Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm curious what your routine is each day if you don't mind sharing, I know I cannot do the exact same routine each day.
    "The average man thinks he isn't."

Trying to be young again turbomike's Avatar
    turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) turbomike is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Something like this:

Workout 1
    Leg Presses
    3 sets of 10

Decline
    5 sets of 5 (or 3 set of 8)

DB Presses
    3 sets of 10

Tbar
    3 sets of 10 (or 3 set of 8)

Dips
    2 sets of 10

DB Curls
    2 sets of 10

Work out 2
    Deadlift

Incline

Front/side laterals
    3 sets of 10 (each)

Seated Rows
    3 sets of 10

Tricep Push Down
    2 sets of 10

Preacher Curls
    2 sets of 10

Workout 3
    Squats

Flat Bench

Seat OH Press

Wide Grip Pull ups
    3 sets of 10

Tricep Press (EZ Bar)
    2 sets of 10

Standing BB Curls
    2 sets of 10
    Mike
    Owner- The Body Shop Gym
    "Lift. Spot..or Leave!"
    "If doesn't matter what kind of car you drive...but how big the arm is hanging out of the window."

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    If your goals are strength, then you need to concentrate on heavier compound lifts and skip all the raise/curl/extension type stuff.

I understand you have back issues, but you are able to do a certain degree of lifting for legs and back right? If anything, do squats and deadlifts but make sure your form is absolutely perfect. SLDL would be the last thing I'd do in your condition.

3 days a week is pretty easy to make up a split that takes only an hour. You could do a bench oriented day and then a legs/back day and alternate them. One week you'd bench twice and the next you'd do lower body twice. In the end it all evens out.

Day 1
    bench
    decline bench (i like this as it hits my tris and shoulders hard)
    heavier rack lockouts or board presses (for tricep work)
    military press or DB press depending on how your back handles it
    rear delt work

Day 2
    squat
    deadlift
    barbell row or chinups
    shrugs

I'll leave the rep ranges up to you. Normally I do anywhere from 1 to 5 reps per set on the main lift (bench, squat, deadlift) and 5-8 reps on the assistance. Usually I try to work up to a top set of 3 or 5, and try to hit 5-10lbs more the following week on all lifts. When I can't go any more on a certain rep range, I drop the reps down some and keep going, again adding weight each week til I can't go any farther.
    put curls here if you want to do them

vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vicour has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can manage the SLDL's so far, I am extremely calculated and controlled when I do them, and I freakin LOVE how they feel, like true core strength building. I'm thinking about changing to a 5x5 routine based on the feedback I've gotten, trying to use as many compound exercises as possible, with a little extra love to the arms, since I'd like big guns:

Mon: (5x5 each)
    Stiff Leg Dead Lifts
    Lat pull downs
    Squats
    Dips
    <-need a compound tri exercise here
    Skull Crusher (a favorite of mine)

Wed: (5x5 each)
    Bench Press
    Inclined Dumbbell Press
    Military press
    Standing Barbell Bicep Curl
    DB bicep curls
    Farmers Walk (another favorite)

Friday: (monday repeat)

One day: back, legs, triceps
    Next day: chest, shoulders, biceps
    Last edited by vicour; 05-16-2008 at 12:30 PM.

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    old school strength routine is like this

squat (could alternate squats one time, deads next)
    bench
    bent row
    military press
    dips
    then add in 1-2 direct arm exercises and abs

6-7 exercises at most....15 exercises per workout is simply way too many
    That is exactly how I trained back in 54/55--55/56--56/57--57/58

3 sets 8 reps when I could do 10 reps added weight and back to eight

For a change just do different exercises Chins instead of rows
    Upright rows instead of presses -inclines instead of benches etc etc

Trained from Sept till end of May each year ( college)
    Gained 10-12 lbs of solid muscle each year and NO FAT

Tried this today, I can't do it, it takes too long. I'll have to do 3x6 each to fit it all in.

Mon: (5x5 each, converting to 3x6)
    Stiff Leg Dead Lifts
    Lat pull downs
    Squats
    Dips
    Military press
    Skull Crusher (a favorite of mine)

Wed: (5x5 each, converting to 3x6)
    Bench Press
    Inclined Dumbbell Press
    Decline flys
    DB bicep curls
    Farmers Walk (another favorite)

I've run into a problem however with bench press and incline. On sets, I start to get "fallout", 5th rep is fine but starting to wane, then 6th rep just.....fails. It's like the power is sapped and gone, I don't get it.

Chest seems to be the only muscle doing this, every other muscle I work has...something left for power on the last rep and I can finish. It's a hard finish mind you, but its a solid finish. Chest seems to lack finishing stamina in a big way. Does anyone else have that one muscle group that seems weaker than the rest of the body?

Mon: (3x6 each cept squats)
    Squats
    Stiff Leg Dead Lifts
    Military press
    Pull-ups
    Dips
    Skull Crusher

Wed: (3x6 each)
    Bench Press
    Inclined Bench Press (would DB be better?)
    Decline flys (these are extremely difficult to get setup for, need something better)
    DB bicep curls
    Farmers Walk

This rotation seems to be working well so far, 3 days of rest minimum for major worked muscles, and 4 days of rest every other week. (fri's muscles get sat/sun/mon/tues) Feels good so far.

I screwed up yesterday and tried bent over rows as a substitute for Pull ups, bad mistake on the lower back discs. We have a pull up assist machine in my gym, will be doing that instead. My chest still feels weak in comparison to everything else, and I lose power on my 6th rep in the last set often. Looking for more compound exercise suggestions as well.

My goal is primarily compound exercises to get more muscles worked at once, but still give some love to the arms for bigger guns.