Page 5 of 214 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by runner05 View Post
    You would've loved my run last night! 6 miles... started out calm and sprinkling then after a mile, turned to a heavy downpour, which then included small hail! After a couple of miles, the rain/hail storm went away and the wind turned wild to the point that I had to struggle to stay on the road and not let it blow me into the ditch. But... I made it, albeit in 66min.
    bet you felt all hard core afterwards, didn't you?

That frikken Canadian djl_ottawa's Avatar
    djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) djl_ottawa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Crap forgot about those links DBX. Thanks for the reminder ;>

And yeah, meant to ask about that reply. What do you mean VO2? Oxygen levels? So by running at what you mentioned that will help increase it? Now like I said I am a total running newbie.

Guess it makes sense though. The more you run, the better your lungs get for running longer times and / or distance. Ok, I will take a gander at those links.
    djl_ottawa

"The trouble with opportunity is that it always comes disguised as hard work."

Body type: Mesomorp
    "You have a naturally fit body but to maintain it or improve it you should exercise and diet correctly for your type."

Don't listen to your scale, listen to your clothes

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by djl_ottawa View Post
    And yeah, meant to ask about that reply. What do you mean VO2? Oxygen levels? So by running at what you mentioned that will help increase it? Now like I said I am a total running newbie.
    Yes, increasing your ability to run short spurts hard & fast....with allow you to run long distances much faster and more comfortably than you can now. They will help you meet both of your immediate goals; running 1.5 in under 10 (?) and run a 5K no sweat (well, a little sweat ).
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

NOW we're getting somewhere!

Just registered to run this in July:

http://www.mcrrc.org/races/RileysRumble/

going to use Higdon's novice HM training plan.

Can't WAIT to start training for this sucker!

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post

90 days for a 13 miler? Ambitious, my friend! I'm sure you can do it, but damn. I admittedly haven't been "training" for anything, but those two 10 milers I did? I couldn't have run another freaking 1/2 mile. Or at least, I sure as hell didn't think I could. Might have been a mental finish line kinda deal, but man, I was cooked. It'll be interesting to follow your training progress.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) runner05 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Wow, it sounds like you're really ramping it up, Lori! Very nice!

And as Lori will attest to, yes, dbx believes in tough love. Engage...or don't.
    Thx hun! Ah heck... I've heard that sexy voice... I think you just play tuff! hehe
    bet you felt all hard core afterwards, didn't you?
    It was awesome!

Congrats! You go!!!
    90 days for a 13 miler? Ambitious, my friend! I'm sure you can do it, but damn. I admittedly haven't been "training" for anything, but those two 10 milers I did? I couldn't have run another freaking 1/2 mile. Or at least, I sure as hell didn't think I could. Might have been a mental finish line kinda deal, but man, I was cooked. It'll be interesting to follow your training progress.
    Here's where the tuff luv comes in... hehe

90 days for a HM? Yes, most definitely not a problem! As a matter of fact... w/ all the crap going on in my life, the entire month of March was almost a no-run month for me w/ a couple of exceptions. So, I "seriously" started training for my HM not quite two weeks ago and it is on May 9... so, dammit Kev... you can do anything you set your mind to!!! But, then, I'm a stubborn German and really believe that...

I know I won't beat my HM time from last year, but I'll be happy just to run it! That's more than Kevin's gonna do!!! hehe (OK, Kevin, it's time for you to run one!)

Onomatopoeia == good buzz bhaputi's Avatar
    bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    90 days is enough for a HM, especially to finish it. If you want to race it, though, then you will really need to focus your training. I used a plan from coolrunning.com for my half (which is 9 days away ), and it worked well. I extended it from a 12 week plan to a 17 week one myself, but it works pretty well. Just make sure to nail the long runs and, later in the training, the mid-week medium runs. Those are vital...

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The day before for Steve (Snoack) and 2 days before for Adam (Bando). We'll be thinking of you guys Sat & Sun, and we wish you both a great run each!
    I ended up only doing one 10 minute mile today, 2 hours after incline chest, shoulders and arms was to soon, no energy at all. A day of rest and stretching will be good before Sunday.

12:00 Sunday will be no holds barred, If I can still breathe I can run faster, all that matters is getting the runners ahead to be the runners behind. Can't wait.

Will be thinking about you tomorrow Snoak and will be checking your time before I head out Sunday.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck on your 5k's today guys
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

Originally Posted by bhaputi View Post
    90 days is enough for a HM, especially to finish it. If you want to race it, though, then you will really need to focus your training. I used a plan from coolrunning.com for my half (which is 9 days away ), and it worked well. I extended it from a 12 week plan to a 17 week one myself, but it works pretty well. Just make sure to nail the long runs and, later in the training, the mid-week medium runs. Those are vital...
    I'm going to be using Higdon's novice plan.

All right gang, I'm out of here. Cath up with you in a few hours with a time.

32:36. Course was almost entirely up and down hill. Talked to some experienced racers afterwards and they said that it was one of the tougher courses that they had run at that distance.

As it turned out, my buddy from my TKD school ran it, and we ran it together, carrying on a conversation tha whole way. I could have probably run it harder, but I decided to just relax and enjoy it.

Came in 27th out of 104 racers, and the experienced racers I talked to told me that my performance was really strong for somebody running a first race.

32:36. Course was almost entirely up and down hill. Talked to some experienced racers afterwards and they said that it was one of the tougher courses that they had run at that distance.
    Congrats on completing it. You've done very well in a short time period for getting back into run. Kudos!

As it turned out, my buddy from my TKD school ran it, and we ran it together, carrying on a conversation tha whole way. I could have probably run it harder, but I decided to just relax and enjoy it.
    Now WTF is this ^ about? The Runner's Thread is a "no fronting zone" . As competitive as you say you are, you are now telling us that you ran a leisurely pace to where you could chat with a pal...during a race?

Came in 27th out of 104 racers, and the experienced racers I talked to told me that my performance was really strong for somebody running a first race.
    Sounds like a relatively small race with only 100 runners. But then, I really wouldn't know, as I've only run in the same one twice. But that has to really be a tough course for only 25% to have run faster than your 32 min time. Day-um.......

Saturday 4/25/09

Ran with my 18yr old again, as has become our Saturday ritual. I was stressing today after the first 2.5 miles. His MP3 was "dead", so I left mine at home. I forgot what it was like to hear myself gasping so loudly for air . Maybe that's what psychologically was beating me for the 2nd half of the run. It was also about 70* (75* right now and will be 85* for the high today) and felt hot to me.

Distance - 5 Miles even
    Time - 46:45
    152/175

Glad I got it done, as I have many things to do today. And damn it, I only ate 3 "doughnut holes" and a bit more homemade popcorn than usual and was a few lbs heavier this morning. I know it's water, but damn it!

Sounds like a relatively small race with only 100 runners. But then, I really wouldn't know, as I've only run in the same one twice. But that has to really be a tough course for only 25% to have run faster than your 32 min time. Day-um.......
    yeah, I talked Jeff into it a couple weeks ago, was real happy to see he showed up.

This was the first year for this race, and yeah, it was a BIATCH... I would guess that probably no more then a mile total of it was on flat ground, if that. Picked up a real good downhill technique. My friend that I ran with ran cross country in high school and college, so he had a lot of good technical knowledge and was telling me about his down hill technique. He put his arms out and kind of let himself "fall" down the hill, using gravity to save steps.

bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Man - the heat really sucks it outta me. 82 Degrees at 10 AM when I went out. 7 miles in 1:02 (8:53 pace), with the first 4 spent chatting with a 59 year old guy I was running with until he hit a crack in the sidewalk and literally did a Superman. Poor guy will be hurting tomorrow....

Snoack - talking during running is for training - during races, the only sound should be the train-like sounds of your breathing

Seriously, though - good job on your 5K. I started with my first being 38+ minutes. Let's see how low you can go

Snoack - talking during running is for training - during races, the only sound should be the train-like sounds of your breathing

Seriously, though - good job on your 5K. I started with my first being 38+ minutes. Let's see how low you can go
    thanks man! We pushed each other pretty good. We've been competeing at TKD for a couple years now...guy came in 10 seconds ahead of me, started his kick sooner. I sprinted the last 30-40 yards.

btw...I'm fighter61464 over at RW.com. I saw you over there and thought I'd let you know.

Man - the heat really sucks it outta me. 82 Degrees at 10 AM when I went out. 7 miles in 1:02 (8:53 pace), with the first 4 spent chatting with a 59 year old guy I was running with until he hit a crack in the sidewalk and literally did a Superman. Poor guy will be hurting tomorrow....
    And just think, it's not even summertime yet . I meant to comment earlier; very nice pace for that run. I figured ours (son & I) at 9:21 for 5 miles this morning. I was pretty damn happy with that! But as usual, I wasn't trying to run fast. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I could have anyway, lol. I just try to keep enough in the tank for the return trip, and I swear I almost wussed out today. If I had consciously tried to run faster, I probably would have been lucky to have completed 2 miles without stopping. I really suck at trying to pace myself.

LOL, so did you just leave the old (wait...he's only 9yrs older than me ) man lying there or what?

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pretty nervous, need to get to bed and sleep but I never sleep well before a race. Running shoes and clothes all packed and set to attend early Church service (= less sleep) Last year at this race my buddy won it in 18 minutes and then ran back to me and coaxed me to my best time ever. He emailed me and is running again this year, if he comes back for me this time he's gonna find that I'm not nearly as conditioned as last year.

I'll post my results Sunday evening.

thanks man! We pushed each other pretty good. We've been competeing at TKD for a couple years now...guy came in 10 seconds ahead of me, started his kick sooner. I sprinted the last 30-40 yards.

btw...I'm fighter61464 over at RW.com. I saw you over there and thought I'd let you know.
    I have seen you around - noticed the tat

And just think, it's not even summertime yet . I meant to comment earlier; very nice pace for that run. I figured ours (son & I) at 9:21 for 5 miles this morning. I was pretty damn happy with that! But as usual, I wasn't trying to run fast. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I could have anyway, lol. I just try to keep enough in the tank for the return trip, and I swear I almost wussed out today. If I had consciously tried to run faster, I probably would have been lucky to have completed 2 miles without stopping. I really suck at trying to pace myself.

LOL, so did you just leave the old (wait...he's only 9yrs older than me ) man lying there or what?
    Thanks - I should be happy with that type of pace, but I never seem to be happy with my speed. I know I need to learn to treat easy runs as truly easy, but I never seem to be able to do that...

As for the old guy - I helped him up We were in front of the place we started, so he just stayed there while I did an additional loop...

Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Pretty nervous, need to get to bed and sleep but I never sleep well before a race. Running shoes and clothes all packed and set to attend early Church service (= less sleep) Last year at this race my buddy won it in 18 minutes and then ran back to me and coaxed me to my best time ever. He emailed me and is running again this year, if he comes back for me this time he's gonna find that I'm not nearly as conditioned as last year.

I'll post my results Sunday evening.
    Don't worry about the sleep (I know it is likely too late for you to read this anyways). The most important night sleepwise is 2 nights before the race anyways

Good luck!

Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000)

Way to go! Congrats on completing your first 5k! Hills are a challenge -- my first race about a month ago had some nice hills toward the end, and they kind of suck the energy out of you (all psychological, I'm sure).

mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Great race June 27

I am involved in a charity and if anyone is interested I put together a 5k race in Seville Ohio. It is June 27th at 8:30. Here is the link on Active.com
    http://www.active.com/page/Event_Det...0-2F8D4B636492

Hope nobody minds me advertising this here. With the economy the way it is we have been hit hard trying to provide assistence to families and I'm hoping this years race will really help us out.

p.s. 100% of the registration fee (aside what acitve.com takes) goes to providing support for people in need.

28:17.

Not happy but not that surprised considering how little I've trained. My buddy took 2nd and came back for me, really pushed me at the end. I ran most of the way with a guy from my town who was determined to beat me, he really should have. When Nate came back I left the guy behind but he was like a dog on a bone, I could hear his footsteps and breathing behind me towards the end, but at 200 yards from the finish I went into a full sprint. It would have been fun if he had enough left to sprint at the end and make it a real one on one footrace, but he just didn't have it.

I feel a little guilty for having a ringer pacing me at the end, and I'm not happy with my time so I'll chalk this one up as a learning experience. Train properly for a race.

28:17.
    Not bad at all, my friend Congrats!

Not bad at all, my friend Congrats!
    Not bad but not good. My big take away is my son seeing lots of kids his age running the race, now he's all fired up to run one.

Not bad but not good.
    Well, you know me...I don't BS...much . It sucks when you don't beat previous run times. So from that perspective, you didn't do great. But OTOH, having not run much lately, it's a very good time, imo (and hell, only 1 min slower than when I practice for mine! lol). For me, it's just nice that I reached a point were I know I can run one any day I want, even if my time might not be great.

My big take away is my son seeing lots of kids his age running the race, now he's all fired up to run one.
    Definitely cool.

Eli (age 8 with asthma) just ran a 5k on our treadmill in 37 minutes. Apparently this stuff rubs off.

Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey, all,
    Hope you had a good weekend, and that the races lived up to your expectations! Bando, your time is nothing to sneeze at.

I spent the weekend mostly doing house/yard work, but still made time for some running and a lot of stretching. I'm not sure, but I think the achilles tendon soreness may be decreasing somewhat (or maybe it's just that I've been running shorter distances over this last week). Hopefully, the increased attention to stretching is doing some good.

On Wednesday, Fleet Feet is doing a seminar/workshop here through our health center on "finding the correct shoe". I've never been fitted for shoes or had my stride analyzed by an expert; I'm on my first pair of running shoes right now--New Balance 992's--which are rated for stability and I bought 6 months ago based on good reviews . For all I know, I over-pronate when I run (though the wear pattern on the bottom of the shoes doesn't seem to fit that) which could account for the minor ITB and achilles challenges I've faced over the last few months. Hopefully, this session will give me some more information.

The plan this week is an easy run today, which I plan to do out of doors (going to be in the 90's today!), followed by about 5 miles on Wednesday and 7 on Saturday. Working my way back up in mileage.

And now, a quick question for those of you who are both runners and lifters (most, I suppose): how do you handle "bulking/cutting" issues -- in other words, what do you shoot for in terms of caloric surplus or deficit? I'm not a big guy, though I'd like to have more LBM and less bodyfat at about the weight I am now or a little heavier. Thus far, I've kind of taken a "patient" approach of eating right around maintenance calories, but I'm wondering if a slight surplus might be a better approach (followed by a slight cutting period).

Part of the problem is I've had great success losing bodyfat, but not much experience gaining lean body mass, so I have little confidence that a surplus combined with ongoing weightlifting would put on muscle instead of just adding fat, which wouldn't be that great a thing for running OR for the summertime, for that matter. Any thoughts?

Happy running,
    A
    Last edited by Analyst; 04-27-2009 at 03:26 AM.