hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Advice on benches

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my home gym set up. It's very basic, made up of very budget friendly (i.e., cheap) pieces that get the job done. $100 Amazon rack, CAP barbell, some used plates, a cheap pulley system, you get the drift.
    I also had bought a used IronMan FID bench with a preacher curl pad. It was cheap, had the FID aspect which was nice, and got the job done. However, it sits at 21" high which makes leg drive in the bench press more of a hip flexor stretch, there's probably a 4" gap between the seat and back, and all of the bolts are loose so it wobbles like crazy (I've tightened them all, there's just too much play in pieces). So, I recently made a comment to my wife about wanting to get a new bench. She took that comment and ran with it, buying me a new bench for Christmas.

Not being all that wealthy, and my wife not knowing much about gym equipment, she found a bench for about $100 that seemingly had lots of bells and whistles. Specifically, its the Pasyou bench off Amazon. It's an FID bench, which is nice, but it's not much shorter (measures in at 20" off the ground), and I'm not sure how much more sturdy it will be without assembling it (which means I likely can't return it).

It got me thinking, what do I really want? I could get a decent flat bench and keep my current, rickety FID bench for the rare times I need incline or decline. I could go with the Pasyou and just be happy with the incremental improvements, or I could look at a different FID bench (but, still need to keep it around $100-$150, which doesn't leave me a lot of options and probably won't be much of an improvement).

Wanted to get some other opinions to help me make up my mind.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Unless you're willing to spend more, get a flat bench. You aren't going to substantially upgrade FID on your budget.

And if your FID bench is truly "rickety" then it doesn't sound safe. I'd spend $300 on a sturdy adjustable bench without decline instead of adding a $150 flat bench and taking my chances on continuing with the junk FID bench.

Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Unless you're willing to spend more, get a flat bench. You aren't going to substantially upgrade FID on your budget.
    Yup.

And if your FID bench is truly "rickety" then it doesn't sound safe. I'd spend $300 on a sturdy adjustable bench without decline instead of adding a $150 flat bench and taking my chances on continuing with the junk FID bench.
    This, too.

Thing is: You can spend less than $300 and get a quality FID bench. My XMark 7604 FID bench was $278 on sale (still is) and is as solid as the commercial benches my gym had. If you don't want/need the adjustable t-bar leg hold-down for decline work, they have even more economical choices.

I just measured it, and it measures 20 in. off the ground, flat. Doesn't feel any higher than I recall the feel from the benches at my old gym, so I suspect that's pretty typical. It also does have a rather substantial gap between seat and back--which is typical of these type benches. I only find that a problem when using it for decline ab crunches. I stick a small pillow in there for that. Problem solved.

I had an inexpensive bench I bought for $35 from a neighbor who was moving. I hated it. While it felt relatively stable, it didn't fit me well and was uncomfortable to use. My gut was telling me it was an injury waiting to happen. I've learned to trust my instincts.

Your bench a core piece of your gym. Not something you ought get "economical" with, IMO.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want an adjustable bench with lower height, my pick would probably be the Rep AB-3100. I too prefer benches closer to the IPF spec of 16.9" and Rep is going to be of better quality than no-name Amazon options. You'll also appreciate the tri-pod design when bench pressing.

https://repfitness.com/products/ab-3...e-weight-bench

I haven't used it, but I have other Rep Fitness equipment that I've found to be generally well-built and a good value.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hanzosbm View Post
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with my home gym set up. It's very basic, made up of very budget friendly (i.e., cheap) pieces that get the job done. $100 Amazon rack, CAP barbell, some used plates, a cheap pulley system, you get the drift.
    I also had bought a used IronMan FID bench with a preacher curl pad. It was cheap, had the FID aspect which was nice, and got the job done. However, it sits at 21" high which makes leg drive in the bench press more of a hip flexor stretch, there's probably a 4" gap between the seat and back, and all of the bolts are loose so it wobbles like crazy (I've tightened them all, there's just too much play in pieces). So, I recently made a comment to my wife about wanting to get a new bench. She took that comment and ran with it, buying me a new bench for Christmas.

Not being all that wealthy, and my wife not knowing much about gym equipment, she found a bench for about $100 that seemingly had lots of bells and whistles. Specifically, its the Pasyou bench off Amazon. It's an FID bench, which is nice, but it's not much shorter (measures in at 20" off the ground), and I'm not sure how much more sturdy it will be without assembling it (which means I likely can't return it).

It got me thinking, what do I really want? I could get a decent flat bench and keep my current, rickety FID bench for the rare times I need incline or decline. I could go with the Pasyou and just be happy with the incremental improvements, or I could look at a different FID bench (but, still need to keep it around $100-$150, which doesn't leave me a lot of options and probably won't be much of an improvement).

Wanted to get some other opinions to help me make up my mind.
    You can buy used high end commercial gym benches off of Craigslist for <$200. For example, my previous bench was a Nautilus FW090 for which I paid $150.

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    You can buy used high end commercial gym benches off of Craigslist for <$200. For example, my previous bench was a Nautilus FW090 for which I paid $150.
    This is a great point. It's more of a buyer's market now and used is a good option. I'm about to sell some stuff just to make room and I'll be pricing it to move.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want an adjustable bench with lower height, my pick would probably be the Rep AB-3100. I too prefer benches closer to the IPF spec of 16.9" and Rep is going to be of better quality than no-name Amazon options. You'll also appreciate the tri-pod design when bench pressing.

https://repfitness.com/products/ab-3...e-weight-bench

I haven't used it, but I have other Rep Fitness equipment that I've found to be generally well-built and a good value.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to radrd again.

That's a good price on that bench, I didn't realize that Rep was economical. I like the ladder style, single post, and adjustable seat angle. I could see me getting that one and only using my IM Superbench Pro for flat and decline work.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheDude8734 View Post
    I agree, though location is a key factor with how the market can be for used equipment.

The market in my area is lacking to say the least, but I've always been willing/crazy enough to drive hours on end each way to pick up equipment. My Icarian Super Bench involved a 8 hour roundtrip, but totally worth it.
    I've seen listings for Hammer Strength FWADJ, Bodymasters 0-90, Cybex 5435, etc in this area (Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia) <$300.

During the pandemic equipment shortage, I did a 8 hour round trip for Ironmaster dumbbells so I know the crazy.

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Buyers market for sure. Find something used that is better quality and safer. What do you plan to do that is incline?
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're willing to take it apart & stuff it back into the box, you can return it to Amz.

hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50) hanzosbm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by EricAtl View Post
    Buyers market for sure. Find something used that is better quality and safer. What do you plan to do that is incline?
    So, that's one of my sticking points. Right now, I don't do anything that requires incline (or decline). The one exception is shoulder presses, but, I don't really NEED it for this; I can just sit upright. At some point, I might want to work incline bench or incline curls into my routine, but I also feel like paying a few hundred dollars extra 'just in case I want it later' isn't a very smart move. Playing devil's advocate, I also don't want to buy a flat bench and then a few months later have to upgrade again because it turns out I DO want to include those exercises.
    At this point, I'm leaning towards getting a decent flat bench (looking at you, Titan) and keeping my beat up FID. Yes, it's wobbly, but I don't feel like it's going to give out on me, just that I have to do a little more work to steady everything. Later on, if I find that I REALLY want a quality FID bench, I could sell them both and the difference in cost might not be as painful.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Michiganian View Post
    Yup.

This, too.

Thing is: You can spend less than $300 and get a quality FID bench. My XMark 7604 FID bench was $278 on sale (still is) and is as solid as the commercial benches my gym had. If you don't want/need the adjustable t-bar leg hold-down for decline work, they have even more economical choices.

I just measured it, and it measures 20 in. off the ground, flat. Doesn't feel any higher than I recall the feel from the benches at my old gym, so I suspect that's pretty typical. It also does have a rather substantial gap between seat and back--which is typical of these type benches. I only find that a problem when using it for decline ab crunches. I stick a small pillow in there for that. Problem solved.
    I had the XMark 7630, it was the only thing in stock during the pandemic. It was very well built, but extremely poorly designed. Aside from being too tall (most competition bench heights are actually 17"-18"), the gap was huge, and sunk in, the foot pegs gave enough leverage, that if you put your feet on them while having dumbells on your knees, the whole bench would start to flip.

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So, that's one of my sticking points. Right now, I don't do anything that requires incline (or decline). The one exception is shoulder presses, but, I don't really NEED it for this; I can just sit upright. At some point, I might want to work incline bench or incline curls into my routine, but I also feel like paying a few hundred dollars extra 'just in case I want it later' isn't a very smart move. Playing devil's advocate, I also don't want to buy a flat bench and then a few months later have to upgrade again because it turns out I DO want to include those exercises.
    At this point, I'm leaning towards getting a decent flat bench (looking at you, Titan) and keeping my beat up FID. Yes, it's wobbly, but I don't feel like it's going to give out on me, just that I have to do a little more work to steady everything. Later on, if I find that I REALLY want a quality FID bench, I could sell them both and the difference in cost might not be as painful.
    Where are you located?
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

Where are you located?
    Cincinnati

Cincinnati
    Go buy this bench.
    https://www.********.com/marketplace...code=undefined

There is also an incline bench for 50, doesn’t go flat, in Bethel.

Go buy this bench.
    https://www.********.com/marketplace...code=undefined

There is also an incline bench for 50, doesn’t go flat, in Bethel.
    Cincinnati
    How about this Nebula adjustable bench for $300? At that price range, with the rough paint, visible rust and pad wear, OP would be correct to try for $250-275. A decent bench like that and one would be set for life. Wouldn't take much to get it looking sharp.
    https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sp...557891206.html

Same seller listed here for $333 so must be some room to negotiate further
    https://www.********.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

This decline/ab bench is nice as well for $100
    https://www.********.com/marketplace...tory_type=post
    Last edited by ampire; 12-29-2022 at 07:58 PM.

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    How about this Nebula adjustable bench for $300? At that price range, with the rough paint, visible rust and pad wear, OP would be correct to try for $250-275. A decent bench like that and one would be set for life. Wouldn't take much to get it looking sharp.
    https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sp...557891206.html
    Yes a good option, listing is by the same person with the hammer flat bench.