Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

5th week Oly lifting... Critique my form, please

As title says. I know it's not a lot of weight, but I just started doing these kinds of lifts and don't wanna hurt my self lol
    ☯ Misc Muay Thai Crew ☯
    []=[] Actually Lifts Crew []=[]

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Okay, things I see: get your hips down at the start and flatten/arch your back. Keep the bar close and stand all the way up, and do it FAST!!! You're not finishing extending all the way up. Get your elbows around and up more, which means you need to get the bar ON TOP of your shoulders. Get that bar back against your neck. When you finish the clean, pause for a second, then dip and drive the bar overhead. What you're doing is not legal in competition with no pause between the clean and jerk. Plus, you're pressing the bar up while stepping forward. You should be using your hips and legs to PUNCH the bar up to locked out arms!!

If you have not already done it, you should check out the teaching progressions on Cal Strength's site. There's also some teaching stuff in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Outside of that, have you considered going to a coach?? Where do you live?
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Badzooka is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by olyw8lifter View Post
    Okay, things I see: get your hips down at the start and flatten/arch your back. Keep the bar close and stand all the way up, and do it FAST!!! You're not finishing extending all the way up. Get your elbows around and up more, which means you need to get the bar ON TOP of your shoulders. Get that bar back against your neck. When you finish the clean, pause for a second, then dip and drive the bar overhead. What you're doing is not legal in competition with no pause between the clean and jerk. Plus, you're pressing the bar up while stepping forward. You should be using your hips and legs to PUNCH the bar up to locked out arms!!

If you have not already done it, you should check out the teaching progressions on Cal Strength's site. There's also some teaching stuff in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Outside of that, have you considered going to a coach?? Where do you live?
    Yeah, my strongman friend is gonna help out. I'm not doing oly lifts to compete. I'm doing them to get stronger for my Muay Thai/Kickboxing fights. If you can send me a link to how I should do them, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks for your post, man.
    ☯ Misc Muay Thai Crew ☯

jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Badzooka View Post
    Yeah, my strongman friend is gonna help out. I'm not doing oly lifts to compete. I'm doing them to get stronger for my Muay Thai/Kickboxing fights. If you can send me a link to how I should do them, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks for your post, man.
    You should keep in mind that a strongman clean and press is a totally different animal to an Olympic clean and press/clean and Jerk. In strongman, the bar/log/axle is rested on the knees and then flipped up the torso, keeping in contact with the torso throughout. This is not permitted in Olympic lifting (and would not be possible with the kind of weight that Oly lifters clean anyway). Although this movement is significantly less technical than an Olympic clean, it is a lot more difficult to do in terms of weight used. In an Olympic full clean, the bar is pulled to full extension before the lifter agressively pulls their body under the bar to catch it in a front squat position. The lifter really needs to explode in the second pull, generating as much power as possible, and very quickly get underneath the bar. The Olympic clean is a test of power production, especially the ability to really explode with the hips (pure leg strength too, since you aren't going to stand up with a weight you can't front squat), and is highly technical, the strongman clean is more a test of pure full body strength, and is not as technical.

Strongman clean and press:

Olympic clean (and jerk).

Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post
    You should keep in mind that a strongman clean and press is a totally different animal to an Olympic clean and press/clean and Jerk. In strongman, the bar/log/axle is rested on the knees and then flipped up the torso, keeping in contact with the torso throughout. This is not permitted in Olympic lifting (and would not be possible with the kind of weight that Oly lifters clean anyway). Although this movement is significantly less technical than an Olympic clean, it is a lot more difficult to do in terms of weight used. In an Olympic full clean, the bar is pulled to full extension before the lifter agressively pulls their body under the bar to catch it in a front squat position. The lifter really needs to explode in the second pull, generating as much power as possible, and very quickly get underneath the bar. The Olympic clean is a test of power production, especially the ability to really explode with the hips (pure leg strength too, since you aren't going to stand up with a weight you can't front squat), and is highly technical, the strongman clean is more a test of pure full body strength, and is not as technical.

Strongman clean and press:

Olympic clean (and jerk).

Might then just stick with log clean and press since idk any coaches
    ☯ Misc Muay Thai Crew ☯

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have you looked for a coach or talked to one?? You don't have know them.

As I mentioned earlier, where do you live??
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

unlocking asian genetics DaTruth1's Avatar
    DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What the... Alright, those looked nothing like clean and presses to me. You cleaned the weight with your knees and hips completely flexed. When you are pulling the bar on the clean, stand straight up really fast, then pull your body under the bar, then stand up again, then push the weight over your head. You are cutting every step short, and making it look very, very weird. Form is especially important if you are using the exercise for sport. The whole point of using the clean as a supplementary exercise is to increase the strength and explosiveness of your hips. Really emphasize the 2nd pull where you stand up as tall as possible and yank on the bar. Power cleans are probably more useful if you just want to increase hip strength.
    112.5 snatch
    131 cj

Log: http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=15188