Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PoiZnVirus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I think I need help or a doctor

Ok look today was my first day of the Kris Gethin 12 week transformation. I'm not used to working out, but even still I'm not sure if that has to do with what the problem is. Ok here's my routine for today, and maybe someone can understand

Day=Monday Date=8/3/09 Time=4:52 PM
    Cardio=Stairmaster for 25 minutes before I start lifting on level 3 intensity.

Chest
    -------------
    Flat Bench Press(warmup 1 set) 15 reps
    (3 working set) 20 weight and 15 reps, then 11 reps on 2nd set, and 7 on 3rd set.===heres my first main problem. After I got done with my first working set my ARMS and BICEPS felt dead like literally it was hard to do much else afterwards, and later on I had problems just putting a bit of weight on it. When I tried to sit down using my arm I practically fell to the floor. Even now 3 hours later my chest doesn't feel worked at all only my arms.
    Incline(warmup) 10 reps
    (3 working sets 10 weight) 6, 7, 15 The last one was after a very long rest. I usually have to rest like 3 minutes or a lot more to even do anything at this point because of the first bench press. Like I said they are dead for some reason.
    Decline(3 working 10 weight) 11. 5. 5

TRICEPS
    -------------
    Cable Tricep Extension(warm up 20 weight) 15
    (3 working 30 weight) 15, 12, 12
    Overhead Cable Extension (3 working 30,20,25 weight) 15, 12, 12
    Skull Crushers(3 working 20 weight) 12,10,8

ABS
    -------
    Crunches- 22, 11, 15===Here comes my final problem. After and during the ab workout it feels like something is crawling thru my abs and tearing them apart and its really painful. I don't know if its a cramp, but it's happened before which is why I dont like to do ab workouts.

Then a 5 minute stairmaster cardio to cooldown and I was done.

What are the problems with me? I know I'm doing the form right on the bench press. And everything else I have no idea.

Registered User InsanityDefined's Avatar
    InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's simple: you're new to this. You're not used to it.

Working out is pretty much putting muscular stress on your body. Not pain, but just working the muscles.

What you felt when you were working out is your muscles being stressed. Being tired. What you feel now is muscle soreness.

Just keep on going. It's going to hurt. If you're really trying to lose weight and get healthy, then this is how to do it. Don't give up.

Also: if you feel soreness in your biceps after a Bench Press you're either:

a) calling your tricep your bicep
    or
    b) performing the bench press incorrectly

The bench press uses your chest and triceps, and 0% biceps.
    No brain, no gain.
    I rep back.

kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree.

I just think you're going thru this because you're not used to it and neither is your body. You have to start out slow and don't give up.

If you feel like it's too much weight, then lower it. Get into a groove before you start the 12 week process. Maybe do you own workout for about a week or two just so your body notices the change.

DO NOT GIVE UP
    No Pain, No Gain

Originally Posted by InsanityDefined View Post
    It's simple: you're new to this. You're not used to it.

Working out is pretty much putting muscular stress on your body. Not pain, but just working the muscles.

What you felt when you were working out is your muscles being stressed. Being tired. What you feel now is muscle soreness.

Just keep on going. It's going to hurt. If you're really trying to lose weight and get healthy, then this is how to do it. Don't give up.

Also: if you feel soreness in your biceps after a Bench Press you're either:

a) calling your tricep your bicep
    or
    b) performing the bench press incorrectly

The bench press uses your chest and triceps, and 0% biceps.
    I was watching the video on how to do it, and my friend who has bodybuilded was there and he said my form was correct. I felt just like all bicep a little bit of tricep of course because it was part of the arm, but like absolutely no chest at all.

Also my reps. Were they ok? they had strange intervals and i know i was supposed to fail between 12-15 but mines got kinda low.
    Last edited by PoiZnVirus; 08-03-2009 at 06:46 PM.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you've never really worked out before that kind of shock to your body is going to hurt. You will need to find that fine line between a good hurt and a bad hurt though.

kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kEEnan6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would do a few sets of Cable flys. That always blows up my chest. Give that a shot for a couple of weeks.
    No Pain, No Gain

Originally Posted by kEEnan6 View Post
    I would do a few sets of Cable flys. That always blows up my chest. Give that a shot for a couple of weeks.
    What exactly is a cable fly?

Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Avila is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i think the cardio winded you out and drained you before you even began lifting weights.

try doing cardio after weights not before.

It should get better as your body adapts.

Btw... where you hydrated? What did you eat before working out.

Maybe for crunches, try and not reach failure in any of the sets... you did 22, 11, 15... try to do next time 13-15 reps for 4 sets or so and then increase the reps per set as your body adapts.

just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Avila View Post
    i think the cardio winded you out and drained you before you even began lifting weights.

try doing cardio after weights not before.

It should get better as your body adapts.

Btw... where you hydrated? What did you eat before working out.

Maybe for crunches, try and not reach failure in any of the sets... you did 22, 11, 15... try to do next time 13-15 reps for 4 sets or so and then increase the reps per set as your body adapts.

just my 2 cents.
    I had protein bar and water before my workout and a whey shake after the workout. I was drinking water while doing the workout also. But ya I think I'll try doing about 5 minutes of cardio beforehand to warmup, and the rest after.

Also i'm following Kris Gethin's 12 week transformation and it says to fail between 12-15 reps
    Last edited by PoiZnVirus; 08-03-2009 at 07:37 PM.

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks. that video helps alot. I was doing it very wrong.

WhiteAfricanSpaceChrist peteskeys's Avatar
    peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PoiZnVirus View Post
    I was watching the video on how to do it, and my friend who has bodybuilded was there and he said my form was correct.

Thanks. that video helps alot. I was doing it very wrong.
    Lol, what happened to your bodybuilding friend's advice?
    Student.

Currently in the midst of a mac and cheese + hamburger helper bulk. Come at me, bodyfat.

When I am a lean 220+ then maybe I'll have an avatar, until then: foreverfaceless.jpg

I rep back.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but I wasn't planting my shoulders or doing the whole elbow thing so that's what I mean when I say I did it very wrong. Also can someone help? My triceps, I think those are what i worked out but it felt like my biceps, but my chest still isn't worked, but anyways my triceps feel EXTREMELY TIGHT. I can't like bend them past 30 degrees. I can't even put a phone to my ear and I think I'll be missing school because I can't get dressed and other things. Is there something wrong or is this a bit normal?

Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm exaggerating a bit, but I wasn't planting my shoulders or doing the whole elbow thing so that's what I mean when I say I did it very wrong. Also can someone help? My triceps, I think those are what i worked out but it felt like my biceps, but my chest still isn't worked, but anyways my triceps feel EXTREMELY TIGHT. I can't like bend them past 30 degrees. I can't even put a phone to my ear and I think I'll be missing school because I can't get dressed and other things. Is there something wrong or is this a bit normal?
    I love the feeling of being sore. I bought a sponge on a stick because I got tired of not being able to wash my back in the shower after working on my arms. As you get into shape, you'll notice that the soreness won't be as bad as the first.

I can't stand it right now. All down teh back of my arms: triceps,elbows,forearms, all hurt a lot and I can't do normal things now. I don't even think I can eat, I can't bring a utensil to my mouth v.v this sux alot. Also I think another reason for this is because i didnt stretch as much as i could mostly to that i dont kno how to stretch the certain muscle groups.

Also another thing noticed. It seems like my right arm hurts and is more restricted significantly more than my left.

ok even more detail and further inspection. It seems like pretty much almost all of the pain is originating about betweent 1 inch from the elbow towards the shoulder.
    Last edited by PoiZnVirus; 08-04-2009 at 04:38 AM.

Registered User InsanityDefined's Avatar
    InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10) InsanityDefined is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, you definately need to be stretching. Stretch before the workout, stretch in between sets (not in between every set, but every now and then), and stretch after.

Not only will it prevent injury, but it prevents a lot of the soreness.
    No brain, no gain.
    I rep back.

hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had protein bar and water before my workout and a whey shake after the workout. I was drinking water while doing the workout also. But ya I think I'll try doing about 5 minutes of cardio beforehand to warmup, and the rest after.

Also i'm following Kris Gethin's 12 week transformation and it says to fail between 12-15 reps
    I'm going to be the bad guy here and say that you should drop the protein bar and the whey shake. Given the shape you are in now you probably don't need to /supplement/ your diet with anything, you need to overhaul it. An extra 400 or 500 calories a day isn't going to do you any favors.

I once trained a guy in the Navy who after a two mile run would drink an entire jug of Gatorade (the family size jug, with the carry handle around the neck) and two power bars. He was burning about 300 calories, but eating 1000.

Stick with proper nutrition and keep with your routine.

then i lose about 70G of protein, and they are part of my meals because I'm at school

sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You will be sore the first week, at least, if not two weeks. When I started my routine in late June the first week I was totally bombed. I couldn't lift my arms, it hurt to move at all.. then it went away.. then I worked my calves for the first time and every morning for five days I would wake up and barely be able to stand up and throughout the day each step was an agonizing ordeal.

It was awesome.

Now I may be a little bit sore after a workout or the day after, but nowhere near to the first week.

I know. It was just so annoying. I don't want the first 2 weeks to interrupt my schedule considering I've got finals week coming up, but I'm not going to stop. This is what I've been motivated for. Now that the pain is mostly gone I'm looking at my arms and I'm screaming "YAAA I DID THAT"

hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10) hamrogers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    then i lose about 70G of protein, and they are part of my meals because I'm at school
    You can easily find cheaper and healthier alternatives to bars and powders. You're going to be eating a lot of sugar, and given your current physical condition you don't need all of that.

Check it out:
    Large egg: 6 grams of protein
    Can of tuna: 32 grams of protein

Two cans of tuna and two eggs in a day will be 76 grams of protein.

In Cleveland, OH a can of tuna costs me $.75, a egg costs $.20 on average, (a dozen costs about $2.50)

Given that a protein bar is typically $2 it would be economically sound to go the route of whole foods rather than supplemental products. Cans of tuna and eggs don't even have to be refrigerated (eggs should be eaten within a week if they are kept at room temperature)
    so if you're living in the dorms it still works out for you.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can't you eat real food? Lean meats like chicken or better yet turkey. Also if your bodybuilder friend doesn't know the proper form for a bench press I don't think I would listen to him for advice. Maybe you should talk to a coach at your school, or drop your "Kris Gethin" routine and try doing push ups and sit ups and some jogging until you get a little more accustomed to exercising.

good luck

Well for 1 I guess I can switch to large eggs and make scrmabled eggs with olive oil for breakfast, and eat a lot more tuna as my lunches. Btw i dont dorm I take the train there, and on the way back I have a protein bar, and after workout a whey shake for protein to help my muscles. and my friend is good i just dont think he knows how to help other people. But i will stick with this routine because i like it, i just have to accustom my diet more, but Ill try and switch to the eggs and stuff after I run out of the protein bars and whey shakes and muscle milk. Which will be in about 2-3 weeks. So then I can really tell the difference between having them and not having them.

Also you guys can check out my page to see my threads for my meal, and what supplements i use. Which could be of some help

RyanAkaMonsta has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don't put olive oils into eggs, just drop all oil, don't make anything with oil if you want to lose weight! get a non stick cooking spary some ketchup and some lemon and pepper spices or grill spices and start buying some lean chicken cutlet and beef cutlets and buy some low fat mayo or honey dijon for your tuna!
    btw im sure your protein bars and muscle milk shakes can last for a year so put them away for when your way too busy to make food, fyi you can also boil an egg instead of frying it and eat only the egg whites cuz the york got the fatties in it.
    i got a cousin whos about your size and i started him on my diet and workout last month and so far he dropped about 15lbs and you should start learning how to read the nutrient labels and understand the serving b4 you buy them because protein bars and muscle milk have a lot of fat in them.
    also even if your friend is build, it doesn't mean they know what their doing, i've seen and met a lot of people that are buff as sht and do their workout wrong and **** but they still gain muscles so i guess is genetics and w/e your body is used to so start buying some bodybuilding magz like muscle & fitness or just look throught bodybuilding.com at the excerise section.
    Don't Be a FAilure! be a Winner!

WhiteAfricanSpaceChrist peteskeys's Avatar
    peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RyanAkaMonsta View Post
    Don't put olive oils into eggs, just drop all oil, don't make anything with oil if you want to lose weight! get a non stick cooking spary some ketchup and some lemon and pepper spices or grill spices and start buying some lean chicken cutlet and beef cutlets and buy some low fat mayo or honey dijon for your tuna!
    btw im sure your protein bars and muscle milk shakes can last for a year so put them away for when your way too busy to make food, fyi you can also boil an egg instead of frying it and eat only the egg whites cuz the york got the fatties in it.
    i got a cousin whos about your size and i started him on my diet and workout last month and so far he dropped about 15lbs and you should start learning how to read the nutrient labels and understand the serving b4 you buy them because protein bars and muscle milk have a lot of fat in them.
    also even if your friend is build, it doesn't mean they know what their doing, i've seen and met a lot of people that are buff as sht and do their workout wrong and **** but they still gain muscles so i guess is genetics and w/e your body is used to so start buying some bodybuilding magz like muscle & fitness or just look throught bodybuilding.com at the excerise section.
    Don't Be a FAilure! be a Winner!

He's going to be a lot safer with olive oil than with ketchup bud. You ever read the labels on bottles of ketchup? It's all sugar

Considering that you're weighing in a whopping 145 I'm going to go ahead and say you can keep your diet--I'm staying the hell away. Not to mention pushing people to read Muscle and Fiction is disgraceful in its own right...
    Student.

Currently in the midst of a mac and cheese + hamburger helper bulk. Come at me, bodyfat.

When I am a lean 220+ then maybe I'll have an avatar, until then: foreverfaceless.jpg

I rep back.

Well anyways. For now I'm going to stick with my diet. I never use condiments. I just have tuna and whole gran bread with a lil bit of peanut butter for fat. Truly ya if I didn't have the 3 supplements id drop like what? 15g of sugar? that doesn't sound that bad to me. Calories wise maybe I can drop around 800 calories then resupplying that with other food I'd basically be losing like 400, but I wouldnt get as much protein or other vitamins and stuff that could help. right now these are the stats of my workout day meals which may turn into the non workout days depending on how i feel

Calories=2220
    Total Fat=71.5G
    Saturated Fat=19.5G
    Total Carbs=209G
    Sugars=58G
    Protein=172G

that doesn't seem so bad and people say it's really good. Of course I could get muscle milk light it would have a lot less fat and sat fat and calories, but overall it all seems good and gets me what I need. If I can possibly drop down to 2k calories I think that would be nice.

Ya with muscle milk light I have 170 calories less. 11g of fat less and 5.5g of sat fat less, but i just noticed I lose half the protein.
    Last edited by PoiZnVirus; 08-04-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Ovary Puncher!!!!!!!! O.o WillGoesBoing's Avatar
    WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wish someone would have warned you about the soreness after your first workout. Yes it is normal and yes it should be so painful you'd actually think about going to see a doctor. But let me assure you that it will go away after a couple of days. The next time you hit the gym you're just going to have to take it really easy until your body gets use to it.

I've done sports all my life, lifted weights since I was in highschool, and last year I stopped working out for about 8 months with some occasional half-ass weight lifting at home. So I hit the gym thinking I should be ok and do a full blown routine. The next day I was so sore I can't even put on a jacket.

And if you've never worked out until now.... I highly doubt your forms are going to be anywhere near being "ok". Honestly if I were you, I wouldn't just read up on some workout routines online and try it because most of those aren't for people who are just starting out. You might want to pay for a couple of sessions for trainers to learn proper technique.

Well that'd be nice depending on cost, but i have no job or income and well, I'm trying to go more cheap, and I signed up here to help motivate, track, and get info to help me.

Ovary Puncher!!!!!!!! O.o WillGoesBoing's Avatar
    WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50) WillGoesBoing will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do you have friends who workout? Go with someone that knows what they're doing. Believe it or not youtube videos have helped me a lot with certain workouts. But with things like the bench press, squats, deadlifts you might THINK you're doing them correctly, but most often times you're doing something wrong.

I just hate it when I go to the gym and see people winging it. If you're not doing it right, you're just wasting time. You'll end up not seeing results and give up, which is what most people do.

If you're really determined to not be one of those people.... try the best you can to do your workouts the right way. You can start off by using machines before you do big compound lifts.