Thread: A new start

TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A new start

So, for anyone who visits the supplements section of the forums, you may have recently seen a posting there by me. This is the other half of it.

The skinny (pun not intended): It's been over 2 years since I've been active here, and in life. I've spent the majority of it getting ready for life, but in doing so I've neglected mine in a few ways. Shortly I'll be moving for my new job, which will put me in Seattle, WA, and if all goes well, I'll be near work (1mile) and everything you could possibly need in between. With this, I hope to eliminate my need for my car, and walk everywhere. However, though my knowledge of nutrition has faded over the years, I still remember the important parts, though specifics such as macro timing (to keep nitrogen levels stable, glucose levels stable, etc) may be skewed in details.

My goals are simple: Cutting. Reducing my weight to within a reasonable level. This is no small task and I know it will take a great deal of time, and I'm ready to get started.

The nature of my body is this, every time I've ever cut, I've lost BF while increasing LBM. Now, this very well could be likely to nutrition, macro timing, supplements, genetics, what have you. If possible (and I believe it will be), I will keep this trend going. My main concern is to get healthy, not buff. So, here is where it starts.

I have not entirely decided how I will go about my nutritional scheme while cutting, I have never been a fan of keto diets, and am wary of realistically maintaining that. I feel with a good balance of fats/carbs/proteins and exercise, I will achieve my goals without the need to go keto. With that said, I would probably go with something on the order of:

2200 - 2400 kilo calories daily with a macro breakdown (fat/carb/protein) of 30/40/30 which works out to about:
    80g fat, 240g carb, 180g protein.

My intention is deliver this every 3 hours or so to maintain steady glucose levels and nitrogen levels (by providing steady source of protein).

With this in mind, the challenge is this: food.

Knowing how many calories to consume, when to consume, etc is all very useful. But sticking to that regime is hard when you're ignorant of food choices that are acceptable to you. Now I have no food allergies, just unforgiving taste buds.

Off the top of my head, if I were to list items to keep around as part of a healthy diet I'd list the following:

Fruit:
    -Apples
    -Grapes (perhaps not the best fruit to include)

Veggies:
    -Broccoli
    -Lettuce (romaine)

Dairy:
    -Cottage cheese (something I have a hard time stomaching)
    -Yogurt (non-fat, no sugar added)
    -Non fat/1% milk

Meats:
    -Chicken breast
    -Fish of some kind (salmon preferably)
    -Ground turkey (in place of ground beef) or lean ground beef (7%)

Grains:
    -Oatmeal (not a huge fan, but tolerable)

Nuts:
    -Almonds perhaps? I can't recall which nuts are particularly good nutrition wise.

And thats where my mind draws a blank. Of course, protein supplements will be present, wheat bread and peanut butter; but aside from that, I'm lost for ideas. Unfortunately a grocery list doesn't help much, I really need actual food ideas and would appreciate if anyone could provide some suggestions!

I would appreciate any feedback in regards to any portion of this posting, be it nutrient breakdown, food selection, anything!

I know this has been a long post, and I do appreciate anyone who has spent the time to read and/or reply to it.
    Last edited by TanTheMan; 05-07-2009 at 12:21 AM.

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    How much do you weigh? i ask because i'd suggest that you include more protein and depending on your weight maybe a little less carbs. Try and shoot for about 1g of carbs per pound of body weight and about 1.5g of protein per pound of body weight.
    Are you going to be lifting weights or doing cardio?
    If so how many times a week?
    Or are you just going to be trying to walk everywhere and using this solely as excercise?
    Are you basically looking for a meal plan?