griffinblack10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Swimmer Trying To Bulk Up

Hello,

I am a swimmer in high school. I am in the pool for two hours a day, and about half of the weekends I have a meet. Recently, I have started taking Serious Mass, about 1.5 scoops after practice. Will this be enough for some muscle build, or am I wasting my time and money?

(For reference, we don't really do any intensive weight training during practice, just repetitive exercises that tend to burn lots of calories)

I have also read that serious mass can cause acne, but I have never had an issue with acne.

Thanks!!
    Griffin

GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000) GA1N5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The main thing you'll need to get in order is your diet.

To build muscle, you should be in a caloric surplus and getting a good amount of protein (min. 0.7g per pound of body weight). It's better to improve your diet than to rely on supplements for it.

Secondly, you should be doing some weight lifting. I don't know how much muscle you can build from swimming alone (as you're not progressively challenging your body compared to lifting).

All weights were lifted gallagnm's Avatar
    gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Muscle building is a process of movement, nutrition, and consistency. Mass gainers are helpful in convenient sake for people who cannot take the time to eat a whole foods meal.

Look at shakes as taking the food you would eat and just putting it in a blender. Compare nutrition facts of the things your are putting into your body and learn how to better that process every day.

Supplements are not meant to provide a result, but to help you reach one. For example: if you work a job where youre always moving, making a shake instead of whole foods may be more beneficial to you. As a student, you have a set time for "lunch" so bettering that time frame with whole foods will be more beneficial to you.

... also if youre under 18, it is strongly advised (and stated on the tub) that you should NOT be consuming supplements...
    Personal Journal (ISSA-SSC, AFAA-CGFI, SPT)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175995851

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by griffinblack10 View Post
    Hello,

I am a swimmer in high school. I am in the pool for two hours a day, and about half of the weekends I have a meet. Recently, I have started taking Serious Mass, about 1.5 scoops after practice. Will this be enough for some muscle build, or am I wasting my time and money?

(For reference, we don't really do any intensive weight training during practice, just repetitive exercises that tend to burn lots of calories)

I have also read that serious mass can cause acne, but I have never had an issue with acne.

Thanks!!
    Griffin
    You aren't going to build msucle because you take a scoop (or three) of a supplement.

You need nutrition, routine, and rest to build muscle. What you describe for your swimming is not going to build any noticeable or substantial muscle mass, even with good nutrition and rest.

You need to do heavy resistance training (IE, lift weights) while eating at a calorie surplus (slowly gain weight) with adequate protein and rest in order to build muscle (slowly over time)

Go to the Workout Programs section.

Read the stickies and look around at reputable novice routines such as Fierce 5, Starting Strength, All Pros, Greyskulls LP etc. Pick one and follow it. Check Nutrition Forum stickies. Track calories and carbs/fat/protein daily, as well as bodyweight. (www.myfitnesspal.com is popular for this)

Some starting points for performing the main lifts (click through related videos for other lifts from the same folks)

griffinblack10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    You aren't going to build msucle because you take a scoop (or three) of a supplement.

You need nutrition, routine, and rest to build muscle. What you describe for your swimming is not going to build any noticeable or substantial muscle mass, even with good nutrition and rest.

You need to do heavy resistance training (IE, lift weights) while eating at a calorie surplus (slowly gain weight) with adequate protein and rest in order to build muscle (slowly over time)

Go to the Workout Programs[/url] section.

Read the stickies and look around at reputable novice routines such as Fierce 5[/url], Starting Strength[/url], ["]All Pros[/url], etc. Pick one and follow it. Check [Nutrition Forum[/url] stickies. Track calories and carbs/fat/protein daily, as well as bodyweight. ([is popular for this)

Some starting points for performing the main lifts (click through related videos for other lifts from the same folks)

thanks! do you think it'd be beneficial to combine that with the swim practices (probably around 3 a week), or do you think I should wait until after the season? also, do you think the local planet fitness would have the right equipment?

thanks,
    griffin

(ps sorry if the quote looks weird, I'm new to forums and such and I'm not sure how to use them)

All weights were lifted gallagnm's Avatar
    gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol ill be surprised if the PF has a squat rack, but ive also never been.. just hear all the stories

asking how many times a week you should workout is hard OP. That depends on your lifestyle, the type of training youre doing, your nutrition/recovery habits (like sleeping), school work... if you have time during the season, try it. Personally, I would focus on learning and executing the movements first
    Personal Journal (ISSA-SSC, AFAA-CGFI, SPT)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175995851