Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sweet potatoes vs normal potatoes

According to my fitness pal 100g of sweet potato has 24g of carbs and white potatoes similar quantities. Sowhy do people suggest to eat sweet potatoes, esp during a cut?

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Perhaps because some folks find that sweet potato fries taste awesome, even better than regular fries.

bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bzman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sweet potatoes taste better imo. And I also believe they have more dietary fibre, minerals, vitamins in them
    **ALPHA CREW**

HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Because white potatoes are the devil

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Because people are unaware that there is little difference. Personally it is preference. Why eat a red apple vs a green apple???

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sweet potato is a good source of fibre and vitamin A.

Plus they taste 100000000 better than normal pots (IMO)

But tbh I don't know how much fiber/vit A is in normal pots, so I don't know if they're better or worse.

KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Perhaps because some folks find that sweet potato fries taste awesome, even better than regular fries.
    This is a fact. Not subject for debate. If you disagree, you're wrong.

Now I want sweet potato fries. Damn.

so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tried sweet potato fries for the first time a couple months ago, I thought they were absolutely disgusting.

Sorry for being wrong

HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by so far away View Post
    I tried sweet potato fries for the first time a couple months ago, I thought they were absolutely disgusting.

Sorry for being wrong
    Tempted

You must have done it wrong.

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Sorry for being wrong
    Go to your room.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Sorry for being wrong
    You probably don't even like key lime pie.

KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KayPS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Sorry for being wrong
    Prepare for red.

so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) so far away is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^lol

You probably don't even like key lime pie.
    To be honest, I've never had it but it looks/sounds good.

Edit: I've was always a picky under eating kid so I didn't experience much of the food kingdom.

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    It is all in how you prepare them

I'm a pretty darn good cook and have some how managed to get a lot of people I know to look past what they think they do not like. I like to fry my sweet tatters in bacon grease, coconut oil, or sausage fat so they can soak up all that flavor. Same thing I'd do with other potatoes.

To be honest, I've never had it but it looks/sounds good.
    Joe's Stone Crab in Miami has the best key lime pie ever, so if you're going to try it, I suggest tying it there.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Alan Aragon
    Myth #2: "Sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes."

The origin: Because most Americans eat the highly processed version of the white potato—for instance, french fries and potato chips—consumption of this root vegetable has been linked to obesity and an increased diabetes risk. Meanwhile, sweet potatoes, which are typically eaten whole, have been celebrated for being rich in nutrients and also having a lower glycemic index than their white brethren.

What science really shows: White potatoes and sweet potatoes have complementary nutritional differences; one isn't necessarily better than the other. For instance, sweet potatoes have more fiber and vitamin A, but white potatoes are higher in essential minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and potassium. As for the glycemic index, sweet potatoes are lower on the scale, but baked white potatoes typically aren't eaten without cheese, sour cream, or butter. These toppings all contain fat, which lowers the glycemic index of a meal.

The bottom line: The form in which you consume a potato—for instance, a whole baked potato versus a processed potato that's used to make chips—is more important than the type of spud.
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/fo...#ixzz2UcS6jQXe

dtcummings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dtcummings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dtcummings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The same reason some people prefer eat brown rice over white rice. The extra nutrients and vitamins.

Originally Posted by dtcummings View Post
    The same reason some people prefer eat brown rice over white rice. The extra nutrients and vitamins.
    Actually, the reason lots of people perfer to consume brown rice over white rice or no rice at all is simply because they're misinformed.

And some food for thought on the subject:

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Re: brown rice vs white, technically, brown rice would be a slightly inferior choice to white rice from the standpoint of nutrient bioavailability & nitrogen retention.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...ubmed_RVDocSum

dtcummings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dtcummings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dtcummings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Actually, the reason lots of people perfer to consume brown rice over white rice or no rice at all is simply because they're misinformed.

And some food for thought on the subject:
    Great news. I love white rice

aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000) aer_vlad is just really nice. (+1000)
    I can't remember where I read this, but if I recall, brown rice has considerably higher levels of arsenic than white rice. I guess rice is known for having arsenic? Lol.
    I can resist everything except temptation.

mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mamosixx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also heard that sweet potato releases energy slower (maybe duo to higher fibre) and is lower in the glyceminc index. T or f?

Originally Posted by mamosixx View Post
    I also heard that sweet potato releases energy slower (maybe duo to higher fibre) and is lower in the glyceminc index. T or f?
    True, but irrelevant.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I like the beta carotene in sweet potatoes. Makes you look good.
    http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog...ul-skin-color/

Food for thought: If you were to care about GI, then you would prefer a can of full sugar Coke to either a white potato or a sweet potato, as the GI of the boiled potatoes are 82 and 70 respectively, but a can of full sugar coke has a GI of only 63. And a Pizza Hut Super Supreme comes in at a very low 36, so I guess you might want to eat that and only that.

Now do you see the problem?

aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) aaronuconn has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I prefer sweet potatoes over any other type, but that's just personal taste preference. The extra vitamin A is nice, though.

Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    True, but not true on this forum.
    Obese until 19, anorexic/bad lifting 19 1/2-21 1/2, proper nutrition/lifting 21 1/2-now
    April 2013 competed in NPC Natural Indiana placing 4th in Bantam Weight Class Mens Open Bodybuilding.
    Logging Glyco-Energy- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153436441&p=1058955631#post1058955631
    Competition Log- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153643291

BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BrentEvo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Sorry for being wrong
    You're on time out, go play with the 15 lb dumbells...
    Portlandbrent C@youtube.com for my workout routines! Copy and paste link if not clickable:)

My girlfriend lifts more than you do:)

Seems like the longer I train the luckier I get.

Cardio sucks.

GH15 approved

Originally Posted by Mrricco View Post
    That's nonsence. People here acknowledge it is true, but also that is irrelevant unless diabetic.

Originally Posted by Mrricco View Post
    So you prefer full sugar coke or, better yet, Pizza Hut Supreme Pizza to sweet patatos because of the lower GI, right?

Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrricco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by HealingHands8 View Post
    That's nonsence. People here acknowledge it is true, but also that is irrelevant unless diabetic.
    From this thread I see nothing but saying herp derp eating White Potato's all day, IIFYM. Enjoy the insulin spikes, and fast acting carbs. Instead of slow carbs from SP, that doesn't spike insulin.
    White for Post, SP for rest of day.
    Obese until 19, anorexic/bad lifting 19 1/2-21 1/2, proper nutrition/lifting 21 1/2-now
    April 2013 competed in NPC Natural Indiana placing 4th in Bantam Weight Class Mens Open Bodybuilding.
    Logging Glyco-Energy- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153436441&p=1058955631#post1058955631
    Competition Log- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153643291