drivium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Depletion into carb up

Trying to find some black and white answers.

1. After my depletion workout on Friday, would I begin my 24hr carb load directly following?

2. My carb up split changes from 65%fats/30%Protein/5%carbs to 65%carbs/30%Protein/5%Fats?

3. I read that I should double my daily caloric goals during carb up. Mine is 1800 for cutting, so 3,600?

4. Also read that first half of carb up should be liquid simple sugar carbs and second half should be complex/starchy, so 1st 12hrs=high GI, 2nd 12hrs=Low GI?

5. Finally, If I start my carb up friday night, do I need to wake up every few hours during the night to consume carbs faithfully for 24hrs?

thx!
    Last edited by drivium; 08-18-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    "Immoveable stone in your world of weak!" --Pantera

hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Cool. Thank you. Great article. That's the same article I've been reading. I found the answers to 1 & 2, but did not see a clear answer for the rest.

hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hskidd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by drivium View Post
    Cool. Thank you. Great article. That's the same article I've been reading. I found the answers to 1 & 2, but did not see a clear answer for the rest.
    answer to 3 is under the section "what about fat gains"
    4. is under types of carbs
    5. most likely not

DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Trying to find some black and white answers.

1. After my depletion workout on Friday, would I begin my 24hr carb load directly following?

Yes

2. My carb up split changes from 65%fats/30%Protein/5%carbs to 65%carbs/30%Protein/5%Fats?

nvm.

3. I read that I should double my daily caloric goals during carb up. Mine is 1800 for cutting, so 3,600?

nvm.

4. Also read that first half of carb up should be liquid simple sugar carbs and second half should be complex/starchy, so 1st 12hrs=high GI, 2nd 12hrs=Low GI?

first half can be high GI carbs, second half should be low GI. whatever you do, DO NOT eat fructose. that **** goes straight to refilling liver glycogen and does nothing for muscle glycogen stores, pro-longing the amount of time required to re-enter keto.

5. Finally, If I start my carb up friday night, do I need to wake up every few hours during the night to consume carbs faithfully for 24hrs?

nope. just eat when you're typically awake.

thx!
    bold.

edited for my lack of knowledge
    Last edited by DMurph51; 08-18-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    [IIFYM]

CKD Calculator (copy pasta):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=784518
    Carb-Load Guide (copy pasta):
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-an-in-depth-look-into-carbing-up-on-the-cyclical-ketogenic-diet-with-lyle-mcdonald.html

reps to ananf72 for life.

DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMurph51 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i read the link provided. that's the first time i've read to eat double your maintenance cals during the carb-up.
    [IIFYM]

http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-an-in-depth-look-into-carbing-up-on-the-cyclical-ketogenic-diet-with-lyle-mcdonald.html

binmop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) binmop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "first half can be high GI carbs, second half should be low GI. whatever you do, DO NOT eat fructose. that **** goes straight to refilling liver glycogen and does nothing for muscle glycogen stores, pro-longing the amount of time required to re-enter keto"

so youre saying during the second half of carb up, stay away from anything high GI, like fruit for example?

Originally Posted by binmop View Post
    "first half can be high GI carbs, second half should be low GI. whatever you do, DO NOT eat fructose. that **** goes straight to refilling liver glycogen and does nothing for muscle glycogen stores, pro-longing the amount of time required to re-enter keto"

so youre saying during the second half of carb up, stay away from anything high GI, like fruit for example?
    fruit sugar=fructose. most people stay away from fructose because it replenishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen. only way to empty liver glycogen is through time, while muscle glycogen can be emptied through physical activity.

Originally Posted by binmop View Post

Yes, avoid high GI foods during the second half of the carb up period.

Be sure to avoid fructose (thus fruit in general) for the duration of the carb up, for the reason stated in the post above.
    [IIFYM]

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP not trying to hijack..

I never heard of this eat double the calories. How much do I gotta friggin eat if I only do a 12-14 hour refeed??

That would be like eating 7 meals at like 100-125g of carbs per meal.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

I'll admit, I hope the answer is yes, double cals on carb up. I am anxious to eat high carb (HIGH GI) things I've been avoiding like candy and icecream! Although, finding candy that is low fat seems like it will be impossible. Guess we'll see! What is the consensus on this?

stay within your fat allowance and you'll have no problems. a BJ pint is typically under 50g fat. less if you get a reduced fat flavor.

i dont like candy. but i DO like chocolate chip pancakes.
    [IIFYM]

Just to clarify, on a carb up, I'm supposed to go double maintenance (4000 calories)? OR are you saying that's not the norm but it's fine if I choose to long as I keep my fat minimal and avoid fructose?
    Last edited by drivium; 08-22-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Any thoughts on this? My first carb up day is rapidly approaching.
    Last edited by drivium; 08-22-2011 at 11:00 AM.

SwissSteak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any thoughts on this? My first carb up day is rapidly approaching.
    thinkmuscle d0t com/articles/mcdonald/carb-up-and-ketogenic-diet.htm

Has everything you need to know. Scroll down til you see "Summary of Guidelines for the Carb-Load" which spells it out and has a chart based on LBM.