HiSpeedGeek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HiSpeedGeek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

6 weeks-fork in the road question RE:lifting for weight loss

I'm 313 lbs. I started at 320-ish 6 weeks ago (I got a new scale in the last week, so its a little difficult to tell how 'off' my other one was)

I lift 3 days a week, either upper/lower/upper or lower/upper/lower, and alternate from week to week, increasing 5-10 lbs if I can in most things.

The other 2 days I do cardio intervals on an elliptical trainer for 25-30 minutes.

In the last 6 weeks I've seen lifting gains, and bf%/bmi% drop about 2%, and some size changes in my waist, but not a lot of weight loss. I know this is probably off-set somewhat by the lifting. From reading in MH and other places the formula of lifting + cardio is supposed to be the most effective way to both reduce weight and increase weight loss due to muscle increase but i'm not losing scale weight very quickly. In my past I have been able to consistently drop 3-5 lbs a week doing cardio intervals for 25-35 minutes 3-4 days a week, but with no lifting. I average around 2000 calories a day, and drink around 2 liters of water. I don't sleep more than 5-6 hours a night, though since I am in school again and I work 40/wk.

Since i'm not losing scale weight very quickly, would it hurt to not lift for a week or 2, and just do cardio 5 days a week, and then start lifting again? I'm assuming that MH was not written for a 300lb guy, but in 10 weeks at Basic I managed to drop from 214 to 195. I kind of expected to see more than a lb a week in weight loss.

There is a blogger at 344lbs.com that lost a crap ton over several months doing cardio only 5 days a week, something like 3-5 lbs a week (with weekly pics/weigh-ins to prove it). While i'm glad to see my lifting go up, id rather be seeing my scale weight go down.