Page 8 of 122 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast
    Registered User Very_Skinny_Guy's Avatar
    Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Blindfaith
    milk is a definete no no! as far as veggies go...anything green is good.

Alcohol should be left for friday and saturdays...dont have any during the week.
    no tomatos?

Registered User Very_Skinny_Guy's Avatar
    Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Very_Skinny_Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.geocities.com/rinkjustice1/ketoplan.htm

"When the brain is cut off from glucose and must rely on ketones for it's power supply, the lights may be dim for awhile if you catch my drift. Your computational powers will slow a tad, especially the first time you achieve ketosis. If you're forgetful at the best of times, in ketosis you may walk out the house and go to work without pants on. Your thinking may be cloudy. In truth, symptoms are rarely that severe, but you may be one of the unlucky few who has a really difficult time with the transition. "

first comment I have on that: LOL
    second: WTF??!? hell, my brain is worth to me more my body! is this true?

rinkjustice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it true?

Um yes. I'm actually just getting into ketosis as I post this reply and I feel as dumb as a bag of doorknobs.

But damn, I look good!

kxtreme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "So here’s how it breaks down during the week: Sunday through Friday afternoon , you will follow the low carb diet outlined above. Eat fat and protein all day everyday except on workout days because after workouts, you will need to consume strictly just protein—no fat or carbs. "

I dont get this part. What are you supposed to do on workout days? i workout MWF can you give me an example? you dont eat fats on workout days? i dont get it.

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You don't eat fat immediately postworkout is all it means.

i want to start this diet as soon as possible, but i just recently found out about keto. so is the only difference between this and atkins is the carb load? also when you measure the calories for keto you measure it by the grams multiplying it by the right number ie 1g fat = 9 cals. say a piece of meat has 20g of fat meaning it has 180 cals, do you not count the cals that the nutrition label states it has or what? what if its like 200 cals and 20g of fat, i dont get it.

also when someone says for example they are intaking 2,000 cals are they talking about the cals converted from protein and fat? ie (protein x 4)+(fat x 9)= total cals? or is this different from the total cals thats written ont he nutrition label?

************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ********** ************************* ******* BuildUpNow's Avatar
    BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi, i was wonder if doing the ckd diet will effect my schoolwork? im in hs and u say its toxic to the brain, weill it lower my intelligence or sumthing? and this is what im planning to do
    sun-Bi's
    mon-shoulders
    tues-legs
    wed-chest
    thurs-back
    fri-rest/cardio ( carb beginning )
    sat-rest/cardio

and for my diest im planning to eat proteins and fats only until fri/sat then eat fruits and other carbs with sum proteins and sum fats.

seem like it will work?
    wait wut

rinkjustice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Clarifications/Modifications

I'm debating whether I should remove that comment regarding ketones being toxic on the brain. I don't know if it is... there is speculation (or rather FUD) but no hard evidence either way. Even if it is, it's when you are consistently in ketosis for long periods of time, more than a month straight.

That being said, being in ketosis for the first time can make thinking rather hazy. Just think of how you feel when you're coming down with the flu. You're not actually sick yet, but you feel "bluesy" and worn out. You have a hard time focusing and would rather be laying on the sofa with an XBox controller in your hand than doing whatever else you're doing. These common symptoms of ketosis disappear after a day or so, and you're brain will adjust. If you got a big exam coming up, schedule your carbload to coincide with the day of the exam.

I have some suggestions regarding your routine. Do chest first day, then legs, bi's and tri's, back, shoulders and throw in some cardio those same days. You're overtraining when you workout 6-7 days a week (any more and your training is gonna suck). Keep it to 5 days. Also, never do shoulders before chest and never do arms the first day of your training week. You'll need those smaller muscle groups fresh to lift heavy weights for the bigger muscle groups (chest, back). I'll give you a routine you can try.

Monday - Chest and triceps
    Tuesday - Back and Biceps
    Wednesday - Quads, Calves and Hamstrings
    Thursday - off
    Friday - Back (and you can even hit biceps again)
    Saturday - Chest and shoulders (or just work shoulders if your pec development is coming along)
    Sunday - Day of Rest

Do 20-30 minutes cardio after resistance training, 2-4 times a week.

I would also recommend you suppliment with a post-workout drink (whey protein, glutamine, creatine, dextrose or even table sugar) but not with cereal or any other high-carb solid food. It would be too hard to purge from your glycogen stores and get back into ketosis in a timely manner.

Cheers.

tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tsanchez_66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, I've been following this diet/workout religously for almost six weeks with outstanding results, but now I have a question or two.

First some background...

I'm 38 years old, and started this from what would be considered a "sedentary" lifestyle - I stand around 5'10" and weighed about 194. While I didn't measure using calipers or anything, I would consider that to be around 20% (or more) bodyfat. In the six weeks I've followed the diet, I've not lost much weight, maybe only five or six pounds, but I've lost almost three inches off my waist. In addition, I've greatly improved my strength - for example, when I started out I was doing 3 bench sets of 90, 105 and 120 @ 12, 10 and 8 reps respectively. I'm now doing 120, 135 and 150 @ 12, 10 and 8 and that's reflected on almost every excercise. There's also a visible difference in muscle size overall (larger, not smaller...LOL)

When I started the diet, I assumed my lean weight to be around 165 or so and I tailored my caloric/protein/fat/carb intake according to that:

Protein calorie intake per day: 640
    Fat calorie intake per day: 1800
    Total daily caloric intake: 2440
    Daily carbohydrate intake: less than 25 grams

2440 / 4 meals = 610 calories per meal (160 protien and 450 fat)

Note that in truth, I've been hitting around 500 per meal over 4 meals, plus a daily protein shake made by mixing a single "EAS AdvantEdge Carb control Ready to Drink" shake with 20 extra grams of whey protein and 5 grams of creatine and an evening snack which is usually a hot dog with a couple slices of cheese. I also buffer this with 800 gms of "good" carbs from Friday night to Sunday morning as outlined in the diet.

This all worked great - I always felt full and satisfied for several hours after each meal. Until now. It now seems like I'm getting hungry only an hour or so after each meal. So my questions stem from this...

Have I jacked my metabolism so that the caloric requirements indicated above need to be raised? Is it possible my lean weight is heavier than I estimated thus requiring a higher caloric intake? Is this normal and I need to make my fat butt deal with it? Any ideas or answers or insight appreciated.

-Tim

Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Haywood Jablome has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tsanchez_66
    Okay, I've been following this diet/workout religously for almost six weeks with outstanding results, but now I have a question or two.

This all worked great - I always felt full and satisfied for several hours after each meal. Until now. It now seems like I'm getting hungry only an hour or so after each meal. So my questions stem from this...

Have I jacked my metabolism so that the caloric requirements indicated above need to be raised? Is it possible my lean weight is heavier than I estimated thus requiring a higher caloric intake? Is this normal and I need to make my fat butt deal with it? Any ideas or answers or insight appreciated.

-Tim
    Tim, it is very possible your metabolism has increased with the new resistance program. I would suggest trying to spread your meals out into 5 or 6 smaller meals if possible. Another suggestion to avoid getting really hungry is adding a couple extra hundred cals if you need to because there's no point in starving yourself. If you find your gaining fat because of these extra cals, add some cardio in to offset that caloric increase. Another suggestion is to add some more fiber to your meals, either supplements or broccoli.

Congrats on the lifestyle change, keep it up!
    /M\

Who's High Pitch

Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't understand this article when it describes 100 grams of liquid carbs. What am I supposed to eat? sugar in water?
    *****/*****
    Obsession with nutrition starts here.

wine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but if I don't eat any fat, won't I just use "bodyfat" for energy?

Bigh203 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigh203 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm interested in trying a keto diet but I've always had this ONE question regarding it... What is the ABSOLUTE LIMIT for carbs daily? I mean are we talking nothing over 10 grams a day or even less? I can do it but it will take some re-adjustment time; mainly for breakfast meals.

Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question

Hey, I'm super interested in this diet plan after reading it, but have come across some huge problems.

So, I began doing calculations to deterimine how many carbohydrates and calories and such I'd have to be ingesting the carb-up day.

My BF is around 35%, possibly a little tiny bit lower. Weight is 210 lbs. Thus, my lean mass weight is around 136 pounds. Or around 62 kg.

"What has been recommended by other authors of the CKD is 10-12 grams of carbs per kilogram of lean mass. Again, time to do math. Our example had 160 pounds of lean mass, so divide that by the conversion factor of 2.2, and we get roughly 73 kg."

Therefore, I should be eating between 620-744 grams of carbohydrates (2480-2976 calories).

That's the first problem. I don't see in any way how 620 carbohydrates is not going to cause me to gain massive amounts of weight. For one, because it's an insane amount of calories in and of itself, not to mention the added calories from the up to 62 grams of fat I'd be consuming. As well as the mandatory 136 grams of protein.

Once totalled, it comes to a whopping 3582 calories a day. Considering I'm used to consuming 1500, maximum 2000 calories a day and maintaining my weight, I don't understand how I could possibly eat that much without gaining insane amounts of weight, as well as upsetting my stomach from eating so much.

Now, once that's been solved, another question.

I've been told that I need to consume carbohydrates in my post-workout shake. True or false? Please ensure that your answer is detailed, as I'm very new to all of this.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dub_C has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile

Originally Posted by Man2kx
    I don't understand this article when it describes 100 grams of liquid carbs. What am I supposed to eat? sugar in water?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that "liquid carbs" could mean orange juice.

I remember reading that on the first or second page, and it was posted by a very refutable source.

30 g whey with Orange Juice. I think that's what he recommended for his post-workout shake.

Nonetheless, can anybody help me out with some of my questions, straight above?

Many Thanks,

Chris.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Orange juice is not a good choice, since fructose refills liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen. Dextrose is much better, since it doesn't need to be processed by the liver before the muscles can use it.

30g whey, 15g dextrose is a good start for a post workout shake.

When you are starting a carb-up, you'd normally eat a couple of pieces of fruit before you start your depletion workout, just to kick you out of ketosis, and immediately afterwards, you'd take a big shake, with maybe 50g whey and 50g dextrose.

Table sugar is half fructose, so it's best avoided, even on carb-up.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Bump.

Please help.

Many thanks,

Chris.

NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I just went to Safeway and picked up my Keto supplies. Bought tuna, chicken, burgers, cheese, eggs, peanut butter (natural) and mayo(for the tuna). I also bought green salad to eat with some meals and broccoli. I'm going to follow the workout routine posted in the beginning, but with some changes:

Abs on weds along with my cardio.
    Cardio more than just weds, I'm getting into racquetball, swimming and boxing so at least it's fun.

I have a few questions though:

To add up my calories from food I use the calories in the totals part of package right?
    What is a good source of dextrose for friday after lifting?
    I've seen a lot of people eating like 6 meals a day, but sometimes that's not always possible for me with work. As long as I get the right number of calories is it ok to eat like 4 a day?
    I've heard your body can only process 20g of Protein/ hr. So if I eat like 40g of protein in a meal won't I crap out 20g and not get enough for the day?

Any advice is welcomed, thank you.
    Last edited by NorCALSpeed; 05-23-2005 at 02:47 AM.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dextrose is a good source of dextrose. You buy it in 500g bags in the supermarket / health food shop / chemist / on-line. It's cheap, mixes easily and improves the taste of the whey. Failing that, some sports drinks like Gatorade are dex based.

You can certainly do more cardio.

Learn to read package labels. They usually give the count per 100 grams of food, but sometimes, it's per portion, or per packet. Read carefully and see what is on your label, then work out your cals etc accordingly.

A meal doesn't have to be on a plate at the table. A packet of nuts can be a meal too. Try to get six (or more) a day to keep your metabolism in high gear.

Eileen, do you think you could offer some insight on my above 2 posts?

Thanks,

Chris.

NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What is the attitude toward eating before going to sleep? Sometimes I'm so hungry I won't be able to fall asleep and have to have something. Just som pb or would a whey shake be ok?

Originally Posted by Dub_C
    Eileen, do you think you could offer some insight on my above 2 posts?

Thanks,

Chris.
    I thought I already did. Briefly, those calculations are based on a serious bodybuilder who trains intensely all week long. If you want to lose fat and get a few muscles, you don't need to carb up as much or as long. You can't eat that amount of carbs and not expect spillover unless you have a metabolism like a furnace and workout non-stop.

HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000)

Exclamation No-Carbs for more than 18 hours=Muscle Loss!

You liver only stores enough glycogen to support brain activity and organ functions for about 1/2 to 2/3 of a day. That said, it is important to realize that if your last meal on a Monday (HI or LOW CARB DAY) was at 10:30pm and then the next day is a no-carb day, you could conceivably go up to 36 hours until you consume carbs again (until 8:00am WED). This spells trouble. When liver glycogen stores are empty and blood glucose is running low, your body will go into starvation mode signalling to produce glucose on it's own in order to supply musch needed glucose into liver glycogen. Now since fat is not easily converted into glucose your body will turn to protein intake and/or muscle proeteins and convert them into glucose using a process called gluconeogensis. This leads to wasted protein intake and loss of hard earned muscle.

For some reason fructose (the simple sugar found in fruits) prefers to be stored as liver glycogen versus muscle glycogen which make this the perfect food to consume on no-carb days. I try to eat 2 4oz servings (roughly 12-20g of carbs each) such as two small macintosh apples. One small apple with meal #2 and #3 on no-carb days to keep the body in a fed mode.
    Psalms 51:10-13

Please read the stickies. Fat is not converted into glucose, but it is converted into ketones, which the brain can use for fuel and the body can use for energy.

There are plenty of studies out there which show that a keto diet is muscle sparing compared with an isocalorie high carb diet.

truegodfather has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

foods

some one really needs to list what you can eat and what you cant.

Ok, I figured I'd just put all of my questions into one neat package:

1. What is the point of a carb load, if it only takes 2 days to deplete all your glycogen stores?

2. Does working out with empty glycogen stores put you into a catabolic state?

3. Ok, I've seen Blindfaith say NO to a POW shake with carbs, and I've also seen him say YES to a POW shake with carbs. So my question is, should I or should I not injest a post-workout shake?

4. If the answer to number 3 is "yes", then would that not defeat the purpose of a carb load in the first place? Also, what should the shake consist of?

That's all.

Many thanks,

Chris.
    Last edited by Dub_C; 06-02-2005 at 07:26 PM.

You ARE supposed to have a post workout shake cuz it's when your muscles need protein the most.

When you are in ketosis, you are burning fat. This is something that we want, and we want to allow maximum time to do this. However, ketosis is not ideal for building whacking big muscles, so we take a PWO shake with protein and carbs, and try to take just enough to repair and build our muscles without affecting ketosis.

The carb load is to give the muscles an extra boost, and to provide a refeed which will reset leptin levels and keep the thyroid active etc.

To start with, I'd try a PWO shake of 30g whey, 15g dextrose. If you get back into ketosis quickly after that, you can increase the amounts.

Thanks guys, but does working out with empty glycogen stores put you in a catabolic state?