cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't Seem To Put on Weight

I have been trying to bulk up now for about 2 months. I was cutting before that, and I wanted to get down to around 215 lbs and got as close as 218. I since then have been trying to eat more and more but I just can't seem to weight up. I currently weigh 225 lbs but I feel as if most of that weight is just water, as it only took about a month to put on that ten pounds I lost while cutting. I eat every 2 and a half hours and those meals consist of protein (chicken or meat), veggies, carbs (whole bread, brown rice, oatmeal) and plenty of it, but I can't seem to move up.

Any suggestions as to what I could do or what has worked for you?

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eat more food... bigger meals, more calorie dense foods such as peanut butter and whole eggs, perhaps throw in some less traditional food sources such as Rice Krispies if you really can't eat enough.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cab533 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been eating peanut butter by the jar every week, and I have been putting back just about 2 cups of oatmeal a meal, and I find I am pushing down the last couple of bites every time. Same with brown rice; I throw down just about 2 cups a meal. I need to find a little variety in my meals. Do you have any suggestions?

I tried counting cals and stuff like that as I had read in a magazine that for my bodyweight I need to eat 4k cals/day just to maintain... the closest I ever got to that target was with 8 meals, and one of those being pizza and even then I only got up to 3800 cals. Is there anything you suggest?

Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000) Squat2Grow is just really nice. (+1000)
    either make your own homemade weight gainers with whey/natty pb/milk/oats/fruit etc or buy a premade gainer like muscle juice 2544

muscle juice serving = about 1,000 cals
    i rep back 1k+

WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eat more. I was calculating it up and had to eat around 5k calories at times to put on weight and I'm not that big. Not near as big as you, bulking from 5 foot 8, 170. It helps if you have a huge appetite though, and I had to eat really dirty just to get the calories in. Pizza, peanut butter, cheeseburgers, mac n cheese, pasta, hitting the chinese buffets were all fair game. I did try to cut out some of the sugars, but still allowed myself a day to just go nuts and it was hard to avoid the HFCS with all the crap I was eating.

It helps if you have a huge appetite which it sounds you do not. 3800 cals is nothing for you size and age. You gotta push and gradually expand that stomach and cravings. I think you gotta at least hit 4k for your size, right? How you gonna do that eating clean all the time?

Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cab533 View Post
    I have been eating peanut butter by the jar every week, and I have been putting back just about 2 cups of oatmeal a meal, and I find I am pushing down the last couple of bites every time. Same with brown rice; I throw down just about 2 cups a meal. I need to find a little variety in my meals. Do you have any suggestions?

I tried counting cals and stuff like that as I had read in a magazine that for my bodyweight I need to eat 4k cals/day just to maintain... the closest I ever got to that target was with 8 meals, and one of those being pizza and even then I only got up to 3800 cals. Is there anything you suggest?
    Either your not too familiar with how to properly count calories or your not eating enough. I get 4k a day in 6-8 meals but whole foods only. Im still hungry at the end of it all, ever since I started making myself eat more I appitite has been out of control, I don't like to overeat as I put on fat somewhat easily. But all in all you should be able to hit 4k a day if your eating WHOLE FOODS.

Whole foods are more calorie dense, higher nutritional values. I was never one who could eat a dirty bulk, try avoid the processed foods.
    Last edited by Lochirco; 11-09-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    Information is Power

Originally Posted by WannaBeAthlete View Post
    Eat more. I was calculating it up and had to eat around 5k calories at times to put on weight and I'm not that big. Not near as big as you, bulking from 5 foot 8, 170. It helps if you have a huge appetite though, and I had to eat really dirty just to get the calories in. Pizza, peanut butter, cheeseburgers, mac n cheese, pasta, hitting the chinese buffets were all fair game. I did try to cut out some of the sugars, but still allowed myself a day to just go nuts and it was hard to avoid the HFCS with all the crap I was eating.

It helps if you have a huge appetite which it sounds you do not. 3800 cals is nothing for you size and age. You gotta push and gradually expand that stomach and cravings. I think you gotta at least hit 4k for your size, right? How you gonna do that eating clean all the time?
    I used to think that I had a huge appetite, but now I don't think that anymore. I would like to try and stay away from things like too much pizza and cheeseburgers and stuff, and try to keep it fairly clean overall, but I am willing to gorge on junk once in a while... I guess that I will just have to start forcing myself to eat like a pig. Is there any kind of fatty stuff I should stay away from like chocolate, and ice cream? Or should I just try to annihilate it all?

Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lochirco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to think that I had a huge appetite, but now I don't think that anymore. I would like to try and stay away from things like too much pizza and cheeseburgers and stuff, and try to keep it fairly clean overall, but I am willing to gorge on junk once in a while... I guess that I will just have to start forcing myself to eat like a pig. Is there any kind of fatty stuff I should stay away from like chocolate, and ice cream? Or should I just try to annihilate it all?
    Your gonna have to see how your body responds to eating a clean bulk vs a dirty bulk, again I was never one to like the dirty bulk for a variety of reasons.
    I always say go clean, you will have longer lasting better overall gains.
    Information is Power

Originally Posted by Lochirco View Post
    Your gonna have to see how your body responds to eating a clean bulk vs a dirty bulk, again I was never one to like the dirty bulk for a variety of reasons.
    I always say go clean, you will have longer lasting better overall gains.
    Alright, I will have to give that a whirl. I am going to try and eat bags of brown rice, and lots of red meat... should I be trying to pick leaner meats, or do I really have to worry about that while I am trying to bulk? I much prefer the taste of a ribeye to a top loin sirloin steak...

WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WannaBeAthlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you tried eating over 4k of clean food though? I mean the sheer volume, not to mention expensive, you really need food that is calorie dense. How many chicken breasts and brown rice you gotta eat bro? I just try and keep the sugars down a bit and away from regular soda. Avoid transfat, but pretty much everything else is fair game. I think the main thing is keep your calorie surplus in check.

well, I generally try to have 1 large breast at least, and then 2 cups brown rice with a little soya sauce. I also try to get in some low gi veggies like broccoli, celery and make it into stirfries and stuff. I dunno, I guess i would consider myself a hard gainer, something i never would have thought when i wasn't trying to get my diet in check.

lol you're not a hard gainer.

what makes you say that?

Originally Posted by WannaBeAthlete View Post
    lol you're not a hard gainer.
    couldn't agree more!
    Information is Power

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what makes you say that?
    Because you're 220lbs and I eat as much as you

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Holyspokes View Post
    Because you're 220lbs and I eat as much as you
    As do I.....and I somehow am not remotely bloated and stuffed 24/7....

OP - - eat more /thread.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com