Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Does a college degree = only way to success?

I took a year off from school, and I am trying to decide how I want to take my life, for whatever reason, I could never seem to 'get into' college, it's not laziness, almost as if I don't belong. I have always prefer working with my hands, I have a job now which I get to use my pickup, and I absolutely love working out of my truck, doing skilled labor.

Fast forward to present day, you see tons of people with degrees who can't find work, although I attribute that to the poor economy, I still think society brainwashes us to the point where "If you don't get a degree, you WILL fail in life". We had colleges pushed on us from the 10th grade, telling us, you need a degree or you will fail.

It's hard for me to sit here and actually take people seriously who say college = the only way to be successful, when I've seen and known people who are blue collar skilled tradesmen, making 100k+ a year.

Just the other day I spoke to a welder, he pulled in 200,000 last year, granted there isn't any sort of retirement in a skill labor position unless you own your company, but when you make that much, saving for your own retirement isn't out of the question.

Anywhoo, I am not ragging on anyone who went to college/is seeking college, as it's just a different life choice, I just wanted to hear peoples thoughts/stories on whether you believe college = only way to success. Reps for some good discussion

Bodymore, Murderland. YARDGORILLA's Avatar
    YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Anyone asking the misc for advice on something like this is bound to FAIL IRL.
    Gay Friendly(no homo)-/Black Friendly(no racist)-/Hick Friendly(no inbred)
    "It all began in Afrika"

everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A welder making 200k a year?

LOL

DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DieselRobert1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by everblue View Post
    A welder making 200k a year?

LOL
    Guessing he was lying, I guess only a bachelor's degree pulls that kind of cash in? /rolleyes

NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) NeggerPlz is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    BAHAHAHA. I knew it

Aren't you one of those staunch conservatives?

That explains it all

tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50) tovis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a degree and feel I'm doing better, but I also have student loans and debt from college. Sometimes I wonder if it was really worth it. I do feel more respected with a 4 year degree in the industries I've worked in.

I think it really depends on what you want to go into. Skilled trade is good, I don't know about your state, but here in Michigan a lot of those jobs are hard to come by but so are jobs for people with degrees.

Originally Posted by NissanRob View Post
    I took a year off from school, and I am trying to decide how I want to take my life, for whatever reason, I could never seem to 'get into' college, it's not laziness, almost as if I don't belong. I have always prefer working with my hands, I have a job now which I get to use my pickup, and I absolutely love working out of my truck, doing skilled labor.

Fast forward to present day, you see tons of people with degrees who can't find work, although I attribute that to the poor economy, I still think society brainwashes us to the point where "If you don't get a degree, you WILL fail in life". We had colleges pushed on us from the 10th grade, telling us, you need a degree or you will fail.

It's hard for me to sit here and actually take people seriously who say college = the only way to be successful, when I've seen and known people who are blue collar skilled tradesmen, making 100k+ a year.

Just the other day I spoke to a welder, he pulled in 200,000 last year, granted there isn't any sort of retirement in a skill labor position unless you own your company, but when you make that much, saving for your own retirement isn't out of the question.

Anywhoo, I am not ragging on anyone who went to college/is seeking college, as it's just a different life choice, I just wanted to hear peoples thoughts/stories on whether you believe college = only way to success. Reps for some good discussion
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129727633

Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500) Hulkamaniabrah is not very helpful. (-500)
    Could start out shovelling **** and become the ceo of **** shovelling worldwide plc.

Having a degree just means you're more likely to live a 'comfortable' life, nice holiday once or twice a year, new car every 3 years etc etc
    ^^^()()GERMANIC CREW()()^^^

()Balding Crew()

$Pale Crew$

*Ugly Crew*

^^Slightly Below Average Height Crew^^

Originally Posted by tovis View Post
    I have a degree and feel I'm doing better, but I also have student loans and debt from college. Sometimes I wonder if it was really worth it. I do feel more respected with a 4 year degree in the industries I've worked in.

I think it really depends on what you want to go into. Skilled trade is good, I don't know about your state, but here in Michigan a lot of those jobs are hard to come by but so are jobs for people with degrees.
    Appreciate the input, looks like the misc still has some good people in it.

YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000) YARDGORILLA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NeggerPlz View Post
    BAHAHAHA. I knew it

That explains it all
    Coming from the Putz in a tie?

LULZ
    "It all began in Afrika"

Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You wont necessarily fail in life without a college degree. The only way you will do good in life without a college degree is if you know how to run your own business.

However there is no way you can climb the corporate ladder WITHOUT a degree. If all your skills are well, the company will tell you (sometimes fund you) to get a degree to climb the ladder.

Its worth it to be honest. 4 Years of your life can change your life drastically in the future. It will help you academically and also socially.

Oh and to make it to the top top, you definitely need an MBA(for business students).
    Last edited by Skyline89; 01-03-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    -Misc Cologne Crew-

Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000)

Of course college isn't the only way to be successful. And what about no retirement for a welder? One of my best friends dad is a welder. He has a full pension, 401k all that stuff.
    "Adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it."

Think about what you want in life. Then ask yourself what you're doing to achieve it.

JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    These days you need to spend 8 years in college and that doesn't even guarantee success.

Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aberg90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

both are multibillionaires
    neither one has a college degree

/thread

Originally Posted by NeggerPlz View Post
    BAHAHAHA. I knew it

That explains it all
    Pretty conservative, I just don't feel pushing college on people is the appropriate answer, when college isn't for everyone. See the college tuition bubble, defaulting on loans because they can't hack school, or not being able to get a job when they were 'promised' a degree would get them in.

Working at starbucks paying back 50,000 dollar student loans works real well.

Originally Posted by Cell-Tech View Post
    Of course college isn't the only way to be successful. And what about no retirement for a welder? One of my best friends dad is a welder. He has a full pension, 401k all that stuff.
    that's what this welder told me, as he isn't union, so he doesn't reap the union healthcare, pension (believe the pension is from the union) etc

Originally Posted by Aberg90 View Post

both are multibillionaires

/thread
    Exactly.

(and I have some letters to my name)
    "It all began in Afrika"

mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lots of the big unions have amazing retirement and benefits packages

I'm going into electrical myself, at one point I was in college for computer programming and I was pretty good at it, but pretty sure I'll make more money as an electrician then I would have as a programmer.

That said you have to be comfortable working in rough environments, its not for everyone. Some days its -35c outside, windy as hell and you need to work in the cold.

Other reasons I want to get into trades - learn more about building houses and buildings in general, eventually invest in properties, fix them up, own them, rent them and/or flip them. Thats a much more viable option when you're friends with lots of contractors. Spend 10 years wiring houses eventually you work with framers, foundation layers, masons etc and pick up a few tips along the way.

The other reason is I feel its easier to start a business, get 1-2 employees, find jobs (hard part), a van with tools, 5-10 years experience and its pretty viable to start a small business.

iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000) iLoLd is just really nice. (+1000)
    Guessing he was lying, I guess only a bachelor's degree pulls that kind of cash in? /rolleyes
    dude i guarantee he is lieing, i remember having long discussions on salarys etc, by a welder who used to do random contracts for welding all overseas and worked on those massive transport vessels, 200k is unheard of for a welder.

everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A bachelors degree would never make that much. Would require either an md, do, phd, mba, or a **** ton of good luck being an entrepreneur to make 200k+.

i like how you ninja edited.

oil rig welders make $42k a year and they still require certification/education higher than high school

http://www.oil-rig-job.com/jobs-welder.html

bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i took welding at a local jvs and skilled trade is a good field. and i call bs about no retirement, have u seen the benifits for getting in a trade union? i almost joined the ironworkers union and starting pay was like $12 but if u included the benefits and and pension is came out to like 22/hr. i turned them down because i decided i wanted to do college first because ik if i started with them i would prolly never have the motivation to ever go. the way i look at it is once i get my 4yr degree and cant find a job i could always go back to welding, but not going to college ur just stuck in that field.

Originally Posted by Aberg90 View Post
    [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Mark_Zuckerberg_-_South_by_Southwest_2008_-_2-crop.jpg/200px-Mark_Zuckerberg_-_South_by_Southwest_2008_-_2-crop.jpg
    [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Bill_Gates_in_WEF_%2C2007.jpg

/thread
    2 out of 307,000,000

i like these odds....

Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Internexus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's a separate walk in life really, majority of people without a degree do make less, however there are always those few that KNOW what they are doing or how to work with something and make a quality living. It just depends on what you plan to do with your life really, obviously if you plan to be a doctor you are kinda screwed without a degree... On another flipside I think that in due time the job market is going to basically be set that in order to be hired for the most basic jobs (not fast food/retail) you will need at least an undergrad degree. With countries like India having more people with degrees than America has children, it's only a matter of time before we are flooded with these individuals setting standards in our country as they are constantly immigrating..
    Military Crew
    Misc Firearms Crew

Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Lets put it this way. There is a polling group called Gallup that everyone trusts because they were within 5% of the margin of error (and the closest) when its came to the presidential elections. They recently revealed that the unemployment rate for college graduates is around 4% (the rate we had back in 1999), for people with just a HS diploma, it was around 13%

SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SD500 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ITT: People with degrees say yes, while people without degrees say no.

However, like a previous poster said. It is much more difficult to climb the corporate ladder without a degree, than it is with a degree.
    It's when you lose hope for tommorow, that you have lost hope for today.

I was fat... lost weight... got buff... then I got fat.

A bachelors degree would never make that much. Would require either an md, do, phd, mba, or a **** ton of good luck being an entrepreneur to make 200k+.

oil rig welders make $42k a year and they still require certification/education higher than high school

I edited because I know I don't know about the industry I am just going off what he told me, I don't know the particulars, but do a bit of googling, any variation of 'wealth in welding' or w/e, and you will see there is money to be had. I had no reason to not believe the welder with a spanking new 3500HD duramax diesel welding rig. I don't know about you, but I can't drop 60,000 on a truck that costs around 100+ an oil change, a long with 100 dollar diesel fuel bills.

thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000) thickwall is a complete loser! (-2000)

sounds like a cry for help

m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500) m.djemal is not very helpful. (-500)
    Nope. YOU = ONLY WAY TO SUCCESS.
    Quit your jibba jabba

irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000) irishbarry is just really nice. (+1000)
    i make 100 g's a year, no college degree

union pipefitter ftw, u mad?
    <<<***Boston misc crew***>>>

Originally Posted by SD500 View Post
    ITT: People with degrees say yes, while people without degrees say no.

However, like a previous poster said. It is much more difficult to climb the corporate ladder without a degree, than it is with a degree.
    Success is a subjective word, it is in the eye of the beholder. To one, success may mean living on their own without parents help and owning a car while making $35k/year. To some success may mean "CEO'n 10k a day" living in a million dollar home, driving a bentley.

mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000)

you cant just post a job from one oil rig and say they all make 42k/year

it vastly depends on your experience, where you live, who you work for etc.

i would spit on that particular job, what a piece of crap.

i have no problem believing on a great year, an experienced 10-15+ year welder managed to pull 200k

Success is a subjective word, it is in the eye of the beholder. To one, success may mean living on their own without parents help and owning a car while making $35k/year. To some success may mean "CEO'n 10k a day" living in a million dollar home, driving a bentley.
    A dollar is much to a homeless person......................
    "It all began in Afrika"