Rocking45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

ruptured disc in neck...ugh!

Ok, I'm a newbie, and I need some advice, please. I have a ruptured disc in my neck, caused by increasing weight too quickly on farmer carries. I stopped lifting for a couple of years but I'm back now but I'm quickly realizing the using abarbell, even on the smith machine is extremely painful for squats. Using the barbell without the smith machine is NOT an option. I know dumbbell squats aren't as effective, but is it a decent alternative, given my constraints? or is there an alternative way to hold the barbell (maybe in front??) to get the same gains? Or just suck it up and deal with the dumbbells. And NO, I am not yet willing to have surgery on my neck.
    Thanks for any and all advice from a straight up newbie.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    front squat with freeweight or smith machine. Hack squats (bar behind legs) is good too but be strict about not changing your torso angle relative to the floor, it's not meant to be a reverse deadlift.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Db squats are fine if you're not lifting heavy yet. This isn't a popular opinion, but if you're feeling pain doing squat variants & tend to find ways to hurt yourself lifting, just do leg press, leg extension, leg curls & hip abduction/adduction machines.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Db squats are fine if you're not lifting heavy yet. This isn't a popular opinion, but if you're feeling pain doing squat variants & tend to find ways to hurt yourself lifting, just do leg press, leg extension, leg curls & hip abduction/adduction machines.
    Unpopular opinion? I think I'm one of the only people who regularly posts here and is on record in disagreement with the apostles of smith/hack/band/machines.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Unpopular opinion? I think I'm one of the only people who regularly posts here and is on record in disagreement with the apostles of smith/hack/band/machines.
    Yes, unpopular.
    Most people here consider you should do free weight exercises.
    Along machines, maybe, but nevetheless, free weight exercises reign.

When you say "apostle" you refer to something that is too dogmatic, I assume.
    In this case, wouldn't it be you, who believes that the barbell is the only one?

Who here is an "only machines and bands, bro" apostle?
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Yes, unpopular.
    Most people here consider you should do free weight exercises.
    Along machines, maybe, but nevetheless, free weight exercises reign.

When you say "apostle" you refer to something that is too dogmatic, I assume.
    In this case, wouldn't it be you, who believes that the barbell is the only one?

Who here is an "only machines and bands, bro" apostle?
    I don't believe that the barbell is the only one. Did you read my last lengthy reply to you?

And that last bit was surely a leading question, if not downright rhetorical...

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't believe that the barbell is the only one. Did you read my last lengthy reply to you?

And that last bit was surely a leading question, if not downright rhetorical...
    I don't know if I read it, I'll try to find it.

And the "the only one" was more of a joke. The way, the light, the one and only, the best of the best... jokes :P

My question stands: who here is a machines & bands apostle? :P

Even BG, who belongs more on the biomechanics new-formed Internet group, does a lot of free weight stuff.

If someone would recommend in a thread here only machines, he would be ripped apart.
    Same as if he recommended bro splits, but not that harsh, though.

We can ask SuffolkPunch how it was in 2010, with Defiant1 & co, things were completely different.
    What happened?

PS: I've read it now. Well, I thought "hat was supposed to be just a fun jab." )))
    Last edited by jaxqen; 08-09-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    I don't know if I read it, I'll try to find it.

And the "the only one" was more of a joke. The way, the light, the one and only, the best of the best... jokes :P

My question stands: who here is a machines & bands apostle? :P

Even BG, who belongs more on the biomechanics new-formed Internet group, does a lot of free weight stuff.

If someone would recommend in a thread here only machines, he would be ripped apart.
    Same as if he recommended bro splits, but not that harsh, though.

We can ask SuffolkPunch how it was in 2010, with Defiant1 & co, things were completely different.
    What happened?

PS: I've read it now. Well, I thought "hat was supposed to be just a fun jab." )))
    Yeah, I know man. I'm being lighthearted just now if that wasn't clear.

I don't know, I tend to see at least two comments on here about how any particular barbell lift is subpar for every one praising some IFBB-Pro titled exercise involving a machine or some other unique posturing or equipment. I'm not discounting their value in general or trying to dictate the preference of those who have other goals, but the sentiment seems to go hand-in-hand, and I would simply not agree that suggesting an alternative to a barbell back squat is an unpopular opinion here.

Yeah, I know man. I'm being lighthearted just now if that wasn't clear.

I don't know, I tend to see at least two comments on here about how any particular barbell lift is subpar for every one praising some IFBB-Pro titled exercise involving a machine or some other unique posturing or equipment. I'm not discounting their value in general or trying to dictate the preference of those who have other goals, but the sentiment seems to go hand-in-hand, and I would simply not agree that suggesting an alternative to a barbell back squat is an unpopular opinion here.
    Got it!

Yeah, I think I've seen a couple of those type of threads.

One can always do both: a barbell movement in the 5-8 rep range and then, after the fast twich fibers are done, a machine in the 10-20 rep range.

Many pro bb used and use bb and dbs as their primary movements.
    Fouad Abiad is one example that comes to mind.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    front squat with freeweight or smith machine. Hack squats (bar behind legs) is good too but be strict about not changing your torso angle relative to the floor, it's not meant to be a reverse deadlift.
    Very helpful! Thank you!!! Didn't even think about hack squat...duh....
    Last edited by Rocking45; 08-10-2022 at 06:42 AM.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Yeah, my ego tends to override my intelligence, and that's when I get hurt. I'll stick to the db squats. Thank you!!!

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rocking45 View Post
    Yeah, my ego tends to override my intelligence, and that's when I get hurt. I'll stick to the db squats. Thank you!!!
    Isn't this the same grip you hurt yourself doing though? I'd be concerned about reinjury.