d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

What should I expect at 44?

I'm not new to physical activity. I've trained (weight lifted) on and off through the years but not seriously.
    The last 6 years have been a lot of calisthenic programs like P90X, P90X3 and a couple others. 5 days a week, pretty religiously.
    But we're talking just 30 minutes a day, high intensity. Sometimes running a few miles on top of it.
    The last few months I changed it up with 30 minute HIIT jump rope sessions every morning M-F.
    I have no problem grabbing the pull up bar and knocking out 15, but I'm small and really need to build some muscle mass.

So being that I'm used to the motions, elevated heart rate, etc... how do you think I'd respond to a program like Starting Strength or similar?
    I'm actually planning on following Mike Matthews (Bigger Leaner Stronger) program.
    I was planning on doing the 5 day split, thinking nothing of it. Just because I'm used to the habit and discipline of waking up at the same time every morning and getting my butt in the gym.
    Until I started hearing him, and Mark Rippetoe especially, talking about training over 40. Now I'm worried. lol
    I don't think of myself as old, at all. In my head I'm still in my twenties. Which could potentially lead to a problem! haha

Any advice? Should I just give it a go as planned and see what happens?
    I'd really like to stick with the 5 day thing if possible.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You can expect...great things!

As an example...I started lifting at 42 and made good progress. You are already in better shape than I was and starting about 10 pounds more of lean muscle.

A beginner strength program is a good choice as it will help you build some core strength and you will learn how to properly perform basic compound lifts.

After you've done this for a while you may choose to continue training for power and strength, focus on olympic lifts, or go more for hypertrophy and aesthetics (aka, bodybuilding).

Age does have some effects...but nothing to stop you from attempting (and succeeding) to be a much better you.

Ps: ? d2mini? The old rpg d20 joke combined with miniature gamer?...or not

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If we practice training with weights frequently on a well designed program we tend to get better at training quickly. The results of progressive resistance training are generally increased muscle strength and size.

Beyond that personal preference, consistency, and sustainability are probably the key points.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You have a great head start, the rest is up to you and I think you will do very well. Good Luck and Welcome aboard!
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For the most part, forget the age. When I started at 48 I was simply fat and out of shape. Today at 51 I train 6 days per week and have minimal issues. Given you are in much better shape than I was when I started you should progress well, just stay with a proven program.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've been training or over 30 yrs and haven't changed anything yet.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ok, great... thanks for all the reassurance!
    Proceeding as originally planned.

drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lift heavier weights. If you can do 15 proper form (dead hang to up) pull ups with body weight, then buy a belt and add weight so you can only do 5-8.

I have one very similar to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Dip-...th+strap&psc=1

I am 44 yrs old too.

Originally Posted by drkelly74 View Post
    Lift heavier weights. If you can do 15 proper form (dead hang to up) pull ups with body weight, then buy a belt and add weight so you can only do 5-8.

I have one very similar to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Dip-...th+strap&psc=1

I am 44 yrs old too.
    Yep, I'm getting ready to start a 5-6 rep program (the one mentioned in my OP). Already have the weight belt ordered, arriving today.
    Thanks!

Just wanted to post a bit of an update here.
    I'm on my 3rd week of the program (Bigger Leaner Stronger - 5 Day Split). First week was mainly figuring out my starting weights.
    One thing I've noticed is that so far any worry I had was unfounded.
    In fact, the only thing I'm struggling with is TIME! My workouts tend to take about 60-65 minutes and the only reason I'm not staying in the gym longer is because I'm out of time.
    I have to go take a shower and then get the kids fed and walk them to school, eat breakfast, and then get myself to work and I'm already getting up at 5:05am... get dressed, bathroom visit, then walk into the gym by 5:15-5:20.
    I have plenty of energy left.... like I could go another hour. I have some muscle fatigue but my body is not fatigued if that makes sense.
    Maybe I need to start getting up pre-5am. lol, damn that's a scary thought.

So yeah, feeling great, pumped to get in the gym every morning, seeing results already, and bummed when it has to end.

Will update if things change as I move along!
    -dennis
    my "GYM IN A SHED" build thread
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175140521

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    Maybe I need to start getting up pre-5am. lol, damn that's a scary thought.
    Over the years my wakeup call keeps getting earlier and earlier...mainly because I'm excited about working out and hop out of bed when I first wake up.

It used to be 4:30...then 4:00...now it's 3:30. I blend a banana in my pre-workout and drink that while I check out emails, this forum, and the days (horrible) news. By 4:00 I'm in the gym...of course it helps that the gym is downstairs

Guess I'm just a morning person.

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Over the years my wakeup call keeps getting earlier and earlier...mainly because I'm excited about working out and hop out of bed when I first wake up.

It used to be 4:30...then 4:00...now it's 3:30. I blend a banana in my pre-workout and drink that while I check out emails, this forum, and the days (horrible) news. By 4:00 I'm in the gym...of course it helps that the gym is downstairs

Guess I'm just a morning person.
    LOL, yeah... I love having the gym in the house. Cost me way more to build than years worth of gym membership but I know I'll use it a lot more.
    How much sleep do you get? I seem to make it through the day best on around 7 hours of sleep so I need to be making my way into the bedroom by around 10pm or so.

And just realized I never answered your question about my screen name... sorry, thought I did.
    Answer is no... not what you were thinking. Just a screen name that goes back to my mini cooper days.
    -dennis
    my "GYM IN A SHED" build thread
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175140521