Predderz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Biorhythm Diet

I just came across the "biorhythm diet" from reading an old edition of alan aragons research review, where alan interviews the creator of this diet Borge ***erli (edit: lol it censored his name). Alan starts off saying that he considers Borge to be "one of the industry's most innovative thinkers" and that "his bold ideas are inspired by scientific findings". This surprised me because if I read this diet anywhere else I would've thought it was a load of ****.

I searched online and found an article written by Borge where he details the reasoning and protocols: I can't post links but if you search "Reactive training systems the biorhythm diet" on google its the top one.
    The basic idea is to minimise carbs early in the day and consume most of them late in the day, and doing the opposite for fats (more early, less late). This is supposed to fit our circadian rhythms and be better for health and body composition.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Predderz View Post
    I just came across the "biorhythm diet" from reading an old edition of alan aragons research review, where alan interviews the creator of this diet Borge ***erli (edit: lol it censored his name). Alan starts off saying that he considers Borge to be "one of the industry's most innovative thinkers" and that "his bold ideas are inspired by scientific findings". This surprised me because if I read this diet anywhere else I would've thought it was a load of ****.

I searched online and found an article written by Borge where he details the reasoning and protocols: I can't post links but if you search "Reactive training systems the biorhythm diet" on google its the top one.
    The basic idea is to minimise carbs early in the day and consume most of them late in the day, and doing the opposite for fats (more early, less late). This is supposed to fit our circadian rhythms and be better for health and body composition.

The bolded, above.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I started to read it but stopped. Eating carbs at breakfast isn't a "western eating pattern" it is a worldwide eating pattern.

he cites interesting research which seems to agree with his ideas, and since alan aragon gives credence to this guy it makes me wonder whether it could actually have something to it. Although I hope it is BS because i like oatmeal in the morning

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

That right there seems like nonsense.

Energy balance and exercise habits dictate body composition, not the timing of nutrients.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) Oatmealman99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    he cites interesting research which seems to agree with his ideas, and since alan aragon gives credence to this guy it makes me wonder whether it could actually have something to it. Although I hope it is BS because i like oatmeal in the morning
    as do I. You should continue to eat oats if you enjoy them

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    His ideas are based on a mixture of science and wishful thinking.

Try it out and see what feels better for you. If you feel great on oats keep eating them.

What AARR are you quoting?
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    What AARR are you quoting?
    this was from the August 2012 edition

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I think part of the problem is that "biorhythms" automatically sound like pseudoscience nonsense.

Menno has critiqued this idea and has also written about the affect of circadian rhythms on feeding which is interesting - bear in mind there is little data on the subject and these are extrapolations. The idea is that there may be a very slight advantage to experienced athletes shifting carbs towards the end of the day. However, people with poor carb tolerance are actually the other way around - their insulin sensitivity is better in the mornings so that is a good time to consume carbs.

I guess the whole biorhythm diet thing is kind of like lean gains, where lots of studies are thrown around to make it sound like its the ideal protocol for losing fat, gaining muscle, optimising health etc. but in reality its probably sub optimal to normal protocols.

LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000) LarsoN97 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I guess the whole biorhythm diet thing is kind of like lean gains, where lots of studies are thrown around to make it sound like its the ideal protocol for losing fat, gaining muscle, optimising health etc. but in reality its probably sub optimal to normal protocols.
    But what is "normal" nowadays?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No it's not suboptimal. You can eat your carbs when you prefer and when it allows you to perform well and sleep well.

For some people that means eating low carb early in the day and higher carb later in the day. Some call it carb backloading, some call it biorhythm diet, some don't even give it a name.

If you find it interesting try it out. If not, keep doing what you're doing.

mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't stand the highs and lows of insulin spikes throughout the day so I typically eat a small amount of carbs after my workout and then save the rest for my last meal. But like most have said, it's all about what gives you optimal energy and such. I've found what works for me.
    Gym Lifts / Competition Lifts (Raw, kg)
    Bench: 152.5 / 120
    Squat: 182.5 / 175
    Deadlift: 235 / 225

Best WILKS In Competition: 355.26 - 83kg class

Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000) Onlyspoons is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is purely personal preference and I won't assume it should apply to anyone else, but personally I prefer to save the bulk of my carbs for the evening meal. Lots of carbs at breakfast makes me hungry again really quickly. Lots of carbs at lunch makes me tired and hungry. Whereas lots of carbs in the evening makes me feel comfy and relaxed and yet bizarrely more energetic than I would feel if I ate the same meal earlier in the day. If I'm going to eat carbs earlier in the day I prefer them to be sugary things like fruit or small bits of chocolate, which don't seem to slow me down as much as starchy stuff.

Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Avoiding carbs in the morning isn't something I've heard a lot of people recommend, but it definitely makes ME feel better when I avoid them early in the day. I tend to crash very easily when I have any carb rich meal in the morning. It's always been very weird to me because most people say it gives them energy.

I have noticed that if my carb intake for breakfast is higher than about 60grams I feel quite "foggy", but apart from that i dont seem to have many issues with carbs. But i think im gonna try shifting the majority of carbs to the evening just as an experiment, but im not gonna follow all the protocols of the biorhythm diet.

I have noticed that if my carb intake for breakfast is higher than about 60grams I feel quite "foggy".
    You might feel better with even lower carb intake at breakfast. Eat more fat and protein. Try it out.

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    meal patterning based on your circadian rhythm is a new area of research that is slowly taking off.. but I have yet to read anything that has great significance.
    You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.
    � Jerry West �
    How to Upgrade Your Life: A Primer On Diet And Fitness
    https://guavarilla.wordpress.com/fitness-guide/

mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mccyjcb has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Last night I went to a sushi buffet so little to say, I backloaded all the carbs LOL
    Gym Lifts / Competition Lifts (Raw, kg)
    Bench: 152.5 / 120
    Squat: 182.5 / 175
    Deadlift: 235 / 225

Best WILKS In Competition: 355.26 - 83kg class