Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000)

This low volume split has been the only volume that seems to work?

I have done this same split with 10 sets a week, 12 sets a week, 16 sets a week per muscle group for months at a time even while bulking. I haven’t been able to make any progress with any of those volumes until I dropped it down to 6 sets a week, and now I’m making even better progress with the current 4 sets a week below. All sets get taken to 0RIR/failure. The higher volumes just had me feeling as if I was overreaching where each week I was struggling to use the same weight as the previous week. I do 6-12 reps per set, 8ish max on the compounds. Workouts take about 40 mins. Anyone else had success with really low weekly volumes like this?

Upper A
    Bench 2
    Bb row 2
    Incline bench 1
    Cable curl 2/overhead extension 2 superset

Lower A
    Squat 2
    Seated leg curl 2
    Leg extension 1
    Standing calf 2
    Decline crunch 2

Upper B
    Seated press 2
    Weighted chin up 2
    Weighted dip 1
    Upright rows 2/Bb rear delt raise 2 superset

Lower B
    Hack squat 1
    Rdl 2
    Seated calf 2
    Hanging leg raise 2
    Last edited by Animal2692; 08-01-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If something's working for you personally, don't question it. Maybe over time add just 1 set at a time to one specific exercise to ramp up incrementally given your past issue.

You look like you've been finally making some gains.

Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000) Animal2692 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If something's working for you personally, don't question it. Maybe over time add just 1 set at a time to one specific exercise to ramp up incrementally given your past issue.

You look like you've been finally making some gains.

Thanks, yeah with this volume I’ve actually been able to enjoy lifting. The previous volumes had me dreading each workout and by the end of the week before my 2 rest days, the last workout was considerably more exhausting than the first workout of the week.
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    All sets get taken to 0RIR/failure. The higher volumes just had me feeling as if I was overreaching where each week I was struggling to use the same weight as the previous week. I do 6-12 reps per set, 8ish max on the compounds. Workouts take about 40 mins. Anyone else had success with really low weekly volumes like this?
    That sort of describes me. But I go up to 20 reps per set. But I'm a feeble little 55 year old guy.
    Funishe renal hoses in Cofeville Kasas. Washe/drye, full kitcen, cale/wif, all bils paid. Weders, fiters, boilermakes, electicians, inpectors the refiery, soybea plat, bio disel plant, pipline and anmal fod plant conractos.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As we know...
    Some people just aren't built right to do more than a couple of sets to failure.

This is compounded by nutrition, recovery and form breaking down near/at failure.

It is what it is.
    But you have tried enough to have a good idea of what you can make gains with given your penchant to always go to f.

---

I haven't gone to failure on any comp compound in years. Probably close to 4 years.

Ive only missed singles doing max effort type protocols on compound variations where the idea is to strain ****ing hard

Can't remember the last time i didn't hit @10/11 on isos or bs machines. Don't see the point, may aswell as they aren't hard on recovery and in general "its just curls, who cares"

---
    Just for fun, my current setup. Only really training twice a week atm lul

Max out a close bench variation
    Max out a self limited bench or inc variation
    Do a load of chest support inx db rows
    Do a load of low inc db bench
    Blow my arms off with curl & ext super sets

Do speed work vs bands

Max a dead variation
    Do high hip stiff legs orbssb good mornings
    Do a load of lat pulldowns
    Blow my legs off with curl & ext supersets
    Blow my shoulders up with side & rear super sets

Max a dead variation
    Do box squat speed work vs bands
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 08-01-2022 at 03:49 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    As we know...
    Some people just aren't built right to do more than a couple of sets to failure.

This is compounded by nutrition, recovery and form breaking down near/at failure.

It is what it is.
    But you have tried enough to have a good idea of what you can make gains with given your penchant to always go to f.

---

I haven't gone to failure on any comp compound in years. Probably close to 4 years.

Ive only missed singles doing max effort type protocols on compound variations where the idea is to strain ****ing hard

Can't remember the last time i didn't hit @10/11 on isos or bs machines. Don't see the point, may aswell as they aren't hard on recovery and in general "its just curls, who cares"

---
    Just for fun, my current setup. Only really training twice a week atm lul

Max out a self limited bench or inc variation

Do speed work vs bands

Max a dead variation
    Do high hip stiff legs orbssb good mornings

Max a dead variation
    Do box squat speed work vs bands

Would you say that minimum effective volume is a myth? It’s not like at for example 10 weekly sets a switch automatically turns on knowing you hit minimum effective volume and you suddenly build muscle whereas at 8 sets or anything below 10 you build none.

I’ve also came across the idea that if your mind muscle connection is really good, then it’s another reason for why one would need less sets. 2 all out sets of curls for example done in a controlled fashion with full rom, absolutely fries my biceps and I even get a crazy pump from it. All my reps are usually done in a robot-like fashion with no momentum or stretch reflex either.

On isolations I definitely push it until I fail mid rep. I think going that extra half failed rep still does something compared to 0 reps in reserve only. On compounds I’ll go to 0 RIR based off of how long the last rep takes me to complete. If it takes me about 8 seconds to complete, I can bet it’s 0RIR 99% of the time.

Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000) Ondle is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I’m with you op. I actually like this setup gonna steal it and try myself. I always do better with high intensity programs. I recover better which is why I think it works. Higher volume programs leave me feeling beat up.

superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) superman704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I work out daily, AMA
    John 3:16

Natty for life
    Red for life
    I'm not really 50, I'm 47, idk how to change the age
    Autism crew (Asperger's syndrome)
    High test crew
    Bald crew
    MAGA crew
    Guys stop making me green! I actually enjoy being red! It's more alpha!
    Born again Christian crew
    Heavy metal crew
    Sometimes the stuff I say is just ''trolling''

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    Would you say that minimum effective volume is a myth? It’s not like at for example 10 weekly sets a switch automatically turns on knowing you hit minimum effective volume and you suddenly build muscle whereas at 8 sets or anything below 10 you build none.

I’ve also came across the idea that if your mind muscle connection is really good, then it’s another reason for why one would need less sets. 2 all out sets of curls for example done in a controlled fashion with full rom, absolutely fries my biceps and I even get a crazy pump from it. All my reps are usually done in a robot-like fashion with no momentum or stretch reflex either.

On isolations I definitely push it until I fail mid rep. I think going that extra half failed rep still does something compared to 0 reps in reserve only. On compounds I’ll go to 0 RIR based off of how long the last rep takes me to complete. If it takes me about 8 seconds to complete, I can bet it’s 0RIR 99% of the time.
    Not really a myth...
    Just people dont seen to understand statistics very well or misinterpret What its actually saying.. Around 10 sets is an average of all the data, some people will be lower, some higher but its a perfect starting point for everyone really. Then you can adjust to but personal responce.

Nah. Mmc isnt really gonna do that.
    Just having tight form with a slow tempo is gonna battery you for no extra benefit other than lowering the weight and reps you can do. Tight form is great. Eccentrics upto 3count eyes great, Slow concentric are not.
    If its isos, who cares if you do that amd finish soon all the better with the boring fluff.

No. Benefit to actually missing the rep for building anything over knowing the next won't go up. Its just more recovery and higher chance of hurting a lot 😂 and muscle damage is not correlated to growth.
    But again.
    If its isos who cares, you just won't get as much work done and can finish the boring stuff sooner.

Bonus. Stretch reflex can be hugely beneficial to many movements for MORE growth. Think rdl, incline curls, lte's ect
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Not really a myth...
    Just people dont seen to understand statistics very well or misinterpret What its actually saying.. Around 10 sets is an average of all the data, some people will be lower, some higher but its a perfect starting point for everyone really. Then you can adjust to but personal responce.

Nah. Mmc isnt really gonna do that.
    Just having tight form with a slow tempo is gonna battery you for no extra benefit other than lowering the weight and reps you can do. Tight form is great. Eccentrics upto 3count eyes great, Slow concentric are not.
    If its isos, who cares if you do that amd finish soon all the better with the boring fluff.

No. Benefit to actually missing the rep for building anything over knowing the next won't go up. Its just more recovery and higher chance of hurting a lot and muscle damage is not correlated to growth.
    But again.
    If its isos who cares, you just won't get as much work done and can finish the boring stuff sooner.

Bonus. Stretch reflex can be hugely beneficial to many movements for MORE growth. Think rdl, incline curls, lte's ect
    I see, well I guess as air2fakie basically said, “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”. These days for me slow progress=the fastest progress. I used to be obsessed with science based fitness yet I’ve come to realize that all the studies combined don’t hold a candle to actual progress. With confirmation bias, you can also find just any study that fits confirms your belief. I find there’s also a big correlation between progressing and enjoyment. I can’t remember the last time I progressed whilst not enjoying what I’m doing outside of noob gains. An example of this is upright rows. I used to avoid them like the plague due to everyone saying they’re bad for your shoulders. However, nothing hits my side delts like upright rows do compared to lateral raises. I’ve tried doing lateral raises with strict form and light enough dumbbells…they just don’t get hit well enough unless they’re part of a compound movement. Maybe if I did dual cable lateral raises it would be better but I don’t want to take up that whole middle part of the machine station since my gym is always packed (and I hate unilateral work).

I am a big believer in standardizing form & effort level first before even worrying about the volume. People don’t need to go to failure like I do but being there each and every rep, set…nothing beats it in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Ondle View Post
    I’m with you op. I actually like this setup gonna steal it and try myself. I always do better with high intensity programs. I recover better which is why I think it works. Higher volume programs leave me feeling beat up.
    I also find it more enjoyable knowing I won’t have to face a 90 minute workout (excluding drive time). Really good for those with busy schedules. It gets old quick for me being in the gym long and I don’t want to necessarily increase frequency either to compensate.

Potentially making slower progress as opposed to higher volume but guaranteeing consistency/adherence>more effective (higher volume) workouts that I don’t look forward to at all