oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10) oowl is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Oats.. Benefits?

What is the benefit to eating oats, besides a cheap way to get good carbs? How would I implement them into my cutting macros/calories? I don't even know the best ways to cook them (Does everyone just put them in the microwave with some water or milk?). I've had a read of the different varieties and will probably look at rolled oats, mainly for convenience, if I get some.
    Last edited by oowl; 08-10-2011 at 08:56 PM.

RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoseTinted is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I finds oats are more filling than your average carb so that's an advantage. Also it has a decent amount of protein in it. Depending on what flavour protein shake you're using (if any) they taste quite nice with the shake in milk (I use cookies and cream). Otherwise maybe some of more healthy flapjack recipes might fit your macros.

Wants 2B Infinite Beauty Snowgrrl83's Avatar
    Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Snowgrrl83 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by RoseTinted View Post
    I finds oats are more filling than your average carb so that's an advantage. Also it has a decent amount of protein in it. Depending on what flavour protein shake you're using (if any) they taste quite nice with the shake in milk (I use cookies and cream). Otherwise maybe some of more healthy flapjack recipes might fit your macros.

The reason they are "good carbs" is because they are "slow digesting" (have a low Glycemic index), are "filling", they are "whole grains" (thus slow digestion). They also contain a decent amount of soluble fiber (good for digestion). There are numerous ways to use oats. I buy oat bran and put them in my muffins and shakes... I also make your traditional oatmeal. I spinkle them on top of fruits and stick it in the microwave with splenda to make fruit crumbles. Just measure your oats, make sure they fit into your macros while cutting and voila!...
    Follow my I AM JUGGERNAUT journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134533291