Jordancon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What should I use?

Hey,

I don't really know where to start but here it goes.

Basically at the moment, Im really weak and scrawny(ish) for my age and size (18~6'1 170-180lbs) and have never lifted weights, and barely exercised.

Goals (No specific numerical goal or order)
    -*STRONGER*(Everything ~ arms, chest, back, legs, core)
    -Bigger (Mainly arms)
    -Conditioning
    -Real-life/ everyday usable strength
    -Explosiveness
    -Balance & co-ordination
    -Kickboxing and or jiujitsu orientated strength & conditioning (Punching, kicking, grappling strength.)
    - 185 to 200 lbs

My problem is Im not too sure as what to buy, either kettle-bells or dumbbells or maybe even both? These exercises will be done at home in a smaller room. So I am limited to body weight exercises, and dumbbells or kettle bells. Im just not sure which will benefit me more to suit my goals. What can I use and what can I do at home to get me started.

Also, if you recommend one or the other or both, could you also give a workout routine/ exercises?

Sorry if all of this is confusing, thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Jordancon; 08-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    What you want is a solid routine and a membership to a gym, at least for a few months to see if this is something you can actually stick with. This will also show you what equipment you actually use and therefore what you need to buy for at home if you decide to build a home gm at a later date.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Wildtim has given you good advice about joining a gym.

I do think that kettlebell training could help you meet some of your goals, especially with conditioning, balance, coordination, and grip strength all of which are important for your martial arts goal. I encourage you to look for a gym which not only has kettlebells, but which offers kettlebell instruction. For any type of weight training, it is important that you use good form. This may be especially true of kettlebell training since many of the movements are dynamic in nature. The elements of form learned in kettlebell training will, for the most part, carry over to other types of weight training as well, so even if you decide that it's not for you, it won't be a total waste as you will have hopefully learned some fundamental principles which will benefit you in whatever it is that you try next.
    Last edited by KBKB; 08-16-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxiimee05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    to buy a membership at the gym could be the best choice to do
    ☆☆ START/CURRENT/GOAL ☆☆

BENCH PRESS: 95/230/275
    DEADLIFT: 135/275/365
    SQUAT: 135/255/315
    OVERHEAD PRESS: 65/140/185
    BARBELL ROW: ?/165/225
    PULL UPS: ?/12/30

Jordancon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone! I think Im going to go with the kettle-bells. At the MA center they have all the equipment and full access to it with a membership! Im not completely new and clueless to weight training I have done some and worked on technique, I just don't think I have done enough to classify it as anything. But for kettle-bells I will be careful and work on technique for sure.

What I want is just something I can do at home in case I cant make it to the gym or if I go anywhere and I cant access a gym I can just bring the kettle-bells/ dumbbells and pull up bar with me!

I am aware that kettle-bells aren't going to get me huge and really strong but at this point, I figure doing anything will get me stronger and a little bigger. and I like the concept of kettle-bells giving everyday real world strength along with good co-ordination and balance.

So yeah... I figure I will get kettle-bells, and do a workout with them and various body weight exercises then do your basic power-lifting exercises such as bench, squat, dead lift, overhead press and bent over row. I have the technique on those down, just a matter of the kettle-bells, Ill have to take it slow with them!

Does that sound good? again Ill have full access to the equipment in the martial arts center along with help!

Again, thanks for all your help!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Jordancon View Post
    Does that sound good? again Ill have full access to the equipment in the martial arts center along with help!
    Sounds okay to me.

Two movements to begin with are kettlebell swings and the Turkish Get Up. It's easy to do both of these wrong, so try to get instruction from someone who knows how to do them at the martial arts center.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14