Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Paul_Rockey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Need help with training clients

Good morning, ladies.

My supervisor has been questioning my ability to train clients in the gym, and is afraid to give me new clients. At my location (which is a commercial chain), 90% of the clients are 25-50 something females with little to no experience with working out. I wanted to hear you guys' 2 cents on my way of doing things...

Say I get a new client who has little to no experience in the gym. Typically, they will meet with me twice per week for a half hour. With some, I'm lucky to get three times per week for an hour.

In my opinion, I find it best to start them with a routine that focuses on muscular strength. For instance, if I see them twice a week, I will have them do 5 sets of 5 reps on Bench press, Squat (or Goblet Squat), and Bent-over Row one day, and then Deadlift, Military Press, and Assisted Pullups (or Pulldown) on the second day. I tell them to avoid excessive cardio, for it might compromise their strength gains for the cycle. (Keep in mind, this is just for the first month or two, to establish a solid strength base.)

If I see them three times per week, I will run them through Bill Starr's 5x5 program, seen here: Eclipse Gym :: View topic - Bill Starr 5x5 Primer - How to create your own 5x5 program

After about 1 to 2 months of basic strength training, I will maintain their strength with Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 rep scheme, still using the same basic exercises, twice per week. Right after the heavy lifting, I'll take them through a 2-4 rounds of a circuit that consists of a variety of exericses with higher reps, including Burpees, plyometrics, plate pushing, pushups, etc, which take about 2 minutes per round. Pretty similar to the information described here: http://sherdognet.craveonline.com/in...ndurance.html/ So, we are still lifting heavy during the sessions, but in much lowered volume. This way, we can have to energy to perform more cardio-based activites after, and during other days of the week. And at this point, they can really start burning some serious fat, if their diet is correct.

My reasoning behind focusing on the heavy lifting so much at first (even if the person is trying to lose weight), is that they typically have no strength or ability to perform the faster paced workouts in the circuit training.

I've seen it happen before, where I have a client who does not want to lift heavy, for fear that they will "bulk up." So, I say "okay", and just have them do high-reps on the machines, or directly go to the circuit training. With the former, they never see significant results. And with the latter, they simply burn out after a couple weeks.

However, if they build a solid base of strength at first (which will prevent injury, improve their posture, increase their metabolism, and give them better balance and ability to perform exercises properly), they have a much easier time losing weight when we go into the higher-intensity circuit-style workouts that involve higher reps and shorter rest.

MY BIG QUESTION to you all is: Is any of this wrong, or less than ideal for the average gym client? I'm talking about the run-of-the-mill, 25-50 year-olds who want to "tone-up" and lose 15-30 pounds, usually female, and have very little experience in the gym.

My supervisors all tell me I am wrong and that heavy lifting is not the way go, and to go for higher reps with lower weight. They also tell me to use more variety in my exercises, saying that bench, squats, and deadlifts aren't everything. BUT THEY ARE!, I say. Tell me what you guys think.
    NSCA CSCS, Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think you should start by finding out your cilents' goals and wishes first lol.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    I think you should start by finding out your cilents' goals and wishes first lol.
    This really, but you know body weight excercises can be just as useful, you dont have to do weights right off and you dont have to use the machines.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What I'm curious about is what the feedback of your clients is. ARe they seeing results? Are they satisfied with the way you tailor your workouts towards their goals?

I think you are right in your approach in general, but I think the gym is quite harsh in their response, so I'm wondering where that stems from.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..
    http://www.iherb.com?rcode=EKE466

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Like Rowyn suggested, first find out what the client's goals are. Most women don't even think about getting stronger until they have played around with fitness for a while. And that's perfectly acceptable. I would assume that most of your clients come to you because they want to look better in their clothes, or, perhaps, out of their clothes.

If I were their trainer I would do whatever it took to keep them interested and coming back while getting them solid results. That doesn't mean you have to compromise your ideals. Keep telling them the benefit of getting stronger. Keep touting the statement that getting stronger doesn't mean a woman will end up looking like the hulk. Keep reinforcing those things. But give them the results they are looking for, or at least give them the tools to get it. Otherwise you'll just end up losing your clients to other trainers, which it sounds like is already happening.

I have to commend you, though, for putting the women through solid training and encouraging them to get stronger. There are many trainers out their who don't know jack-diddly about lifting and have their clients do crazy stuff like 55 reps with the 3 pounders while standing on a pilates ball.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think you're exactly right. However, your clients are most likely not ready to listen or agree with what you are having them do. Since your management isn't giving you new clients then either A) they are getting feedback from clients that you aren't hearing or B) your management are idiots. Either way if you want the job you have to do what both groups want.

I'd do it managements' way and then as you work with the client soft sell your way. See if they bite. Let them ask for the change. Oh, and if you work at a place like Planet Fitness forget it. You'll never be able to do it your way.

ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've never gotten a trainer and it's because most of them don't do what you're doing.
    I think only people with some basic experience and knowledge accept and appreciate and understand what you're trying to do.
    Are you working at a gym as a trainer because it's what's best for you, currently? Have you thought about doing it independently, with maybe some actualy bodybuilders or people with some experience looking for a great trainer?
    If you lived close to me, I'd employ you in a heartbeat!
    I don't see anything wrong with your approach, no matter the client's goals. If you wanna get nice and lean, you gotta be strong and build some muslce because we all know more muscle=more calories burned at rest/at work. Without strength, you ain't got jack s***.
    So maybe you're in a position to tell your gym to F off. If not, I suggest doing what Freebird stated above and soft sell your approach to them. Show them you know what you're talking about. Maybe that'll work.
    My first powerlifting meet: October 5th 2013

nickys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nickys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don't ask us, ask your clients. I have hired a trainer for short periods (a few months here, a few months there - post-baby, pre-wedding) and that was solely to get one session a week where I don't have to think and I can do an high intensity circuit type session with exercises and equipment I wouldn't normally choose myself, or have access to (boxing stuff, for example). For some reason all my trainers have also always trained me with the intention of trying to make me puke, and that's the way I've liked it.

bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Training is totally client dependent and there is no way every person you meet should be doing the same workout. As others have asked, what do clients tell you? Have they stopped training with you--a big red flag for management.

I have some clients who want to crawl out of the gym when we are finished (and have been that way since day 1). Others don't even want to "feel it" in the muscle we happen to be working because they are afraid of injury. The sessions may bore the hell outta you, but you need to understand different comfort levels. Not everyone wants to be big and strong, moving their body for that 30min with you is all they want and need.

Once you've earned trust and have established a relationship, you can start to push outside of their comfort zones and they'll be more likely to respond positively.