larrymusic2004 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Accuracy of BIA scales/possibility of losing size whilst gaining strength

Accuracy of BIA scales/possibility of losing size whilst gaining strength

Hi guys! I've been losing weight mostly slow since August. I'm down from about 140 to 124 kg (16kg total). Each week I've lost anywhere between 0kg to 1.6kg but the average loss since December is 0.8kg pw

I've been tracking BF% through BIA scales, and all looked great. It looked like I gained some mass up to November time, then I reduced about 400 calories each day as my bf loss per week had fallen below an average of 0.5kg a week. Since then on the BMI scales lean mass has dropped a few kilos.

However strangely I've continued to gain strength. My squat has increased about 20 to 40kg, bench press 15kg increase from 60kg to 75kg. There is no evidence what so ever that I'm losing strength in the gym, quite the opposite! My diet can be a bit heavy/fast, but once a week I'll have a big dominoes cheat day after a workout, they're normally about 4000 calories per takeaway and it balances it out and creates the averages. On a non-cheat day I'll eat between 1500 and 2000 calories.

Note lifts are full body workout based and include squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, pull ups and other isolations mostly 3x8 progressive overload 2 or 3 times a week.

Is the BMI analysis that unreliable, or is it possible to lose 2kg of muscle whilst gaining strength?

I tried to attach graphs, but it’s not letting me. Since November I’ve I've slowly lost about 2 or 3kg of lean mass. Although weight is accurate, calculation of BF% and lean mass are all BIA data.

Thanks guys

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Precise bf% from BIA scales aren't accurate (which is not BMI analysis btw), so I wouldn't put much faith in the amount of muscle mass it says you lost.

That being said, your lifts are low in general and especially compared to your bodyweight (indicating you only recently starting training), so it's not surprising that you'd continue to gain strength regardless of what your body composition is doing - some that strength gain at this point would simply be increased proficiency at the lifts themselves.

larrymusic2004 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Precise bf% from BIA scales aren't accurate (which is not BMI analysis btw), so I wouldn't put much faith in the amount of muscle mass it says you lost.

That being said, your lifts are low in general and especially compared to your bodyweight (indicating you only recently starting training), so it's not surprising that you'd continue to gain strength regardless of what your body composition is doing - some that strength gain at this point would simply be increased proficiency at the lifts themselves.
    Hi Air2flake, yes you’re right I just started lifting with this cut. I used to be more into it over 5 years ago but it never got serious, I let it go due to personal problems and I’ve just been trying to cut ever since. For now I’m just overweight.

Ok I’ll carry in what I’m doing for now, if I lose strength I’ll increase calorie intake. I plan to pause the cut and bulk for a few months when I get to 100kg or 110kg just for sanity sake as this cut’ll take a year or 2.

Thanks for the response <3

FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FrancisSoyer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Post There’s no need for a bouncer attitude.

You need to put the ditsy broads as bartenders.

They’re not built for running ice, carrying and stocking cases.

Watch over the broads.

Distribute the tips accordingly. You’re supervising from a lower position.

I’m going to school at the union. If I’m the doorman or the
    building superintendent I’m still supervising the . . . . Phone operator.

I didn’t hire him. I need to see his paperwork.
    No don’t put that down. What do you want my job?
    Forget about your job.
    I don’t want to be here. Can you make a decision for me?

Oh me abuelita!