philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Strength training and adaptations?

I have done mostly trained for hypertrophy, but starting to pick up more interest towards strength and powerlifting. I know that around 75% of 1RM is the minimum threshold for strength. But if you work from 75% to 85%, would this be progressive overload? Or would progressive overload be only when you set a new PR? Like when you train for hypertrophy, closer you are to failure, more growth happens, does more neural adaptations happen when lifting at higher percentages?

Also what dictates if you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced? Is it how much total work you need to do to drive strength adaptations?

Like for a beginner, one session might be enough to set a new PR next session, and an intermediate might need a week of training to see new PRs, and more advanced lifters might need more then a month to make a new PR.

And regardless if you are beginner or advanced, should weight be progressed heavier each week for strength? Seems like most strength and powerlfiting programs has some linearity in load progression.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by philip750 View Post
    I have done mostly trained for hypertrophy, but starting to pick up more interest towards strength and powerlifting. I know that around 75% of 1RM is the minimum threshold for strength. But if you work from 75% to 85%, would this be progressive overload? Or would progressive overload be only when you set a new PR? Like when you train for hypertrophy, closer you are to failure, more growth happens, does more neural adaptations happen when lifting at higher percentages?

Also what dictates if you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced? Is it how much total work you need to do to drive strength adaptations?

Like for a beginner, one session might be enough to set a new PR next session, and an intermediate might need a week of training to see new PRs, and more advanced lifters might need more then a month to make a new PR.

And regardless if you are beginner or advanced, should weight be progressed heavier each week for strength? Seems like most strength and powerlfiting programs has some linearity in load progression.

Dont over think any of this .

Its this simple I swear…

Lets take bench press…

Lets say you can do 275x5 good reps.

Do four sets with 275 always trying to
    Gain reps with good form…

Soon youll
    Do
    Six….then 7….and then 8…,

Now
    Start training with 280…..

When u can do
    8……use 285…..when u can do 8 use 290….

Every now and again throw in a pyramid like this 5-3-1-1

Eventually youll be smashing 400
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1) what coach said

2) stop overthinking strength vs hypertrophy. It is a stupid waste of time. Get stronger at different movements and add more reps and weight. A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle. Anything between 6 and 20 is good.

Bodybuilders that turn around and dominate powerlifting competitions are proof of that.

Stan Efferding …
    Dana Linn Bailey …
    Paul Carter …

just to name a few

3) unless you are trying to peak for a meet, no point in doing any 1RM stuff in the gym unless it is just to satiate the ego (not a bad thing but don’t get carried away)

Save the maximal lifts for the platform

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What coach said. It's what I do.
    Funihe renal hoses in Cofevile Kasa. Washe/drye, ful kitcen, cale/wif, all bils paid. Weders, fiters, boiermakes, ecticians, inpecors the refiery, soybea plat, bio disel plat, piplie and anmal fod plat conracos.

philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10) philip750 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys, so its not that important to use periodization for just pure strength training?

And am i right that its the total volume, intensity and frequency that drives progression? And not the act of adding more load that drives adaptations? of course it have to go up over time. But more advanced you get, the more total work and time it will take to see progression in terms of adaptations?

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by philip750 View Post
    Thanks guys, so its not that important to use periodization for just pure strength training?

And am i right that its the total volume, intensity and frequency that drives progression? And not the act of adding more load that drives adaptations? of course it have to go up over time. But more advanced you get, the more total work and time it will take to see progression in terms of adaptations?

Cant speak for others but I used the same kind of training to break 200, 300 and 400 lb bench.

In a nut shell 4 sets of bench every four days, 4 sets of inclines too. Gradually adding weight to the bar and training overwhelmingly in the 5-8 rep range. In
    Fact, I rarely did triples until preparing for 405 .

The volume, intensity and frequency has to be enough to stimulate adaptation.

I have always trained to failure and never “deload” as a plan or use periodization as a plan but definitely autoregulated my training.

Knowing when to push for more or when to take it easy is all by feel.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A 405 bench is so insane. I bet you were on cloud nine for like a month after that lol.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Dont over think any of this .

Its this simple I swear…

Lets take bench press…

Lets say you can do 275x5 good reps.

Do four sets with 275 always trying to
    Gain reps with good form…

Soon youll
    Do
    Six….then 7….and then 8…,

Now
    Start training with 280…..

When u can do
    8……use 285…..when u can do 8 use 290….

Every now and again throw in a pyramid like this 5-3-1-1

Eventually youll be smashing 400

Not likely.

The reality is that few individual will Bench Press 400 lbs.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kennycroxdale View Post
    Not likely.

The reality is that few individual will Bench Press 400 lbs.

Kenny Croxdale
    I've know someone in person who has. Give up early and you never will.

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post

Can’t give up!

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Can’t give up!
    I'm going to keep fighting for weight on the bar as long as I'm able to lift.

I'm going to keep fighting for weight on the bar as long as I'm able to lift.

Its a journey, life comes at you fast and there are incredible streaks and some bad lulls in training and gaining but to join the race and stay in it….winning more often than u lose….thats the way

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know 2.

One used full ROM.

The other is an annoying twink who used so much arch you would think he was a contortionist. Literally like 2.5” the bar moved and his ass was clean off the bench which I’m pretty sure is illegal in comp.

Squats stupid high and deadlifts sumo with straps.

Be like guy #1

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I know 2.

One used full ROM.

The other is an annoying twink who used so much arch you would think he was a contortionist. Literally like 2.5” the bar moved and his ass was clean off the bench which I’m pretty sure is illegal in comp.

Squats stupid high and deadlifts sumo with straps.

Be like guy #1
    Yeah, I've debated to myself whether or not to pursue a full powerlifting arch, and decided against it. Full scapular retraction with a solid and tight upper back, feet planted on the ground with a strong leg drive: whatever degree of lumbar extension that results in - which will be some, of course - is what I think would be good. Literally folding backwards in half just to reduce RoM is not something I want to train for.

Heres some half rep pumping bench 355

Theres also a 315 incline

Both are smith machine vids.

Its a few years ago but…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRzfueJVJQ

This is my all time favorite lift because a)it was after training chest and back and b) my shoulder press used to be horrible!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TvnaHRaQ7p0

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, I've debated to myself whether or not to pursue a full powerlifting arch, and decided against it. Full scapular retraction with a solid and tight upper back, feet planted on the ground with a strong leg drive: whatever degree of lumbar extension that results in - which will be some, of course - is what I think would be good. Literally folding backwards in half just to reduce RoM is not something I want to train for.
    If you actually watch any of the higher mens weight classes.... There are very few super twink arches, like the women and smaller men use.

Many use what would be classed as a moderate grip to

What you describe is pretty standard to be honest for bigger lads, but with really dialed in leg 'drive'

The thing to remember is...
    Shorter rom isn't always better Leverage, and frequently isn't actually stronger.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.