Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000)

My Rippetoe's Texas Method Log (Spreadsheet Included)

Introduction: I used my apartment complex workout room for about nine months in the past year of lifting weights again (after about five years off). All I had was a Smith Machine, some leg machines, and dumbbells that went up to 45lb. I now workout at my school with a huge power rack, and tons of dumbbells and machines! I'm so happy! Anyways, I always wore a belt for Squats at my apartment, and I feel like my core is lagging...so in this program, I do not use a belt until Friday comes along.

The Program: I started my new 10-week Texas Method workout last Monday, but I felt like I should start my log up again...because...well, I'm freakin' excited to get stronger and get this new program rolling.

Anyways, I made a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to illustrate my +5 increase in weekly lifts...

Week one was a freakin' huge success. I got 330 on Squat with ease (felt like I could've squeezed at least three more reps out), I got 240 on Bench with ease (my spotter even said it looked like I could do two more), and Deadlift, which is my laggiest lift, was easy as pie.

I started out about 5lbs lower than I "should've" because it's a new program, and I'm trying to familiarize myself with the program, more than I'm trying to show off. I'll leave that for week 10. Anyways, as the spreadsheet points out, the method is 5x5 on Monday/3x3 on Wednesday/1x1 on Friday (it goes up by 1 rep each week, getting as high as 1x3 then resetting back to 1x1).

I'm using this program for strength increases more than any sort of physical changes, although I do plan on seeing muscle size increases over the next 2 1/2 months due to such a rigorous program. Summer is almost in full swing, and I want to come out this August as strong as possible!

The Stats:
    Weight: 226lb - full stomach
    Body Fat: Unknown
    Stats: Squat - 330 lb
    Bench Press - 240 lb
    Deadlift - 295 lb (I did not start Deadlifting until two months ago, once I left my Smith Machine behind)

The Workouts:There's my first four weeks of workouts. I added Incline Bench on Wednesdays, just so I could add some much needed Tricep work, as my Tris seem to be lagging a bit, and it's making my Bench harder to lock-out. As previously mentioned, I didn't miss one rep in week one. Everything went perfect. So let's start with week two:

Tuesday (My gym was closed Monday due to Memorial Day) Week 2, Workout 1:
    Squat 5x5 @ 245lb

I think having a three-day weekend made me a bit lethargic, and the first two sets felt a bit off. But I got all the reps done, and I was really pleased with how efficient it all seemed.

Bench Press 5x5 @ 185lb

This was great. Pure and simple power. I've been really, really worried about my Bench Press...it seems like for about two or three months, I was lagging at a ~205lb max, but now I can feel the reps getting easier each week. I was worried I'd not be able to finish the last few reps on set 5, but nope, I got it done.

Pendlay Rows 5x5 @ 135lb

Nothing to say about this. I felt great doing these.

Dips 3x5 @ +10lb plate

Phew, these felt great. I felt a major burn in my Pecs, and got all 3 sets done just fine.

Pull-Ups 3x5 @ BW + Spotter

I admit, pull-ups are my weak point. Without someone holding my feet, I can only do maybe three...but I'm working on it each week, and I look forward to getting stronger and stronger. I got these three done just fine and felt a great burn in my core (which I fear is lagging).

I look forward to Thursday (which will be Wednesdays' workout), and then Friday (which'll be Friday's workout). This way I can go back to M/W/F next week, and get two days off on this upcoming weekend.
    Last edited by Thanat0s; 06-03-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    http://www.history.com/images/media/slideshow/abraham-lincoln/abraham-lincoln-antietam.jpg
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
    - Abraham Lincoln (1861)

Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000) Thanat0s is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thursday (This is Wednesday's workout) Week 2, Workout 2

Front Squat 3x3 @ 195lb

Got 'em pretty easy, I felt good about it. I really feel it in the Quads too once I'm done...jeez!

Press 3x3 @ 130lb

The first set seemed kind of tough, actually. But the last two were really easy. My shoulders seem to be the laggiest of all my muscle groups, and my Press has been stalling a bit over the months. I hope to destroy any and all plateaus in the next 9 weeks of this program.

Pendlay Rows 3x3 @ 135lb

Felt great as usual. I did it nice and slow today, to really get the Lats in there.

Incline Bench Press 3x3 @ 170lb

Felt great! I really feel my Triceps getting some extra work done! Lockout was easy as pie!

Pull-Ups 3x5 @ BW + Spotter

Did nicely, I really REALLY felt it in my core. I can't wait until I can do these without a spotter!

Lat Pulldowns 3x5 @ 120lb

I did this really, really slow...I wanted to burn the Lats. It felt easy. To be honest, I'm not sure that I even like the Lat machine much...Rows feel so much more useful. Oh well.

Leg Curls 3x5 @ 125lb

Yup, felt good in the Hamstrings and lower-stomach. Burned quite a lot!

The Workout: Today felt really good. This is my second time doing Front Squats in literally five or six years, so I'm getting the hang of it. I need to work on how I grip it. But everything came easy today, and I can just tell I'm getting stronger. I had a gym-mate spot me (hold my legs) for my Pull-Ups, because I can't do all 5 unspotted. But I'm getting there!
    Last edited by Thanat0s; 06-04-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    http://www.history.com/images/media/slideshow/abraham-lincoln/abraham-lincoln-antietam.jpg
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."
    - Abraham Lincoln (1861)

Friday (This is Friday's workout) Week 2, Workout 3:

Squat 1x2 @ 335lb

The first rep was cake, the second one...I had a bit of lower back rounding, but I got it up strong after about one second of struggle in the hole. I'm so excited about getting stronger! I cannot wait to see 405lb!

Bench Press 1x2 @ 245lb

The first rep (again) was cake...the second rep came a bit shaky, and took...eh...two seconds of struggle with my left arm. It's always the darn lockout! But I got both and felt really really good about it...I'm glad that my bench is improving! I've been struggling with it the most out of the three main lifts!

Deadlift 1x2 @ 295lb

Actually, out of the three lifts this was the easiest. I love Deadlifts...truly. I'm still lamenting the fact that I wasn't able to ever do them the first nine months of getting back in the gym, but the last ~three months has really improved my form and weight! Finally burst over 300lb!

Dips @ BW + 10lb

The Workout: I'll admit, I spent all morning questioning whether to go workout today, right after having a workout yesterday. Albeit a light workout yesterday. But, I decided it's best to go today, so I'll have all weekend to rest up and eat. I only got about six hours of sleep last night, too, which was another factor. But I'm really proud that I met my weekly goal, and I look forward to next week! Next week will be really tough, because Friday will be a 3-rep day...ouch!
    - Abraham Lincoln (1861)

Monday Week 3, Workout 1:

Squat 5x5 @ 250lb

Easy as pie today. I felt loose, I felt rested, everything just set into place quite well. I feel good about not wearing a belt as well...I feel like I'm really working my core!

Bench Press 5x5 @ 190lb

Wow, it's as if my Bench Press never stalled. I got all 5 sets up with ease, literally! Even the last rep of the last set was right on the money! I feel great!

Pendlay Rows 5x5 @ 140lb

Out of all the lifts I do, I look forward to Rows the least. I'm just not a fan. But whatever! Today's rows went great! I struggled to get the very last rep on set five, but I got it up there. I could really feel it in my back (especially the lats).

Dips 3x5 @ BW + 10lb

Nothing out of the ordinary here, it felt really good. Burned the hell out of my pecs.

The Workout: I had a great weekend, and ate a cheat meal on Saturday (Spicy Tuna rolls) so I was well-rested and well-fed. I came into the gym prepared, and felt a great mental clarity. I'm really happy about this program so far...I feel like I'm making real progress!
    - Abraham Lincoln (1861)

Monday Week 3, Workout 2:

Front Squat 3x3 @ 200lb

I hate Front Squats, and I really need to work on a better way of holding the weight. Right now I drape the bar across my shoulders and it hurts. All the reps were easy, it's just the freakin' pain from the bar. Oh well!

Press 3x3 @ 135lb

Felt great, got all the reps easily! Yippee!

Pendlay Rows 3x3 @ 140lb

These were really easy as well. Everything felt good, and I was happy to get these out of the way!

Incline Bench 3x3 @ 170lb

Nothing out of the ordinary here, it felt really good. Really felt good for my triceps.

Dumbbell Tricep Extensions 3x5 @ 65lb

Yup, I did something extra for today just to work on the triceps a bit. Felt good, and my arms are getting noticeably bigger!

The Workout: Honestly, I dislike the wednesday workout the most out of all three. But it felt good to go in, get a nice sweat going, and maintain my strength. Friday is going to be a major test for me...three reps at +5lb from last week will be a crazy feat if I can get all my lifts up!
    - Abraham Lincoln (1861)