radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thoughts on wide pads for bench? (14")

I'm used to benching off of a standard 12" pad but contemplating making the jump to a 14" wide pad. I don't expect to magically press more weight, but I'm under the impression most people like the wide pads better. What's your experience?

I'm not currently experiencing shoulder issues but I have in the past and I've read wide pads can be beneficial there too. True?

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I'm used to benching off of a standard 12" pad but contemplating making the jump to a 14" wide pad. I don't expect to magically press more weight, but I'm under the impression most people like the wide pads better. What's your experience?

I'm not currently experiencing shoulder issues but I have in the past and I've read wide pads can be beneficial there too. True?
    They're awesome. And yes, they're safer on shoulders unless your shoulder girdle is narrow and already well supported by a 12" pad. I own 3: thompson fat pad, a bells of steel knockoff and one I made myself at first. Go with the thompson, Bells of Steel is a bit too firm.
    Only issue you might have is bench ending up being too high depending which frame you put it on.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    They're awesome. And yes, they're safer on shoulders unless your shoulder girdle is narrow and already well supported by a 12" pad. I own 3: thompson fat pad, a bells of steel knockoff and one I made myself at first. Go with the thompson, Bells of Steel is a bit too firm.
    Only issue you might have is bench ending up being too high depending which frame you put it on.
    While I can't speak for radrd, I think he might be referring to the Irwin Adjustable 1.0 Bench at a height of 17.3" with an optional upgrade of a 14" wide pad...

https://irwinfitness.ca/products/irwin-fitness-ab-1-0

I'm actually curious myself how 14" pads are and how incline bench angles feel on them as well.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Depends on your frame I think. I'm good with 10-12" pads, but find the 14" to interfere with my ROM for some lifts.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    While I can't speak for radrd, I think he might be referring to the Irwin Adjustable 1.0 Bench at a height of 17.3" with an optional upgrade of a 14" wide pad...

https://irwinfitness.ca/products/irwin-fitness-ab-1-0

I'm actually curious myself how 14" pads are and how incline bench angles feel on them as well.
    Yep, that's the one, though I've also thought about swapping for the Thompson pad on my Rep flat bench. I don't think that would be worth it but hard to say. Maybe I'll cut a 14" piece of plywood to test ROM.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    Depends on your frame I think. I'm good with 10-12" pads, but find the 14" to interfere with my ROM for some lifts.
    I happened to have two 14" x 12" wood blocks sitting around and tried benching light off of them with 14" under my shoulders. Felt surprisingly comfortable with good ROM. A bench pad will obviously feel better. Leaning heavily towards upgrading to a wide pad and potentially the Irwin bench. Lol at shipping alone costing as much as some other benches...

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In case you also use your bench for other things, I've found wider benches to be a little awkward for things like incline db curls, chest supported incline db rows, etc. For pressing they were fine. But depends on your own dimensions.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Love mine!
    3 legged 14" super grippy fat pad with just enough sink to really let the upper back just settle in without being unstable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdeCy2WN...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

From a uk based company called extreme fitness, purchased early lockdown. Still perfect cond.

Can flip it and jack the single leg up for low inclines or just jack the leg for low decline.

The big downside to it is this-
    You will detest skinny commercial benches after you use it once.. Srs
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I happened to have two 14" x 12" wood blocks sitting around and tried benching light off of them with 14" under my shoulders. Felt surprisingly comfortable with good ROM. A bench pad will obviously feel better. Leaning heavily towards upgrading to a wide pad and potentially the Irwin bench. Lol at shipping alone costing as much as some other benches...
    Thanks for testing it out, I'm broad shouldered and remembered on one of my previous 12" wide pad benches as well as the IM Super Bench Pro with the hybrid pad getting a full ROM, so the 14" wide pad might work out good.

Crazy to think that the total price of that bench with shipping almost cost the same as my custom power rack decked out with a lot of features when the steel prices were lower...I e-mailed them about some additional information and features on the bench out of curiousity.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    In case you also use your bench for other things, I've found wider benches to be a little awkward for things like incline db curls, chest supported incline db rows, etc. For pressing they were fine. But depends on your own dimensions.
    Fortunately, I also have an Ironmaster Super Bench Pro that I'll be keeping for decline work and anything where a narrow bench is advantageous.

Thanks for testing it out, I'm broad shouldered and remembered on one of my previous 12" wide pad benches as well as the IM Super Bench Pro with the hybrid pad getting a full ROM, so the 14" wide pad might work out good.
    Glad I could help potentially lighten your wallet as well. I'm not particularly broad shouldered so I bet you'll be fine.

Crazy to think that the total price of that bench with shipping almost cost the same as my custom power rack decked out with a lot of features when the steel prices were lower...I e-mailed them about some additional information and features on the bench out of curiousity.
    I also emailed to find out the upper/back pad length and will report back. I think it's plenty long enough that the pad gap won't be an issue.

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fortunately, I also have an Ironmaster Super Bench Pro that I'll be keeping for decline work and anything where a narrow bench is advantageous.
    Given this and some initial testing I'd go for it. Love my Thompson for flat benching. A long while back Mech made a custom frame for some of us so it sits properly at 17".

Really nice addition. I have a Rogue adjustable with 11.5" pad for normal stuff and then an Inspire for my FT (Rogue is too big to fit in the FT for all movements). I only flat bench on the Thompson 14" and love it.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

I heard back from Garth at Irwin and he's had an influx of new business due to the Basement Brandon review so email responses are delayed. The upper pad length is 39" which is about an inch longer than I figure I need. Now I just have to convince myself that this is worth the considerable premium over the Rep AB-5200. I like Rep as a company but the build quality is going to be lower and the prospect of potentially getting a wobbly adjustable bench from China is not appealing at all.

I heard back from Garth at Irwin and he's had an influx of new business due to the Basement Brandon review so email responses are delayed. The upper pad length is 39" which is about an inch longer than I figure I need. Now I just have to convince myself that this is worth the considerable premium over the Rep AB-5200. I like Rep as a company but the build quality is going to be lower and the prospect of potentially getting a wobbly adjustable bench from China is not appealing at all.
    Buy once, cry once lol...I personally wouldn't risk it on the Rep AB-5200 and think the Irwin would be your last bench you'd ever need...incidently Garth got back to me today as well and had these answers to a few of my questions...

"The 14” pads feel phenomenal for flat and incline benching. Very very stable platform and the bench itself is built to have no wobble at all."

"The transparent red is actually two layers of powdercoating, which adds $110 to the final cost, the Tiger camo would be an additional $50 as it is a lot of work to sand and clean the metal properly vs just sandblasting and coating."

"The gripper vinyl comes standard and is grippier than a Thompson fat pad (confirmed by a gym owner with both benches now)"

"As for shipping it is quite expensive to the states and where I lose most of my customers as the bench has to ship in a crate fully assembled. We would be looking at close to $450 CAD which makes it not very attractive to purchase. There are automatic bond and custom broker fees which total $110 USD added onto every shipment regardless of size which makes it super hard to compete with other companies in the states."

It's a investment for sure, but Garth seems like a good dude and the quality seems all there.

Thanks for all that info. The additional $110 USD isn't good news, but I'm not seeing any other benches out there with this quality and feature set. And with all the stuff going on with the global economy, I can't imagine prices are going down anytime soon.

I also sent Garth a couple follow-up questions this morning and he got right back to me. Sounds like he does clear coat, which is the direction I think I'd go. Also, the bottom pad/seat will taper 14" to 11" which sounds like what I'd want.

Very close to pulling the trigger...

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hang on now, are we talking $984 + $450 shipping + an additional $110 for this bench?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Hang on now, are we talking $984 + $450 shipping + an additional $110 for this bench?
    Not sure, but the $984 + $450 are CAD so it's less USD. The site doesn't add the $110 so I'm hoping it's already included. If I order, I'll do it through the site and see if they email me about another charge. Maybe negotiate it down, if I can.

Thanks for all that info. The additional $110 USD isn't good news, but I'm not seeing any other benches out there with this quality and feature set. And with all the stuff going on with the global economy, I can't imagine prices are going down anytime soon.

I also sent Garth a couple follow-up questions this morning and he got right back to me. Sounds like he does clear coat, which is the direction I think I'd go. Also, the bottom pad/seat will taper 14" to 11" which sounds like what I'd want.

Very close to pulling the trigger...
    Sounds like an epic investment if you decide to go through with the purchase, I'm definitely on the same page here...the Rogue Adjustable 2.0 bench will likely find itself a new home and possibly the Legend 3103 too.

I'm not 100% on it yet, but contemplating getting that Ironman/transparent red from the picture. The tiger camo, or if they did it with a red combo would be sick...but I think the additional $110 is as far as I'd go for the custom color (not $160).

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not sure, but the $984 + $450 are CAD so it's less USD. The site doesn't add the $110 so I'm hoping it's already included. If I order, I'll do it through the site and see if they email me about another charge. Maybe negotiate it down, if I can.
    Wow, that’s an expensive flat bench. I have a Rep replica made from 7ga steel that’s 16” high with the Rep 14” fat pad , I love it but would sell it for prices in that range.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    Wow, that’s an expensive flat bench. I have a Rep replica made from 7ga steel that’s 16” high with the Rep 14” fat pad , I love it but would sell it for prices in that range.
    It's an adjustable bench. Flat + incline. No decline but I don't need that. Still expensive.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Still expensive.
    For sure! I just passed on spending $750 for Legend 3103, which is now sounding pretty reasonable LOL.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

I found this brief review on the bench with some pics yesterday by another person in the US...

https://www.reddit.com/r/homegym/com...with_wide_pad/

I don't disagree with anyone on the insane price of this bench, I just don't see the steel and exchange rate prices getting any cheaper anytime soon and also this bench sounds like the last bench anyone would ever own...there's just nothing out there in my opinion that can top any of it's features. Throw in the Ironmaster Super Bench Pro to compliment the Irwin Adjustable 1.0 and you got all your barbell and DB work as well as bench angles covered.

I'm close to pursuing this investment with a few more questions first, unless someone talks me out of it and I doubt it'll be the equipment crew helping me out with that lol.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 05-14-2022 at 08:08 AM.

I found this brief review on the bench with some pics yesterday by another person in the US...

https://www.reddit.com/r/homegym/com...with_wide_pad/

I don't disagree with anyone on the insane price of this bench, I just don't see the steel and exchange rate prices getting any cheaper anytime soon and also this bench sounds like the last bench anyone would ever own...there's just nothing out there in my opinion that can top any of it's features. Throw in the Ironmaster Super Bench Pro to compliment the Irwin Adjustable 1.0 and you got all your barbell and DB work as well as bench angles covered.

I'm close to pursuing this investment with a few more questions first, unless someone talks me out of it and I doubt it'll be the equipment crew helping me out with that lol.
    Sorry, can't help you. Just placed my order for the adjustable bench + roller j-cups.

Honestly, this seems like a better investment than putting the money in the stock market.

Sorry, can't help you. Just placed my order for the adjustable bench + roller j-cups.

Honestly, this seems like a better investment than putting the money in the stock market.
    Oh snap!!! Congrats on the upcoming addition.

You picked the clear coat?

Also, vertical stand yay, or nay? (I don't store my benches vertical so I got no use for it, but some might for the upcharge).

Oh snap!!! Congrats on the upcoming addition.

You picked the clear coat?

Also, vertical stand yay, or nay? (I don't store my benches vertical so I got no use for it, but some might for the upcharge).
    Yep, clear coat unless it comes with a significant upcharge. I don't think it does. Vertical stand too. Love storing my benches vertical. I added a thick magnet that I found on Amazon to my Rep FB5000 so it stands vertically without resting on the pad. The FB5000 will now be finding a new home, hopefully in late June.

Yep, clear coat unless it comes with a significant upcharge. I don't think it does. Vertical stand too. Love storing my benches vertical. I added a thick magnet that I found on Amazon to my Rep FB5000 so it stands vertically without resting on the pad. The FB5000 will now be finding a new home, hopefully in late June.
    Got bit by the equipment bug myself...gonna be getting a quote from Garth later tonight on the Irwin AB 1.0 Bench with 14" wide pad and vertical stand and a pair of the Roller J-Cups with 2X3 adapter for my rack both in iron man red...thanks a lot radrd and equipment crew lol.

Got bit by the equipment bug myself...gonna be getting a quote from Garth later tonight on the Irwin AB 1.0 Bench with 14" wide pad and vertical stand and a pair of the Roller J-Cups with 2X3 adapter for my rack both in iron man red...thanks a lot radrd and equipment crew lol.
    You're welcome. Report back when it's a done deal and we'll see who wins the race to get their bench first. There is a slight chance I'll be driving over the border and picking it up at a shipping terminal to save some money. Waiting for an updated quote. The cost of gas and how much time it will take may not make it worthwhile but we'll see. It's about 2.5 hours each way if there isn't a long line at the border crossing.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're welcome. Report back when it's a done deal and we'll see who wins the race to get their bench first. There is a slight chance I'll be driving over the border and picking it up at a shipping terminal to save some money. Waiting for an updated quote. The cost of gas and how much time it will take may not make it worthwhile but we'll see. It's about 2.5 hours each way if there isn't a long line at the border crossing.
    Don't want to start a vaccine thread but you better check this site https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ons/exemptions before you show up, you may not be allowed to cross.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    Don't want to start a vaccine thread but you better check this site https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ons/exemptions before you show up, you may not be allowed to cross.
    I work in travel and had to get the jab. Actually was in BC a couple weeks ago. Shouldn't be a problem even if they require testing when the time comes. If the border shuts down again, we'll then I'm fukked.