xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xraychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

protein shakes/powders

Just a quick question. I track my calories and macros through myfitnesspal.com. and i've noticed a lot of women on there losing weight drink protein shakes. What exactly is the appeal of this? Does it make a difference in weight loss to do this?
    If you only knew the power of the dark side!

bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bosgirlin09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by xraychick View Post
    Just a quick question. I track my calories and macros through myfitnesspal.com. and i've noticed a lot of women on there losing weight drink protein shakes. What exactly is the appeal of this? Does it make a difference in weight loss to do this?
    I don't see any reason why the shakes in and of themselves would contribute to weight loss. The shakes are great for post workout and keeping your portein macro up to what it should be. I suppose if you substituted all food proteins for shakes you'd be eating less calories b/c meat/eggs/dairy (even lean meat) have fat and therefore more calories. I guess it also depends what kind of "shakes" people are using...are they meal replacement? or whey isolate only? Meal replacement shakes might just make it easier to calculate your daily calorie intake, less room for error. Still, it's good to get your macros/micros from food...shakes should be the exception not the norm...

n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10) n0ts0smart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Xray,

I use protein shakes after I work out to keep my muscles from getting sore (so I could work out more frequently) and to keep my protein macros up as Bos said above. It's not necessarily a weight loss tool, but it does help to build healthy, clean muscle which cuts fat. Personally, I would say that it was crucial for my weight loss program. I lost 40 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle. Don't know if all of that would have happened without a shake after my workout.

Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000) Acon83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use shakes for various reasons
    1. pre-workout, and post-workout for reasons stated above: we need protein to build and recover
    2. at work, when I need to get protein in me, and it's not time to break out a chicken breast
    3. I'm out running around, and don't have time for an actual meal

I believe that nothing beats a good piece of chicken or fish, but in a pinch, protein shakes are the way to go!
    Got a new mindset! Let's do this!!!!!!

NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NutritioNate has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Should I be using a protein shake after an intense hour and a half bike ride? Or should I be eating some food with lots of protein in them.

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have the time and resources afterwards to cook a real meal then by all means do it! Personally any type of cardio makes me hungry as a beast, and after an hour and a half no little mix of whey and milk would satisfy me