ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Contraceptive and bodybuilding

Looking for some pretty scientific information here. Through talking with the girls at my gym and my trainer, it has occurred to me that if I really want to get down to my BF% goals (10% for contest), I may need to look at the potential of switching my Birth Control method (currently the pill). I'd love to completely go off birth control, but my husband and I just are not ready for kids (just yet!...like 4 more years!)

Do any of you have any insight on what form is best used in this sport, or have any personal experiences? I've really been searching for some insight, but am getting conflicting information.

IUD w/ hormones (Mirena)
    IUC w/o hormones
    The shot

I'm just afraid my doctor doesn't really understand how serious I am about not getting any added hormones, or at least not having the lowest form of hormones released for birth control.
    Thanks in advance
    "Go big or go home"...

mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ktkoch View Post
    Looking for some pretty scientific information here. Through talking with the girls at my gym and my trainer, it has occurred to me that if I really want to get down to my BF% goals (10% for contest), I may need to look at the potential of switching my Birth Control method (currently the pill). I'd love to completely go off birth control, but my husband and I just are not ready for kids (just yet!...like 4 more years!)

Do any of you have any insight on what form is best used in this sport, or have any personal experiences? I've really been searching for some insight, but am getting conflicting information.

IUD w/ hormones (Mirena)
    IUC w/o hormones
    The shot

I'm just afraid my doctor doesn't really understand how serious I am about not getting any added hormones, or at least not having the lowest form of hormones released for birth control.
    Thanks in advance
    I've never been as low a bf% as what you're aiming for, but I can tell you that I didn't have any trouble losing weight before (from 145ish down to 120ish) and I was on contraception and I used both the patch and pill. Not at the same time, of course I would also warn against using the shot (guessing you mean the Depo shot?)...most, but not all, women I knew who used it either ended up gaining weight (more than just a few lbs) or they had horrible behavioral side effects. Sorry I don't have anything more scientific for you.
    "Do not give away to others what you have not first given away at home." unknown
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." George Eliot, pen name of Mary Ann Evans

Proud wife and mommy.

Every saint has a past.

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)

IUD w/ hormones (Mirena)
    IUC w/o hormones
    The shot
    If you can, it might be worth getting your doctor to do blood work for your base hormone levels (estrogen, progesterone, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, and androgens (free testosterone, DHEA-S)) to help determine which method of birth control will best suit you. Most women find it takes a little trial and error to figure out what their bodies are happiest with, because we all have general levels for hormones that "work" for us better than others.

You're probably looking for a method that is low in estrogen (estrogen is usually what is associated with weight gain in women taking oral contraceptives http://www.buzzle.com/articles/estro...ight-gain.html) and anywhere from low to high doses of progesterone. "Estrogen dominance", when your estrogen is much higher than progesterone, is what many doctors associate with the slowed metabolism (and weight gain) that women experience, but the high estrogen also can cause a lot of water retention, which can look like fat gains. I'm sure you know how to deal with water retention issues though. Not all women experience any bloating or change in metabolism though, so you can't totally know how your body will react until you start something.

Ideally, you want a method low in estrogen, "healthy" in progesterone*, and high in androgens. Not a lot of birth control is high on the "androgen index", but for someone who builds, the extra testosterone could be very beneficial. *Progesterone is a really tricky one, because some women really benefit from high progesterone and others from low. Most women find that progesterone only pills or very low estrogen, higher progesterone pills have less associated weight gain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progestogen-only_pill). Base hormone levels would be nice so you can know what you're body is already working with (if you've got high progesterone already, a high progesterone method might be bad, but if it's low, it might be good).

If you're considering oral contraceptives, you want to make sure you stay away from Diane-35 or anything else that has Cyproterone acetate (an anti-androgen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproterone) in it, as that could seriously hurt your muscle development/physique. You might have great luck with Loestrin - it's the highest oral contraceptive on the androgen index (a lot of women don't like it because it can be a little "unfeminizing", but unless you're at great risk for hair loss, you'd probably really enjoy the extra androgens) and it's very low estrogen. Most women think oral contraceptives cause weight gain, but it's very composition dependent. Studies have shown that women on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (which has mid range estrogen and progesterone) experience no more weight gain than women on sugar pills http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/bir...lljstthefa.htm . Some women have trouble losing weight on the pill, others have trouble gaining it. For oral contraceptives: it depends both on your base hormone levels, your metabolism and genetics - http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm (a chart with all the standard birth control pills and hormone levels).

Now, IUDs with hormones are a little differently, because they are supposed to directly deliver to hormones to the womb. In a lot of cases, women still see elevated levels in their blood, so it's not a perfect system, but the levels are usually lower than in oral contraceptives. Now, even though it's usually estrogen that people associate with weight gain, these progesterone-only IUDs like Mirena also have weight gain as their number 1 side effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_wit...traindications). What's strange about Levonorgestrel (the synthetic progesterone used in Mirena and others) is that weight gain is not a common side effect with it when taken orally, but is when it is used as an IUD (http://www.drugs.com/sfx/levonorgest...e-effects.html). Why that's the case, I'm honestly not sure, but Mirena is notorious for weight gain issues (especially in women with already low metabolisms). I'd also stay away from anything with Levonorgestrel because it decreases testosterone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levonor...l#Side_effects .

The Copper IUDs, since they're not hormonal, don't have weight gain associated with them, but some women have allergy related issues - if you can't wear copper/cheap jewelry, you can't "wear" a copper IUD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_wit...traindications

The shots, DMPA/Depo Provera, are synthetic progesterone again and there is also significant reported fat gains associated with their use (although it is reversible after you stop using hormonal birth control) http://contraception.about.com/od/de...weightgain.htm

Sounds like your options are oral contraceptive (if you can take them day to day), which will take some trial and error, or the non-hormonal IUD.
    Last edited by goalorientgirl; 05-25-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow! thank you so much! you took so much time and effort to answer my post....Thank you thank you!

I'm thinking the non-hormonal IUD, but the one the pill that had the androgen option is intriguing as well. I will use your post to further my search on the internet. Thank you!
    "Go big or go home"...

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow! thank you so much! you took so much time and effort to answer my post....Thank you thank you!

I'm thinking the non-hormonal IUD, but the one the pill that had the androgen option is intriguing as well. I will use your post to further my search on the internet. Thank you!
    No problem and good luck. I think Loestrin or the non-hormonal IUD could both work well for you -- a little Google and a little chat with your doctor and you'll hopefully make a decision you'll be happy with.
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Some doctors will not recommend the use of copper IUDs for women who have not had children due to the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease and resulting infertility.

I have had a Mirena IUD for 4.5 years (getting it changed this year). I did not gain weight from it nor did either of my 2 friends who have one. By going off the pill, I found I was able to gain more muscle than I had been able to previously. As your typical ectomorph, hardgainer, any little bit helps!
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou View Post
    Some doctors will not recommend the use of copper IUDs for women who have not had children due to the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease and resulting infertility.

I have had a Mirena IUD for 4.5 years (getting it changed this year). I did not gain weight from it nor did either of my 2 friends who have one. By going off the pill, I found I was able to gain more muscle than I had been able to previously. As your typical ectomorph, hardgainer, any little bit helps!
    THank you for the post...Honestly, it's not weight gain I'm concerned about, it's having the ability to get down to the low BF% to compete in figure. concerned that if I am on a hormonal birth control that I may not be able to get as low as I need/want to.

I certainly wouldn't want to have PID......I will re-visit with my doctor for sure.
    "Go big or go home"...

MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have been the same as you as far as BF and bc. I've studied fertility for years and as far birth control... I would say to go without the hormone type ones. The best option being the IUC... but as other mentions as far as PID- OUCH! There's a new one out that's implanted in your wrist, but I haven't read too much about it just yet. Taken out every 12 years just doesn't seem appealing to a point I won't read up on it too much. Obviously hormonal!
    Trauma survivor and women's advocate since 2007.

mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by goalorientgirl View Post
    If you can, it might be worth getting your doctor to do blood work for your base hormone levels (estrogen, progesterone, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, and androgens (free testosterone, DHEA-S)) to help determine which method of birth control will best suit you. Most women find it takes a little trial and error to figure out what their bodies are happiest with, because we all have general levels for hormones that "work" for us better than others.

You're probably looking for a method that is low in estrogen (estrogen is usually what is associated with weight gain in women taking oral contraceptives http://www.buzzle.com/articles/estro...ight-gain.html) and anywhere from low to high doses of progesterone. "Estrogen dominance", when your estrogen is much higher than progesterone, is what many doctors associate with the slowed metabolism (and weight gain) that women experience, but the high estrogen also can cause a lot of water retention, which can look like fat gains. I'm sure you know how to deal with water retention issues though. Not all women experience any bloating or change in metabolism though, so you can't totally know how your body will react until you start something.

Ideally, you want a method low in estrogen, "healthy" in progesterone*, and high in androgens. Not a lot of birth control is high on the "androgen index", but for someone who builds, the extra testosterone could be very beneficial. *Progesterone is a really tricky one, because some women really benefit from high progesterone and others from low. Most women find that progesterone only pills or very low estrogen, higher progesterone pills have less associated weight gain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progestogen-only_pill). Base hormone levels would be nice so you can know what you're body is already working with (if you've got high progesterone already, a high progesterone method might be bad, but if it's low, it might be good).

If you're considering oral contraceptives, you want to make sure you stay away from Diane-35 or anything else that has Cyproterone acetate (an anti-androgen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproterone) in it, as that could seriously hurt your muscle development/physique. You might have great luck with Loestrin - it's the highest oral contraceptive on the androgen index (a lot of women don't like it because it can be a little "unfeminizing", but unless you're at great risk for hair loss, you'd probably really enjoy the extra androgens) and it's very low estrogen. Most women think oral contraceptives cause weight gain, but it's very composition dependent. Studies have shown that women on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (which has mid range estrogen and progesterone) experience no more weight gain than women on sugar pills http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/bir...lljstthefa.htm . Some women have trouble losing weight on the pill, others have trouble gaining it. For oral contraceptives: it depends both on your base hormone levels, your metabolism and genetics - http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm (a chart with all the standard birth control pills and hormone levels).

Now, IUDs with hormones are a little differently, because they are supposed to directly deliver to hormones to the womb. In a lot of cases, women still see elevated levels in their blood, so it's not a perfect system, but the levels are usually lower than in oral contraceptives. Now, even though it's usually estrogen that people associate with weight gain, these progesterone-only IUDs like Mirena also have weight gain as their number 1 side effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_wit...traindications). What's strange about Levonorgestrel (the synthetic progesterone used in Mirena and others) is that weight gain is not a common side effect with it when taken orally, but is when it is used as an IUD (http://www.drugs.com/sfx/levonorgest...e-effects.html). Why that's the case, I'm honestly not sure, but Mirena is notorious for weight gain issues (especially in women with already low metabolisms). I'd also stay away from anything with Levonorgestrel because it decreases testosterone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levonor...l#Side_effects .

The Copper IUDs, since they're not hormonal, don't have weight gain associated with them, but some women have allergy related issues - if you can't wear copper/cheap jewelry, you can't "wear" a copper IUD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_wit...traindications

The shots, DMPA/Depo Provera, are synthetic progesterone again and there is also significant reported fat gains associated with their use (although it is reversible after you stop using hormonal birth control) http://contraception.about.com/od/de...weightgain.htm

Sounds like your options are oral contraceptive (if you can take them day to day), which will take some trial and error, or the non-hormonal IUD.
    Awesome info! anything about the nuva ring? on my second month with it to bring on my lost period of 3 yrs. Chose it because it has the lowest levels of estrogen..apparently lower than loestrin (according to what i read) What do you think? yay or nay?

lilspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilspoon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am not an expert on this but I will just share my personal experience with the limited types of birth control I have used and maybe someone here can benefit. Keep in mind this is all just personal experience and you might have a different results.

A little history on me, I had always been on the thin side even when eating like crap. I never really paid attention to calories or weight but I stayed about 122-125ish.

The Shot- In Jan 2010 I got the depo shot since my husband and I aren't wanting the babies yet. I was 18 and pretty much just naively waltzed into the clinic, told them I wanted birth control and they recommended the shot for me since all you have to do is come in once every 3 months to get it. They didn't really explain the side effects to me (weight gain, mental instability, and bone loss to name a few), but it was my fault for not researching well. The first 3 months went ok, I noticed a little weight gain (3-5lbs) and my husband and I started to notice some overly emotional tendencies, and I went 2 months without a period, but I thought it would level out and went ahead and got the second shot. Big mistake. The next time I started my cycle it lasted for 6 months straight (I am talking 24/7 bleeding, ladies!). My weight ballooned to 145lbs by July (even though I joined a gym and became a regular and started watching what I was eating for the first time in my life) and while I could struggle it down to about 142lbs, the scale for the most part would not budge. I also became an emotional wreck. I was a completely different person, I was pretty much a monster and very depressed (The weight gain added to the depression). I didn't get another shot but it lingers in your body for FOREVER (exaggerating a little). My period finally ended but came every other week for about 5 months and has been all over the place since then. Getting rid of the weight seemed impossible. I hit the gym for cardio almost daily and tried all manner of diets. I even cut calories to barely anything at some points just out of frustration but the scale would not dip below 140lbs. Luckily in March of this year (one year after my last shot) the weight just melted off as if by magic (funnily enough I was burnt out so I wasn't even going to the gym just watching what I was eating) and I am now staying between 120-125lbs and I even have muscle from doing strength exercises Sadly, I don't think my body will ever be the same and I will probably always have to stay extremely active and watch what I eat

Paragard IUD (the one without hormones)- Needless to say I was very wary of hormones. The PA I saw offered to place a copper iud for me and I thought it would be a great idea. I got it in the midst of my never ending period, and it turned the annoying bleeding and mild cramps into a freakishly painful nightmare. I lasted 3 months of hoping it would get better (at the insistence of the PA) before I finally had enough and I had it removed. I guess mine is kind of a horror story when it comes to the iud, when I got it placed it was supposed to be a quick in and out procedure with only mild discomfort. It ended up taking her over half an hour to get it set in there right and it was extremely painful. I ended up spending 3 days in bed in agony and she had to prescribe prescription pain killers (I am not a fan of taking things in general, but I honestly was in so much pain). The cramps were never ending and at times crippling. I did get a major kidney infection that had me home from work for 5 days and that's when I had it removed (while they were probably unrelated that was kinda the last straw for me). The infection and cramps went away almost immediately after it's removal.

Yaz- I probably liked this bc the best of the three although I only stayed on it a month (I actually just got off it). After the iud I didn't take anything for about 7 months but I decided to try something very low dose to get my periods under control. I actually was able to keep losing weight while I took it. The reason I decided to stop taking it was because I experienced a lot of nausea and I became very emotional to the point my husband pleaded with me to get off it. I have read though that if you take it 3 months the nausea symptoms should level out.

Sorry for the long read, but I hope somebody can benefit from my experiences with these three forms of birth control. I have also heard that the NuvaRing is very good, being even lower dose than Yaz, but I am so burnt out on messing with my hormones anymore that it will probably be a while until I try anything else.

cliffs:
    Depo- made me fat and unable to lose weight, crazy, and a never ending period for 6 months.
    IUD (copper)- Gave me cramps from hell.
    Yaz- was able to lose weight but the nausea and emotional tendencies got to me.

larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

depo = no energy

After getting the Depo, im flat... i just find it hard to keep my energy up when working out, and often fancy a little nap, more so than before.... I have had random spotting and mood swings.. so overall, i dont like that particular one

larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) larzishere has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by lilspoon View Post
    I am not an expert on this but I will just share my personal experience with the limited types of birth control I have used and maybe someone here can benefit. Keep in mind this is all just personal experience and you might have a different results.

A little history on me, I had always been on the thin side even when eating like crap. I never really paid attention to calories or weight but I stayed about 122-125ish.

The Shot- In Jan 2010 I got the depo shot since my husband and I aren't wanting the babies yet. I was 18 and pretty much just naively waltzed into the clinic, told them I wanted birth control and they recommended the shot for me since all you have to do is come in once every 3 months to get it. They didn't really explain the side effects to me (weight gain, mental instability, and bone loss to name a few), but it was my fault for not researching well. The first 3 months went ok, I noticed a little weight gain (3-5lbs) and my husband and I started to notice some overly emotional tendencies, and I went 2 months without a period, but I thought it would level out and went ahead and got the second shot. Big mistake. The next time I started my cycle it lasted for 6 months straight (I am talking 24/7 bleeding, ladies!). My weight ballooned to 145lbs by July (even though I joined a gym and became a regular and started watching what I was eating for the first time in my life) and while I could struggle it down to about 142lbs, the scale for the most part would not budge. I also became an emotional wreck. I was a completely different person, I was pretty much a monster and very depressed (The weight gain added to the depression). I didn't get another shot but it lingers in your body for FOREVER (exaggerating a little). My period finally ended but came every other week for about 5 months and has been all over the place since then. Getting rid of the weight seemed impossible. I hit the gym for cardio almost daily and tried all manner of diets. I even cut calories to barely anything at some points just out of frustration but the scale would not dip below 140lbs. Luckily in March of this year (one year after my last shot) the weight just melted off as if by magic (funnily enough I was burnt out so I wasn't even going to the gym just watching what I was eating) and I am now staying between 120-125lbs and I even have muscle from doing strength exercises Sadly, I don't think my body will ever be the same and I will probably always have to stay extremely active and watch what I eat

Paragard IUD (the one without hormones)- Needless to say I was very wary of hormones. The PA I saw offered to place a copper iud for me and I thought it would be a great idea. I got it in the midst of my never ending period, and it turned the annoying bleeding and mild cramps into a freakishly painful nightmare. I lasted 3 months of hoping it would get better (at the insistence of the PA) before I finally had enough and I had it removed. I guess mine is kind of a horror story when it comes to the iud, when I got it placed it was supposed to be a quick in and out procedure with only mild discomfort. It ended up taking her over half an hour to get it set in there right and it was extremely painful. I ended up spending 3 days in bed in agony and she had to prescribe prescription pain killers (I am not a fan of taking things in general, but I honestly was in so much pain). The cramps were never ending and at times crippling. I did get a major kidney infection that had me home from work for 5 days and that's when I had it removed (while they were probably unrelated that was kinda the last straw for me). The infection and cramps went away almost immediately after it's removal.

Yaz- I probably liked this bc the best of the three although I only stayed on it a month (I actually just got off it). After the iud I didn't take anything for about 7 months but I decided to try something very low dose to get my periods under control. I actually was able to keep losing weight while I took it. The reason I decided to stop taking it was because I experienced a lot of nausea and I became very emotional to the point my husband pleaded with me to get off it. I have read though that if you take it 3 months the nausea symptoms should level out.

Sorry for the long read, but I hope somebody can benefit from my experiences with these three forms of birth control. I have also heard that the NuvaRing is very good, being even lower dose than Yaz, but I am so burnt out on messing with my hormones anymore that it will probably be a while until I try anything else.

cliffs:
    Depo- made me fat and unable to lose weight, crazy, and a never ending period for 6 months.
    IUD (copper)- Gave me cramps from hell.
    Yaz- was able to lose weight but the nausea and emotional tendencies got to me.
    Oh and thanks for this, it has confirmed for me, that which i have suspected.... i am so sorry to hear Depo did this to you... me too - dont i wish i'd done that research xxx

greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I'm switching to the iud in august for the same reasons. Hopefully it'll help
    *"Obession is just a word the lazy try to call the dedicated"*--not mine, but a great quote!

Protein is to diets what black is to fashion: It makes everyone thinner." -- Lou Schuler

~A WOMAN'S PLACE IS IN THE WEIGHT ROOM!~

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    At the risk of stating the obvious... condoms?

greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    At the risk of stating the obvious... condoms?
    ^most men complain about them^
    *"Obession is just a word the lazy try to call the dedicated"*--not mine, but a great quote!

Protein is to diets what black is to fashion: It makes everyone thinner." -- Lou Schuler

~A WOMAN'S PLACE IS IN THE WEIGHT ROOM!~

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Oh condoms are definitely less than ideal. But they're better than unplanned pregnancy and STDs - r even worse, gaining less muscle than you could be