slingblade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Realistic Goals???? Routine Critique

I think I have all the wrinkles ironed out now. I 've been training about 3 weeks now but I just got my @**!! together....I think. I was wondering what the more experienced guys say.
    I took my own measurements so that may not be accurate but they will be a starting point.
    Weight-215
    Hgt.-6'0
    Age-48
    BF-27%
    I am working out M-W-F doing compound excerises until I get my body adjusted- No more than 6-8 weeks
    I do Cardio for 30 minutes on Tues-Thurs

Eat 6 times daily
    Supplements- 2-3 Protein shakes daily(1 pre-W/O and another Post W/O)
    Creatine (loading phase)
    Multi-Vitamin 2X daily
    Flax-Oil
    and maybe later Glutmine.Oh yeah all the chicken, fish, and meat I can eat.
    NOW my goals are.....are they realistic..........
    Weight-don't matter
    BF-10%
    Over-all increase in muscular size.
    and a longer healthier life-style.
    I don't smoke or drink.

Any thoughts???

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your plan is solid IMO.

The best part of your plan and what makes it realistic......is you have set no time frame and you prefaced this all with you want a "longer healthier lifestyle".

Slingblade brother man........you will get there. Take it slow IMO, sometimes to many changes to quick make it too hard for many to adhear too.

Good Luck !

ps.......other then PW, I am not a big fan of shakes over real food.
    Last edited by Chi_town; 09-07-2004 at 07:50 AM.

Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Looks good to me , i would skip the pre workout shake and make it a meal with some carbs in it since your body will make use of the extra energy while you workout.
    Greater Knox BB 06 , 8 of 13 , Novice.

Battle At The River 07 , 5 of 7 , JMW

Greater Knox classic 07 , 8 of 9 JMW

Battle at the River 08 , 4 of 4 JMW Masters crossover

cage fight record 1-1
    1st fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGcQZCtgV4

2nd fight vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dZyZbUZc4

1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looks good to me as well. Although I am not a big fan of creatine myself. You'll notice results, but it tends to make me feel waterlogged and sluggish. Otherwise everything else looks like a great plan.

Question

Which brings me another point. A dude at the gym told me that if I am trying to lose BF don't use the Creatine. But I want to SEE muscles!!
    Also what is the time limit on cardio, seesm like I saw a thread sayiong 30 minutes was enough anything after that was a waste??

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Creatine is going to make you hold water.......which is one reason some will never use it while cutting. It can cause a slowing in progress in the mirror because of the increased water retention, which for some people......if they do not see results quick enough, they may not stick with it.

Others however, enjoy the increased strength and decreased recovery.

IMO.....it's a personal choice.

A minimum of 20 mins is important. As long as intensity is not to high for too long, there is nothing wrong with 40 or even 60 minute slow burn cardio.

cgret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Looks good but I would not do over 30 min cardio. I do anywhere from 16-20 min twice a week. Good luck!

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're starting off on the right track. But be patient and realistic in setting your goals. To go from 27% bf to 10% means adding 40 pounds of muscle if your body weight does not change at all. That is going to take time and alot of it.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phikappa has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks fine to me. You should be able to reach your goals.

But you tell us, what have you noticed since you started your plan?
    Jon Cole's Gym: '79 - '85
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9275071&d=1603917754

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Plan looks solid. Of course you didn't list your actual routine so we can't tell if it could be too much too soon. But slow and steady is the way to go. Personally I would just go with protein powder post workout and perhaps in the morning, but not as a substitute for a real breakfast. Other than that, save your money on the other supplements.

Good luck.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Good luck reaching your goals.

First off, I would drop all the supplements except for protein powder, multivitamin, and flax oil. There is no need for the others; training, healthy eating and sleeping are far more important. Instead, train without them and when you finally hit a sticking point then contemplate adding somethign like creatine.

Since reducing BF% seems to be your primary goal, the first thing you need to do is recognize that most BF measurements are inaccurate. Results will change depending on who is administering the test. This is even true for hydrostatic weighing. Instead, focus on reaching a point were you are happy with your appearance. At this point your BF% should not even matter if you like what you see.

Also since BF% reduction is a goal, cardio is important. I would suggest an extra 15 minutes after 2 of your lifting routines(preferably not after legs). However, this cardio should be nothing more than a brisk walk on a treadmill,(ie low intensity). T
    size is a fictitious character.
    Please read the forum rules.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't see anything wrong with him taking creatine and glutamine at this point as long as its done properly and intelligently. Creatine will help with building strength, muscle endurance and fat burning capabilities, while glutamine helps prevent muscle catabolism. Remember though to cycle on and off the creatine.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000) size is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by egoatdoor
    I don't see anything wrong with him taking creatine and glutamine at this point as long as its done properly and intelligently. Creatine will help with building strength, muscle endurance and fat burning capabilities, while glutamine helps prevent muscle catabolism. Remember though to cycle on and off the creatine.

There is nothing wrong with using creatine but they is no need either. I think getting everything established first then adding supplement is a better approach. Glutamine, on the other hand, I believe is an utter waste of funds. I believe you would benefit more from spending the money on some fresh fish.
    size is a fictitious character.
    Please read the forum rules.

Originally Posted by size
    I think getting everything established first then adding supplement is a better approach.
    I wouldn't argue with that approach either.

Glutamine, on the other hand, I believe is an utter waste of funds. I believe you would benefit more from spending the money on some fresh fish.
    I hate to get in a p____sing match, but I have read too many articles on the benefits of glutamine to believe it is a waste of funds. It has a tangible benefit to anyone who trains intensely and the powders are inexpensive. Where it gets costly is if one takes large amounts of it, which is not necessary unless you are a competitive bodybuilder or powerlifter. It is especially beneficial for those looking to cut because it helps the body retain muscle while one is on a reduced calorie and/or carb intake. When not cutting, I only take it post workout and post cardio, about 10 grams in a protein shake and my container lasts me 3 months.

Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by slingblade
    Which brings me another point. A dude at the gym told me that if I am trying to lose BF don't use the Creatine. But I want to SEE muscles!!
    Also what is the time limit on cardio, seesm like I saw a thread sayiong 30 minutes was enough anything after that was a waste??
    ...just another one of those bodybuilding myths. The water creatine holds in is in the muscle cell itself. It's not the same as "retaining water". That refers to the subcontaineous fat under your skin---that's bad and creatine in no way contributes to that!

Creatine is the most studied supplement ever and found to be perfectly safe. Good luck finding the brand that works for you---make sure it's good quality and not Cell Tech b.s.!

Go for it bro, your startin' on solid ground!

As far as cardio goes, I'm a max ot guy all the way and that means 16 mins. of hard brutal peddaling.

But, that's just me!
    Maximum Overload +Maximum Intensity= Maximum gains!

I'm better than yesterday but not as good as tommorrow!

dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

I think I have all the wrinkles ironed out now. I 've been training about 3 weeks now but I just got my @**!! together....I think. I was wondering what the more experienced guys say.
    I took my own measurements so that may not be accurate but they will be a starting point.
    Weight-215
    Hgt.-6'0
    Age-48
    BF-27%
    I am working out M-W-F doing compound excerises until I get my body adjusted- No more than 6-8 weeks
    I do Cardio for 30 minutes on Tues-Thurs

Eat 6 times daily
    Supplements- 2-3 Protein shakes daily(1 pre-W/O and another Post W/O)
    Creatine (loading phase)
    Multi-Vitamin 2X daily
    Flax-Oil
    and maybe later Glutmine.Oh yeah all the chicken, fish, and meat I can eat.
    NOW my goals are.....are they realistic..........
    Weight-don't matter
    BF-10%
    Over-all increase in muscular size.
    and a longer healthier life-style.
    I don't smoke or drink.

Any thoughts???
    You are headed in the right direction. It all looks good to me but why glutamine later?
    Think about what you say before you say it, think about what you do before you do it.

O.K I dropped the creatine after thinking that I would retain the water and would not see a loss in weight or BF. Damn I would like to see some muscles though regardless of how much water I had. Geuss I'm thinking get my BF down to a realistic pointing then bulk.

dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    O.K I dropped the creatine after thinking that I would retain the water and would not see a loss in weight or BF. Damn I would like to see some muscles though regardless of how much water I had. Geuss I'm thinking get my BF down to a realistic pointing then bulk.
    I dont think dropping creatine will help you that much. The water you retain while on creatine is not really all that noticeable unless you 10% or below on bodyfat.
    Think about what you say before you say it, think about what you do before you do it.