Page 1 of 124 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Floundering about

Well, a) I have been here 6 months, and b) I am bored today, so I thought I would start up a Flounderbout work-out blog. Now I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to see a series of numbers representing weights I have lifted each day. So I don' t intend to do that. In any event I use BodySpace to track all my workouts, so if anyone is seriously interested in what warm-up weight I used, they can check out my profile and it is all there in glorious detail. Instead I just intend to give the general idea, record any big milestones, and generally chunter about lifting and life in a way that maybe someone with a dry and twisted sense of humour might find diverting for a minute or two one day.

The background

I joined up here in January 2013 (a proper resolutioner!) after having decided to get fit in late 2012. In my 20's I was pretty fit. I was stationed with the Queen's Gurkha Engineers in Hong Kong back in my youth, as fit as I have ever been and as big as I have ever been (at 82.5kg). Lots of running and marching carrying heavy weight in high temperatures and humidity will do that. After that, I went to University and started rowing seriously, whereupon I started losing weight fast. I stroked my college 1st VIII, but was never going to be big enough to row for the University VIII, so started aiming for the lightweight crew. For that I needed to be around 10 - 10.5 stone (63 - 66kg), a pretty tall order at 5'11". In the end I made the University hockey team, so quit rowing altogether, but by that stage the damage had been done. I was officially a scrawny phuck.

Straight after university, I went into a high stress but basically sedentary job, and since I worked most weekends, that was the end of competitive sports. I also pretty much gave up exercise, save for joining a London gym. I attended this gym 3 times in the space of about 6 years. This meant that each session cost roughly $2500. I did not feel that this was very good value for money. However cancelling my membership felt like really giving up - one day I would get back in there and sort myself out. Or so I kept telling myself.

However instead I concentrated on drinking and smoking as much as I could between work, with predictable results.

Then in a drunken stupor sometime in June 2012, I agreed with a bunch of mates to climb Kilimanjaro for charity. It is not clear what attracted me to this plan, since I hate walking. However by the time it became clear that I had to pull out, it was too late. I had to beg some sponsorship, buy an entire hiking wardrobe and boots, and go and climb. My training for this endeavour was limited. By limited, I mean non-existent. I did spend a day digging in the garden to make sure the boots seemed comfortable. But that was it.

However, and to my enormous surprise, I enjoyed it. Indeed before too long I started to feel something I hadn't felt in a long time, namely fit, and energised. I decided there and then that when I got home, I was going to get fit, and stay fit. So that's what I did.

The first step was realising that going to a gym was a major obstacle. Going to a gym before work was a hassle, and would be often swerved in favour of lying in bed, which on balance, I prefer to many things. Working out in London (where I work every day) had been tried and failed. Also, London gyms tend to be full of a) exercise bikes, and b) cocks. Working out at a gym near home in the evening was also out, since a) my wife would think I was having an affair, and b) I am too knackered in the evening after work to work out (let alone have an affair).

Eventually I overcame this problem by buying a ton of weights, and a bench. And off I went.

The progress

I started out pretty skinny fat, but mostly just skinny. I weighed 75kg.

This was me on holiday in the Maldives in January 2013. (Bear in mind I was already a couple of weeks in by this stage - sadly I took no proper "before photos")

For the first few weeks I just the usual bro crap - lots of chest and arms. Then I stopped reading the articles in here, and found the 035 forum. Rescued! I started SL 5x5, and have been going ever since.

And this is me, 7 months in.

I am currently doing 531BBB. I love it. I am on about cycle 3, and so everything is still at the relatively easy stage. But my calculated 1RMs are way up.

When I started my stats were roughly as follows (based on calculated 1RMs):
    BP: 63kg = 140lb
    Sq: 59kg = 130lb
    DL: 63kg = 140lb
    OP: 35kg = 75lb

My goals were (and still are)
    BP = BWx1.5= 120kg = 265lb
    Sq = BW x 2 = 160kg = 350lb
    DL = BW x 2 = 160kg = 350lb
    OP = 100kg = 220lb

My progress to date? Well my calculated 1RM's as of this week are;
    BP = 100kg = 220 lb (major breakthrough!)
    Sq = 143kg = 315 lb (3 plates! Awesome)
    DL = 156kg = 345lb (nearly there!)
    OP = 62kg = 135lb (meh, whatever)

I have put on about 3 kg (6.6lb). My BF has gone down by a few percent. So this is a good thing. I want to hit 82.5kg (181lb) again, although who knows.

This is me now...

So it is a work in progress.

The goals

My lifting goals are as set out above. They are a means to an end though - I want to get larger, and at a lower BF. But at the same time I want to stay flexible and athletic. cmoore is officially my hero. I want to be able to do all of that mad ch1t he does - flags, flag pullups, muscle ups - all the crazy gymnastic stuff. But I need to build the base first.

Oh, and also I want to be able to compete creditably in the O40 (Masters) UK wakeboarding champs by the time I hit 40 in 2.5 years time. That means spending plenty of time on the water between now and then doing my first love, wakeboarding (well actually my first love is probably windsurfing, followed by kitesurfing and snowboarding, but these are just not year round options in the middle of the UK, so wakeboarding it is!). That means advancing a lot in 3 years, but I reckon it is doable. Given that this is my blog, and therefore it seems to me I can probably put whatever the phuck I want in it, I will probably put some wakeboarding stuff in it.

In fact sod it, here is a short edit of my last few sets...

My workout this morning

I did squats. Loads of squats. I hate squats.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In.

The hair is a definite improvement.

j/k

How can you hate squats???
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I fear squats, or did today anyway.
    Training journal and diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155348593

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey mate..

I see you are from Surrey. Would you happen to know a gentleman by the name of Heath Koing? He is an Englishman of Chinese descend. I guess one can say he is a Chinese-British, but I'm not sure if you lads hyphenate 'British' the way we hyphenate 'American.'

At any rate, he is a nationally ranked Weightlifter over there, and he trains in a gym in Surrey. Just wondering if you ever come across him..

And I agree with Marius. You should never say you hate squats in an American-dominated forum, because we will think you're Frenchman.. lol..

So you worked with Gurkhas, eh? That's awesome. Those guys are badasses. During WWII, even the Japanese were afraid of the Gurkhas.. And the Japanese usually feared no one..
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's good progress in 6 months. I wish I could wakeboard like that, going from side to side and not falling off every time I cross the wake is the extent of my skills at the moment.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Speaking of your former colleagues:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...-God-side.html

God Save the Queen

Gob Bless America
    This above all..

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post

God Save the Queen

Gob Bless America
    Don't get me started. Just last night I was ranting about how you take a bunch of kids, teach them how to kill with rifles, blades, and their bare hands, then want to throw them in jail when they act like warriors. I remember a time not too long ago when the armed forces of the western world were used for something other than handing out water bottles and distributing blankets.

Isn't that the Peace Corps' job?

*blows a gasket*
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In...

(for what seems to be one of the more exciting lifestyles on here)

You've made some great progress so far!

Hm, my hubby's gonna be in London nxt wk...

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Don't get me started. Just last night I was ranting about how you take a bunch of kids, teach them how to kill with rifles, blades, and their bare hands, then want to throw them in jail when they act like warriors. I remember a time not too long ago when the armed forces of the western world were used for something other than handing out water bottles and distributing blankets.

Isn't that the Peace Corps' job?

*blows a gasket*
    When I was a senior cadet in 1997 an SF Captain (class of 90) spoke to us about OOTW. (Pronounced "OOOH-TWAH") Short for Operations Other Than War..

Sure enough...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Block_War
    This above all..

Can you imagine how long WWII would have lasted if Ike and Monty followed this policy?

War is ugly. Get over it, or don't do it.

Also, taxation is theft.

Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In.

How can you hate squats???
    Well actually it's not hate so much as...

Originally Posted by Richie71 View Post
    I fear squats, or did today anyway.
    Damn, you a wizard boy! There is something about having all that weight on my traps that just kind freaks me out. It isn't exactly fear, although it is something like that - just a mental block I guess. There is a reason that all these people claim not to be able to do squats. And yes I guess, fear may be part of it.

You should never say you hate squats in an American-dominated forum, because we will think you're Frenchman.. lol..
    Ha, yes, I am a cheese-eating surrender-to-squats monkey! I remember reading not too long ago something about cowardice and bravery that struck a chord with me. I paraphrase, but essentially the point was everyone feels fear, unless they are insane or stupid. The only difference was how people responded to that fear...
    Now obviously doing squats is hardly going to into combat. But it is good to have to face stuff that makes us feel uncomfortable IMO - keeps the juices flowing.

Also, I may have exaggerated about the squats. I don't love them, but I do suck them up. Went up to 10 x 107.5kg (235lb) today at the end of my 531. Small beer I know, although small steps and all that. But already I can feel that the depth that I have been working so hard on starts to suffer just ever so slightly when the weight gets up above 100kg. Again, suspect largely a mental block. Will try and be less French...

Hey mate..
    I see you are from Surrey. Would you happen to know a gentleman by the name of Heath Koing? He is an Englishman of Chinese descend. I guess one can say he is a Chinese-British, but I'm not sure if you lads hyphenate 'British' the way we hyphenate 'American.'
    LOL. I know you American guys all think England is about 12 miles across, but Surrey is quite big! No sorry - haven't come across him - although as per the intro I have not been frequenting Surrey gyms, and nor am I even remotely close to a competitive weightlifter - who knows - one day maybe!

So you worked with Gurkhas, eh? That's awesome. Those guys are badasses. During WWII, even the Japanese were afraid of the Gurkhas.. And the Japanese usually feared no one..
    If you met and worked with them you would discover that Gurkhas are the most delightful, funny and gentle folk you could ever hope to meet. Unless you piss them off. At that point they kill you. It really is that dramatic a transformation. If I ever had to go to war, I wouldn't want anyone else beside me.

Very interesting thanks - I hadn't seen that.

Don't get me started. Just last night I was ranting about how you take a bunch of kids, teach them how to kill with rifles, blades, and their bare hands, then want to throw them in jail when they act like warriors.
    Sure, I get this. But on the other hand the Geneva Convention is pretty fundamental. We tend to get pretty pissy when the Taliban specials cut the nuts off our boy's bodies and stick them in their mouths. So yes, I sympathise with a Gurkha who simply wouldn't have understood what the fuss was about, but I also sympathise with Army Command taking the stance that they can't afford just to laugh it off. Not such a simple equation that one maybe. Don't know - will think on it further.

Originally Posted by lolakitten View Post
    In...

(for what seems to be one of the more exciting lifestyles on here)

You've made some great progress so far!

Hm, my hubby's gonna be in London nxt wk...
    Originally Posted by lunchbreak View Post
    That's good progress in 6 months. I wish I could wakeboard like that, going from side to side and not falling off every time I cross the wake is the extent of my skills at the moment.
    Thanks both!

Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    LOL. I know you American guys all think England is about 12 miles across, but Surrey is quite big! No sorry - haven't come across him - although as per the intro I have not been frequenting Surrey gyms, and nor am I even remotely close to a competitive weightlifter - who knows - one day maybe!
    HAHAHA. But of course you're right, mate. Thanks for understanding my mentality and making me aware. I was stationed in Germany in the 90's. I visited different European countries. Beautiful and historic villages and towns all over that continent.. When I think of a European city I usually have this charming place in my vision, where everybody knows everybody, sorta like Rural Town, USA.

It's amazing how that Island Nation of yours has made a global impact throughout generations. And I'm not just talking about how the US of A has strong roots to England. I'm talking GLOBAL influence here, my friend. For example, my Weightlifting coach coaches me through the internet. He is Malaysian of Chinese descend. I was unaware how much the British has influenced Malaysia. He has never been to England, but he was educated in Malaysia under what he called the 'old English system of education,' so English is his first language. And get this, mate. He has an English accent. I spoke to him via Skype on several occasions.

And then at work, I have a couple of coworkers originally from Guyana. They immigrated to the States in the 80's. They are of East Indian descend. And they always tell me about how much the English has influenced India as well as other parts of the world. Really fascinating.. They speak fluent English with a Jamaican accent..
    This above all..

It's amazing how that Island Nation of yours has made a global impact throughout generations. And I'm not just talking about how the US of A has strong roots to England. I'm talking GLOBAL influence here, my friend. For example, my Weightlifting coach coaches me through the internet. He is Malaysian of Chinese descend. I was unaware how much the British has influenced Malaysia. He has never been to England, but he was educated in Malaysia under what he called the 'old English system of education,' so English is his first language. And get this, mate. He has an English accent. I spoke to him via Skype on several occasions.

And then at work, I have a couple of coworkers originally from Guyana. They immigrated to the States in the 80's. They are of East Indian descend. And they always tell me about how much the English has influenced India as well as other parts of the world. Really fascinating.. They speak fluent English with a Jamaican accent..
    Haha - truth - I remember a mate of mine from the Gurkhas who went trekking somewhere incredibly remote (in Sri Lanka from memory) on an expedition. He had been walking through the jungle for about a week, and had not met a single person, when suddenly he came across this tea plantation with a big old colonial house and a scattering of huts round it. Sitting on the veranda was a large local woman in her 50's, and so he started speaking to her in his very poor Sinhala (or whatever). At which she roared with laughter, and said to him in a cut-glass English accent "oh my darling, what a terrible accent you have!" and plied him with gin. Turned out she had been to Cheltenham Ladies College and then Oxford!

So yesterday was officially a crap day. Drove up to the lake to go and ride, and as I arrived my tyre went flat. Not a major issue, except that I was rushing back after riding to go out for dinner.

Until I discovered (yes this was my first flat since getting it), that the RS6 doesn't have a spare. It has one of those gunk and pump systems instead. The hole in my flat was huge though, so that was a non starter.

By a huge coincidence, I was riding with a mate who drives an A5 though, and he had a space saver spare! Hooray! So we got the wheel off, only to discover that his space saver wouldn't fit over my brakes.

Anyway, figured we would leave the car there and pick it up at some stage, and got out on the water. I had on my new knee brace after hyper-extending my knee last week, and I figured that although it was still sore it would cope. Wrong. First big trick I landed, and I blew it. Major pain, major swelling.

So now my car is on 3 wheels miles away, and I am on 1 leg again. Grr. Anyway OHP day tomorrow, so don't need legs (much)!

lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ouch!!!
    Last time I flatted & discovered I had locking wheel bolts & no tool. Doh.

So, an actual workout to report on! Was meant to be deload week this week, but I am on holiday in France next week and so thought I would take that week off and in the meantime start week 1 of the 3rd cycle of 531.

OHP day today, with weighted dips and assorted pull-ups/chin-ups for assistance.

Work sets of OHPs were
    42.5kg (94lb) x 5,
    45kg (100lb) x 5
    47.5kg (105lb) x 8

then BBB
    27.5kg (61lb) x 10 x 5

OHP is always an odd one for me. The first few of every set always feel really easy, then BAM - nothing left!

Dips 5 sets of 12 with 5kg weight. Used to do much more weight and lower reps, but to get up to 12 reps for all 5 sets I have had to drop the weight added substantially.

Pull-ups and chin-ups I just do as many sets of max reps until I hit 50 reps total. Started off with 5kg added, but had to drop down to BW after about 26 reps. Progress always seems so slow with pull-ups. It annoys me, because I think with my relatively light frame I ought to be able to do more. Will keep pushing on.

Picking up the new tyre today and then getting a lift up to the lake to the car with my workout partner Lee. I have booked two slots to ride, though I'm not sure that my knee will be up to it. Lee started riding a few months ago, and he is really close to making his first back roll, so may just let him have both sets and will try and video hopefully his first success. It's funny I get as excited about mates landing tricks for the first time as I do about landing new tricks myself. Can understand why people want to coach.

I can't be bothered to go to work today. So I won't. Ah, the joys of being self-employed .

gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    So, an actual workout to report on! Was meant to be deload week this week, but I am on holiday in France next week and so thought I would take that week off and in the meantime start week 1 of the 3rd cycle of 531.

OHP is always an odd one for me. The first few of every set always feel really easy, then BAM - nothing left!

I can't be bothered to go to work today. So I won't. Ah, the joys of being self-employed .
    Yep, me too with OHP. I find my shoulders get really tight too. I'm finding my shoulders need more rest between sets than other lifts. I also find that if I'm not taking in enough water, it seems to effect my shoulder workouts a lot. I also try to massage and then stretch my shoulders between sets too, this seems to help me a bit. But there's been several times when I've only been half way through a work out and it's felt like they are really painfull (like a dead arm / cramp). When that happens....the session is usually over for me.

Self employed is great for lifestyle...but not great for invoicing! Bunking doesn't help the cash flow!
    I've just started my 3rd year of lifting, I made great over the last 2 years. Doubled my Bench and tripled my Squat and DL's. I'm 43 and I'm getting stronger every month.
    ORM BP: 225lbs / DL: 355lbs / Sq: 240lbs....working in lbs makes my lifts look heavier :D

Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm the same for shoulders, when they run out of power, they're out of power. I think I've got another rep, and suddenly there's nothing less. I'd guess it's due to them being a smaller muscle group.
    Training journal and diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155348593

Deadlift day today. Felt exhausted at 0615, but had to bite the bullet. Also felt pretty weak - sore back and aching. Suspect result of riding last night after OHP yesterday morning.
    Result was that Dls were hard work and felt heavy this morning. I realised about half way through that one reason was that I had calculated the new 531 cycle wrong (I had added 10kg to the DL 1RM instead of 5kg after the last cycle). Anyway it got better as I went through.

Work sets were:
    110kg (242lb) x 5,
    117.5kg (260lb) x 5,
    122.5kg (270lb) x 10

Then BBB at 72.5kg (160lb) x 10 x 5.

When I tracked it the 5+ set of 122.5kg x 10 gives me a calculated 1RM of 163kg...

I don't know how accurate those sort of calculations are, and I won't count it until I have actually pulled it, but that is my DL goal of 2xBW right there. So I am pretty stoked. Will look to try and work in a try at a real 1RM at some point when I get back from holiday...

Assistance sets were 5 x 12 Good Mornings with 50kg, and then 5 x 10 Hanging B&*^%$d Leg Raises. Actually these are getting much less painful as I get used to them. May up to 5 x 12 before too long.

In other news, with a baby on the way and two large dogs, the wife Jessie's 911 is going to have to go. I was disappointed by this until yesterday I went to look at the most awesome Range Rover I have ever seen. May have to stock up on gangsta rap...

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I personally find the calculated 1RM to be almost spot on for lower body (squat/deadlift) as long as it is taken from <10 reps. In fact for a while my tested 1RM deadlift was actually running ahead of the rep predictions. Upper body, press and bench I struggle to match, usually a couple of lbs lower.

Only way to tell is to give it a go! Big strong lad like you should be able to pull 160Kg+ easy.

No 911 here, my lass won't park her bum in anything with sports suspension. At least Sunday's top gear gave me ample opportunity to rib her on her choice of "caravanner's" vehicle, though to be fair, she does need something to pull the horse box over fields.

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Glad to lurk in a thread and see the Flounderbout progression since i have been a long time stalker of thee.

BTW flounder, Hnnnnnnnnnngggggggg. Your wife, wouldwife/10 as i love a lass with a talent.

So what i read so far, You are walking like a pirate and drive a reliant robin. Huehuehuehue....
    Ride it like you just stole it.

Funny thing...I guess it's my ego, but I try to go by my calculated 1RM, and then I'll test it, and they'll be almost spot on...or they won't...I think it has to do with how much sleep I've gotten, how much food I've eaten...all that other crap. All things considered you have to use something as a baseline, and a calculated max is a lot safer than finding your true max.

Also, taxation is theft.

gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lunchbreak View Post
    I personally find the calculated 1RM to be almost spot on for lower body (squat/deadlift) as long as it is taken from <10 reps. In fact for a while my tested 1RM deadlift was actually running ahead of the rep predictions. Upper body, press and bench I struggle to match, usually a couple of lbs lower.

Only way to tell is to give it a go! Big strong lad like you should be able to pull 160Kg+ easy.

No 911 here, my lass won't park her bum in anything with sports suspension. At least Sunday's top gear gave me ample opportunity to rib her on her choice of "caravanner's" vehicle, though to be fair, she does need something to pull the horse box over fields.
    I've only been lifting for 13 months and I workout at home...so no spotters. The thought of actually lifing my ORM is quite a scary prospect, anything goes wrong and I'm in trouble! I probably could do a ORM max in my deadlifts, not sure with squats...my form would probably break. I wouldn't want to unrack 97kgs for a Bench attempt without some one to spot me.

You are doing so well with your DL's bud. 163kgs is a serious achievement and a big congratz about meeting your 2xBW goal!

Trading a 911 for a Range Rover...Hmm I think you need an ice pack for your head dude! Good news on the baby in it's way!
    I've just started my 3rd year of lifting, I made great over the last 2 years. Doubled my Bench and tripled my Squat and DL's. I'm 43 and I'm getting stronger every month.
    ORM BP: 225lbs / DL: 355lbs / Sq: 240lbs....working in lbs makes my lifts look heavier :D

Hey! Congrats on the baby! Sorry about the 911 - I'd rather have a RR personally.... or get an M5 You only have 1 on the way, right?
    I've put zero thought into anything 1RM... there's a calculator? I had no idea...

Originally Posted by gazzajagman View Post
    I've only been lifting for 13 months and I workout at home...so no spotters. The thought of actually lifing my ORM is quite a scary prospect, anything goes wrong and I'm in trouble! I probably could do a ORM max in my deadlifts, not sure with squats...my form would probably break. I wouldn't want to unrack 97kgs for a Bench attempt without some one to spot me.

You are doing so well with your DL's bud. 163kgs is a serious achievement and a big congratz about meeting your 2xBW goal!

Trading a 911 for a Range Rover...Hmm I think you need an ice pack for your head dude! Good news on the baby in it's way!
    I wouldn't do any heavy squats until I bought a power cage, and until recently I didn't have a bench that would fit inside it, so I had no safeties for BPs. I think it is essential. My BPs have increased hugely since I got a bench that worked with the cage - a massive mental block as it turned out - now I can give it 100% without worrying about failing and the consequences. As for DL's they are a different matter - if the weight is too much it doesn't move - it's that simple!

Originally Posted by doughnutgut View Post
    BTW flounder, Hnnnnnnnnnngggggggg. Your wife, wouldwife/10 as i love a lass with a talent.
    My pregnant wife? You sick freak...

LOL you make me laugh doughnut...