Registered User GuillaumeAubinF's Avatar
    GuillaumeAubinF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't train shoulder

Hi , thanks for taking time to read this
    so I got a Bankart surgery on my left shoulder few weeks ago and my surgeon said I could train my legs but nothing that would put pressure on my shoulder....

Now my question is which exercices you guys would recommend I could do without involving any shoulder motion to keep a bit of my strenght in my legs so I wont lose too much on my squatting game?

Thanks

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Back squats (assuming you can comfortably hold the bar, and bear its weight on your shoulders)

Leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf raise.

ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you can't do the weight on the barbell then just use the smith machine and do squats at an adequate weight that doesn't put alot of pressure on the shoulders (smith machine should be much easier though). Do some lunges using a smith-machine (could either be unilateral or both legs), leg press machine, leg extension, leg curl, standing calf raises.

This should still give you the strength you're looking to keep and also improve.

Also doing unilateral leg presses is a good way to build strength in the legs.
    if you need someone to chat with, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    shoulder surgery? Avoid loading anything on your shoulders, so no squats. You can do belt squats and sled pulls (from a belt on your waist) but no loading of the shoulder at all. You need to discus this with your surgeon. Since you've had your labrum worked on typically no lifting for 4 months and then it's high reps (3 x 15-20) at lighter weights and you start benching with a broom or a bar with no weights.

In the injury section there are some great threads regarding shoulder surgery and recovery.

Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, no squats. You shouldn't have any load on the shoulder at all, especially with a cartilaginous surgery. Your labrum is a vital part to the stability of your shoulder and if you compromise the repair, then your chances of having surgery again are pretty high (assuming you have shoulder instability as that's usually what a Bankart repair is addressing). Leg press machine, belt squats (if you have that available to you, not a very common machine), leg curls/extensions if you're into that, lunges, step ups, calf raises.

I recently dislocated my shoulder and so I couldn't apply any load to my shoulder, and I was consistently doing leg press, lunges, step ups, and calf raises. I didn't do any weight with the lunges or step ups, just increased the reps. You're limited in certain things but are definitely still able to get some leg work in.
    Andrew Peterson, CPT

Exercise Science, B.S.
    Doctorate of Physical Therapy Student