Thread: Pretty Confused

kanjinator is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pretty Confused

I am 20 years old and wanted to rebuild my body. I am 5'10 inches tall. At 18 I hit a high weight of 220 pounds. I went through a year-long cut of doing a lot of running and now currently at 170 pounds. I am currently in my third month of weight training. I am doing 3 days a week consisting of Chest, Triceps. Back and Biceps. And Legs. Right now I am not sure if I should eat a calorie surplus or not to build muscle. For most workouts, I am lifting heavy and trying to push myself in weight each week. Right now I have a high body fat percentage. I have a heavy chest area and heavy love handle area giving me a hard pear-shaped look. I am confused as I am in my third month in the gym being consistent and why my pear-shaped has not gone away much (barely any). My goal is to gain muscle while getting rid of the pear shaped look. If anyone has any tips that would be life changing!
    Attached Images

ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What does your routine look like ?

What is your squat , bench and dead-lift ?

I am squating 100 pounds, benching 100 and have not incorporated deadlift in as a i have lower back issues. My numbers are still increasing as I lost a lot of muscle in my cut. My workouts are intense though doing at least 3-4 workouts per body part. My workouts are usually 1 hour long.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pick a beginner's program and follow it consistently. Consistency is fare more important than what particular program you follow (assuming its one of the proven ones here in the stickies).

Best of luck.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kanjinator View Post
    I am 20 years old and wanted to rebuild my body. I am 5'10 inches tall. At 18 I hit a high weight of 220 pounds. I went through a year-long cut of doing a lot of running and now currently at 170 pounds. I am currently in my third month of weight training. I am doing 3 days a week consisting of Chest, Triceps. Back and Biceps. And Legs. Right now I am not sure if I should eat a calorie surplus or not to build muscle. For most workouts, I am lifting heavy and trying to push myself in weight each week. Right now I have a high body fat percentage. I have a heavy chest area and heavy love handle area giving me a hard pear-shaped look. I am confused as I am in my third month in the gym being consistent and why my pear-shaped has not gone away much (barely any). My goal is to gain muscle while getting rid of the pear shaped look. If anyone has any tips that would be life changing!
    Read the stickies and look around at reputable novice routines such as Fierce 5, Starting Strength, All Pros, Greyskulls LP etc. Pick one and follow it. Check Nutrition Forum stickies. Track calories and carbs/fat/protein daily, as well as bodyweight. (www.myfitnesspal.com is popular for this)You're 5'10" and 170lbs and rather weak, if having noticeable muscle is on the agenda, you need to build muscle, bulk.

Some starting points for performing the main lifts (click through related videos for other lifts from the same folks)

Hey so if you look in my photo I have a high body fat percentage. My goal is to put on muscle while decreasing my body fat percentage. So youre saying bulk would be the optimal way to go.If so how much of a surplus should I intake?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey so if you look in my photo I have a high body fat percentage. My goal is to put on muscle while decreasing my body fat percentage. So youre saying bulk would be the optimal way to go.If so how much of a surplus should I intake?
    5'10" and 170 lbs? I would bulk to build muscle first. Your choice, just realize that at a given time it's bulk to build muscle or cut to drop fat while trying to retain muscle.

ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would advice you to do a recomp but be very carful with it

Run a small deficit say lose 2 lbs a month , then when you stall and your lifts don't progress then try to eat at maintenance and ride it as long as you can , once you hit a wall and you can't progress any longer then you will begin to do slow bulk gaining 2 lbs a month maybe

you are still beginner and your body-fat is not low , you definitely can lose fat and build some muscle

It just will take some time to see a visible change , but as long as your lifts are progressing in gym you are on the right track

Pick a routine from the stickies , it doesn't matter which one , just stick to it for at least 6 months

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I am in my third month in the gym being consistent and why my pear-shaped has not gone away much (barely any). My goal is to gain muscle while getting rid of the pear shaped look. If anyone has any tips that would be life changing!
    Just remember it didn't take you 3 months to get to that shape, so don't expect to make a drastic change in that time. Stay consistent with your diet and lifting and changes will come slowly over time.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly.