erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Is it safe to bench press heavy without a spotter?

I've been doing calisthenics for my upper body for just under 10 years now, but changing life circumstances might force me to weightlift. The bench press is an obvious staple, but I am wary of doing them without a spotter. From what I have heard, it is one of the most dangerous exercises to do at high weights without that backup. Is this true? If it is, is there any way to do them safely without a spotter? Are safety bars or a Smith machine enough?

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Properly set rack spotter arms or safety pins can reduce the risk of injury from getting crushed by the weight to virtually zero. I'd use them even if I had a human spotter, but I lift at home without one and have used spotter arms to safely fail many times.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I prefer incline bench as I train at home.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by erigni View Post
    The bench press is an obvious staple, but I am wary of doing them without a spotter. From what I have heard, it is one of the most dangerous exercises to do at high weights without that backup. Is this true?
    One spotter for heavy BP isn't going to save you if something goes really wrong. There's also not that many exercises on that list to begin with.

Originally Posted by erigni View Post
    If it is, is there any way to do them safely without a spotter? Are safety bars or a Smith machine enough?
    Safety bars are, and working out sensibly. A smith machine without using safety bars is a guillotine, aside from also being a poor way to do BP.

As a side note, the issues in some of your other posts make more sense to me now that you said you only do calisthenics for upper body.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ChunkBuster View Post
    I prefer incline bench as I train at home.
    Incline bench isn't much safer unless you use rack safeties. I guess you have a better angle to roll the bar off of you, but I wouldn't depend on that.

Also, don't use collars when you bench. Then you have a chance at shedding plates if you get stuck.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50) erigni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Properly set rack spotter arms or safety pins can reduce the risk of injury from getting crushed by the weight to virtually zero. I'd use them even if I had a human spotter, but I lift at home without one and have used spotter arms to safely fail many times.
    Thank you. That's all I needed to hear.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Arnold never benched without a spotter.
    Costco junkfood warrior

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    One spotter for heavy BP isn't going to save you if something goes really wrong. There's also not that many exercises on that list to begin with.

Safety bars are, and working out sensibly. A smith machine without using safety bars is a guillotine, aside from also being a poor way to do BP.

As a side note, the issues in some of your other posts make more sense to me now that you said you only do calisthenics for upper body.
    Thanks. I will trust the safety bars.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Arnold never benched without a spotter.
    Most bodybuilders I've seen always had one. That's why I asked. But people here are saying that the safety bars are enough, so I'll just use them.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unless they're really badly made, spotter arms should be able to support 3+ plates. Set them just below your chest level so that you only need to collapse your arch for the bar to set down.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16