Closed Thread
Page 145 of 397 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 11884
    BradAlive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BradAlive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great googlie moogelie!

My quads are sore two days after Day one, week one.

Hopefully day two will loosen me up!
    Thanks,
    Brad

Yes, that's me in the avatar. 263 pounds of flab with ~33% body fat. Believe it or not, I'm down from 378#'s. Now it's time to get serious and lose the rest of the fat!

My short term goal: feel comfortable without a shirt on, outside, for the first time in my life by 6/1/12!!!!

eatliftsurfeatliftsurfeat surfeatliftsurf's Avatar
    surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Snine View Post
    So am I reading this right, in that you only add weight to the bar once every 5 WEEKS? So for over a month I will be squating 3 times a week but never pushing the weight higher aside from 1 rep every week?

I'm not questioning the program, since clearly a lot of people have had success with it over the last few years but could someone explain this to me? I go to the gym expecting to lift more then I did the last workout if possible... Just having a hard time imagining going over a month without upping it.

Also, the thought of a medium workout, and a light workout each week bothers me for some reason too, is this really more beneficial then just lifting heavy all 3 days?

Anyone that can help?
    It's not about seeing weekly weight gains, it's about seeing forward progress in a program that stresses linear progression. You will get stronger and bigger on this program if you diet properly, guaranteed.

Originally Posted by ShaneMK View Post
    Long answer: I'm too busy

Short answer:

Let's say 1 rep x 10 lbs = 10 lbs of work. Next week, you do 2 reps. 2 rep x 10 lbs = 20 lbs of work. You are moving more weight. Wait until you have a cycle or two under your belt, then come back and explain what 12 rep squats are like The purpose is to build endurance as well as strength. If you want something more strength oriented, you'd be looking for a 5x5 program like Starting Strength.

The medium and light day is a built-in active deload. It prevents overtraining, and again, give it a cycle or two, they won't feel so light anymore. If you think about it, you start with your 10 rep max. After a cycle, you bump your weight up +10%. That means your medium day for cycle 2 is your old 10 rep max, and it only took 5 weeks. By your 3-4 cycle, there's nothing "medium" or "light" about those days.
    This^

Honestly, if you want to see the numbers move every workout, go look up Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. That sounds like what you want. It's a good way to get strong before you move to a bodybuilding approach that focuses on a higher rep range.

shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shawn122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So am I reading this right, in that you only add weight to the bar once every 5 WEEKS? So for over a month I will be squating 3 times a week but never pushing the weight higher aside from 1 rep every week?

I'm not questioning the program, since clearly a lot of people have had success with it over the last few years but could someone explain this to me? I go to the gym expecting to lift more then I did the last workout if possible... Just having a hard time imagining going over a month without upping it.

Also, the thought of a medium workout, and a light workout each week bothers me for some reason too, is this really more beneficial then just lifting heavy all 3 days?

Anyone that can help?
    Don't lift heavy all three days....you are going to mess yourself up.

12 reps is not an easy feat when you get there. I was thinking on the same lines as you when I first started reading.....then I completed 1 cycle and realized what this workout really does to you.

TRUST THE PROGRAM!

Best of luck!
    - All Pro's Beginner Routine!
    -http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

-- All Pro's Beginner Routine F.A.Q - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137203123
    -- YouTube Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FAF74A332E11464

--- My Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139157413 ---

Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Alright thanks for the responses.

I have done SS in the past already which may actually be why this seems so diffrent. I'm actually looking at this for my uncle who I'm getting into the gym and think it will be really good for him to follow, and have decided to give it atleast 3 cycles myself so I can see first hand how it is.

I'm going to be seeing him tomorrow and going over it all with him in a test run before we start it up for real next week and have one final question I'd like some oppinions on.

I know that "changing" a workout is usually frowned upon around here lol, but I have always enjoyed hitting tricepts hard and wanted to add 3 more simple exercises:

- skull crushers
    - dips
    - pull ups

They'd be done in the same cycle system and weight progression and I don't see how this will be overtraining any muscle on any given workout. Sound okay?

Thanks for your input people.

surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) surfeatliftsurf is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sound okay?
    In a word, no.

It's too much volume on 1 body part. The point is to master the compound lifts and make progress, not stall your arms out because you want to add 3 assistance lifts "just because." If you add those exercises to the program either your bench press or overhead press will stall and will not make any progress. This will be frustrating and cause you to change something else, which will only make things worse. If you really want to assess it for what it is, run the program as strictly as you can so that you give it a fair chance as it stands. If after 3 or 4 cycles you feel like you're smarter than All-Pro (who has been in the game over 25 years) then you should feel free to change things.

Also, if you're not getting a good tricep workout in from benching AND overhead pressing 3x a week, you're not using enough weight.

Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Snine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Alright you convinced me lol. I will be starting the real thing monday and following it word for word trusting in Mr AllPro for a good 3-4 cycles.

I guess it wouldn't really be fair to report back in a few months complaining about the program if I didn't even follow it properly.

Thanks to everyone who replied for the advice.

thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello all,

My first post here. I am a newbz, indeed. I have a couple of questions I hope you all won't mind answering.

Firstly, my wife and are in definite need of getting in shape. She simply wants to get all around stronger and lose about 20-30lbs of fat. I do, too, but I seriously want to also develop my muscle form. Strength and health above all, but it'd feel great to be in good form.

Currently, I weigh 180-5lbs at 5'7. I don't know for certain bodyfat %, but my best guessing is if I lost about 30lbs of fat, I'd be close to single digit %. Not important, really. What's important to me is simply getting fit and strong. I've read the original thread skipping much of the latter posts to the last page directing me here. I want to eventually utilize All-Pro's workout, but will start with Ripptoe's. Problem is I don't have sufficient weights (a barbell and about 70lbs of plastic/cement plates) or access/money to a gym. It's 30miles from me. But, I want to start somewhere. I figure, then, use what I have at my disposal. My own body weight.

Would anyone mind suggesting what exercises I could start with that increase my current strength in preparation for beginning Ripptoe's program?.....to commence as soon as I can acquire some real weights which may take a little while.

I already figure dips and rack chin ups, but I'm not sure on a good routine. How many sets/reps/days a week? I can currently pull off two full chin ups at x1, and about 4 or 5 dips. <<<wimp>>>. Around 25 push ups x1 and 25 sit ups x1.

I manage to ride my bike once a week for an hour, and I'm also in the middle of firewood season....eg. atleast x1 - x2 I'm dragging a wheelbarrow up into the woods and spending an hour or more cutting and handsplitting the wood with a 20lbs maul. So, I know that's "something", but I don't consider it sufficient, really.

I've got the diet thing in the works, already. Going by Emma-Leighs recommendations. It's already making a difference after a few days. I can feel it and see it. Probably water weight, mostly, at the moment. But, I can feel my body is already shifting. I want to amp it up with some solid exercise with the programs in mind.

I'm 39 years old, so I don't have any "massive", grand visions in mind. But, after all these years I'd really like to change my life. I've eaten healthy for a long time, but not really in balanced way. I had no idea I needed so much protein. :O. My muscles are pretty solid from work, but not big or well formed. Any help you guys could offer would be most appreciated.

As for my wife, I'll simply help her out as I learn....which I'm spending a couple of hours a day reading. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks all!

Matthew

ps. Oh yeah, the second question. We both want to loose the fat. But, in caloric counting, whilst I'm working and getting the exercise, should I go by my current assessment of maintenance intake, or should drop the 500 or so calories to lose the fat? I can lose fat pretty quickly and have always been able to gain muscle quickly. Lean mass retention has been a problem, but I'm fixing that the diet. Thanks, again.

ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Alright you convinced me lol. I will be starting the real thing monday and following it word for word trusting in Mr AllPro for a good 3-4 cycles.

I guess it wouldn't really be fair to report back in a few months complaining about the program if I didn't even follow it properly.

Thanks to everyone who replied for the advice.
    You're not the first to try to change it. Think of it as All Pro's Super Delicious Soup in a 5 star restaurant. You're trying to walk into the kitchen and add ingredients to something you haven't even tried yet.

.......................... with that said, I added dips my first cycle. Terrible, terrible idea.

And, like surfeatliftsurf mentioned, if you're not getting a good workout, you're not using enough weight. Mind you, the first cycle should be relatively "easy". DO NOT OVERSHOOT YOUR 10RM, IT'S GOING TO FEEL LIGHT AT FIRST. Use this time to work on form!

ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShaneMK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thook44 View Post
    Hello all,

My first post here. I am a newbz, indeed. I have a couple of questions I hope you all won't mind answering.

Firstly, my wife and are in definite need of getting in shape. She simply wants to get all around stronger and lose about 20-30lbs of fat. I do, too, but I seriously want to also develop my muscle form. Strength and health above all, but it'd feel great to be in good form.

Currently, I weigh 180-5lbs at 5'7. I don't know for certain bodyfat %, but my best guessing is if I lost about 30lbs of fat, I'd be close to single digit %. Not important, really. What's important to me is simply getting fit and strong. I've read the original thread skipping much of the latter posts to the last page directing me here. I want to eventually utilize All-Pro's workout, but will start with Ripptoe's. Problem is I don't have sufficient weights (a barbell and about 70lbs of plastic/cement plates) or access/money to a gym. It's 30miles from me. But, I want to start somewhere. I figure, then, use what I have at my disposal. My own body weight.

Would anyone mind suggesting what exercises I could start with that increase my current strength in preparation for beginning Ripptoe's program?.....to commence as soon as I can acquire some real weights which may take a little while.

I already figure dips and rack chin ups, but I'm not sure on a good routine. How many sets/reps/days a week? I can currently pull off two full chin ups at x1, and about 4 or 5 dips. <<<wimp>>>. Around 25 push ups x1 and 25 sit ups x1.

I manage to ride my bike once a week for an hour, and I'm also in the middle of firewood season....eg. atleast x1 - x2 I'm dragging a wheelbarrow up into the woods and spending an hour or more cutting and handsplitting the wood with a 20lbs maul. So, I know that's "something", but I don't consider it sufficient, really.

I've got the diet thing in the works, already. Going by Emma-Leighs recommendations. It's already making a difference after a few days. I can feel it and see it. Probably water weight, mostly, at the moment. But, I can feel my body is already shifting. I want to amp it up with some solid exercise with the programs in mind.

I'm 39 years old, so I don't have any "massive", grand visions in mind. But, after all these years I'd really like to change my life. I've eaten healthy for a long time, but not really in balanced way. I had no idea I needed so much protein. :O. My muscles are pretty solid from work, but not big or well formed. Any help you guys could offer would be most appreciated.

As for my wife, I'll simply help her out as I learn....which I'm spending a couple of hours a day reading. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks all!

Matthew

ps. Oh yeah, the second question. We both want to loose the fat. But, in caloric counting, whilst I'm working and getting the exercise, should I go by my current assessment of maintenance intake, or should drop the 500 or so calories to lose the fat? I can lose fat pretty quickly and have always been able to gain muscle quickly. Lean mass retention has been a problem, but I'm fixing that the diet. Thanks, again.
    I....... okay, my thought process:

You don't have any weights. IMHO, that basically means you can't do this or starting strength. You mention that you will acquire weights eventually though, so my suggestion would be to focus on cardio / weight loss for the time being. You said "if I lost 30 lbs of fat" .. you have no avi, but from this, I'm guessing you could drop a solid 15-20lbs on a "cut" before focusing on muscle growth. It will help in the long run.

I have to leave, and I'm sure someone else may offer more guidance, but really.. you're trying to cut wood without an ax, know what I mean?

Edit: Also, and this is over generalized, but it's really difficult to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time. (you mentioned losing lbs and gaining strength). I think that fits my above recommendation as well. Cut first, acquire gravity adverse objects, lift hard.

pawny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pawny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pawny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pawny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pawny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pawny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pawny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Snine, About adding these three exercises to tricep, I been there, done that, and the result were the following..

fatigue starts at week 3-4-5, my bench and military press did actually crash, it really crashes to where I felt so dizzy and felt like faint....srs

a guy above said it as clear as crystal, bench and OHP would stall, and it will.

btw I only added skullcrusher and press downs....it was a mistake, never again

fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey guys,

I read as much as possible about this routine (wow that's a lot of pages in both threads!) and going to start it tomorrow.

I just have one question. Allpro said that warmup sets are only necessary for first 4 exercises. Would that then mean that for SLDL, curls, and calf raises you have 4 work sets?

thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thook44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I....... okay, my thought process:

You don't have any weights. IMHO, that basically means you can't do this or starting strength.

You mention that you will acquire weights eventually though, so my suggestion would be to focus on cardio / weight loss for the time being. You said "if I lost 30 lbs of fat" .. you have no avi, but from this, I'm guessing you could drop a solid 15-20lbs on a "cut" before focusing on muscle growth. It will help in the long run.

I have to leave, and I'm sure someone else may offer more guidance, but really.. you're trying to cut wood without an ax, know what I mean?

Edit: Also, and this is over generalized, but it's really difficult to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time. (you mentioned losing lbs and gaining strength). I think that fits my above recommendation as well. Cut first, acquire gravity adverse objects, lift hard.
    Not sure, but what I think you're saying is I won't be able to really gain any strength until I get some weights. Yes/no??? Hmm...I thought I might be able to atleast get somewhere with body weight exercises....a better than nothing sort of approach.

I'd already considered simply starting with cardio and weightloss until I can focus on building muscle and strength. However, my understanding is that it's not impossible to lose and gain at the same time, but gains won't be nearly significant while also losing fat. If that's the case, I'm fine with that, for now. On the other hand, I tend to get quite zealous and overload my plate, as it were, when I begin something I'm enthused about. I used to run about 5mi's x 4 days out of the week. I guess I'll just start running, again. I'm hoping to have a decent weight set by Spring when I get my tax return. I just hate to wait that long on building up some strength and musculature. I wanna be there yesterday...lol!

fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fantaz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not sure, but what I think you're saying is I won't be able to really gain any strength until I get some weights. Yes/no??? Hmm...I thought I might be able to atleast get somewhere with body weight exercises....a better than nothing sort of approach.

I'd already considered simply starting with cardio and weightloss until I can focus on building muscle and strength. However, my understanding is that it's not impossible to lose and gain at the same time, but gains won't be nearly significant while also losing fat. If that's the case, I'm fine with that, for now. On the other hand, I tend to get quite zealous and overload my plate, as it were, when I begin something I'm enthused about. I used to run about 5mi's x 4 days out of the week. I guess I'll just start running, again. I'm hoping to have a decent weight set by Spring when I get my tax return. I just hate to wait that long on building up some strength and musculature. I wanna be there yesterday...lol!
    You don't have a gym near you? Gym membership is quite cheap these days.. like $20 to $30 per month.

Completely understandable.

First, I'll say be glad that you stumbled on this site / routine before you even began. I lifted for 2 years before doing it right. Imagine how annoyed I was when I realized how much time I had wasted?

Secondly, and it's possible that someone will correct me on this, but the majority of "strength" gain is in the sub-8 rep per set, hypertrophy (size) 8-12, and 12+ is more endurance exercise. If you can find body weight exercises that you can't do more than ~12 of, go for it. Dips and pull ups come to mind. You also mentioned having a little bit of weight, so perhaps investing in a pair of adjustable dumbbells would be fruitful -- you could do curls, bent over rows, overhead press, different shoulder raises, etc. for a bit. Once you max out whatever weight you have, though, your gains will stop.

Finally, as a raw beginner, you could see some newbie gains with strength while reducing body weight. Don't expect to maintain this though. As stated before, if you were a friend of mine that asked me for advice, I'd tell you to concentrate on dropping the weight (running sounds good) until you have the funds for weight. Throw in what exercises you can.

I was doing 25 reps of pushups for 5 sets during that 2 year time period -- check out my chest

Originally Posted by fantaz View Post
    Hey guys,

I read as much as possible about this routine (wow that's a lot of pages in both threads!) and going to start it tomorrow.

I just have one question. Allpro said that warmup sets are only necessary for first 4 exercises. Would that then mean that for SLDL, curls, and calf raises you have 4 work sets?
    Only 2 work sets.

Personally, I only use warm up sets for squats/bench. After that I'm good to row at my work weight. YMMV.

Only 2 work sets.

Personally, I only use warm up sets for squats/bench. After that I'm good to row at my work weight. YMMV.
    Thanks. And you find 2 sets to be enough?

Most times anymore it feels like too much...

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by surfeatliftsurf View Post
    Most times anymore it feels like too much...
    Here's a general rule, and I really, REALLY, REALLY hate going out on a limb with these BUT,
    For all core compound exercises, that's usually 3, think push, pull legs, NEVER do fewer than 2 work sets. They don't have to be the for the same number of reps, but never do fewer than 2. NEVER do more than 5 work sets with the same weight for the same number of reps. The sweat spot is 3 sets, same weight same number of reps or a mixed rep range doing the heavier weight lower rep set first.
    so that means 3x5 = acceptable. 5x5 = acceptable. 6x5 NO!
    1x5 + 1x10 and maybe 1x15 0r 1x5 + 1x15 = acceptable.
    1x15 + 1x10 + 1x5 = FORGETABOUTIT!
    All right I've just confused all of the nubes and pissed off all of the bodybuilders.....but the power lifters, olympic lifters and powerbuilders are smiling!

You don't have a gym near you? Gym membership is quite cheap these days.. like $20 to $30 per month.
    Cheap is relative...hehe. I can't afford $20 or $30 a month even if the gym were only a mile away. I live in the woods and run an animal sanctuary with my wife on our ten acres. So, time is limited and money is even more so. I do have a part time job in town (Fayetteville...where the closest gym is 30 miles away), but it's only on the weekends. The gym's in the same shopping center as the store I work at...which is nice, but then the gas money and time to get there and back is still a problem. The only thing practical/suitable for me would be to have a set up at home. I have a space (gym) I'm the process of building for my goals, but it's nowhere near finished. Once that's done, and I have a good weight set, I can simply walk 200ft and work my *** out.

Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    Here's a general rule, and I really, REALLY, REALLY hate going out on a limb with these BUT,
    For all core compound exercises, that's usually 3, think push, pull legs, NEVER do fewer than 2 work sets. They don't have to be the for the same number of reps, but never do fewer than 2. NEVER do more than 5 work sets with the same weight for the same number of reps. The sweat spot is 3 sets, same weight same number of reps or a mixed rep range doing the heavier weight lower rep set first.
    so that means 3x5 = acceptable. 5x5 = acceptable. 6x5 NO!
    1x5 + 1x10 and maybe 1x15 0r 1x5 + 1x15 = acceptable.
    1x15 + 1x10 + 1x5 = FORGETABOUTIT!
    All right I've just confused all of the nubes and pissed off all of the bodybuilders.....but the power lifters, olympic lifters and powerbuilders are smiling!
    Thanks Allpro.

For this routine, how come you chose 2 work sets per exercise if the sweet spot is 3 sets? Would 3 work sets be too much for such a routine and be counter productive?

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks Allpro.

For this routine, how come you chose 2 work sets per exercise if the sweet spot is 3 sets? Would 3 work sets be too much for such a routine and be counter productive?
    When this was tested 3 work sets 3x per week was causing lots of recovery issues even with the heavy, medium, light set up. But notice that I've told people that can only train twice per week to go with 3 work sets for the first 3 exercises and to do both work outs heavy. Notice what happens when people add extra exercises to soon? It's a very tough balancing act. But most importantly, what I posted above was more for people that aren't beginners anymore and are looking for something else.

Talking

Completely understandable.

First, I'll say be glad that you stumbled on this site / routine before you even began. I lifted for 2 years before doing it right. Imagine how annoyed I was when I realized how much time I had wasted?

Secondly, and it's possible that someone will correct me on this, but the majority of "strength" gain is in the sub-8 rep per set, hypertrophy (size) 8-12, and 12+ is more endurance exercise. If you can find body weight exercises that you can't do more than ~12 of, go for it. Dips and pull ups come to mind. You also mentioned having a little bit of weight, so perhaps investing in a pair of adjustable dumbbells would be fruitful -- you could do curls, bent over rows, overhead press, different shoulder raises, etc. for a bit. Once you max out whatever weight you have, though, your gains will stop.

Finally, as a raw beginner, you could see some newbie gains with strength while reducing body weight. Don't expect to maintain this though. As stated before, if you were a friend of mine that asked me for advice, I'd tell you to concentrate on dropping the weight (running sounds good) until you have the funds for weight. Throw in what exercises you can.

I was doing 25 reps of pushups for 5 sets during that 2 year time period -- check out my chest
    Yes, I am glad....thank you. With what little experience I've had weight lifting (college days), I can completely follow the logic in the programs. And, believe me, once I can get started I won't be changing anything about them.

Over a week ago, since I decided something needed to change in my lifestyle, when I started reading articles and threads on this site, I'd already decided that putting any of this into practice was not going to be something I'll do for only a couple of years or so. I'm not going to be a competing bodybuilder or athlete, either. It's something I want to do for the rest of my life and do it all in the most efficient way possible. Afterall, I don't want to spend all my time in the gym with minimal results and self defeating efforts. I have other things to do in life. That being said, with where I'm at physically, seems anything I can do right now will get me somewhere over where I'm at.....which isn't that bad. I'm the only one of my family not obese. Never have been. I've always stayed active and ate pretty well. A pancreatic attack at 18 and 4 days in the hospital will motivate you.... Since that incident, I've studied natural health, did some yoga, cycled, ran, lifted some weights....you get the idea. But, I'm the heaviest I've ever been. And, even though I don't know how much of that weight is dense muscle mass, I know I'm not where I want to be. Though, I can grab a double stack of 50lb feed sacks and sling into the Subaru no prob.

Anyway, I thought about your first reply and I'm thinking you advice is probably wisest for the moment. Meh...keep it simple, right? Focus on one thing at a time. The wood splitting and farm chores keep me pretty strong, so I'll just keep honing my diet and getting cellularly fit while I lose some of this dang fat. Enghh.....can't wait to get a weight set, though.

This site is quite the inspiration. Just what I've needed. I never thought getting 150-160g's of protein in a day would be so challenging, though....ha! Good thing I love to eat. And, I make all my own food. The health food store is right next door to the aforementioned gym and I work at a nutrition store = big supplement discount! Sometimes free, even. So, even though I don't have proper weights, I'm well on my way. This site has just really given me a proper direction to go with it all. Thanks to you ALL.

Later!

what I posted above was more for people that aren't beginners anymore and are looking for something else.
    sounds a lot like some of this... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135025731

Oh, one quick newb question before I sign off.......

What's the big deal/difference in iron weights over the plastic/cement variety? Although I know I've "felt" some difference between using the two, why not just the plastic variety on the budget? Aren't weights just weights? Isn't 30lbs 30lbs no matter what it's made of. IOW's, let's say next week I run across some P/C weights for free somehow. Why not just use them if I can acquire enough weight to make progressive gains with it?

Oh, one quick newb question before I sign off.......

What's the big deal/difference in iron weights over the plastic/cement variety? Although I know I've "felt" some difference between using the two, why not just the plastic variety on the budget? Aren't weights just weights? Isn't 30lbs 30lbs no matter what it's made of. IOW's, let's say next week I run across some P/C weights for free somehow. Why not just use them if I can acquire enough weight to make progressive gains with it?
    The plastic weights aren't as accurate as the iron ones. Some are better than others. But you can pick up second hand iron plates cheap. I don't have an olympic set in my home. It's all standard diameter and I have about 1100 pounds in iron plates. I only bought 300 pounds. Everything else I've picked up at the local dump! Amazing what people will throw out.

The plastic weights aren't as accurate as the iron ones. Some are better than others. But you can pick up second hand iron plates cheap. I don't have an olympic set in my home. It's all standard diameter and I have about 1100 pounds in iron plates. I only bought 300 pounds. Everything else I've picked up at the local dump! Amazing what people will throw out.
    Now, that's a dern good idea! I'll have to keep an eye out at the scrap metal yard in town.

What's the difference in an olympic set and "standard diameter"? Right now, there's a Gold's O-weight set w/300lbs + of weight and extras for $250/obo or barter on CL.....in my little town of Winslow, AR!!!!!!!! Bahh!

Well, I can certainly see where accurate weights would be desirable to anyone serious about lifting. I'd had some micro plates over the years. Somehow they've gotten lost in the midst of time. Oh well. There'll be more.
    Last edited by thook44; 11-23-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Now, that's a dern good idea! I'll have to keep an eye out at the scrap metal yard in town.

What's the difference in an olympic set and "standard diameter"? Right now, there's a Gold's O-weight set w/300lbs + of weight and extras for $250/obo or barter on CL.....in my little town of Winslow, AR!!!!!!!! Bahh!

Well, I can certainly see where accurate weights would be desirable to anyone serious about lifting. I'd had some micro plates over the years. Somehow they've gotten lost in the midst of time. Oh well. There'll be more.
    The olympic weights have a larger diameter, the bars are heavier, about 44 pounds compared to a standard bar's 10 pounds. The O bars can handle a lot more weight without snapping and the weights are aloud to spin independent of the bar so they can be a bit easier to hold on to. here's trick for that, don't pack the plates tight together on a standard bar and they will spin.
    On a side note, I've had well over 500 pounds loaded up in my squat rack on a standard bar and I've never snapped one. I've bent a few but they're cheap so who cares.

nuckbuc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nuckbuc View Post
    All pro,

I just completed my first cycle and I will be progressing in weight on all lifts except the bench press. The fourth week I was able to complete 11 reps on my first work set but only 9 on the second set, then completed the 12 reps on the first set of the last week but only 8 on the second set. My bench is already very weak and I am a complete newbie to weight training. I'm trying to bulk and add strength. I've read the stickies regarding diet and I count my calories and macros. I gained 6 lbs over the past 5 weeks so I know I'm in a surplus. Any ideas on what is holding me back on the bench press? I figured being new to weight training and eating right I shouldn't be stalling on my first cycle. I did a test week and started out with my 10 rep maximum. I've followed your program exactly, the only change I have made is I do two heavy work outs due to my schedule with 2, then 3 days rest between my workouts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey All Pro,

I just completed my 4th cycle and failed on bench press again. I have only moved up in weight once. I started at 97lb and am now at 107. If you see my first post regarding this I feel I am doing everything correctly. What else could be wrong? I have tried to make sure my form is good but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas on what else to do? The past two cycles at 107 I can get 12 reps on the first set and 10 on the second. I am just completely drained after the 10th rep and cannot get the 11th and 12th. Thanks again

Hey All Pro,

I just completed my 4th cycle and failed on bench press again. I have only moved up in weight once. I started at 97lb and am now at 107. If you see my first post regarding this I feel I am doing everything correctly. What else could be wrong? I have tried to make sure my form is good but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas on what else to do? Thanks again
    What does your diet look like? Calories per day? Percent Protein/Carb/Fat?

Hey All Pro,

I just completed my 4th cycle and failed on bench press again. I have only moved up in weight once. I started at 97lb and am now at 107. If you see my first post regarding this I feel I am doing everything correctly. What else could be wrong? I have tried to make sure my form is good but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas on what else to do? The past two cycles at 107 I can get 12 reps on the first set and 10 on the second. I am just completely drained after the 10th rep and cannot get the 11th and 12th. Thanks again
    Originally Posted by surfeatliftsurf View Post
    What does your diet look like? Calories per day? Percent Protein/Carb/Fat?
    I'm going to second this question. Also sleep and rest are important. Stalling out at such a low weight I'm going to look at those 3 factors before adding some shock therapy.

Closed Thread
Page 145 of 397 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 ... LastLast