swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000)

Why I weightlift

Today, another staff member at my workplace asked me why I lifted weights in the gym. I think she was just interested, but it made me re-consider and analyse my motivations for weightlifting and how it has changed over the years.

When I first started a few decades ago as a 14 year old, my goal was to get the big biceps that would attract all the girls. Over the following few years, my workouts started incorporating more than just bicep curls as I started training more specifically for the competitive sports I was playing.

During my late 20s, my competitive sport started disappearing, while my wife, kids, work, education and life in general took over. My weightlifting also became spasmodic. I never really completely stopped, but I felt that I didn't really have a reason to do it anymore. Then, during my early 30s, I realised that I was getting unfit, so I started weight lifting again as part of an overall fitness campaign.

However, it was only today that I realised that my reasons and motivations have changed from lifting weights for a secondary purpose (such as impressing the girls, sports, fitness etc) to now lifting weights because I enjoy the actual activity. Weight lifting is now something I do for myself because I actually like the process in and of itself.

Weight lifting has now become something I do as an integral component of my life, and not just as a mechanism to achieve a certain outcome. And, as a consequence, I can't see me ever quitting lifting weights, as the activity has supplanted the goal. Its now part of my lifestyle. It is important to make the time to do things that you like, and weightlifting is one of those things.

Its taken me a long time to get to this point and understand it, but I enjoy lifting weights. And that's why I weightlift.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by swark View Post
    When I first started a few decades ago as a 14 year old, my goal was to get the big biceps that would attract all the girls. Over the following few years, my workouts started incorporating more than just bicep curls as I started training more specifically for the competitive sports I was playing.
    Did I read that wrong or did you really only do bicep curls for years?

Seriously?

Its taken me a long time to get to this point and understand it, but I enjoy lifting weights. And that's why I weightlift.
    OK then..........

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000) swark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You didn't read it wrong, I just worded it badly. When I first started as a youngster, I remember doing a workout that had a multitude of bicep and chest exercises and not much else. Luckily, that didn't last for years though.

My point, and I accept I probably didn't get this across particularly well in the original post, is that my focus has changed from the destination to the journey. Previously, I worked towards specific goals, and the lifting of weights was merely the means to that end. Whereas now, I recognised that I enjoy the activity itself, rather than simply the outcomes (although they are worthwhile of course). It was only today that I actually took the time to think this through, and identify the change in my motivations over the years.

I never said I was a quick thinker .....

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you worded it quite nicely. Thanks for sharing. We all have different motivations that bring us to the sport and like all things in life, they change.

David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice OP. It sounds like maturity creeping in.

As you, my goals have changed over the years with lifting. Even though I have specific strength aspirations in the short term, my primary goal is healthy longevity.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    However, it was only today that I realised that my reasons and motivations have changed from lifting weights for a secondary purpose (such as impressing the girls, sports, fitness etc) to now lifting weights because I enjoy the actual activity. Weight lifting is now something I do for myself because I actually like the process in and of itself.

Weight lifting has now become something I do as an integral component of my life, and not just as a mechanism to achieve a certain outcome. And, as a consequence, I can't see me ever quitting lifting weights, as the activity has supplanted the goal. Its now part of my lifestyle.
    good gracious my man, you have discovered the truth!! you have now reached nirvana, no bull.....

I have been where you are at now, for many many years, and when you have reached that frame of mind, all other considerations are meaningless.....

the play, has now, become the thing.....

doing it, and living it, are the enjoyment.......

with this in mind, I WON'T expect silly posts from you as in: typical: "how come I had a bad day lifting today" or " I am not lifting more in my bench lately" or " my arms are not growing enough" etc and so on.......

when you reach the state of mind that YOU have, such questions are never necessary: as , you are in such a happy state of what you are doing, that ANY progress of any sort, no matter how slow it comes, is wonderful because there are no time constrictions or goal constrictions or other self made negative thought barriers...

there is only FUN!!

keep it up!!

tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10) tsefa is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink

well said, I have always been fit, lucky with fantastic genes, until 3 years ago. I did nit like what I saw, and I could was starting to not be able to keep up with my daughter, she is now 5. So of to the gym I went, and It has turned into a part of my live without me really realizing it.
    But, I feel great, stronger, and have tons of energy for my daughter. as they say, life is good,

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    good gracious my man, you have discovered the truth!! you have now reached nirvana, no bull.....

I have been where you are at now, for many many years, and when you have reached that frame of mind, all other considerations are meaningless.....

the play, has now, become the thing.....

doing it, and living it, are the enjoyment.......

with this in mind, I WON'T expect silly posts from you as in: typical: "how come I had a bad day lifting today" or " I am not lifting more in my bench lately" or " my arms are not growing enough" etc and so on.......

when you reach the state of mind that YOU have, such questions are never necessary: as , you are in such a happy state of what you are doing, that ANY progress of any sort, no matter how slow it comes, is wonderful because there are no time constrictions or goal constrictions or other self made negative thought barriers...

there is only FUN!!

keep it up!!
    Thanks to everyone for their input and comments.

John has, as usual, nailed it. I hadn't thought about it prior to his post, but I haven't had a 'bad' workout for a few years now. I have lots of sessions where I don't necessarily achieve what I set out to do, but I can't remember not enjoying what I was doing (except for a torn calf muscle). However, when I was younger I remember lots of sessions where I had 'bad' workouts and was really frustrated with failing to lift a certain weight, reach a set rep range etc. My reason for doing it has changed, and therefore my definition of a 'bad' workout has changed as well.

The actual activity is now the joy, rather than being a trial to endure in order to reach an outcome. And because of that, I enjoy it every time I go to the gym.

socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good posts OP

Oh, and that John guy had a pretty good post too

djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome to the next phase of your weightlifting life!!!

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Weight lifting has now become something I do as an integral component of my life, and not just as a mechanism to achieve a certain outcome. And, as a consequence, I can't see me ever quitting lifting weights, as the activity has supplanted the goal. Its now part of my lifestyle. It is important to make the time to do things that you like, and weightlifting is one of those things.
    Well stated.
    I share the same thoughts about weight training. As I get older I'm experiencing the benefits from the activity.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    great post i feel wat u feel, im in it for life amd im getting better at it. i cant wait to w/o..im also glad i found this inspirational and informative site

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why I weightlift
    I lift weights because I like being big and strong.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I train with weights because I don't want to be like "them".
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better!"

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. -A. R. Bernard

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places."
    Ernest Hemingway - "A Farewell to Arms"

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Really good post and thread.

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I lift weights because I like being big and strong.
    And it is obviously working!

Everyone has different and legitimate reasons for starting to lift weights. However, I believe that the reason people quit is that the initial motivation is no longer a sufficient incentive to push themselves to go to the gym consistently.

I've found it interesting to evaluate how my own motivations have changed over the years, and, because of this, I have continued to lift. If I was still operating with the same mindset I had as a 14 year old, a 20 year old or even a 32 year old, I would have stopped.

Its not something that I have consciously done, but rather it has evolved over a period of time. It will be an interesting part of the journey to see how things transpire over the next decade or so. As life circumstances change, my motivations may well change again.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    And it is obviously working!
    It's starting to. Looking back, for a long time, I didn't know what I was doing, and I made all the typical mistakes that I see people here making. I'd say, it's only been for the last 3 years or so that I actually gotten things right and made good progress.

Everyone has different and legitimate reasons for starting to lift weights. However, I believe that the reason people quit is that the initial motivation is no longer a sufficient incentive to push themselves to go to the gym consistently.
    Sure, and usually it's because they aren't making progress. I think it's harder than most people think to make progress over the long term. They're excited and motivated at the beginning because they initially make beginner gains, but that quickly comes to an end without proper training. That's when a lot of people quit.

I've found it interesting to evaluate how my own motivations have changed over the years, and, because of this, I have continued to lift. If I was still operating with the same mindset I had as a 14 year old, a 20 year old or even a 32 year old, I would have stopped.
    Yeah, I understand. About 3 years ago, I basically did some self evaluation about why I was lifting weights, and that's what brought about a lot of growth in my understanding of how to train, and exactly how much effort is really required ( I eat and train quite a bit different now, lol ).

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Looking back, for a long time, I didn't know what I was doing, and I made all the typical mistakes that I see people here making. I'd say, it's only been for the last 3 years or so that I actually gotten things right and made good progress.

Yeah, I understand. About 3 years ago, I basically did some self evaluation about why I was lifting weights, and that's what brought about a lot of growth in my understanding of how to train, and exactly how much effort is really required ( I eat and train quite a bit different now, lol ).
    Mate, there some really good insights in there. A lot of us say the same thing "If only I knew then what I know now, I would be much bigger/stronger/fitter etc". But your post has got me thinking whether it is entirely true or not. Certainly it is logical for things such as diet, but I wonder whether it applies quite as clearly in how we train.

Do we need to go through the process of learning what works for us (which is different for each individual), rather than simply being able to jump straight to the end product? Without the process of trial & error, and gaining experience over a period of years, I wonder if what works now wouldn't have been as effective back then anyway. As we age, different exercises and different modalities of work may be more efficacious than when we were younger.

I wonder if what works now wouldn't have been as effective back then anyway. As we age, different exercises and different modalities of work may be more efficacious than when we were younger.

I don't think so. When I wasn't making progress, my training was more "advanced", full of isolation work, working everything separately from all the different angles, (bla bla bla), etc. But now I pretty much train like a beginner with the addition of one day a week training strongman events ( clean and pressing logs and axles, farmers walks, truck push/pull, tire flips, atlas stones ). Personally, I don't think age matters all that much in terms of how to train, I just had it wrong for a long time.

alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I realised that my reasons and motivations have changed from lifting weights for a secondary purpose (such as impressing the girls, sports, fitness etc) to now lifting weights because I enjoy the actual activity. Weight lifting is now something I do for myself because I actually like the process in and of itself.
    Well said.

I feel the same way.

It takes discipline and hard work to get to this point and I think all new lifters should be aiming for this feeling.
    Taking the "less is more" approach to cardio...

Registered User GhostAvenger620's Avatar
    GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GhostAvenger620 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP those are great reasons.

But as for me, I just workout because I'm pissed off most of the time....

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice progression OP, congrats. I am proud of my decades of dedication but mostly now as I approach 70, I am overwhelmed with the health advantages I enjoy vis a vis the other 85,000 retirees here in this "Disneyworld for Adults" I live in. Fortunately successful training required commitment to other healthful components such as diet, rest, aerobics. Now as they discuss their splints, stints, knee replacements, crippling back problems etc I thank the Iron Gods for the health benefits they have blessed me with. There is perhaps also a reversion to some long ago motivations which reoccur and now also drive me onward. Firstly since COPD and Cancer took my wife last year, I had to re-enter the dating game (yes Old Farts do date LOL) and looking fit helped me stand out enough to find a great new like-minded significant other who now fills my life. Thus once again, my training had taken on a dating motivation. In my middle years my training had been motivated partly by my desire to lead my two sons into a healthy lifestyle. Now I once again am driven by a strong desire to lead all the seniors I meet/know here to a healthy lifestyle by the strongest example I can summon. Dating & Teaching to Lifestyle to Dating & Teaching once again so to speak.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

Where do we go now....... erikjh's Avatar
    erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000)
    nice thread.

for me i was 21 and wanted to be like Arnold or some version of that, but being 130 lbs it didnt take long to figure out that wasnt going to happen. but i stuck with it, then at 30 i got a job in the prison so i wanted get bigger and really started taking it serious.

now its just part of my life that i love doing.

rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Did I read that wrong or did you really only do bicep curls for years?

Seriously?

OK then..........

-=FLEX=-
    I did only biceps curls for a long time too. I thought they were all I needed. Until I hit my late 40s and found this site, I didn't realize that other body parts needed to be worked. I just didn't know. I was in good shape because I played basketball and because my job included a lot of walking. But I wasted years due to ignorance. It does happen.

It should come as no surprise that biceps curls, being the glory-boy exercise they are, would be the exercise that the uninitiated would be drawn to, and that they'd be the only excerise they think would be needed.

Originally Posted by GhostAvenger620 View Post
    OP those are great reasons.

But as for me, I just workout because I'm pissed off most of the time....
    When I read this the first time, I thought you said you worked out whenever you were pissed (i.e. drunk). I had some really funny mental images about the balance problems in trying to do squats or overhead presses when you were a touch inebriated

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do weight lifting because I too enjoy the actual activity,and above all enjoy watching myself get stronger.
    I also resist the temptation to deviate into bodybuilding that's why I have not curled a weight once since I got back in a year and a half ago.
    So obviously I also enjoy the changes in my physique but it's not what motivates me.
    I also did try to weight lift for muscle when I was a lot younger, ended in tears with injury.
    However, the most important aspect of this activity in my life is that it helps me maintain my mental health.
    I absolutely need to go to the gym and release energy, I get out calmer and able to maintain my lifestyle and meet my job and family obligations.
    Being a pharmacist I sell a lot of neurological drugs, to a very wide range of ages, including unfortunately a lot of youngsters.
    I strongly believe that most of them would not be taking them if they were engaged is some sporting activity such as weight lifting or swimming.
    There's also the housekeeping wives who spend all their life in the house, taking it all in and trying to find cure in addictive anti anxiety drugs.
    No one but the very old, ill and dying need those, it's a travesty but I can only do so much to help.
    The benefits of exercise are immense to one's life but exercise is not to everyone's taste, you have to love it to do it.
    I consider myself lucky in this respect.

jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmcginn13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've had a change in perspective for weight lifting recently. Before I always saw it as exercising or training, but ever since I started doing mostly free weight barbell exercises, I actually view it more as an athletic endeavor. This has really helped me stay motivated. I have never had a hard time staying motivated to play sports, but I have had a hard time "exercising". Now that I feel like weight lifting is more sport/skill than exercise its much easier to stay motivated.

concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concorde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I started @ 30 y.o.

I'd played soccer for years and also rowed crew in college. Great workouts but I never lifted weights( and actually swore I never be caught in a gym).

Basically was doing some work in my yard on my 28th bday, spent the day sweating in the June sun, finished, stepped inside for a drink and playing some PS2 and felt an odd searing pain in my lower back. Dealt with it intermittently for 1.5 years with chiro, then saw a gym opening up and joined when it opened and incidentally when my wife was now pregnant with our first child.

Made it my goal to now get fit for my son for life. Now Im at my weight in high school and I love lifting. I see patients in a busy office and so its also great stress relief. And it's done wonders for our sex life as well.