Thread: Super Squats?

TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Super Squats?

"Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks
    Book by Randall J. Strossen"

what do you guys think of this program? im not going to run it now because i dont consider myself good enough at squats yet to do this but i might run it one day.

this is a 20 rep squat program, basically, lots of squatting and lots of milk.
    ofcourse it has other exercises but squats are the key.

would love to know your opinion on it!

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TopHeavyMirin View Post
    "Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks
    Book by Randall J. Strossen"

what do you guys think of this program? im not going to run it now because i dont consider myself good enough at squats yet to do this but i might run it one day.

this is a 20 rep squat program, basically, lots of squatting and lots of milk.
    ofcourse it has other exercises but squats are the key.

would love to know your opinion on it!
    It's actually how to gain 27-28 pounds of fat in 6 weeks and 2-3 pounds of actual muscle. Much like Rippetoe's nonsense of "10 pounds of muscle in the first 2 weeks" where he advises the naive to fatten up with absurd caloric intakes to fool the trainee into thinking that significant muscle is accompanying their strength gains (after all, they're stronger and look bigger in clothes smh), this is snake oil. Even chemically assisted 30 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks would be a tall order.

Without chemical assistance, smart, hard training and mindful recovery will yield about 2 pounds of actual muscle a month (3 pounds of scale weight if you're watching your modest caloric surplus properly) over the first year of training. Best case, 25 pounds muscle maybe. Average case 15-20 pounds. True hardgainer case 12-15 pounds. (In my case, a decade ago, I gained 22pounds in 1st year without losing my 6 pack, a little exceptional but I put it down to drive more than genetics. I mention to let you know I'm not a pessimist or conservative in muscle growth potential so hopefully you'll put some stock in my opinion that the claim in the ad/program you mention is ridiculous snake oil.)
    Last edited by LukeEverhart; 09-21-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    "Simply put, stronger does not necessarily equal bigger, & bigger does not necessarily equal stronger" -B. Schoenfeld
    Know your goal; train accordingly. Size is a lagging, secondary benefit of strength training; strength is a lagging, secondary benefit of size training

"Progressive overload means gradually making your muscles work harder. Yes, adding weight constitutes an overload, but that's not the only way..." -C. Thibaudeau
    Rep tempo, rep count, set intervals, volume can be used

TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah I know it's basically impossible to gain 30lb in 6 weeks, but I was just wondering about the program as a whole. Is it a good program to run and what would I get out of it?

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TopHeavyMirin View Post
    Yeah I know it's basically impossible to gain 30lb in 6 weeks, but I was just wondering about the program as a whole. Is it a good program to run and what would I get out of it?
    The original program:
    "Press behind the neck 3 x 12
    Squat 1 x 20 (w/weight you can do 10 normal reps, take breathing reps to 20)
    Bench press 3 x 12
    Barbell Row 3 x 15
    Stiff legged deadlift 1 x 15
    Pullover 1 x 20
    The program is done 2-3 times a week. If all reps are completed, more weight is added to the bar."

It isn't bad. But be warned: even 1 set of "breathing squats" (load for 10reps and breath r-p to 20 reps) takes more grit and is far more intense than doing most of the entire programs usually suggested on this forum for beginners (fierce 5, etc) but it'll do far more for you than 3 sets of x5 squats.
    I like the rep range on the other movements IF the movements are loaded heavy enough to take the last set to 0-1 RIR. The lower the working weight as a % of 1RM the more essential getting closer to or at failure is. Bear in mind though, taking a set to 0-1 RIR over the course of 12 reps is a lot harder than taking a set that far for 5 reps (weight adjusted appropriately in comparison), which is one reason so many prefer lower rep ranges -- they're simply less grueling.
    As to what you would get out of it, muscle growth. Realistic muscle growth, not the absurd claims, but good beginner growth. No better than, for example, AllPros but I'd wager quite a bit better than SS for the average beginner.
    Last edited by LukeEverhart; 09-21-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    "Simply put, stronger does not necessarily equal bigger, & bigger does not necessarily equal stronger" -B. Schoenfeld
    Know your goal; train accordingly. Size is a lagging, secondary benefit of strength training; strength is a lagging, secondary benefit of size training

"Progressive overload means gradually making your muscles work harder. Yes, adding weight constitutes an overload, but that's not the only way..." -C. Thibaudeau
    Rep tempo, rep count, set intervals, volume can be used

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    seems like he completely ripped off Wendler's widowmaker

not saying it won't work but this technique is probably better reserved for intermediates or advanced lifters

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As long as you realize it's a short term novelty, not a sensible long term program choice, it may be worth a try as a huge kick in azz.

I once ran a variant of 1* 20 squats (3 times a week, linear increase) as "breathing squats". It lasted longer than I'd thought I'd manage, but the session that ended it I collapsed totally unexpectedly into the safety arms and was so nearly sick in the chalk bucket.

After that a set of 5 felt so short. I think what I got out of it was as much mental training as anything physical. I'm not rushing back to it again, but if you're non novice it may be worth a try just once. Just don't blame me for whatever happens

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dazitmayn View Post
    seems like he completely ripped off Wendler's widowmaker

not saying it won't work but this technique is probably better reserved for intermediates or advanced lifters
    The book was first published in 1989.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Ah that's good. Im going to try this next year as I don't think I will be able to load up very heavyily on the squats since I'm still a beginner

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    seems like he completely ripped off Wendler's widowmakers
    Except his supersquat book came out when Wendler was a high school student.

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    commentary aside my advice still stands

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    commentary aside my advice still stands
    I think the whole point of supersquats is getting young men to really exert themselves under the bar. And for some kids it really works. Middle aged men and such, not so much.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    I think the whole point of supersquats is getting young men to really exert themselves under the bar. And for some kids it really works. Middle aged men and such, not so much.
    i mean sure but I think for a beginner lifter who wants to learn how to squat shouldn't perform it under high fatigue, that's when reps get sloppy and youre reinforcing bad motor patterns

Agree with dazitmayn. if you run this as a beginner your form will be horrible and will not loose that squat habit for a long time