Thread: Leesa's Journal

Leesamoore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leesa's Journal

Good Morning everyone,

I'm fairly new to this whole keto thing. I have been lurking on here for awhile now trying to decide the best way to lose weight and tone up. There are so many ideas and information, but I feel that following a low carb diet would be in my body's best interest right now. I've been keeping a journal in a notebook, but I would like to start keeping one online so others can help me critique it and give me some moral support. Looks like a lot of you have been doing this for awhile now and your before and after pictures inspire me. I will get around to taking some photos of myself soon so I can keep a visual of my body changing.

A little about me:

My name is Leesa
    I am 46 years old
    My weight now is 173.
    I would like to be 150 by the New Year
    I am married, have 3 children, 2 grandchildren
    I have a housekeeping business by day and childcare by evening
    I am also pursuing surrogate motherhood which is another reason to lose 20 lbs.
    I love reading, cooking, and socializing with friends
    I'm an Illinois country girl so lots of comfort food temptations around me

Today is Saturday 10/12/13
    It's not an easy day for me to start my new keto diet, but I've got to start somewhere.
    Today is a fish fry at the inlaws for their birthday. They were both born on the same day.
    Anyway, that means cake and lots of food. I will challenge myself to resist the temptation.
    Let you know how that goes. Later, there is a harvest party at my church. More temptation with lots of homestyle cooking and desserts.
    I think that if I can survive today then next week will be a breeze.

I will track my food intake and if anyone out there is following along maybe you can let me know if I'm making the right choices or not.

Everyone have a great Saturday and I will be back later to check in and record my diet and exercise

Ok so I think I did okay on breakfast
    1 jalapeno cheese smoked sausage link
    2 eggs with cheddar and hot sauce

Then went to the fish fry. The only thing there that may not have had a lot of carbs was the cole slaw. I was doomed. Not even a veggie tray. Only a fruit tray. So I got small spoons of each item and tried to just eat light. I will definitely have to have a do over tomorrow.

Here's all the little spoon samples I had
    cheese ball (this may have been ok)
    2 round crackers
    cole slaw
    baked beans
    corn
    one bite of each fruit (grape, pineapple, strawberry and melon)
    2 fish chunks
    a small piece of cake

So I did keep food consumption to a minimum. While everyone else was going for seconds and thirds. Now its time to head to the church festival. I decided to wait until 5 because they are serving food at 4 and I don't want that temptation a second time today. Again we'll see how it goes. This low carb thing is going to take some planning ahead just to keep from straying. I never realized how many carbs are consumed at family get together's until now. It's amazing!

I did much better at the festival

shredded pork with bbq sauce
    hot dog without a bun
    fried cabbage
    pickle

Hoping to learn more and get better at this each day
    Last edited by Leesamoore; 10-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Today was a much better day than yesterday. Stepping on the scale revealed the damage done when it showed me weighing 173.6.
    No fret though. I'm a work in progress and today started out on a better note.

M1 2 eggs fried in butter
    shaved ham
    2 slices of American cheese
    coffee with one pkt slenda and some heavy cream
    M2 chili made with ground turkey, chili style tomatoes, onion and 5 alarm seasoning, shredded cheddar on top
    M3 low carb tortilla wrap with peanut butter and real blueberry preserves (only 1 T)
    M4 chili again, yummy
    M5 pumpkin seeds

I haven't taken my vitamins all weekend or exercised, but that to will change tomorrow. I always try to exercise in some way every day all through the week and relax on the weekends. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing for my weight loss goals though. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have a home gym which includes elliptical, bike, treadmill and stepmill. I also have a multi purpose weight bench. I can do chest presses, lat pulldowns and leg raises and curls. I have a Theraball, medicine ball, hand weights and stretch bands. Plus about 50 exercise dvd's I take advantage of. I am also not sure if I should be counting carbs or not. Some things are hard to calculate. Like my chili for instance. I couldn't tell you what the exact carb count is because of the variety of ingredients used. Right now I'm just trying to stay away from the things I know are overloaded with carbs like sweets, pasta, rice and bread.
    Last edited by Leesamoore; 10-13-2013 at 05:39 PM.

10/14/13

Weight today 172

Yay! I lost a pound since yesterday. The day has started out kinda crazy though. First of all, I put off going to the bank until today, but forgot they would be closed for the holiday. I woke up with puffy eyes because of my allergies so I thought I would try this new idea I saw on Pinterest of putting lemon slices over closed eyes for 10 minutes. All I can say is don't ever try this. After about one minute the acid from the juice started burning my cheeks and eyelids. I had to walk with my eyes closed tightly into the kitchen to get some cold water on my face to wash it off. Still after drying with a towel as soon as I opened my eyes they started burning. It's been several hours and my eyelids are still burning a little. Then I decided to scrub the kitchen really well, using bleach on the countertops and stuff like that. I wasn't thinking about my new green sweatshirt until after I had already leaned over my bleachy countertop and left huge white stripes across the front. Then later when I went to flush the toilet it started overflowing because evidently when the plumber came a couple weeks ago to clear tree roots from the septic pipes he must have missed some because even the plunger isn't working this time. At least we have 2 bathrooms, but the other is on the second floor. Hopefully, there are no more mishaps for today.

M1 2 eggs scrambled and topped with colby cheese slice
    1 jalapeno and cheese smoked sausage link

M2 sliced tomato with salt and pepper
    2 slices each of salami, turkey, colby cheese and mustard

M3 boneless pork chop
    1/2 cup fresh green beans
    medium sweet potato with a pat of butter
    vitamins

M4 1 cup of white grapes

Totals

Calories 1422
    Carbs 44
    Fat 86
    Protein 77

Thanks so much for the advice. I went to myfitnesspal and started tracking my food there. That way I can just transfer the numbers to my journal here. Thanks bunches to both of you for breaking everything down for me. Now its time for me to get some exercise in for today

Exercise: 5:30-6:00 brisk walk
    Tomorrow I am going to start adding in some light jogging and some weight training
    Last edited by Leesamoore; 10-14-2013 at 04:12 PM.

sleep- work- lift- bacon resilience5241's Avatar
    resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Leesamoore View Post
    trying to decide the best way to lose weight and tone up. Today is Saturday 10/12/13
    It's not an easy day for me to start my new keto diet, but I've got to start somewhere.
    Have you calculated your macronutrients? Regardless of what kind of diet you follow, you won't lose weight unless you're eating in a caloric deficit. If you're unsure, I can link you to some reliable formulas that will help you figure it out. Also, best way to 'tone-up' is by strength training. Losing weight will not necessarily cause you to look lean. If you google 'skinny-fat' it will show you examples and explanations of what I mean.

I will track my food intake and if anyone out there is following along maybe you can let me know if I'm making the right choices or not.
    While telling us the foods you're eating is a good start (holding yourself accountable for the things you're eating) what will be much more important is the macronutrient make-up of those items. How many grams of fat, protein and carbs you're eating mean more to us than saying "a couple pieces of chicken with some bbq sauce", just as an example.

M2 chili made with ground turkey, chili style tomatoes, onion and 5 alarm seasoning, shredded cheddar on top
    If you're going to commit to Keto, use full-fat burger meat instead of the ground turkey. Keto is a high fat diet, so you'll have to lose the negative connotation of high-fat foods. Tomatoes are generally a no-no on Keto, especially in your first couple of days.

M3 low carb tortilla wrap with peanut butter and real blueberry preserves (only 1 T)
    I'd leave the "low-carb" marketed foods alone until you're fully adapted (about 4 weeks). Once you've begun to understand the effects of Ketosis, you'll be able to test the limits of what you can/can't eat without being kicked out.

I am also not sure if I should be counting carbs or not. Some things are hard to calculate. Like my chili for instance. I couldn't tell you what the exact carb count is because of the variety of ingredients used. Right now I'm just trying to stay away from the things I know are overloaded with carbs like sweets, pasta, rice and bread.
    You should absolutely be counting carbs. Also, an important piece of information that people often miss is that you can subtract dietary fiber from your overall carb count. Dietary fiber is not absorbed and therefore should not be included. Say for example you eat something with 8g of carbs and 3g of dietary fiber, this would leave you with 5 "net carbs" that should be counted towards your daily total. Try using www.myfitnesspal.com, it has a list of just about any food on the planet and will help you stay on track with your carb counts (especially with homemade food).

Good luck with all of your goals! There are many helpful people here that would be glad to encourage you and help you along the way.
    If it is important to you, you will find a way.
    If it's not, you will find an excuse.

STRONGMAN TRAINING/KETO LOG:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158537933

IG: willflex4cookies

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ditto to everything resil said, and here are some rough calculations below for your bare minimums...

BMR = 1407
    x1.2 = 1688 (assumes sedentary activity level outside workouts)
    +Workout = 1988 (assumes 60 minute weight lifting workout at moderate intensity)
    -10% = 1789

Fat = Remaining calories
    Carbs = 0-50g (consume enough within this range to reach fiber requirements)
    Fiber = 25g
    Protein = 141g

Consume the above for at least two weeks, then adjust caloric intake (up or down) until 1-1.5lbs are lost per week.

10/15/13

Today's weight 170.8

I'm going to do some grocery shopping today and stock up on some low carb foods. I'm planning on trying out some new recipes this week too.
    So far for today:

M1 2 eggs scrambled
    3 sausage links
    1 slice provolone cheese

M2 whole wheat bagel
    whipped cream cheese

Lunch was not planned well. I was running behind and hurrying out the door to go to my afternoon job. Will have to plan better tomorrow.

M3 A recipe called Korean Taco's
    Ribeye steak sliced and marinated in Korean seasonings then cooked up
    2 corn tortilla's (these I should have omitted) to many carbs
    toppings (green onion, sour cream, shredded cheese and avocado)

M4 2 cinnamon graham cracker squares

Today's totals:

calories 1514
    carbs 107
    fat 83
    protein 86
    Last edited by Leesamoore; 10-15-2013 at 05:20 PM.

10/16/13

Today's weight 171

M1 2 eggs scrambled with Sriracha sauce over the top
    mushrooms
    4 pieces of bacon

M2 2 chicken breast tenderloins baked in teriyaki sauce
    low carb tortilla
    1/2 avocado
    1/2 small cucumber
    1 slice provolone
    small sliced tomato
    shredded romaine
    2 pickle spears
    1/8 cup jalapenos

I also decided to juice some fruits and veggies and share a glass with my husband. I juiced a combination of 1 apple, 1 pear, 3 clementines, 4 carrots, 2 celery stalks, a small cucumber and 1/2 T of wheatgrass powder. We split this and I am not sure what the carb counts are but it was very nutritious.

M4 banana
    2 T PB

M5 Boneless skinless chicken breast
    sweet potato
    1/2 c baked beans

Totals:

cals 1649
    carbs 121
    fat 80
    protein 113

I had to work this afternoon so I told my husband there was some chicken marinating in Italian dressing and he could bake that and throw together some sides. Well, I'm still trying to make him understand I'm trying to cut the carbs. I had already fudged some when I had a banana smeared with peanut butter on the way out the door and then I came home to 2 carby side dishes. Thanks, Resilience, I will go ahead and omit the juicing for awhile. For months I was following what is called a fertility diet in order to prepare my body for becoming a surrogate. The diet included a lot of fruit smoothies and homemade juices but then I noticed since starting it in March that I put on 15 pounds. In the meantime I did more research into ovulation and how sugar affects it and found that the ovaries don't function well on a high sugar diet. Thus began the journey to try to find some balance. Lose weight but somehow eat healthy for the reproductive system and low sugar at the same time. I never realized how many things I was eating that is now considered off limits due to high carb counts. Like sweet potatoes for instance. I was suppose to eat those daily on the fertility diet, but now I need to limit or even omit them. I will see what I can do tomorrow to get those carbs down and see how I start feeling.
    Last edited by Leesamoore; 10-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.

sleep- work- lift- bacon resilience5241's Avatar
    resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) resilience5241 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    10/16/13

I also decided to juice some fruits and veggies and share a glass with my husband. I juiced a combination of 1 apple, 1 pear, 3 clementines, 4 carrots, 2 celery stalks, a small cucumber and 1/2 T of wheatgrass powder. We split this and I am not sure what the carb counts are but it was very nutritious.
    Likely too many to be considered Keto.
    If it is important to you, you will find a way.
    If it's not, you will find an excuse.

STRONGMAN TRAINING/KETO LOG:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158537933

IG: willflex4cookies

10/17/13

Today's weight 171.2

Think today is going really well so far. I have the day off so I get to be responsible for dinner tonight which will be chicken fajitas. I am currently trying a new recipe for cinnamon sugar almonds in the crockpot. I replaced sugar with Splenda in the recipe. When I have a sweet tooth those will be my go to snack.

M1 2 eggs scrambled
    2 Canadian bacon slices
    2 White cheddar cheese slices
    I piled everything on top of each other and drizzled with sriracha sauce
    Also a cup of Raspberry Leaf tea with a dash of cream and pkt of Stevia

M2 1 cup of leftover shredded beef roast
    1 cup of sauteed mushrooms seasoned with cajun seasoning and cooked in 1 T butter
    I mixed all this together and topped with 1 T Country Bob's sauce
    1/2 bag of frozen cauliflower, steamed, then pureed with 1 T butter, 2 T cream and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. salt & pepper
    large ice water

M3 Carb Balance low carb tortilla
    1 chicken tender
    1/2 sauteed bell pepper and onion
    1/4 cup tomatoes with green chilis
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar
    1 T sour cream
    Large ice water

M4 1/4 cup cinnamon almonds

Totals:

cal 1232
    carbs 49
    fat 72
    protein 82

Exercise

I did this circuit twice

50 jumping jacks
    20 sit ups
    5 push ups
    20 mountain climbers
    20 sec plank
    7 burpees

Also an after dinner stroll with the dog. About a 1/2 mile. A little off and on jogging.
    I'm feeling like I did well today. Especially compared to the last few days. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Leesamoore; 10-17-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Forever Musclebound aaaaaaaaaachooo's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Looking good in here! Keep it up, and just be consistent!
    Remember : Water is your best friend.
    505 / 315 / 545

mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mberdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd suggest against things like bagels, bananas, terryaki sauce (unless specifiably low carb) especially when starting out with Keto. if you notice your having trouble getting into/staying in ketosis, this is first to go IMO.

10/18/13

Today's weight 170.4

Thank you so much for the tips. I am beginning to read the carb counts on everything going into my mouth. I ate low carb today, but at dinner I felt like having one serving of tator tots with the burgers I fixed. One serving had 20 carbs. I'm trying to stay around 1400 calories. Yesterday I said under, but today I went well over that goal. I'm sure it was all the high fat stuff I ate today. Although I only ate 3 meals and zero snacks each meal kept my full due to all the fat.

M1 2 eggs scrambled in butter
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar
    4 pork sausage links
    Large ice water

M2 2 jalapeno cheddar smoked sausage links
    1 cup cauliflower mash

M3 1/4 pound burger
    1 slice swiss
    1 slice american
    sauteed onions
    9 Tator tots

Totals:
    Cal 1696
    carbs 52
    fat 121
    protein 71

I'll be back to journaling tomorrow. I took the weekend off to spend some time with the husband, kids and grandbabies. Hope everyone has had a great weekend!

10/21/13

M1 2 eggs scrambled
    1 slice American cheese
    1/2 grapefruit with packet of truvia

M2 Baked Buffalo Shrimp 5 pieces
    1/4 cup cauliflower mash
    1/2 grapefruit with packet of truvia
    salad= 1 cup romaine, 1 T sunflower seeds, 1 T sundried tomatoes, 1 T green olives, 1 T feta, 1/2 small cucumber, 1 T ranch

M3 Baked Buffalo Shrimp 15 pieces
    1 cup cauliflower mash

Totals

cal 1349
    carb 78
    fat 90
    protein 49