Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000)

Open Trap Bar: Yea Or Nay?

I've been debating acquiring a REP Open Trap Bar. Keep going back and forth on the idea.

Current Weight Equipment:
    • Functional trainer (w/various attachments)
    • Short squat stand w/safety spotter arms
    • Bench (IM SB Pro w/attachments)
    • Olympic and EZ-Curl bars
    • Plates (270 lbs.)
    • IM/Hoist adj. DBs (45 lbs.)
    • Back hyper bench
    And various and sundry other gym paraphernalia.

Stopped doing BB DLs a couple months back when, upon hitting about my body weight in lifts, I could no longer keep my back acceptably straight. Substituted Pendlay Rows and added BB hip thrusts and weighted back hyperextensions to focus on back development. (Was already doing RDLs.)

I have since read some coaches no longer train BB DLs, instead training trap bar DLs--one of the reasons being the same reason I stopped doing BB DLs. I've also have read doing trap bar DLs can help develop the ability to do BB DLs.

Conversely, Rippetoe and other strength coaches feel trap bar DLs ineffective for what BB DLs train.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I honestly don't know the carryover from trap bar DL to BB DL. I wouldn't get a trap bar to help you train for BB. I would just resume doing BB DL.

On the other hand, I enjoy trap bar DL and feel they effectively target my back, so I'm going to keep training them indefinitely. I have no interest in going back to BB DL. I'm purely a recreational lifter and don't see the need especially since I also do RDLs.

It comes down to choosing the tool that helps you accomplish your goals. If you want to BB DL, I'd get back to that. If you want to try a different type of DL, I think trap bar is a good one.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's a piece of equipment, buy it if you want to do exercises that use it. That's a different question of whether you should choose trap bar DLs over bb DLs, and the better answer in many cases is to train both.

That being said, you need to work on bracing if you can't do >bw DLs without your back crumbling (it doesn't necessarily need to be straight). You'll likely experience the same issue with trap bar DLs albeit at a slightly higher weight.

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    On the other hand, I enjoy trap bar DL and feel they effectively target my back, so I'm going to keep training them indefinitely. I have no interest in going back to BB DL. I'm purely a recreational lifter and don't see the need especially since I also do RDLs.
    Same here, lifting is a secondary fitness activity for me. I use a PhenoX Maverick Bar that I got due to ongoing injury issues. I like it, but I no longer have any specific strength or aesthetic goals. Mostly trying to maintain.

Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have no interest in going back to BB DL. I'm purely a recreational lifter and don't see the need especially since I also do RDLs.
    I suppose I don't need to do BB DLs. More that I'd like to.

If you want to try a different type of DL, I think trap bar is a good one.
    Cool.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    ... the better answer in many cases is to train both.
    I have read that, too.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    That being said, you need to work on bracing if you can't do >bw DLs without your back crumbling (it doesn't necessarily need to be straight).
    Working on bracing/strengthening is what I'm currently doing. My back wasn't crumbling, but I wasn't able to keep it satisfactorily (IMO) straight-ish.

Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    I use a PhenoX Maverick Bar ...
    Interesting bar. Ain't gonna win any beauty contests , but it sure looks handy.

$75 more than the REP open trap bar, but it looks like you can do more with it--except two-handed lunges?

Thanks for the feedback, y'all

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Michiganian View Post
    Interesting bar. Ain't gonna win any beauty contests , but it sure looks handy.

$75 more than the REP open trap bar, but it looks like you can do more with it--except two-handed lunges?
    Yeah it's essentially hand built so it's rough around the edges. But it does a lot for the price. I bought V1 after watching Gluck's review on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YA8F-Tk-Eg

I got the SSB attachment too. It works, but is not ideal.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I recently picked one up and its great.

My deadlifts are always a tough one as I just cant get the right body position so its holding me back.

Dont have that issue with the trap bar and really enjoy using it.

My objective is to lift weights, not be some expert at deadlifts. By gauging muscle soreness post workouts, I cant really feel a lot of difference between the muscles worked with the trap bar or traditional deads.

It is different from traditional deads but at my age I worry about doing something stupid and getting an injury that takes forever to recover from.

With the trab bar I can slightly adjust my angles during the lift which i could not do as well with the straight bar.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Yeah it's essentially hand built so it's rough around the edges. But it does a lot for the price. I bought V1 after watching Gluck's review on it:
    Watched the review. It's certainly an interesting bar, but I'm going to stick with the REP Open Trap Bar.

I got the SSB attachment too. It works, but is not ideal.
    I suspected that might be the case. Like the reviewer said: Jack of many trades, master of none.

One thing I assumed, and the reviewer confirmed, was the play in the handles. I understand why that's unavoidable, but it would annoy me. I'm just a little >< bit OCD

I've reached a decision: I expect to order a REP Open Trap Bar today. I've watched dozens of videos and read dozens of articles. With all that and the comments here I see all upsides and no downsides.

Thanks, everybody, for your comments! Very much appreciated

Originally Posted by Michiganian View Post
    One thing I assumed, and the reviewer confirmed, was the play in the handles. I understand why that's unavoidable, but it would annoy me. I'm just a little >< bit OCD
    That was my main concern as well, but it's not really an issue. I'm not doing crossfit with it. Once it's under load they don't move. It does a few things really well, some things competently, and others, well, it does them. Given the price and versatility, I don't really have any complaints. I think Gluck nailed the review. If the cons he mentioned bother you, it's probably not for you. It's a risk for sure compared to buying something from an established company.

I think you'll be happy with the Rep bar, it's a quality piece.

FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) FoulSmell has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Bought an open one about a year ago, used it maybe 4 times. I don’t care for it. I feel it more in my quads when I use it vs a BB. I prefer the BB.

Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Roasted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FoulSmell View Post
    Bought an open one about a year ago, used it maybe 4 times. I don’t care for it. I feel it more in my quads when I use it vs a BB. I prefer the BB.
    That’s the thing. If you “deadlift” very upright with it, which is sort of the point, then it’s no longer a hinge movement and it’s closer to a squat than a deadlift. It’s a completely different exercise IMHO and inferior to deadlift for back development. I’m not saying it’s useless but it’s not the same thing at all.
    Aesthetic Glutes Crew
    Eleshirt Crew

Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    That’s the thing. If you “deadlift” very upright with it, which is sort of the point, then it’s no longer a hinge movement and it’s closer to a squat than a deadlift. It’s a completely different exercise IMHO and inferior to deadlift for back development.
    That was a consideration when I was researching TBDLs. It turns out to be not necessarily true.

One of the things I watched was The Trap Bar Deadlift, which contains this graphic

from this study: Trap Bar Deadlifts are Underrated

I'm certainly in no position to say, personally, but I can say this: A couple days ago was my second workout using my new trap bar. I felt it more in my quads, hams, glutes, and back than I have any BB DL in the past. Can't say why. Perhaps because, rather than being hung up on maintaining what was, for me, a very difficult form to maintain with a BB DL, I was able to add weight while maintaining good form with the TBDL?

Btw: The REP Open Trap Bar is a very nice bar. Couldn't possibly be more pleased.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    That’s the thing. If you “deadlift” very upright with it, which is sort of the point, then it’s no longer a hinge movement and it’s closer to a squat than a deadlift. It’s a completely different exercise IMHO and inferior to deadlift for back development. I’m not saying it’s useless but it’s not the same thing at all.
    Echoing Michiganian's research and experience, I think this depends on your individual leverages, form, and whether you use high or low handles. I took an unplanned break and felt good when I got back, so I overdid it and went for gains when I probably should have eased back in. The next day, I felt significant DOMS throughout most of my back muscles and none in my legs. Maybe my legs are a lot stronger than my back, but this was enough confirmation for me that I can treat it as a back movement. I also film myself regularly and am satisfied with my form.

Update and Report on the REP Open Trap Bar

Unpacking, Assembly, and First Look

This is now the fifth major piece of gym equipment I've acquired. Other than my IM Super Bench Pro v2 and attachments, nothing came as well-boxed and well-protected as this bar. Every piece was individually bubble-wrapped. Everything in the box was well-protected from everything else. The sleeves were individually bubble-wrapped, zip-tied together, and boxed separately. Every piece survived shipping without a nick, scratch, scuff, or other blemish.

Assembly was straight-forward as it was simply attaching the sleeves to the main part of the bar, but I did run into one problem: A 17mm wrench is required, but not provided. My mm combo wrench set went from 15mm to 18mm, and there wasn't enough clearance for an adjustable wrench or a socket and handle to fit. Luckily, the nearby Ace Hardware stocks Craftsman hand tools and they had a 17mm combo wrench in stock.

Again: Other than my IM bench: This is about the nicest bit of gear in my gym. Fit, finish, and overall impression of material quality and fabrication are all quite nice. Some of the welding isn't flawless, but I saw nothing too terribly ugly or that raised concerns (no globs or gaps).

Using the bar.

It's everything I've hoped to realize with an open trap bar, and more. When I stopped doing BB DLs I was struggling to maintain good form at 190 lbs. I was easily able to go right to 185 lbs. on my first session with this bar, and increment 10 lbs. on each subsequent session with no problem. I'm feeling better activation in hams, glutes, quads, and back than I ever did doing BB DLs.

The handles have just the right knurling aggressiveness, IMO. Aggressive enough to provide for a really secure grip, but not so aggressive they'll chew your hands up. (N.B.: I do wear gloves.)

Beyond that: Between the built-in jacks and not having to don shin protectors: Setup and tear-down are a lot quicker and easier than they were for doing BB DLs.

And there are bonuses. Day before yesterday, taking an extra recovery day while something I tweaked in my right leg recovered, I decided to try a couple things with the bar that are in one of REP's videos and are covered in GGR's review: Chest-supported rows, using my bench, and squats. I'll definitely be using this bar for squats, going forward. It functions somewhat like a SSB. I'm able to get a deeper squat, with more weight, more comfortably, than I was with a BB. It works so well in this role I'm not sure I'll bother with an SSB.

Bottom line: If you're thinking about a trap bar, IMO you could hardly go wrong with this one.
    Last edited by Michiganian; 02-13-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Congrats on the new bar. Glad to hear it's exceeding expectations and your first impressions are positive.