Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Paleo

eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dsm246 View Post
    Please report back on your experience later. I'm interested in hearing how your experience compares to my own and what your take-aways end up being on it. As an aside: Week 3 was the hardest one for me when I tried the plan - the novelty had worn off and I really started craving certain foods at that time. It took about 6 weeks to really settle into it and adjust.
    I definitely will. So far (this is only day 4) I have much more energy during the day and I sleep better at night. I used to ALWAYS be yawning, always feeling like I could really use a nap, but my energy levels are up and consistent so far. However, I did my usual weight training routine yesterday and I was exhausted. My muscles were so tired and I could barely finish my workout. The cravings haven't been too bad, but they have been there. Yesterday I forced down a plain chicken breast (and I MEAN forced-I didn't have time to defrost any other meat and I just told myself "Today I'm not going to enjoy my food-I don't always have to enjoy it, but it has to get eaten) and had to spit out the last bite. I woke up early this morning craving oatmeal and wanting to throw up from the thought of meat. I just hate, hate, hattteeeee plain meat, and we (my mom and I) didn't actually prepare for this challenge. It just kind of happened all of a sudden, so we're still reading cookbooks and coming up with ways to spice things up. I'm happy that my energy levels are up and I'm assuming my body will adjust and my workouts will be back to normal, but I'm not really expecting any sort of big bodily changes (although it IS nice to not be bloated after every meal) because I think when people do paleo they lose a ton of weight because the meals are so fulfilling, so they eat less calories-but I'm not doing that. I am following the paleo diet, but I AM tracking what I eat to make sure I eat enough, so I guess we will see!

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by eleni611 View Post
    Yesterday I forced down a plain chicken breast (and I MEAN forced-I didn't have time to defrost any other meat and I just told myself "Today I'm not going to enjoy my food-I don't always have to enjoy it, but it has to get eaten)
    that really, really sucks. or would for me. wouldn't jive w/ me at all. btw, how did you used to make chicken and why can't you do that now? why couldn't you find a way to not have it plain last night? there are tons of ways to prepare chicken. or did you not eat chicken before?

eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by andrerox80 View Post
    that really, really sucks. or would for me. wouldn't jive w/ me at all. btw, how did you used to make chicken and why can't you do that now? why couldn't you find a way to not have it plain last night? there are tons of ways to prepare chicken. or did you not eat chicken before?
    Yeah, it really did. I just really don't like plain chicken breasts anymore because I used to eat them SO much. It never bothered me, but after eating it almost every day I just can't even stand the thought of it. I can eat grilled chicken thighs, or marinated and grilled chicken breasts, but I CAN'T eat it plain, cooked on the stove in olive oil. UGH I could throw up thinking about it. I just forced it down yesterday because I had to help my boyfriend pick up his dog from the vet after being spayed, and then we were going to the gym, so I didn't have time to defrost any other meat-chicken was all I had.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can eat grilled chicken thighs, or marinated and grilled chicken breasts, but I CAN'T eat it plain, cooked on the stove in olive oil.
    i hope you don't either. olive oil is not a paleo product.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, it really did. I just really don't like plain chicken breasts anymore because I used to eat them SO much.
    I'm the same way in regard to chicken breasts, I can no longer tolerate them (too dry and cardboard tasting, chewing forever). Have you tried chicken thighs? I've switched to thighs, and find them much easier to tolerate. They're juicier, smoother, and go down nicely. They're also more cost effective. Costco also has large packs of organic thighs if you're into that sort of thing. When I tire of meats, I switch over to nuts, which are terribly easy to snack on.

Best of luck to you!
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates

dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000) dsm246 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NOVA888 View Post
    I'm the same way in regard to chicken breasts, I can no longer tolerate them (too dry and cardboard tasting, chewing forever). Have you tried chicken thighs? I've switched to thighs, and find them much easier to tolerate. They're juicier, smoother, and go down nicely. They're also more cost effective. Costco also has large packs of organic thighs if you're into that sort of thing. When I tire of meats, I switch over to nuts, which are terribly easy to snack on.

Best of luck to you!
    I thought chicken thighs were on the Paleo "avoid list" because they are considered a fatty cut of poultry? Maybe I'm not remembering that accurately though. Whatever the case, I ended up poaching quite a few chicken breasts when I was following the plan. The poaching liquid would keep them juicy and I could use it to make a nice sauce to put over the breasts. I'd change the sauce flavor by using different spices, herbs and poaching liquids. I'd then serve the chicken breasts on a bed of cooked kale or chard (or some other green leafy veggie) with the sauce drizzled over. Tasty, easy and fast.

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, it really did. I just really don't like plain chicken breasts anymore because I used to eat them SO much. It never bothered me, but after eating it almost every day I just can't even stand the thought of it. I can eat grilled chicken thighs, or marinated and grilled chicken breasts, but I CAN'T eat it plain, cooked on the stove in olive oil. UGH I could throw up thinking about it. I just forced it down yesterday because I had to help my boyfriend pick up his dog from the vet after being spayed, and then we were going to the gym, so I didn't have time to defrost any other meat-chicken was all I had.
    why did you have to have it plain? paleo doesn't allow ANYthing?

Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I thought chicken thighs were on the Paleo "avoid list" because they are considered a fatty cut of poultry?
    Maybe it's the omega-6 content of the chicken fat? Here's what that Mark's Daily Apple site says about it:

"Poultry fat, although it’s delicious with roasted sweet potatoes or as crispy skin, has a good amount of omega-6. If you’re doing skin-on chicken thighs every night, you’ll be getting a big dose of omega-6 on a regular basis."

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-...#ixzz1jx4IlOcB

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I thought chicken thighs were on the Paleo "avoid list" because they are considered a fatty cut of poultry?
    Originally Posted by Sami76 View Post
    Maybe it's the omega-6 content of the chicken fat?
    you reckon paleo hunters were concerned about fatty cuts or omega-6 in birds after having subsisted on measly roots for days because they coudn't find anything else? they'd eat the whole thing - including blood and intestines.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am lol'ing in real life.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Originally Posted by andrerox80 View Post
    why did you have to have it plain? paleo doesn't allow ANYthing?
    I didn't have to have it plain, I was just in a hurry, so I switched over from "food for enjoyment" to "food for fuel" for one meal and just got it down...barely.

lylefk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lylefk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lylefk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wow, lots of misinformation about paleo here. I'm paleo (as is my gf) and have been for 2+ years. We'll never go away from it. 110% sold on it. We have the benefit of spending a good deal of time with the people I will list in a second, but in any case...it just makes SENSE. I've personally seen hundreds of people undergo amazing life changes...But...instead of more opinions, here are some links to help you make your OWN decision:

robbwolf.com - If you want the science. His book The Paleo Solution is excellent and pretty much mandatory reading. He also has a podcast that goes into great depth and all of them are available online.
    balancedbites.com - Diane Sanfilipos popular blog and website, paleo. A good mix of science and research, recipes, etc. Book coming soon. Also has a podcast. She does paleo talks at Crossfit gyms around the country.
    everydaypaleo.com - Sarah Fragoso's blog and website, paleo. More family oriented, lots of recipes. She has a book out as well.

One thing I will mention since I see you are trying it out...you will likely hit a wall energy-wise around the week 2 mark. It passes after a couple of days...I hit it, gf did not. Mileage may vary there, but don't let it discourage you.

Try it for 30 or 60 days and do your research, I doubt you'll go back.

Two things I'll debunk from my skimming the thread: Olive oil IS paleo (low smoke point, so best used cold drizzled over a salad, etc) and there are no 'points' on paleo (you may be thinking of the zone, which is another popular crossfit thing).

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me (anyone, not just op) if you are curious or have questions, concerns, etc.

Lyle

Originally Posted by lylefk View Post
    Wow, lots of misinformation about paleo here. I'm paleo (as is my gf) and have been for 2+ years. We'll never go away from it. 110% sold on it. We have the benefit of spending a good deal of time with the people I will list in a second, but in any case...it just makes SENSE. I've personally seen hundreds of people undergo amazing life changes...But...instead of more opinions, here are some links to help you make your OWN decision:

robbwolf.com - If you want the science. His book The Paleo Solution is excellent and pretty much mandatory reading. He also has a podcast that goes into great depth and all of them are available online.
    balancedbites.com - Diane Sanfilipos popular blog and website, paleo. A good mix of science and research, recipes, etc. Book coming soon. Also has a podcast. She does paleo talks at Crossfit gyms around the country.
    everydaypaleo.com - Sarah Fragoso's blog and website, paleo. More family oriented, lots of recipes. She has a book out as well.

One thing I will mention since I see you are trying it out...you will likely hit a wall energy-wise around the week 2 mark. It passes after a couple of days...I hit it, gf did not. Mileage may vary there, but don't let it discourage you.

Try it for 30 or 60 days and do your research, I doubt you'll go back.

Two things I'll debunk from my skimming the thread: Olive oil IS paleo (low smoke point, so best used cold drizzled over a salad, etc) and there are no 'points' on paleo (you may be thinking of the zone, which is another popular crossfit thing).

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me (anyone, not just op) if you are curious or have questions, concerns, etc.

Lyle
    Is there a reason people might have less energy around week two? I've been reading that it will probably happen right away, but I feel great. I'm hoping it doesn't come around week two!

Another thing-I have seen different opinions on "paleofying" food (ex: paleo pancakes, paleo pizza, paleo muffins, etc.) Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. If each individual ingredient is "paleo approved", then what could be the harm in putting them all together to make something that tastes great? Maybe the harm is that if you do that, you will never stop craving those foods...but I think it would be nice to be able to make those things and not stray from the plan.

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    j/w

is crystal light and diet coke paleo? 'cause i'm pretty sure i've seen that in paleo food diaries. i'm no anthropology buff but i'm willing to bet those substances weren't available to our primitive ancestors

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    j/w

is crystal light and diet coke paleo? 'cause i'm pretty sure i've seen that in paleo food diaries. i'm no anthropology buff but i'm willing to bet those substances weren't available to our primitive ancestors
    Exactly, and ground beef? Yeah, I am sure those cavemen were f-ing around grinding the meat before they ate it (the meat that they hunted and didn't buy from the supermarket - the meat that wasn't raised on a farm).

Kinda silly to try to eat like our ancestors when it is practically impossible the way things currently are.

I know that Old Crow a reserve in the Yukon eats a mostly traditional diet. Guess what they eat? 80% caribou, along with muskrat, ptarmigan, fish and other small animals. They catch, dress, and prep this stuff themselves. They probably burn off a ton of calories just getting the food.

This 'diet' seems a horribly watered down version of any true paleo-type diet.
    Love others well, but love thyself the most

Originally Posted by lylefk View Post
    Olive oil IS paleo (low smoke point, so best used cold drizzled over a salad, etc)
    why would it be paleo? sure wild olive trees have been around forever, cultivation and production of oil hasn't. it only first occurred after humans had settled down and developed higher culture, some 5,000 years ago.

so yeah, olives are okay, olive oil isn't. likewise, humans have been eating cows and marinated lean chicken breast [] since paleo times. why would it be okay to collect eggs for paleo, but not the milk? you don't need pasteurisation, you can drink it straight from the teat

fwiw, many modern nomadic tribes (hunter-gatherers) herd cattle and consume milk. why wouldn't they?

Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
    but it gets results *eyeroll* people are silly, but to ea his own. if you choose this way of eating, fine, but at least understand that any weight-related results are a matter of calories and energy, probably eliminating unprocessed foods.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
    Here's my thought. If you choose to eat certain foods, why does your manner of eating have to have a diet label at all? Why call it paleo, why not just say I don't eat much in the way of grains but I do eat x, y, z? Why restrictions and labels?
    Last edited by Rowyn; 01-20-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Makin'progress every day Flyboyjc's Avatar
    Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To the OP, good for you in experimenting what works for you. There has been a ton of advice in this thread; the one thing I would add is you gotta do what motivates you. No sense trying a dietary change that you hate! You'll know in 3-4 weeks whether its for you. No harm in trying.

I went "primal" about 4 weeks ago. Initially felt awesome but did hit a sinking-spell about week 2; it passed.

There is disagreement within the community whether or not dairy is primal or not. I don't care because I love dairy and eat it.

I discovered I am definetely gluten-sensitive. No more bloat, gas, headaches or joint pain - unless I "cheat." Also, no more huge blood-sugar crashes. Grain was playing havoc with my blood-sugar levels.

I don't care what you call it - low or no gluten diet, primal or paleo; whatever you call it, I haven't felt this good in years. I've seen the light and will not go back. The one thing I would not call it is a low carb diet. Since there is no limit on fruit and veggies, that title doesn't tell the full story.

Good luck OP!

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP you're so brave for starting this thread 'round these parts, if you're not IIFYM, you're tarred n feathered. LOL, j/k, j/k....

I decided to try a 21-day whole foods cleanse/paleo/ whatever you wanna call it on January 1. I usually chose whole foods (veggies, meat, fruits, nuts) over processed food anyway, so I figured it wouldn't be that much of a leap. Plus, I wanted to see if, after not having dairy & grains & legumes in my diet for 21 days, I would react badly to them when I reintroduced them after the 21 days.

What I've noticed:
    Higher energy, less need for an afternoon pick-me-up
    Really enjoying the taste of food, discovering that I love kale!?
    Not bloated, ever! yay!
    Horrific cravings for red wine (I don't know if that's "paleo" or not, I just decided to go without for personal reasons), and cheese. God I love cheese.
    Sugar is in EVERYTHING. Srsly.
    Really happy digestive system

My plan is to reintroduce one food group at a time, starting with dairy, and see if I keep my non-bloatedness and my energy levels up.

I agree with PP that said it's a little ridiculous to try to eat caveman style when we a)don't hunt b)cook our food with pots and pans and c)have refrigerators and grocery stores.

I'm just calling it the whole foods diet. OP if you like grains, include the whole grains, like brown rice, oats, barley etc. unless your body doesn't like 'em. My personal advice is just to include what you like but choose the least processed version possible. Do you like seafood? That's a really good protein source....Since you can't stand chicken don't eat it Who wants to choke down disgusting food anyway, ick.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by summertown74; 01-20-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Edit to add sugar crap
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Flyboyjc View Post
    To the OP, good for you in experimenting what works for you. There has been a ton of advice in this thread; the one thing I would add is you gotta do what motivates you. No sense trying a dietary change that you hate! You'll know in 3-4 weeks whether its for you. No harm in trying.

I went "primal" about 4 weeks ago. Initially felt awesome but did hit a sinking-spell about week 2; it passed.

There is disagreement within the community whether or not dairy is primal or not. I don't care because I love dairy and eat it.

I discovered I am definetely gluten-sensitive. No more bloat, gas, headaches or joint pain - unless I "cheat." Also, no more huge blood-sugar crashes. Grain was playing havoc with my blood-sugar levels.

I don't care what you call it - low or no gluten diet, primal or paleo; whatever you call it, I haven't felt this good in years. I've seen the light and will not go back. The one thing I would not call it is a low carb diet. Since there is no limit on fruit and veggies, that title doesn't tell the full story.

Good luck OP!
    Gluten and grains are two different things. Not all grains contain gluten. Quinoa, corn, millet, buckwheat, sorghum, amaranth, and teff for example.

Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flyboyjc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Gluten and grains are two different things. Not all grains contain gluten. Quinoa, corn, millet, buckwheat, sorghum, amaranth, and teff for example.
    Thank you, you are absolutely right. I oversimplified. There are gluten-free grains.

From what I understand, many grains are processed in the same facilites so there could be gluten mixed in to some of the gluten-free grains. Just something to keep in mind...

I was surprised by how much I liked Quinoa.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thank you, you are absolutely right. I oversimplified. There are gluten-free grains.

From what I understand, many grains are processed in the same facilites so there could be gluten mixed in to some of the gluten-free grains. Just something to keep in mind...

I was surprised by how much I liked Quinoa.
    Yes. Cross contamination can be a problem. Arrowhead Mills is one of the best brands to use to avoid that. Bob's Mill is probably ok unless you're allergic or sensitive to corn.

Rice, especially white, and oats are in a grey area. Some can tolerate one or the other or both. They are in the YMMV category.

Good luck OP!
    Thanks! I'm on day 5 and I definitely feel better. I haven't been bloated since being on it, I have more energy during the day, I sleep better, and I used to have headaches everyday, but I haven't had one in 5 days. I'm nervous about the energy loss around week 2, but as long as I know it will pass it won't be so bad.

Originally Posted by summertown74 View Post
    OP you're so brave for starting this thread 'round these parts, if you're not IIFYM, you're tarred n feathered. LOL, j/k, j/k....

I decided to try a 21-day whole foods cleanse/paleo/ whatever you wanna call it on January 1. I usually chose whole foods (veggies, meat, fruits, nuts) over processed food anyway, so I figured it wouldn't be that much of a leap. Plus, I wanted to see if, after not having dairy & grains & legumes in my diet for 21 days, I would react badly to them when I reintroduced them after the 21 days.

What I've noticed:
    Higher energy, less need for an afternoon pick-me-up
    Really enjoying the taste of food, discovering that I love kale!?
    Not bloated, ever! yay!
    Horrific cravings for red wine (I don't know if that's "paleo" or not, I just decided to go without for personal reasons), and cheese. God I love cheese.
    Sugar is in EVERYTHING. Srsly.
    Really happy digestive system

My plan is to reintroduce one food group at a time, starting with dairy, and see if I keep my non-bloatedness and my energy levels up.

I agree with PP that said it's a little ridiculous to try to eat caveman style when we a)don't hunt b)cook our food with pots and pans and c)have refrigerators and grocery stores.

I'm just calling it the whole foods diet. OP if you like grains, include the whole grains, like brown rice, oats, barley etc. unless your body doesn't like 'em. My personal advice is just to include what you like but choose the least processed version possible. Do you like seafood? That's a really good protein source....Since you can't stand chicken don't eat it Who wants to choke down disgusting food anyway, ick.

Good luck!!
    Haha, yeah...I do still believe "IIFYM", BUT I feel better without that food. At the same time, I really don't know if I believe that. I go back and forth between "a calorie is a calorie" and "not all calories are equal." "A calorie is a calorie" makes sense, but really, does your body function the same on junk vs "real" food? It seems that many people say they lose weight on more calories when following a paleo-type diet, and when they go back to their old "regular healthy" diet (meat, brown rice, sweet potatoes, IIFYM) they have to cut back on the calories. And, yeah, I realize I probably just opened a very large can of worms there, but that's ok.

I definitely feel better and have no energy dip in the afternoon, I sleep better, I'm never bloated, and I haven't had a headache since I started (I used to get them everyday.)

The one thing I REALLY, REALLY miss is feta cheese. It was just such a good thing to have! It has such a strong flavor so you don't need much, which made it easy to keep your meal within your calorie range. I'm not going to have it for 30 days, but I might reintroduce it after, little by little and see what happens.

Thanks!!

heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Haha, yeah...I do still believe "IIFYM", BUT I feel better without that food. At the same time, I really don't know if I believe that. I go back and forth between "a calorie is a calorie" and "not all calories are equal." "A calorie is a calorie" makes sense, but really, does your body function the same on junk vs "real" food? It seems that many people say they lose weight on more calories when following a paleo-type diet, and when they go back to their old "regular healthy" diet (meat, brown rice, sweet potatoes, IIFYM) they have to cut back on the calories. And, yeah, I realize I probably just opened a very large can of worms there, but that's ok.

I definitely feel better and have no energy dip in the afternoon, I sleep better, I'm never bloated, and I haven't had a headache since I started (I used to get them everyday.)

The one thing I REALLY, REALLY miss is feta cheese. It was just such a good thing to have! It has such a strong flavor so you don't need much, which made it easy to keep your meal within your calorie range. I'm not going to have it for 30 days, but I might reintroduce it after, little by little and see what happens.

Thanks!!
    I don't know though, I'd like to see some studies. I'm not buying it though that people who follow a paleo-type diet can consume more calories than they could on any other diet type and still lose weight, it just doesn't makes sense. I follow IIFYM (though I've never called it that, I call it everything in moderation) and I can assure you my calorie needs are quite high, esp. for someone who weighs only 100 lbs. I'm breastfeeding now so my needs are even higher, but if I weren't I could maintain my weight on about 2100-2200 cals a day and that is without cardio (I must have a really high NEAT?). Adding cardio into the mix and we're talking either weight loss on that amount or I have to bump up the calories and since weight loss isn't a goal, it's option 2. That's anecdotal, but unless there are studies behind this, you're only going to get anecdotal in each direction.

That's great that you've found something that helps you feel better, that is important. I know that I could never follow a diet that eliminates entire food groups, that lifestyle just would never work for me, I need something I can enjoy and follow long-term and that is why I follow "everything in moderation". However, I'm not going to push that on anyone else, we all need to find what works for us as individuals and what may work well for one person, may not work for another (I'm not necessarily talking physiologically). Everything in moderation (or IIFYM) works for me which is why I'll always stick with it, anything else and I'm veering back into disordered eating territory.

Anyway, if this is what you want to do (and it sounds like it is), good luck to you and I hope you continue to experience the benefits and that for you, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks!
    Last edited by heidismommy; 01-21-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    On a mini-cut, then onto maintenance mode for the summer.

Thanks!!
    Here is a real authority on nutrition, Alan Aragon:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...-clean-eating/

Originally Posted by heidismommy View Post
    I don't know though, I'd like to see some studies. I'm not buying it though that people who follow a paleo-type diet can consume more calories than they could on any other diet type and still lose weight, it just doesn't makes sense.
    Actually, I just read some new research that suggests that whole foods take slightly more energy by the body to process/digest. So the flip side would be more true, the more processed, the easier to digest, less cals burned doing so.

As for summertown's comment about IIFIYM, I think the Female Forum is FAR more neutral about nutrition than the other parts of the site where you WILL get a new azzhole ripped if you don't follow the mantra lol.

Also, I do myself follow a "different" diet with few conventional grains, but that is because I prefer those food choices for myself. There is no black and white with my food, no lists, nothing like that (I don't have intolerances). No book or label. I eat what works for me. If the basic concept of a paleo diet appeals but you want to eat cheese, why not??

Read the link freebirdmac provided if you haven't already.

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Yes. Cross contamination can be a problem. Arrowhead Mills is one of the best brands to use to avoid that. Bob's Mill is probably ok unless you're allergic or sensitive to corn.

Rice, especially white, and oats are in a grey area. Some can tolerate one or the other or both. They are in the YMMV category.
    Thanks again!

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    Here's my thought. If you choose to eat certain foods, why does your manner of eating have to have a diet label at all? Why call it paleo, why not just say I don't eat much in the way of grains but I do eat x, y, z? Why restrictions and labels?
    because if it's not catchy people won't buy into it (literally and figuratively). imagine if IIFYM was just called "everything in moderation provided you use some common sense and compose the majority of your diet with foods that are nutritious and make your body feel good"

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    As for summertown's comment about IIFIYM, I think the Female Forum is FAR more neutral about nutrition than the other parts of the site where you WILL get a new azzhole ripped if you don't follow the mantra lol.
    Yes, this thread would probably have gone differently in the Nutrition section.

I am not outright against people cutting out certain foods, but I am against bull**** reasons for doing so. If you have a gluten-intolerance or find better digestive results when you cut things out, that's all good and fine. But if you're just trying to fulfill the rules of a fad or feel like you can't control yourself around certain substances, then just admit that. Have some transparency people.