Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Are Calisthenics better for bodybuilding while weights are better for mass?

Otherwise, are bodyweight workouts better in terms of aesthetics generally while iron is better for building mass and power?

I employ a mixture of the two, which is, frankly, six days a week of 2-3 hours each in the gym lifting along with 100 push ups, crunches, and calf raises every day with body weight. Was wondering if maybe I should do a bit more of the latter, honestly.

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Resistance is resistance.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What do you particularly mean by bodybuilding?

Bodybuilding by definition is the practice of putting on mass. Weights are pretty much all that's talked about here, so yeah, mass and weights, but that's what bodybuilding is.

Calisthenics fits more into varying fitness categories to condition for exhibition.

Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob1950 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "Resistance is resistance " is OK. But I see some little problem with progressive muscle loading in calisthenics without using additional weights or voluntary muscle self-resistance. But anyway, the combination of weightlifting and calisthenics is not a bad idea.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    aesthetics is mass plus low bf%. BW exercises are highly inefficient ways for building mass. Sure, ifyou want to do 2 hours of pushups every day for 10 years to look line someone who has been going to the gym for a months, go ahead.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    IMO, progressive resistance is king for adding mass. Hard to add progressive resistance via bodyweight. Then, being lean gives you that "fit" look. That can be accomplished solely via diet. So calisthenics are actually unnecessary, but not "wrong".

I can just meet my goals faster with weights. Much faster.

Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Titan127 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    aesthetics is mass plus low bf%. BW exercises are highly inefficient ways for building mass. Sure, ifyou want to do 2 hours of pushups every day for 10 years to look line someone who has been going to the gym for a months, go ahead.
    100 push ups doesn't take two hours bud. Probably more like five minutes throughout the day. And I said above that I spend most of my time in the gym.

Originally Posted by Bob1950 View Post
    "Resistance is resistance " is OK. But I see some little problem with progressive muscle loading in calisthenics without using additional weights or voluntary muscle self-resistance. But anyway, the combination of weightlifting and calisthenics is not a bad idea.
    That's what I figure. My weight-to-strength isn't great. Like, I can toss around more weight than almost anyone at my gym, although most are med school students, but I can only clear my weight by 75 pounds on squat and 35 pounds on bench, so my thinking is that bodyweight should helpwith that at least a bit.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Titan127 View Post
    And I said above that I spend most of my time in the gym.
    You sure the **** dont look like you spend 3 hours a day 6 days a week in the gym. YOu may want to try actually putting some weight on the bar so fater an hour or so you are ready to call it a day.

Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most people that mainly lift weights and some pull-ups and dips also do a whole lot of isolation work. I think that leads to more of a "gym" body and not an athletic "aesthetic" build. Pull-ups use your biceps, but you don't get better at pull ups by doing arm curls. Isolating supportive muscles to develop them to be bigger has a different look.

Calisthenics can be made extremely challenging, even without adding weights for weighted dips/pull-ups or resistance bands for push ups. Use different leverage points. Push ups too easy? Do pike push ups, do hand stand push ups, be able to planch hold and planche push ups. There is progression for all that and no doubt it'll be challenging. Go "archer" on everything. Push up position, place your working arm so you have balance, assisting goes farther out from torso and do a push up like that where you are mostly lifting with one arm. Doing this with good form takes a whole lot of core strength and will offer more resistance depending how much assistance you make use of from other arm. Same thing with pull ups. Body mostly under working arm, assisting arm farther out (the farther, the harder it is) and pull up trying to use just one arm.

I use to lift a lot. I am really into calisthenics now and I like it so much more.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

Not Casca Berserk. Casca The Eternal Soldier

☆☆☆Perfectly Imperfect �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆What is the point of doing a bunch of reps if every rep you do is CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆snailsrus �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆High Five �яєω☆☆☆

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    Most people that mainly lift weights and some pull-ups and dips also do a whole lot of isolation work. I think that leads to more of a "gym" body and not an athletic "aesthetic" build. Pull-ups use your biceps, but you don't get better at pull ups by doing arm curls. Isolating supportive muscles to develop them to be bigger has a different look.

Calisthenics can be made extremely challenging, even without adding weights for weighted dips/pull-ups or resistance bands for push ups. Use different leverage points. Push ups too easy? Do pike push ups, do hand stand push ups, be able to planch hold and planche push ups. There is progression for all that and no doubt it'll be challenging. Go "archer" on everything. Push up position, place your working arm so you have balance, assisting goes farther out from torso and do a push up like that where you are mostly lifting with one arm. Doing this with good form takes a whole lot of core strength and will offer more resistance depending how much assistance you make use of from other arm. Same thing with pull ups. Body mostly under working arm, assisting arm farther out (the farther, the harder it is) and pull up trying to use just one arm.

I use to lift a lot. I am really into calisthenics now and I like it so much more.
    You do realize you can only build or lose muscle right?
    It doesn't change shape, insertion, bodyfat or any other random factor depending on what sort of training you do
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    You do realize you can only build or lose muscle right?
    It doesn't change shape, insertion, bodyfat or any other random factor depending on what sort of training you do

I agree mostly. But also been training forever, use to do lots of deadlifting. My neck grew a little, but not like it is now. Neck is the only isolation work I do and it is definitely different looking compared to before and that would not happen without me isolating it. Can you spot dudes that spend all day doing arm curls and tricep push downs? I can. Also traps, with all my deadlifting, I had traps but not like the cartoon huge of guys on unmentionables or actually directly train them with heavy shrugs. I am not saying it changes the shape, but the size in relation to other muscles.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆What is the point of doing a bunch of reps if every rep you do is CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆snailsrus �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆High Five �яєω☆☆☆

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Can you spot dudes that spend all day doing arm curls and tricep push downs?
    I see them all day long. I wouldn't call them bodybuilders.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree mostly. But also been training forever, use to do lots of deadlifting. My neck grew a little, but not like it is now. Neck is the only isolation work I do and it is definitely different looking compared to before and that would not happen without me isolating it. Can you spot dudes that spend all day doing arm curls and tricep push downs? I can. Also traps, with all my deadlifting, I had traps but not like the cartoon huge of guys on unmentionables or actually directly train them with heavy shrugs. I am not saying it changes the shape, but the size in relation to other muscles.
    Must have misinterpreted part of your post. Read like different means of resistance give different results.
    Isolating muscles that aren't heavily affected by your regular movements I'd agree make you bigger. Your neck comments make sense, though I'd wager if you were cleaning instead of Deadlifting you wouldn't have needed the isolation to make it grow
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

There's a guy at my gym that does a million pull ups whenever I see him there. Once, he tried to squat 1 plate. It was the slowest quarter rep I've ever seen. Calisthenics bros are a thing.
    Last edited by LactoseTolerant; 12-24-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Originally Posted by LactoseTolerant View Post
    There's a guy at my gym that does a million pull ups whenever I see him there. Once, he tried to squat 1 plate. It was the slowest quarter rep I've ever seen. Calisthenics bros are a thing.

The reverse is true too. Guys that can squat 500lbs and up, but can't do one pull up if their life depended on it. Doesn't really matter to me. People have different goals. And for a second, I thought you were talking about me, but I don't even try to squat lol
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆snailsrus �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆High Five �яєω☆☆☆

When I talk about calisthenics, I mean like this

If you think it is "Hard to add progressive resistance via body weight.", you don't know chit. I am all about ability. I am totally not a crossfitter. My muscle up, will be ZERO momentum. Working on it. If you use straps to work muscles that don't fail before your gripe strength, you will be developing a gym body.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆snailsrus �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆High Five �яєω☆☆☆

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    You sure the **** dont look like you spend 3 hours a day 6 days a week in the gym. YOu may want to try actually putting some weight on the bar so fater an hour or so you are ready to call it a day.
    Dang dude, really got me there.

If you think it is "Hard to add progressive resistance via body weight.", you don't know chit. I am all about ability. I am totally not a crossfitter. My muscle up, will be ZERO momentum. Working on it. If you use straps to work muscles that don't fail before your gripe strength, you will be developing a gym body.
    Wow. Now that stuff isn't anything I'll be doing any time soon, because I'm not there, and considering I don't ever intend on being under 240 again, I might never be. I think some of the stuff you had earlier was good though, with changing up the push ups to make them more difficult and such, and I think I'll test it out today when I get a chance.

Merry Christmas all, btw.
    Height: 6'5" Weight: 240 lb
    Bench: 305; Squat: 380;Deadlift: 425

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This is not calisthenics - these guys are or were gymnasts!!
    Last edited by etet1919; 12-25-2018 at 05:25 AM.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    This is not calisthenics - these guys are or were gymnasts!!
    Some of them, sure. Many are not. But it's like saying people lifting weights in the gym are not body building, they are power lifting. I mean, if you think calisthenics is just jumping jacks, push ups and pull ups, I guess it's just something you never had a real interest in. Pull ups and push ups is just the beginnings of it and most people stop there if even that. Doing like the vids posted here and earlier is calisthenics as well, but it's a whole lot more difficult.

Calisthenics: cal·is·then·ics
    gymnastic exercises to achieve bodily fitness and grace of movement.

early 19th century: from Greek kallos ‘beauty’ + sthenos ‘strength’ + -ics.

Calisthenics is a form of exercise consisting of a variety of gross motor movements—running, standing, grasping, pushing, etc.—often performed rhythmically and with minimal equipment, so essentially, bodyweight exercises.
    Body weight exercise.

These guys, especially the bald one were probably gymnast, did floor routines, back flips and all that gymnast competition stuff. Now they do bar workouts, body weight exercise.

This guy was probably never a gymnast. He just really gets into body weight training.

Yes, calisthenics does stuff that gymnast do. Just like body builders bench press, does that mean they compete in lifting competitions? The guys in the vid are putting on a performance, but most of what they did is used for a calisthenics workout and done for reps or as a hold for time.

I am not a gymnast, I'll be able to planche solidly before 2020, maybe even a slow muscle up to a hand stand on the bar and down to a planche hold. A lot of the guys in the vid DID NOT start out as a gymnast and they do compete. There are competitions for Calisthenics and it is very different from Gymnastic competitions.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆snailsrus �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆High Five �яєω☆☆☆

etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^ Would you consider most of their strength and power comes from their "core"?
    Last edited by etet1919; 12-25-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    ^^^ Would you consider most of their strength and power comes from their "core"?

No. It takes a lot of core strength, but just about everything else is involved as well. Core strength is involved in just about everything though and you will develop a very good mid-section. You don't just get strong to get better at this stuff, getting lean helps a lot. And I don't know if it's just me, but I really want to get better at this stuff and it really has motivated me to lean out.

I think many weight lifters that also do pull ups, put their legs behind them and some might not even have considered scapular positioning. Guys into this stuff will usually do a hollow body, tighten up and bring their shoulders down and retracted for pull ups .
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆snailsrus �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆High Five �яєω☆☆☆

Women into pull ups do this^^ also!!

The reverse is true too. Guys that can squat 500lbs and up, but can't do one pull up if their life depended on it. Doesn't really matter to me. People have different goals. And for a second, I thought you were talking about me, but I don't even try to squat lol
    People that squat 500 lbs tend to be pretty heavy people.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    People that squat 500 lbs tend to be pretty heavy people.
    How heavy are sumo wrestlers? Imagine them doing "hollow body" pullups......that's pretty "hollarious"

I think OP confuses calisthetics with competitive gymnasts showing off on youtube.