Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)

The two major types of clients and how to train them

This thread is about a revelation that occured to me. It is the two major types of clients and how to train them, in a nutshell.

Group 1: The Performance Oriented Crowd
    Includes Pro Athletes, aspiring athletes, or dedicated recreational trainees

How to train them in a nutshell:
    "Just get em' strong"

Group 2: The Health/Aesthetics/No-clue-what-they-want crowd (i.e. everyone who doesn't fall into group 1)

Includes housewives, coach potatoes, the terminally obese, weekend warriors, 99.8% of women, seniors, and all the types of people who usually buy personal training.

"Just get em' lean and ripped"

You train the first group like powerlifters and the second group like bodybuilders.

That is all you have to do to be a successful trainer. This is my revelation.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 11-17-2008 at 12:09 AM.

timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50) timlaroche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Elaborate, please
    Lift, sleep... wait; Rest, Train and... Sleep, Eat and ****, no wait... Repeat, eat and train, sleep repeat and eat??? repreat sleat and trift? LEAT SLIFT REPRAIN!!!!???

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    On what, specifically?

dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How should I train a frail 70 year old woman that is looking to improve strength and balance so she can perform ADLs without falling?
    Professional Fitness Trainer
    MS, NASM, NFPT

Originally Posted by dshinton View Post
    How should I train a frail 70 year old woman that is looking to improve strength and balance so she can perform ADLs without falling?
    All you have to do is get granny lean and ripped.

P.S. ADL = Anti-Defamation League?

But seriously, personal trainers aren't supposed to be doctors or physical therapists. There are no achievements to be made in working with those types of clients.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 11-17-2008 at 02:00 PM.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Al Shades View Post
    Just get her lean and ripped.

ADL = Anti-Defamation League?
    Activities of daily living.

If you don't want to use machines, I suggest using resistance bands. You literally can have her practice going up and down flights of stairs, getting in and out of her chair, and putting on her coat. Just having her do it repeatedly would be enough to get her stronger and more flexible.
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

Yeah, I like bands. They're really versatile. I'm about to order a set for myself.

3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000)
    resistance bands and a wobble board. improves strength and balance. i think if anything balance is the most important. keeps her from falling and breakin ****.
    BA, IFPA, ACE, NSCA CPT, NASM and now --->CSCS<---- woot!

dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    But seriously, personal trainers aren't supposed to be doctors or physical therapists. There are no achievements to be made in working with those types of clients.
    The achievement is getting a client to their goals. Working with the elderly to help their strength and balance is not necessarily physical therapy.

nickmanzoni and 3kgtjunkie, I appreciate your answers, but I asked the question to see if Al Shades would suggest that I train granny like a bodybuilder . It seems that Al's answer is to not train granny in the first place. So I guess, if you only train two groups of people, it is easy to group all clients into two groups
    MS, NASM, NFPT

Broscience &gt; Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    The achievement is getting a client to their goals. Working with the elderly to help their strength and balance is not necessarily physical therapy.

nickmanzoni and 3kgtjunkie, I appreciate your answers, but I asked the question to see if Al Shades would suggest that I train granny like a bodybuilder . It seems that Al's answer is to not train granny in the first place. So I guess, if you only train two groups of people, it is easy to group all clients into two groups
    As I said, those kinds of people need doctors, nurses, and physical therapists.

I don't consider teaching someone to walk an achievement unless that person is 9 months old.

That's not what I signed up for. I set my standards a bit higher.

Seriously, just get athletes strong, and average people lean. It will work 99% of the time, guaranteed.

3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000)
    As I said, those kinds of people need doctors, nurses, and physical therapists.

I don't consider teaching someone to walk an achievement unless that person is 9 months old.

That's not what I signed up for. I set my standards a bit higher.

Seriously, just get athletes strong, and average people lean. It will work 99% of the time, guaranteed.
    how did you get your nutrtionist certificate?

Broscience &gt; Studies Al Shades's Avatar
    Originally Posted by 3kgtjunkie View Post
    how did you get your nutrtionist certificate?
    By taking the course. What do you mean?

By taking the course. What do you mean?
    I was looking into it but all the nutrionists I've talked to said it requires a lot course work and a certification from the state. maybe that's just ky. who did u go through?

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    I smell "sticky".

Nutritionist v. Dietician: Which one is a personal trainer?

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz

You train the first group like powerlifters and the second group like bodybuilders.

Wow. That's an incredible generalization. Why not just say, "In order to solve starvation, we have to feed people."

If you want to be successful at training successful athletes, you have to train them specific to their sport. Agility, speed, endurance, strength, power, reaction time, and balance are all part of the equation.

If you think that all you need to do to be a successful trainer of performance athletes is make them stronger, you may be financially successful for a while, but you won't have successful athletes.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This thread is about a revelation that occured to me. It is the two major types of clients and how to train them, in a nutshell.

"Just get em' strong"

Group 2: The Health/Aesthetics/No-clue-what-they-want crowd (i.e. everyone who doesn't fall into group 1)

Includes housewives, coach potatoes, the terminally obese, weekend warriors, 99.8% of women, seniors, and all the types of people who usually buy personal training.

And I think most ALL clients want that FEELING of progress during each session (whether they know it or not) - Some trainers underestimate how important it is to monitor how the clients feel during the actual session - The quality of your session IS your product so you should pay attention to this -
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

Anderz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lol I'm not trying to cause offence, but that's not 2 groups, you've even put (anyone who doesn't fit into group one) you could put anyone into that group who wasn't an athlete, there's loads of groups... Young guys who just want muscle, women who want to lose bodyfat, people who want a six pack, you get all sorts

Powerwolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Powerwolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Originally Posted by Powerwolf View Post
    That's funny; six pages of responses

It seems that the folks over at t-nation like to have fun a little fun before ignoring a post like this.
    MS, NASM, NFPT

BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This guy quoted a stupid person? lol.. Pick someone a little more educated to quote.
    NASM certified.
    America is a good country to be a trainer.

Originally Posted by BenefitPT View Post
    This guy quoted a stupid person? lol.. Pick someone a little more educated to quote.
    oh....

my....

god....

cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs down

"Just get em' strong"

bwahahahaha sticky are you serious?

This view seems to come from someone who just wants to make money and screw the client, instead of having them reach their full potential.

BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BenefitPT has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post
    oh....

my....

god....
    oh my god? Didn't someone else post the same thing and he quoted it, or am I mistaken?
    NASM certified.
    America is a good country to be a trainer.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Al-Shades: You cut off a major source of real income if you ignore the elderly.
    They are loyal clients and pay top dollar if you keep them out of nursing homes or give them the ability to live with out assistantce.
    It take a little more knowledge then the average trainer has but its worth getting that knowladge.
    Generaly speaking your idea is correct for the middle to young group.

DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm a "dedicated recreational trainee" and would hate to be in the first group. I would also hate to have you as a trainer (no offense)

conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Fustrated PT instructor

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Al-Shades: You cut off a major source of real income if you ignore the elderly.
    They are loyal clients and pay top dollar if you keep them out of nursing homes or give them the ability to live with out assistantce.
    It take a little more knowledge then the average trainer has but its worth getting that knowladge.
    Generaly speaking your idea is correct for the middle to young group.

I agree, the elderly are the largest growing demographic out there, kids are second.
    My clients are the worst: out of shape, middle-aged cops that want me to do something about the years of neglect they have put thier bodies through. They come to me wanting me to make a workout program for them and when i ask them what they are doing now they respond "nothing". Most of them have far too many risk factors to start a program without going to the doctor first. When they hear "start walking 30 minutes a day 3 times a week" they look at me like I'm speaking french.
    Those are the hardest people to get motivated.
    Bill
    www.copfitness.blogspot.com
    5'11

"Giving up is forever, pain is temporary."
    The will to survive is important, but the will to prepare is vital-unknown

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yep there probably is a lot of ego with that type of client. One thing that work well is to ask them if you can contact the doctor to consult them about a proper level of program. It tends to trap them into doing something since their doctor and trainer are talking about them. Many doctors bulk at the idea but most come around once they get to know you. Its also a good way to get more clients. Once the doc trusts you they will send peopleyour way.

Originally Posted by BenefitPT View Post
    oh my god? Didn't someone else post the same thing and he quoted it, or am I mistaken?
    HE WROTE IT TWO TIMES!

LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJadmas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The 2 type of clients are the ones who want it, and ones that don't. Long term vs instant gratification