LuCastl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just got started, need help showing where I'm wrong.

So I've been trying to do as much research as I possibly can to get started on my weight loss journey of losing 60lbs. I think I'm a little more informed than most starters, but I'm still not seeing results. Obviously I haven't been going on long enough, but from my understanding, anybody who is starting off has the "newbie gains" to looked forward to. I imagine there should be at least SOME loss in the first week and a half. I've been bouncing at 242 and 243 for a week and a half. If I'm making any rookie mistakes, I'd rather nip them in the bud before I waste a month's worth of time shooting myself in the foot with the same mistake.

Quick Bio:
    28 Years Old, 243lbs, 6ft, Moderate Activity (Sedentary Job, but I have been weight lifting a 5x5 Beginner Program 5 days a week).

TDEE: 2802
    Deficit for first week: 500 (2300 cals)
    Deficit starting this week: 800 (2000 cals, I tried lowering it in case I was maybe underestimating how much I was really eating)
    Macros: 186 Protein, 186 Carbs, 41 Fat

Calculator used: IIFYM TDEE Calculator (Website)

I have a google spreadsheet where I'm tracking most my meals as best I can. I suspect that my biggest problem right now, is that I'm going strictly off the nutritional labels or using sites like Fatsecret to find the nutritional value in things. I haven't gotten a scale yet, as I figured I would be fine just going by cup measurements. However, I feel this might be one of the issue biting at me.

The Macros are fairly easy for me to reach. Calories are somewhat easy to follow. The hardest part has been accepting the concept of "cheat meal". It's more like "guilt meal". Seeing the numbers for this is awful, lol.

I don't feel hungry doing this type of diet. Which kind of makes me feel I may be eating too many calories? Even though on paper it should theoretically be correct.

Below is an average day:

Breakfast: Smoothie (1 Cup 2% Milk, 1 Cup Greek Yogurt, 8 Ice Cubes, 1 Banana, 1/2 Cup Blueberries, 2 Scoops EAS Whey Protein)

Lunch: 7oz 99% Lean Ground Turkey, 1 Cup Green Beans, 1 Cup Rice

Dinner: 7oz 96% Lean Ground Beef, 2 Cups Spinach, 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, 1 Cup Rice, 1/4 Cup Homemade Guac

Snack: Chocolate Milk ( Glass 2% Milk, Sugar Free Hershey's Choco syrup ) Depending on my protein so far, I may or may not put a scoop of EAS Whey Protein for that day.

As for workouts, I do them 2 days on, one day off. Upper Body, Lower Body, Off.

Upper Body: Overhead Press, Barbell Curl, Bent over Barbell Row
    Lower Body: Squat, Deadlift, Lunges
    I try to throw in some push ups and sit ups occasionally.

Am I just not working hard enough? Eating wrong?

Sorry for the long winded post, btw. Just figured I'd try to be thorough upfront, rather than doing a lot of back and forth to small questions.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LuCastl View Post
    Sorry for the long winded post, btw. Just figured I'd try to be thorough upfront, rather than doing a lot of back and forth to small questions.
    I'll link you to a post I just made, that basically sums up everything I think would greatly assist you.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=172159753

If you start off too extreme, you'll burn out and keep failing. Don't worry about macros, or calories for awhile, just look what I posted and take this journey one step at a time. I can't believe starting at 240lbs thinking I HAVE to eat this, or HAVE to do that. I started with just focusing on no soda, little junk food and lots of protein, I went to the gym and did 3 full body days a week, hurt myself a lot and gave up a lot, but kept going, because I wasn't following any set scheme, or restrictions. This is a life style, not a quick fix. If you want to lose 60lbs or more, you will, but you need to do it in a way that makes you want to do it. I see you asking about specific macros, and training, and meals to eat. You will hate that after a month or two and quit. One thing at a time, think positive and slowly change, very slowly, not all at once.

See the thing is I'm a very motivated person who doesn't get the burn out. I'm very honest. The only reason I gained weight is because I worked two years on the oilfield doing 18 hour shifts on a horrible diet lol.

I don't drink soda, and I don't drink alcohol. I'm guilty of eating fast food due to being on the road a lot. So as long as I can pack my meals, I'm good.

My problem is I'm not sure if I'm packing them right.

I have since quit that job, and am trying to create a sensible diet. Following macros and calories seemed to make more sense than just going on a crash diet.

I'll check out your thread though. Thank you. Any help is good.

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll check out your thread though. Thank you. Any help is good.
    As I said, eat a filling meal before you head out of the house, to avoid temptation, this also includes fast food, but also you can have fast food, just in moderation. Some times I go to mc donalds and spend 30$+ and still hungry, that is why I do it very rarely, the food is not filling, just very tasty.

Just read the post. I can relate to some of it. I'll have to follow your advice on the scale.

I'm a very methodical person, and I hate not having control of what's happening. I like to essentially break down things in to data and manipulate them. So it is very disheartening when the results don't match.

I'll just have to do this a month at a time I guess. I just felt it was alarming when I went through a week and a half and saw nothing change much weight wise.

I do feel better, and I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after a work out. I can visually see that I've lost some bloat.

I guess the answer to my problem is, "It's too soon, just keep doing what you're doing and report back in a month. Don't go off the scale for a while." Lol

Oh and I work from home now. So now I can avoid the temptations on the road. So I can control what my intake is as long as I know what to eat, and I avoid buying junk food which I've already done.

I think the only junk food I have is homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, which I sometimes eat at night as my "reward" as long as it doesn't exceed my carb and fat macros.

Just read the post. I can relate to some of it. I'll have to follow your advice on the scale.

I'm a very methodical person, and I hate not having control of what's happening. I like to essentially break down things in to data and manipulate them. So it is very disheartening when the results don't match.

I'll just have to do this a month at a time I guess. I just felt it was alarming when I went through a week and a half and saw nothing change much weight wise.

I do feel better, and I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after a work out. I can visually see that I've lost some bloat.

I guess the answer to my problem is, "It's too soon, just keep doing what you're doing and report back in a month. Don't go off the scale for a while." Lol
    In that case you could take a weekly average to stay on track. It works, but day after day you'd argue as the weight goes up and down, but at the end of the 7 days you will get a very accurate number. Weigh yourself every morning at the same time, during the same conditions (after bathroom, naked, ect) calculate every 7 days, and do this for 21 days, between day 1 and day 21, if you haven't lost 1lb on average, then you need to adjust something. 1lb sounds like nothing, but you have to remember your body is changing in many ways, water weight, could be adding lbm, ect. Taking pictures, relaxed once a month will shock you, how much you change, of course you won't notice this if you look in the mirror every day, but when you see the power of a picture, you will be even more motivated and more likely to increase your commitment to change.

My favorite foods, to give you an idea of what you can eat are, brown bread, white rice/jasmine, potato/sweet potato, cottage cheese/any cheese, steak/pork/turkey/ham/fish/eggs, noodles, one banana a day lol, lots of spinach as I don't really enjoy veggies, I take a multi vitamin, and drink loads of water. The point is, you can eat whatever the hell you want, just be sensible in how much you eat, and don't reward yourself too often.

a normal chocolate bar is around 250-350kcal, well 200g of chicken is basically 350kcal, now the chocolate bar won't satisfy you. This is the really sad thing about junk food, it is incredibly calorie dense, but incredibly lacking in nutrition.

We become overweight over a long period of time from constantly "snacking" and eating or drinking things that we severely underestimate the amount of calories in them because of how small they are or how they make us feel.

The first time my girlfriend made me a meal counting macros, I almost flipped, 300g of chicken, 200g of spinach and 100g of potatoes, I was sure this was 1,000+ kcal, turned out it was less than 500. I was dumbfounded, but I was happy to know how much food you can eat with such a low amount of calories.
    Last edited by Junsuiakai; 08-10-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Note taken. Will begin photo diary, and start working off averages instead. Makes sense.

That's one thing I really need to work on. Water intake.

One day i can do 2 liters, the next I'm just feeling repulsed by water and can't down more than a liter.

So it could very well be water weight throwing me off.

Note taken. Will begin photo diary, and start working off averages instead. Makes sense.

That's one thing I really need to work on. Water intake.

One day i can do 2 liters, the next I'm just feeling repulsed by water and can't down more than a liter.

So it could very well be water weight throwing me off.
    Drink a few teas or coffees then, no sugar or milk added.
    or add fresh berries, or lemon to your water jug, something to give it some flavor.

Lol @ your girlfriends meal story. I felt the same way this passed week. I love burritos man. They're the best. So I figured a homemade burrito bowl would be my best option.

I do 8oz lean ground beef, cherry tomatoes, spinach, Mex rice(white rice), onions and bell peppers, with as bit of guac. It ends up being around 600 calories with all sorts of good macros.

Then... We decided to go to five guys as our cheat meal.... Omg. The fries alone were 900 calories and almost twice the fat.... That wasn't even counting the burger at all.

My stomach sank when I took a look at the numbers. Horrifying.

skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Congrats brother youre doing something awesome. Im a newb also and we have the same program except Im on bench presses instead of lunges. The ea whey has helped me hit my macros, I throw it in the blender with a banana, almond milk, sometimes 2 tbsp peanut butter and a lil instant coffee for caffeine to help with cutting out the soda and sweet drinks.

Wish I had more tips to help, I just started my macros and Im realizing I havent gotten enough full calories for years eating fast food and junk. I did a ton of cardio everyday but never lost my beer belly because my body was in starvation mode holding on to it for dear life lol.

Its not easy for me to eat 3300 clean calories but man I already know its worth it so I try. One thing I can offer is if you are gonna stick to macros as a beginner keep your ratios realistic, for instance Im running 50 c 30 f 20 p..might look bad to someone advanced but I know that way Im not over committing myself and gives me room to breathe long as I get everything healthy out of the way in the early day I can have the big dinner my girlfriend makes [- the garlic bread] or one fast food meal once in a while [minus the soda and fries]. As long as you make sensible choices everything youre doing should benefit your goals.

Best of luck brother!

Originally Posted by skatechop View Post
    Congrats brother youre doing something awesome. Im a newb also and we have the same program except Im on bench presses instead of lunges. The ea whey has helped me hit my macros, I throw it in the blender with a banana, almond milk, sometimes 2 tbsp peanut butter and a lil instant coffee for caffeine to help with cutting out the soda and sweet drinks.

Wish I had more tips to help, I just started my macros and Im realizing I havent gotten enough full calories for years eating fast food and junk. I did a ton of cardio everyday but never lost my beer belly because my body was in starvation mode holding on to it for dear life lol.

Its not easy for me to eat 3300 clean calories but man I already know its worth it so I try. One thing I can offer is if you are gonna stick to macros as a beginner keep your ratios realistic, for instance Im running 50 c 30 f 20 p..might look bad to someone advanced but I know that way Im not over committing myself and gives me room to breathe long as I get everything healthy out of the way in the early day I can have the big dinner my girlfriend makes [- the garlic bread] or one fast food meal once in a while [minus the soda and fries]. As long as you make sensible choices everything youre doing should benefit your goals.

Best of luck brother!
    Are you joking? 50c 30f 20 p, how are you alive??? that is less than 1,000 calories if I can count. Starving yourself isn't going to get you to lose weight and keep it off. Oh are you talking about percentages? lol

1g of protein per 1lb of LBM and 0.4g of fat per 1lb of body weight, the rest goes to carbs or whatever you want, ratios and percentages are counter productive.
    Also I'm confused are you trying to lose weight at 3,300 calories?

If I should be eating about 2300 Calories (500 calorie deficit), how badly will it hurt if I'm mostly pulling 1800 and 1900 calorie days? Like... I'm not THAT hungry. I can meet the macros, but not the calories. I'm always short of what it says I should be at for calories.

Is creating a deficit that's too large gonna come back and bite me in the ass?

These are all end of day calorie totals for the last few days that I started counting:

2294 - Had an extra smoothie w/ cookies
    1970 - Started loading smoothies with more protein and fruits to make them heavier in nutrients
    3181 - Cheat meal was in here

Should I be trying harder to reach that 2300 mark? Or will I still be in line if I keep going the way I'm going. I'm honestly comfortable where I'm at. I'm not suffering from cravings or anything. At most I'll succumb and eat a few cookies, but not a crazy amount.

I'm thinking I might have to introduce another smoothie to get me that boost in calories, and I'll just have to divide the protein differently on my morning smoothie so that I'm not really far over.

How important is it to stay near that 500 calorie deficit?

skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10) skatechop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    Are you joking? 50c 30f 20 p, how are you alive??? that is less than 1,000 calories if I can count. Starving yourself isn't going to get you to lose weight and keep it off. Oh are you talking about percentages? lol

1g of protein per 1lb of LBM and 0.4g of fat per 1lb of body weight, the rest goes to carbs or whatever you want, ratios and percentages are counter productive.
    Also I'm confused are you trying to lose weight at 3,300 calories?
    sorry i wasnt clear bro, those are my percentages with a 500 cal surplus. ill take any help i can get though if you think those percentages are a bad idea.

If I should be eating about 2300 Calories (500 calorie deficit), how badly will it hurt if I'm mostly pulling 1800 and 1900 calorie days? Like... I'm not THAT hungry. I can meet the macros, but not the calories. I'm always short of what it says I should be at for calories.

Is creating a deficit that's too large gonna come back and bite me in the ass?

These are all end of day calorie totals for the last few days that I started counting:

2294 - Had an extra smoothie w/ cookies
    1970 - Started loading smoothies with more protein and fruits to make them heavier in nutrients
    3181 - Cheat meal was in here

Should I be trying harder to reach that 2300 mark? Or will I still be in line if I keep going the way I'm going. I'm honestly comfortable where I'm at. I'm not suffering from cravings or anything. At most I'll succumb and eat a few cookies, but not a crazy amount.

I'm thinking I might have to introduce another smoothie to get me that boost in calories, and I'll just have to divide the protein differently on my morning smoothie so that I'm not really far over.

How important is it to stay near that 500 calorie deficit?
    You can handle a 1,000 caloric deficit without much muscle loss, if you eat enough protein, enough fat, (as mentioned earlier) and lift weights. I run a 1,000 caloric deficit, and gain strength. So, if you can handle less calories, then go for it, but I'd limit to 1,000 caloric deficit nothing more.

Originally Posted by skatechop View Post
    sorry i wasnt clear bro, those are my percentages with a 500 cal surplus. ill take any help i can get though if you think those percentages are a bad idea.
    500 caloric surplus is way too much, you will pack on fat quickly, you can't gain muscle faster than fat, I'd shoot for 100-200 caloric surplus if you want to be in a surplus. Unplugged said it best, just adjust based on how you feel, don't over or under do it.

Question on work out method. What's more important, finishing the sets/reps? Or Lifting Heavy?

Goal: Fat Loss, eventually, would like more muscle

Example of my situation: I've been doing a 5x5, steadily increasing weight. It's now at a weight that is becoming challenging to complete the full sets.

Bentover Barbell Row @ 150 I can do 3 of the sets, then I start feeling gassed and can't complete the rest with proper form.

Should I:

A. Increase weight and keep pushing, and revisit 150 later? Only do them until my form remains intact.

B. Go back in weight and complete the full set a few times, and revisit 150 once 140 feels easy.

C. Continue doing 150 until the full set can be completed?

Question on work out method. What's more important, finishing the sets/reps? Or Lifting Heavy?

Goal: Fat Loss, eventually, would like more muscle

Example of my situation: I've been doing a 5x5, steadily increasing weight. It's now at a weight that is becoming challenging to complete the full sets.

Bentover Barbell Row @ 150 I can do 3 of the sets, then I start feeling gassed and can't complete the rest with proper form.

Should I:

A. Increase weight and keep pushing, and revisit 150 later? Only do them until my form remains intact.

B. Go back in weight and complete the full set a few times, and revisit 150 once 140 feels easy.

C. Continue doing 150 until the full set can be completed?
    I'm testing complete doing till can complete all sets, with chin-ups and 55lbs, 3x8, when I can finish all 3 sets, I increase weight by 2lbs.
    What I've done before is, keep pushing weight, but focus on form, or change grip, supinated, pronated, neutral ect, replace it with a different exercise for awhile. You can basically do anything, as long as you are progressively overloading over time. Pushing yourself a little bit more each time.

For instance, tomorrow my goal is 9 reps of 286lbs for deadlift, only 1 set because I'm cutting and my tank empties quite fast, last time I did 12 reps for 250lbs,
    Try not to over think it too much, just enjoy yourself and try lots of different things. If I'm going to be honest, I've never followed any other program other than my own, for more than a few weeks, it gets to feeling like you are following somebody else and not yourself. Sure I can't deadlift 500lbs, or squat 500lbs or bench 315lbs, but I enjoy what I'm doing and one day I'll hit those numbers, but I'm not in a rush.

If you want a simple A, B, or C, I'd go with A.