Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    why in the world would you cut out all fat?
    years ago I did this for a stretch (before I worked with you) and man did my body suffer. Your contest prep article which described the 3 basic macro's and their function really opened my eyes. When I read that fat aids in testosterone production I quickly started tracking my fat intake and found is was very inadequate. I suggest everyone read that article, and I always do.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

Pro Natural Bodybuilder Spadaboom's Avatar
    Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is what my coach has asked me to do. I am not sure the logic behind it.

It sounds like you would not recommend this. Why? I do understand the importance of balance between Carbs fat and Protein butto get super shredded wouldnt fat have to be very low or almost non existent?

If I should be having fat would it be better to get it from salmon (although high in calories) or olive oil or natural peanut butter.

CSCS, CPT, WNBF Pro Cytrainer913's Avatar
    Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cytrainer913 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Spadaboom View Post

It sounds like you would not recommend this. Why? I do understand the importance of balance between Carbs fat and Protein butto get super shredded wouldnt fat have to be very low or almost non existent?

If I should be having fat would it be better to get it from salmon (although high in calories) or olive oil or natural peanut butter.

"When I read that fat aids in testosterone production I quickly started tracking my fat intake and found is was very inadequate. I suggest everyone read that article, and I always do."

Please read the article and you need these yes under control but not eliminated for just normla function and to maintain muscle through a diet, yes it will be blunted just a bit but don't make it worse.

Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spadaboom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I read over the article and it makes tons of sense. I never knew fat had a strong connection to testostore levels. I currently have incorporated around 40g of dietary fat in my diet. If you dont mind me asking, do you guys have a high fat meal the night before the show or only 2 hours before going on stage? (Also, do you try to keep suga down to a minimum during fat load, why?)

regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) regreb01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just gotta say thanks Layne. I just competed in a show today. I did my own 12 week prep. Last year I spent the money for a trainer, and ended up coming in flat on show day--very disappointed, and didn't place. Took matters into my own hands this time, and while researching all I needed to do for the final week, found your peak week. With it being very unorthodox in the ranks of the NPC, and me doing this on my own, gave it a shot. Everyone said it was the weirdest peak week they have heard of and they didn't get how i would come in shredded or dry. Well, I placed 3rd in the middleweight class today at a local level 2 NPC show. The winner of my class took overall at the show--it was a tough class, and placing top 3 was my goal. None the less, all my hard work and prep, along with following this great peak week blue print brought me in looking and feeling great. Everyone was depleated and feeling like crap, and I was just hanging out drinking water, eating a sub. Lol. The judges said if i had more leg mass at my height (5'11'')I would have probably taken the class too!! I will definately follow this peak week again!!

jjouria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Layne,

I have question regarding peak weak. When frontloading, you recommend not taking in more than 3x the amount of carbs during the prep. During my final week of prep, my carbs will be at 50 grams/day (low, but I am carb-sensitive). A couple of weeks ago, I tried a "practice" front load where I took in 325 grams of carbs (when i was doing 125 grams/day), brought protein down to bodyweight, and kept fats minimal at approx 15 grams. I looked good the next day, no spill-over, however - my weight loss went stagnant for the entire week, until i lowered carbs again the following week. My question - is this what I am looking to do the week of the contest, or should my fat loss continue until the day before the show? BTW, Im currently 180lbs and sitting right around 7%. I want to come in at 6% or less for my first show in 3 weeks.

Thank you!

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Spadaboom View Post

ok but if you are paying a coach why are you asking me questions about peaking?

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jjouria View Post
    Hi Layne,

I have question regarding peak weak. When frontloading, you recommend not taking in more than 3x the amount of carbs during the prep. During my final week of prep, my carbs will be at 50 grams/day (low, but I am carb-sensitive). A couple of weeks ago, I tried a "practice" front load where I took in 325 grams of carbs (when i was doing 125 grams/day), brought protein down to bodyweight, and kept fats minimal at approx 15 grams. I looked good the next day, no spill-over, however - my weight loss went stagnant for the entire week, until i lowered carbs again the following week. My question - is this what I am looking to do the week of the contest, or should my fat loss continue until the day before the show? BTW, Im currently 180lbs and sitting right around 7%. I want to come in at 6% or less for my first show in 3 weeks.

Thank you!

it's just a rough guide. 3x is not a 'set' number, it's just a rough guide and of course there will always be outliers there

smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does anyone have any comments on nicotine during peak week?

I use smokeless tobacco ...

Thanks
    PROVE IT TO THE PERSON IN THE MIRROR!

Link to 1 Year Contest Prep with Alex A.!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127818453

Link to AAEFX K-OTIC Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128457351

Twitter Username: PapaSmitch

ok but if you are paying a coach why are you asking me questions about peaking?
    Fair enough.

i'm not trying to be a jerk, just doesn't make sense to me

i'm not trying to be a jerk, just doesn't make sense to me
    I respect what you have done and you obviously know what you are talking about. With this I wanted to hear your thoughts.

I was just interested thats all. I don't think you're a jerk it makes sense.

smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smflorence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Layne

Regarding sodium, I know you are not a fan of cutting sodium out. It's Wednesday and I have not salted my foods. I'm not eating boiled chicken and drinking distiller water either. My question is: by simply not salting food, technically decreasing sodium am I setting myself up to screw up badly?
    PROVE IT TO THE PERSON IN THE MIRROR!

Link to 1 Year Contest Prep with Alex A.!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127818453

Link to AAEFX K-OTIC Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128457351

Twitter Username: PapaSmitch

stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have been carb cycling every other day and my high days are 250p/90c/45f. I'm just a bit torn as to what approach I should use since I've only been taking in carb sources every other day. Front load was suggested from several of the guys, but what numbers do you think would be acceptable?

90g is your high day?

Originally Posted by smflorence View Post
    Layne

Regarding sodium, I know you are not a fan of cutting sodium out. It's Wednesday and I have not salted my foods. I'm not eating boiled chicken and drinking distiller water either. My question is: by simply not salting food, technically decreasing sodium am I setting myself up to screw up badly?
    with respect, as expressed above, I do not like commenting on protocols from other coaches. It seems you are working with Alex, and thus I would be asking him.

regards

stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    90g is your high day?
    Correct. 90 is my high day right now.

how long have you been that low? what was your highest in the offseason?

I was doing around 90 every day with a refeed every fourth day and then about 2 weeks ago started cycling to carb sources every other day coming from sweet potatoes and oats. Before I started this prep in july I was at 230p/225c/50f

so you have an extremely slow metabolism. have you always been like that?

so you have an extremely slow metabolism. have you always been like that?
    Actually I used to have an extremely fast metabolism eating whatever I wanted, but I was also inexperienced with nutrition. I'm going to have some metabolism repair to do post contest for sure. I did do a prep earlier in the year and didn't want to raise my numbers too high in order to keep my bf at a reasonable level for this prep.

how long have you been dieting in total and what were your numbers before you started the first diet

Registered User JanesLastResort's Avatar
    JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've heard to drop cardio 2-4 days pre-contest. During my peak week before i drop cardio should i be doing HIIT or lower insenity cardio? How detrimental would cardio be for how i peak?

Peak week is drawing dangerously near and i just don't want to mess it up!
    lófasz

Originally Posted by JanesLastResort View Post
    I've heard to drop cardio 2-4 days pre-contest. During my peak week before i drop cardio should i be doing HIIT or lower insenity cardio? How detrimental would cardio be for how i peak?

Peak week is drawing dangerously near and i just don't want to mess it up!
    Please see my peak week video series

Registered User JanesLastResort's Avatar
    JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000) JanesLastResort is a name known to all. (+5000)
    **** sorry i was going to watch it a few weeks ago, but forgot all about it. Going to watch it right now.
    lófasz

JordanYeoh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Black Coffee

I am preparing my very first show coming on 28 Oct.

Quick question... I am wondering is it fine to drink black coffee during my peak week? I've heard there's natural diuretic effect in black coffee, in return does black coffee exacerbates the effect like taking a diuretic supplement? Appreciate your reply Layne.

do you typically drink coffee each day?

Stopped drinking for almost a month. Because I took 2-3 caps of Oxyelite Pro everyday for the past 3 weeks. Removing it from today onwards (7 days prior to the show) because of Reuwolscine (Yohimbe?) In my scenario, now is it a good idea to drink black coffee on peak week?

this close i would not add it back in

Noted! Thanks layne!

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast