SimonRodd1999 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Do I eat burned calories while building muscle/losing weight

Hi everyone,

Please take it easy on me, im new to all this .

So, right now I want to lose some body fat and slowly build muscle aswell, I repeat, slowly, I just want to look okay for this summer.

Weight: 85kg
    Lenght: 196cm

What I usually do is eat around a maximum of 2.000 calories a day, this should be below the recommended of 2500/2700 for me, so far so good.

For my workout I usually walk (4km/h) 1 hour to the gym --> do an all body strenght training for 45 minutes --> walk 1 hour back to my house.

Basically with the above walking and workout combined I am burning an easy 800 calories.

This basically means if I eat 2.000 calories, and I burn 800 calories, at the end of the day my body has to work with 1200 calories..

Of course this is easilly making me lose weight and it is going great so far.

But is the strenght training I am doing now completely useless, since you should actually be on a bulk to really gain muscle mass.
    Are those machines where I am really putting my muscles to the maximum untill they cannot do a single rep anymore, just useless....?

I eat around 2.5 to 3 grams of protein per KG so this is should not be a problem.

Again, my main goal is to just look good this summer, I do not need that much muscle, I just want to maintain the ones which are covered below my body fat.

However with eating 2000 calories a day and also burning 800, it sounds that keeping these muscles is basically impossible, no matter if I work them out or eat enough protein. The internet is not making it clear for me.

To make it clear, no I do not workout everyday, so sometimes I am at 2000 calories a day, sometimes at 1200 if I include the workout from that day.

Thanks
    Last edited by SimonRodd1999; 05-29-2022 at 10:59 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    There is no reason to break calories burned into categories like BMR, daily activity, formal exercise etc. Just focus on net balance: total in vs total out for the day.

Muscle gain is best close to or slightly above maintenance calories. Fat loss needs a calorie deficit - at your BF% levels, 500-750 a day deficit is fine. 2000 calorie is probably about right.

Formal exercise doesn't add much to TDEE unless you do really protracted cardio sessions. A straight 45 minute weight session probably only adds 150 extra calories burned compared to what you would normally be doing during the day.

Simple strategy: eat the same calories every day, weigh yourself every day, look for the long term trend (because there will be noise caused by water weight changes in your measurements)

Don't worry about day to day variation in amount burned because your body is very good at buffering out energy supply over a longer period than that.
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 05-30-2022 at 12:37 AM.