Registered Elephant BigElephant's Avatar
    BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigElephant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Rumor mill - Xbox Next Will Be A “Reference Design” for Manufacturers

Xbox Next Will Be A “Reference Design” for Manufacturers to Make Their Own Devices – Rumor
    Francesco De Meo

May 25, 2024 06:31 AM EDT

The Xbox Next is going to be a very different gaming device compared to its predecessors, according to rumors circulating online.

According to Windows Central's Jez Corden, Microsoft's next-generation console will likely be a reference device with a heavy Windows slant for manufacturers to make their own devices, like the Surface Pro 11 is a reference device for AI PCs. This would be a huge departure from the previous Xbox consoles, as it would essentially make it a PC that could potentially run Steam games as well, and thus even the former PlayStation exclusives available on Valve's digital store like Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut and God of War.
    Related Story Intel Shows Readiness For Microsoft’s Newest Phi-3 AI Models Across Entire CPU & GPU Portfolio

Jez Corden using the Surface Pro 11 as an example is very interesting, as it was rumored earlier this year that the Xbox Next development is being led by the Surface team. The next Microsoft console is also said to be released in multiple SKUs, including a handheld one that will be capable of running games natively while also supporting cloud gaming.

As of now, very little is known about the Xbox Next other than that it is in the works and that it will deliver the "largest technical leap" ever seen. How this will be achieved remains to be seen, but it is likely that software and storage advancements will play a big part in it, as simply doubling specs, such as RAM, would not be economically viable.
    https://wccftech.com/xbox-next-reference-design/amp/

----------------------------------------------

As I understand it, this would be similar to what Nvidia does for graphics cards? Like there is a 4090, but several different manufacturers for that particular card. They all have the same supposed power, but there are several different companies making them and some end up being more effective than others. It doesn't seem like it's a situation where like one manufacturer is putting out an Xbox with say 4090 power vs another manufacturer putting out one with 4060 power.

On the positive side of things, if it actually has a Windows like OS it will make it easier for people who don't have PCs to do other stuff on there like web browsing, and if it ends up actually being possible to play Steam games on there that's awesome.

On the negative side, this likely means they are going to be easier to mod (talking about PvP games here). Maybe we'll see more games implement matchmaking filters based on input device like XDefiant. That would be good, but there are two concerns there. One being I don't know how easy that would be to spoof. Like if it has a PC-like operating system, if you can just run a program to spoof it, then that filter is pretty useless. Otherwise some company would have to create a device that emulates a controller, and then we would just be at status quo with the XIM/Chronus situation. Second, not every game would be able to survive with split matchmaking like that. I mean XDefiant is fine now, but once the novelty wears off I wonder if splitting the player base like that will hurt the ability to find a full lobby. Especially in a game like Battlefield, where even if it was my ideal game mode (Rush) and lobby size you still need 32 people for a full lobby.

From a monetary standpoint, I'm also not sure how this makes sense for whoever actually ends up manufacturing the consoles. It makes sense from Microsoft's POV; they can offload hardware production/manufacturing and focus more on just the software side of things, and this concept avoids the backlash of backing out of the console market altogether and giving Sony a monopoly on hardware. But from the POV of whoever ends up making the consoles, I'm not sure how they are going to compete price wise. Consoles have been able to drive down prices due to orders in very large volumes. Depending on how many manufacturers are using this reference design and competing for sales, I'm not sure this would be profitable for them. Unless Microsoft has only a couple in mind and plans on partnering with them in some way.
    See Krackerjacked's sig

TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TaeBoNinja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Makes sense. Never understood why Microsoft didn't leverage their windows tech to make Xbox run pc games.
    6'3 Master Race
    GOATCal Crew
    No Pillow Crew
    Pureblood Crew

Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Coal Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sounds just like what console gamers have been asking for....less simplicity and more PC shenanigans
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ...............................R.I.P.................................
    .............Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian.........
    .................₪₪₪₪₪₪1989-2011₪₪₪₪₪₪.............
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Registered Pizza Brah FallOutBrah's Avatar
    FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FallOutBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yeah microsoft needs to focus on being accessible as possible. thats their lane. and a handheld would definitely help too cause theyre so popular.

[_]Living [X]Living Dead nkiritsis13's Avatar
    nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nkiritsis13 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Xbox

Surface Pro. Ah yes, very encouraging.

Originally Posted by Coal Man View Post
    Sounds just like what console gamers have been asking for....less simplicity and more PC shenanigans
    Plus, just like what PC gamers have been asking for... more Microsoft bullschit.

At the rate Windows is going, you would think that MS is purposefully trying to piss off all the people who are remotely computer-literate, while the ones Microsoft is chasing can just as easily use their phones.

You're dead on about simplicity because as if the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S wasn't bad enough, now consumers (especially parents) have to figure out which braindead naming scheme is which, while developers have to try juggling support amongst the different SKUs without the same degree of performance tolerance on PC.

Plus, the proposed model could make troubleshooting and repairs even more difficult because of having to contend with separate vendor drivers, software, proprietary BS, anti-repair designs (see: Dell), and then having to deal with those separate vendors instead of just a Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo.

I really don't know what Microsoft's game plan here is because (1) their software is notoriously schit and only keeps regressing in terms of user-forward functionality and usability, and (2) their current hardware is utterly unnecessary and something even Microsoft doesn't seem to care about given the linked layoffs.

Hell, they don't even really have an "Xbox" marketing presence outside of the US. Although they might technically have a presence on all Windows PCs, "Xbox" is just another stupid, preinstalled app that I uninstall.
    I will stand firm, I refuse to kneel - The fury in me is divine
    My dark grave awaits, my fate is revealed - But I'm not afraid to die

If you have any problems or need advice, feel free to ask

bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lol, so what it is with Microsoft .... they gonna make software or hardware?

Flip Flop Phil can't make up his mind... But at least he hears and agrees and promises great things are coming soon.
    Sig line can't be a novel

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    finally can compete with the COD PC hackers
    China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope