tripact has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Desparate ectomorph delt development--side laterals

Cannot get any real results from side laterals (5 months). I admit my eating has not been at full mass development, but all else is growing (although slowly). My side delts ar as meager as ever, and desperatly need advice from other 6"1', long armed ectos. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tripact View Post
    Cannot get any real results from side laterals (5 months). I admit my eating has not been at full mass development, but all else is growing (although slowly). My side delts ar as meager as ever, and desperatly need advice from other 6"1', long armed ectos. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Long arms is not a disadvantage to building side delts. Long arms would be a disadvantage in side delt STRENGTH demonstration.

In fact, from observation, some of the most disproportionally huge side delts have belonged to some very long armed bodybuilders and athletes (boxers-Thomas Hearns, basketball players etc).

I suspect you are using too much weight and/or too low reps.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^I disagree that higher reps is what's needed.

First off, you need to get your nutrition in check if you want to grow. You should be eating food or drinking a shake once every two-three hours, mutlivitamin, lean meats, good carbs (lots of them), and veggies.

Second, you should lift heavy with 8-10 reps for only 2-3 sets per excersize. IMO, any higher reps and your body will start using up the extra nutrients it needs to grow muscle. Plus, limit your workouts to 30mins, 45mins, maximum. Again, this is under the theory that you want to burn off the least amount of nutrients as possible.

Excersizes I would recommend for shoulders:

Military Press
    Arnold Presses
    Bent over or laying (laying on your stomach) Flys

I'm not saying side laterals aren't a good excersize. However, I believe that for size, focus on the three referenced above to begin with.

spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spider28 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 289Falcon View Post
    ^^^I disagree that higher reps is what's needed.

First off, you need to get your nutrition in check if you want to grow. You should be eating food or drinking a shake once every two-three hours, mutlivitamin, lean meats, good carbs (lots of them), and veggies.

Second, you should lift heavy with 8-10 reps for only 2-3 sets per excersize. IMO, any higher reps and your body will start using up the extra nutrients it needs to grow muscle. Plus, limit your workouts to 30mins, 45mins, maximum. Again, this is under the theory that you want to burn off the least amount of nutrients as possible.

Excersizes I would recommend for shoulders:

Military Press
    Arnold Presses
    Bent over or laying (laying on your stomach) Flys

I'm not saying side laterals aren't a good excersize. However, I believe that for size, focus on the three referenced above to begin with.
    i disagree, sure going heavy for presses with lower reps is probably better for most but with side laterals a lighter weight is required so that the side delt is the muscle doing most of the work, if you go heavy stronger muscles take over and the side delt is less isolated, but agree with you on the nutrition end of things
    if i was a spartan they would of fuked me off the cliff as a newborn!
    i blame my parents for my ****ty genetics!!!!!!!

berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I get much better results with high rep laterals. I think going much lower than 10 hard reps will just be bad form because the weight is too high. Lower the weight and it's easier to keep the traps out of the exercise.

OP, give leaning side laterals a try.

splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) splutty1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by spider28 View Post
    if you go heavy stronger muscles take over and the side delt is less isolated, but agree with you on the nutrition end of things
    I agree with him, I just did higher weight, less reps first time yesterday for shoulders and today I have pain in my right pec I believe is a result from too much weight on lateral raises. So if you do go heavier make sure it is weight you can handle.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 175lbs
    Goal: 210lbs

tripact has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ecto desparate for delts

You've all provided diverse and helpful advice which I will use--especially the isolating of the side delt to deny the traps. Two more if you guys don't mind: do seated laterals isolate better than standing? And should my elbows be ONLY slightly bent and leaninf forward?

Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you overhead pressing?

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Coming from an ecto, i would say i have seen the best development of width to my frame in the last couple of years is definately dumbell side raises and lying dumbell side raises, i did these with mediocre form and heavy weight for a while and nothing was happening until a wise man told me to lower what i was doing by 40% , i did this for next few months and had flawless form im talking like 15lbs side raises down from 30! My side delts began to grow a lot! plus i was eating lots too.

However for heavy compound work to the shoulders like miltary presses etc i go real heavy like 6-8 reps heavy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~