nette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

newb - working out at home

I'm 5'5 and about 145lbs, trying to get down to about 130 (but that really doesn't matter, just want to look good and be toned). I have 2 little boys and can't really get out of the house to go to the gym, so I usually have to just do videos or go running at 10pm (when DH gets home from work), which isn't ideal (the 10pm run that is). I'm just looking for some help to get some good cardio/toning, that I can do at home, or some good workout videos. I do The Firm quite often, as well as Tae Bo, and have a TamiLee arms/butt/abs with weights, for toning. How often do I need to be doing cardio and/or toning each week?
    Sorry for all the questions in one...like I said...I'm a newbie!
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by nette; 07-28-2004 at 04:37 PM.

moody_weasel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Nette, welcome to the boards.

If you're looking for some good workouts which will definitely improve your cardio check out this site:

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

I suggest you start with workout 1. Do it 2-3 times a week.

As for the forbidden word 'toning' - this simply means to lose bodyfat so your muscles look defined.
    To lose bodyfat you have to burn more calories than you consume.

Below are forum member BuffedWildCat's nutrition guidelines. Search the forum for more info from her. She usually posts very good information.

"This is what it takes to get the physique she desires...

Other than the guidelines I'm posting, it just takes CONSISTENCY & PATIENCE.

90% OF IT IS DIET, DIET, DIET

NUTRITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR REDUCING BODY FAT:

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, balanced meals of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Exception: you don't necessarily have to eat carbohydrates with your last meal or two of the day, you CAN just eat protein and fat. Unless it's post workout (post strength training), then you NEED to eat some carbs.

2. Try to keep the protein intake in each of your meals consistent. If you are resistance/strength training, eat a minimum of your bodyweight in grams of protein, divided up equally into each of your meals.

3. Don't be afraid of fat, you NEED fat in order to BURN fat. You need to turn your body into a fat burning machine. In order to do this, you keep your carbs fairly low (30-40 grams per meal is a good rule of thumb) and your fat intake moderate. As in, the lower your carbs, the more fat you should be consuming.

4. Avoid sugars and over-processed foods like the plague. Read your labels, avoid food with sugar listed in the ingredients.

5. Avoid processed foods, like those in boxes/packages and also anything made with white flour. White flour is over-processed. Also anything that says, "enriched" avoid it as well, it basically means over-processed.

6. Eat as close to nature as you can. In other words, the closer the food to how it occurs in nature, the better for you it is, and ESPECIALLY for fat burning.

7. Avoid starchy carbs like corn, bread (esp white bread), pasta.

8. For your last meal or two of the day, consume only green veggies for your carbohydrates. Generally for your last meal you should consume less carbohydrates and more fat.

9. Last but not least, do NOT cut your calories too low. For starters I wouldn't even drop ANY calories. I would eat maintenance calories (eat normally) and just focus on cleaning up your diet (get rid of drinking sodas, etc) and getting consistent with a good macronutrient ratio (protein, carbs, fat). Some examples of good cutting ratios (percentage of total calories) are: 40P/30C/30F, 40P/25C/35F, 40P/20C/40F, or 35P/35C/30F etc.

10. A good website (free) to help you keep track of your calories, protein, carbs, and fat is: www.fitday.com

Here are some good choices for foods to eat, conducive to burning fat and/or staying lean. If the food you are eating is not on this list, I would question it.

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Tuna (water packed)
    Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
    Shrimp
    Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Ostrich
    Protein Powder
    Egg Whites or Whole Eggs
    Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
    Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
    Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
    Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
    Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
    Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)
    Soy Burgers
    Low-fat cottage cheese

SLOW BURNING/COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
    Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
    Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
    Oat Bran Cereal
    Rye Cereal
    Grape Nuts
    Brown Rice
    Farina (Cream of Wheat)
    Multigrain Hot Cereal
    Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
    100% Stoneground Whole Wheat Bread

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    String Beans
    Okra
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Eggplant
    Green or Red Pepper
    Onions
    Pumpkin
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Zucchini

FRUIT

Apples
    Grapefruit
    Peaches
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Lemons or Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Peanut Butter
    Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
    Nuts (peanuts, almonds)
    Flaxseed Oil

BEVARAGES

Crystal Light
    Green Tea
    Other Tea (without sugar)
    Coffee (without sugar)

CONDIMENTS

Mayonnaise
    Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Salsa
    Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
    Chili powder
    Mrs. Dash
    Steak Sauce
    Sugar Free Maple Syrup
    Chili Paste
    Mustard
    Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
    Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
    Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
    Stevia (natural sweetener)

Written by:

BuffedWildCat
    Body Solutions Personal Trainer

AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: newb - working out at home

Originally posted by nette
    I'm 5'5 and about 145lbs, trying to get down to about 130 (but that really doesn't matter, just want to look good and be toned). I have 2 little boys and can't really get out of the house to go to the gym, so I usually have to just do videos or go running at 10pm (when DH gets home from work), which isn't ideal (the 10pm run that is). I'm just looking for some help to get some good cardio/toning, that I can do at home, or some good workout videos. I do The Firm quite often, as well as Tae Bo, and have a TamiLee arms/butt/abs with weights, for toning. How often do I need to be doing cardio and/or toning each week?
    Sorry for all the questions in one...like I said...I'm a newbie!
    Thanks in advance
    forget those fitness videos... all they care about is your money

to lose weight, burn more calories than you consume and for cardio do any type of activity that increases your heartrate

nette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think I pretty much follow all those guidelines on eating, my husband is an avid bodybuilder (posts on here, that's how I found this), so we have a pretty strict eating "diet", stay away from all processed stuff, no sugar, good protein, etc etc.
    I guess my main question was just what cardio/how much etc. I will definitely check out that site, thanks moody_weasel.

AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000) AnAbOlIcAsSaUlT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by nette
    I think I pretty much follow all those guidelines on eating, my husband is an avid bodybuilder (posts on here, that's how I found this), so we have a pretty strict eating "diet", stay away from all processed stuff, no sugar, good protein, etc etc.
    I guess my main question was just what cardio/how much etc. I will definitely check out that site, thanks moody_weasel.
    running, swimming, biking, etc... 3 - 4 times a week, target heartrate around 140 - 170