Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Should I feel motivated again then I will take the (rather generic) advice offerer in this thread.

As I said above, at the moment (by suspending/stopping my gym training) I feel less stressed like a smoker who has quit their exensive habit.

No I'm not saying that the gym is unhealthy (like smoking), but I'm VERY apprehensive of starting out again a hobby which cost me a ****ing fortune, and 18 months of effort with ZERO reward.

Now it's okay you guys making it sound as easy as following the advice in a few stickies, but to put it bluntly, for my own personal development I don't believe it is this straight-forward at all.

As far as my own well being is concerned, I am currently of the opinion that it is better for me physically, mentally and financially to restrain from weight-training for the foreseeable future.

Should I change my mind, then I'll remember to check out this forum.

And of course age, genetics & metabolism make a difference. There is no fact out there that every human being can/will respond to resistance training, more than gaining a few lbs of muscle.
    Last edited by Kent80; 02-01-2012 at 03:59 AM.

doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Kent80 View Post
    Should I feel motivated again then I will take the (rather generic) advice offerer in this thread.

As I said above, at the moment (by suspending/stopping my gym training) I feel less stressed like a smoker who has quit their exensive habit.

No I'm not saying that the gym is unhealthy (like smoking), but I'm VERY apprehensive of starting out again a hobby which cost me a ****ing fortune, and 18 months of effort with ZERO reward.

Now it's okay you guys making it sound as easy as following the advice in a few stickies, but to put it bluntly, for my own personal development I don't believe it is this straight-forward at all.

As far as my own well being is concerned, I am currently of the opinion that it is better for me physically, mentally and financially to restrain from weight-training for the foreseeable future.

Should I change my mind, then I'll remember to check out this forum.

And of course age, genetics & metabolism make a difference. There is no fact out there that every human being can/will respond to resistance training, more than gaining a few lbs of muscle.
    LOL, godspeed op. I'm done here. Wish you all the best

hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by doiteros View Post
    LOL, godspeed op. I'm done here. Wish you all the best
    Me too.

Just this: OP, you are not a unique snowflake.

taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) taptomyarmbar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP has gone full retard here. :-O

AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Kent, It's your choice, but please don't cop out. It REALLY can be simple - its just about knowing that you CAN and MUST push past the feeling of being uncomfortable in the gym and push those reps until you really can't push anymore.

The diet is important, and I have suffred for the last 18 months because of it. I didnt follow my own experiences in the gym and just plodded along.

Get in the gym, do free weight NOT MACHINES, pile on the plates, and LIFT until you CAN LIFT NO MORE within the 8-12 rep range, max 4 sets per main bodypart compound lift, 2 or 3 sets for the smaller excercises. Lift 3 or 4 days a week. It DOES and WILL work.

Genetics and age are a factor in bodybuilding yes, but only when you get to PRO and ELITE level. At the level you are, genetics make fukc all difference. Honestly.
    "I'll do today what others won't so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - such a fitting quote for bodybuilding!

Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kent80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlanApe View Post
    Kent, It's your choice, but please don't cop out. It REALLY can be simple - its just about knowing that you CAN and MUST push past the feeling of being uncomfortable in the gym and push those reps until you really can't push anymore.

The diet is important, and I have suffred for the last 18 months because of it. I didnt follow my own experiences in the gym and just plodded along.

Get in the gym, do free weight NOT MACHINES, pile on the plates, and LIFT until you CAN LIFT NO MORE within the 8-12 rep range, max 4 sets per main bodypart compound lift, 2 or 3 sets for the smaller excercises. Lift 3 or 4 days a week. It DOES and WILL work.

Genetics and age are a factor in bodybuilding yes, but only when you get to PRO and ELITE level. At the level you are, genetics make fukc all difference. Honestly.
    Okay, fair enough. Firstly, though I am going to try to find out more about nutrition though. I understand the basics, about proteins, carbs and fats, but am clueless as to what would work for my body type, eating a calorie surplus or deficit.

shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It has to become a lifestyle. You have too eat a ton and eat frequently. You also have to view each workout session as an opportunity to better yourself. You never ''just get by'' a workout session and you never skip. you must always try to push yourself and break your limits.

The other night I had a bad cold and decided it was best to rest and not go to the gym. Well halfway home from work (I workout straight after work) I turned around and went to the gym. It was leg day and I set a new squat pr. That's the dedication it takes. No excuses. No bull. Never give up and never be afraid to fail.

ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000)
    ITT: op is a *******

Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Actually cannot believe the stupidity.

Rise Up From Muspelheim cdeffenbaugh's Avatar
    cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cdeffenbaugh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    stopped reading at "Until Xmas 2011 I'd been training eighteen months with about a net gain of 1lb of muscle."

Originally Posted by shorkey View Post
    It has to become a lifestyle. You have too eat a ton and eat frequently. You also have to view each workout session as an opportunity to better yourself. You never ''just get by'' a workout session and you never skip. you must always try to push yourself and break your limits.

The other night I had a bad cold and decided it was best to rest and not go to the gym. Well halfway home from work (I workout straight after work) I turned around and went to the gym. It was leg day and I set a new squat pr. That's the dedication it takes. No excuses. No bull. Never give up and never be afraid to fail.
    I'll ****ing kill myself in the gym if I know that what I am doing will yield results, the same as I'll do whatever it takes at work or personally to achieve results.

Unfortunately, though, with what I know at the moment with regards a plan (or lack of it), that would be like getting behind the wheel of car, setting off on a long tourney without a map, and spending three hours driving around the same few streets near where I live, as the people I ask for directions so far have all given me different routes to follow.

The food part confuses the **** out of me most of all. I keep reading about ectomorph, mesomorphs and endomorphs. I'm none of these. I'm halfway between and ecto and an endo, but definately not a meso if that makes sense. I would say a few pound over being skinny, but a bit of a darby going on around the middle. So, one trainer tells me to eat an excess, another a defecit, and I'm going nowhere.

Originally Posted by cdeffenbaugh View Post
    stopped reading at "Until Xmas 2011 I'd been training eighteen months with about a net gain of 1lb of muscle."
    You strike me as the sort of fella who's choice of reading material normally starts along the lines of: "once upon a time..."
    Last edited by Kent80; 02-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.

shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000) shorkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'll ****ing kill myself in the gym if I know that what I am doing will yield results, the same as I'll do whatever it takes at work or personally to achieve results.

Unfortunately, though, with what I know at the moment with regards a plan (or lack of it), that would be like getting behind the wheel of car, setting off on a long tourney without a map, and spending three hours driving around the same few streets near where I live, as the people I ask for directions so far have all given me different routes to follow.

The food part confuses the **** out of me most of all. I keep reading about ectomorph, mesomorphs and endomorphs. I'm none of these. I'm halfway between and ecto and an endo, but definately not a meso if that makes sense. I would say a few pound over being skinny, but a bit of a darby going on around the middle. So, one trainer tells me to eat an excess, another a defecit, and I'm going nowhere.
    Youre making this way too complicated and youre way overthinking everything. You should instead train eat and sleep.

When it comes to not having a plan. Its very simple. Just follow a set workout program. There are tons on this website alone. Follow a program and stick with it for a while. I didnt read the entire thread and so I dont know what routines you tried. Bottom line is choose a program that will keep you motivated. Consume a good pre workout and make sure you try to push yourself every gym session. Youre getting many different answers because you can have success with many different plans. They probably all work. Its just a question of surpassing yourself and eating a ton. You have to adopt the lifestyle. Your body reflects your lifestyle. Maybe instead of high volume, try something like MAX OT. Look up that program. Its pretty simple and if you keep adding more weight to the bar you are becoming bigger and stronger. Its always hard to lift a heavier weight or to do that 1 extra rep but that's the only way to grow. Every gym session must be hard.

Now for nutrition, here's today as an example:

-Breakfast(7AM): 5 eggs, bowl of oatmeal, 25 mixed non salted nuts, animal pak multi vitamin with large glass of OJ
    -mid morning snack(10AM): protein shake +banana
    -Lunch: chicken breasts with a mix of veggies and rice, 2 greek yogourts for desert
    -early afternoon snack: apple
    -mid afternoon snack: protein bar
    -after workout (I workout straight after work): protein shake immediately after working out
    -Diner as soon as I get home from gym: Salmon filet with rice and mixed veggies
    -evening snack: half a container of cottage cheeze
    -before bed: protein shake
    Plus during the day I have some mixed non salted nuts at the office that I will munch on. I just try to consume at least 30g of protein every 3 hours at the latest and try to hit 200-250 g for the day. But even this isnt much. I will be adding more food to my diet.

ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000) ghattanj is just really nice. (+1000)

LMFAO! Roids? You gotta be kidding me!

hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

-Breakfast(7AM): 5 eggs, bowl of oatmeal, 25 mixed non salted nuts, animal pak multi vitamin with large glass of OJ
    -Lunch: chicken breasts with a mix of veggies and rice, 2 greek yogourts for desert
    -after workout (I workout straight after work): protein shake immediately after working out
    Plus during the day I have some mixed non salted nuts at the office that I will munch on. I just try to consume at least 30g of protein every 3 hours at the latest and try to hit 200-250 g for the day. But even this isnt much. I will be adding more food to my diet.
    Totally unnecessary and restrictive. U mad I ate - among other things - a bar of chocolate, gummi bears, and various other sweets for the past days and still have ab veins?
    BB nutrition is so ****ing simple, you just have to count your total calories, protein intake, and get some dietary fat as well. There is no need to eat every x minutes, or eat only "clean" food. Go to the nutrition subforum and read up on some basics (no offense).

Ridiculous myth-driven diets like this are the main reason why most people freak out and run themselves into the ground. Flexible dieting and easy adherence is where it's at.

doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50) doiteros will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Youre making this way too complicated and youre way overthinking everything. You should instead train eat and sleep.

When it comes to not having a plan. Its very simple. Just follow a set workout program. There are tons on this website alone. Follow a program and stick with it for a while. I didnt read the entire thread and so I dont know what routines you tried. Bottom line is choose a program that will keep you motivated. Consume a good pre workout and make sure you try to push yourself every gym session. Youre getting many different answers because you can have success with many different plans. They probably all work. Its just a question of surpassing yourself and eating a ton. You have to adopt the lifestyle. Your body reflects your lifestyle. Maybe instead of high volume, try something like MAX OT. Look up that program. Its pretty simple and if you keep adding more weight to the bar you are becoming bigger and stronger. Its always hard to lift a heavier weight or to do that 1 extra rep but that's the only way to grow. Every gym session must be hard.

I liked the part where you didn't overcomplicate. 6 meals a day is a myth, 1lb protein per pound bw too for that matter. I bet OP is confused as fuk right about now

I dont overcomplicate anything. That was just an example of what Im eating today. Its not 6 meals as I dont consider a shake or a protein bar a meal. As for the timing, I just go with my work schedule. I eat breakfast, lunch and diner like anybody and have snacks throughout the day.

I dont even count or weigh anything when it comes to eating. The 200/240g is just an estimation. So I think Im keeping things pretty simple. Also since I went from 150 to 185 or so I think my nutrition is fine although I could probably add some.

Bertstarin' since 90' datderebjjguy's Avatar
    datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lol everyone seems to be getting really mad. Maybe he just doesen't have it in him, to push himself to his physical limits 5+ times a week. Training hard and eating right + dedicating yourself to health and self improvment isent for everyone and it makes it that much sweeter for those of us who do have that drive.

Originally Posted by datderebjjguy View Post
    lol everyone seems to be getting really mad. Maybe he just doesen't have it in him, to push himself to his physical limits 5+ times a week. Training hard and eating right + dedicating yourself to health and self improvment isent for everyone and it makes it that much sweeter for those of us who do have that drive.
    If I didn't think I had the dedication then why would I waste my time on this forum chatting to people, money on supplements, food, gym membership etc. Surely I'd either give up, or try harder.

My gut feeling is that my training is reasonably good, that I understand the basics of nutrition but can't apply it to my own situation, and have a ****ing awful sleeping pattern.

Not sure what I can do about sleeping, but the nutrition side of it all is v.confusing. My diet is clean, but I'm guessing way, way out with regards calorie intake, macronutrients quantities & so forth.

If I wanted an easy option I'd have juiced months ago, but I appreciate the importance of getting a good diet, training plan in place above all else.

omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000) omglazer is just really nice. (+1000)
    eat more keep going. no one said it was easy

JuiceMcNasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuiceMcNasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuiceMcNasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JuiceMcNasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP please realize the money that you are spending is not necessary, try taking things from a light wallet approach. Don't stress so much about the supplements and focus more on your workout and diet choices as those will net you the most results. On a monthly basis I would say I spend about $310 towards getting in shape and my fitness goals, while this in itself does seem rather high take into account that includes my supplements, gym membership, and food costs (probably the highest in the bunch).

Only supplements I am currently on:

Assault (Pre-workout)
    Shred Matrix (Thermo)
    ON 100% Whey (Protein)
    GNC Mega Mens Sport Vitamin

Truth is aside from the Vitamin the rest of my supplements are truthfully optional, when you take this into account that cuts my supplementing costs by about 60$ a month. What I will say I do enjoy taking a pre-workout, thermo, and protein just for that extra edge. Plus it can truthfully be a bitch sometimes to try to hit my protein intake goals.

Getting in shape and seeing results doesn't have to be extremely expensive so long as you are willing to put forth the effort into achieving your goals. It is not easy but like they say nothing worth doing ever is. You just truthfully have to decide whether your going to be open-minded or pessimistic about your transformation, and believe me attitude has everything to do with it.

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If I didn't think I had the dedication then why would I waste my time on this forum chatting to people, money on supplements, food, gym membership etc. Surely I'd either give up, or try harder.

My gut feeling is that my training is reasonably good, that I understand the basics of nutrition but can't apply it to my own situation, and have a ****ing awful sleeping pattern.

Not sure what I can do about sleeping, but the nutrition side of it all is v.confusing. My diet is clean, but I'm guessing way, way out with regards calorie intake, macronutrients quantities & so forth.

If I wanted an easy option I'd have juiced months ago, but I appreciate the importance of getting a good diet, training plan in place above all else.
    If you told us exactly what your training and diet looks like we could give better advice on what you've been doing wrong and what you should change.

Regarding not knowing how to eat, just remember that you can't serve two masters. You won't be able to eat in a deficit and gain muscle, nor will you be able to eat in a surplus and lose fat. Pick one goal, losing fat or gaining muscle, and stick with it for 8-12 weeks before re-evaluating where you want to go. In that time you should have either gained 4-6 pounds, or lost 8-12. If those things haven't occured, then your calories are off.
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

Originally Posted by YoBigFatMomma View Post
    If you told us exactly what your training and diet looks like we could give better advice on what you've been doing wrong and what you should change.

Regarding not knowing how to eat, just remember that you can't serve two masters. You won't be able to eat in a deficit and gain muscle, nor will you be able to eat in a surplus and lose fat. Pick one goal, losing fat or gaining muscle, and stick with it for 8-12 weeks before re-evaluating where you want to go. In that time you should have either gained 4-6 pounds, or lost 8-12. If those things haven't occured, then your calories are off.
    Thanks for the advice.

My diet normally consists of three meals per day, plus two protein shakes.

Meals are made up of a source of protein, a source of carbs, and a source of healthy fats. For instance, breakfast would be egg whites, a bowl of oats, and a handful of almonds.

Lunch may be a salmon fillet, vegetables & whole grain rice, followed by 1 tbsp of peanut butter.

Evening meal would be about 150g of chicken breast, vegetables & quinoa.

Sometimes for a snack I won't bother with the protein powder and have spelt & cottage cheese instead, or dried fruit & nuts.

I usually have three 'cheat' meals per week, rather than a cheat day as I never really feel like cheating in the morning or at lunchtime so may have a chicken kebab, a Nando's, and a chicken curry or fillet steak as well.

I have no idea about macronutrients quantities, but know I am eating a calorie deficit, but my belly still remains.

Training, usually a four day split: chest, back, legs, shoulders. Mostly compound moves, time permitting I may aim for one or two isolation exercises afterwards, and core very much an after thought.

Don't train arms, I figure that they get trained with all the other stuff, and they're my best feature anyway.

Sleep pattern is horrendous. Average about six hours per night, sometimes four. Occasionally get a full 8 once per week.

Been told that since my hernia op, losing my gains (initially 9lbs of lean muscle in three months) that I'm highly stressed about my training (even more so since I pulled hernia again and will require an op) and that my sleeping pattern is ****ed and my body is awash with cortisol, hence fat deposits around lower abdomen.

Make of that what you will.

With regards attitude, mentality, I'd need hypnotherapy to convince me I can gain muscle.

Other areas of my life are no cause for concern. I wouldn't mind getting hold of a few more birds, but since I'll shag anything with a pussy & a pulse I'm not sexually depraved.

....and there you have it gentlemen...

DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DuderBrosef has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP is clearly a *******

Bertstarin' since 90' datderebjjguy's Avatar
    datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) datderebjjguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

fair enpough, its wrong of me to say what you do or don't have in you. That being said, not going to the gym anymore isen't the answer. Have you tried melatonin to help your sleep pattern? (lol at myself for suggesting a new supp) but its pretty cheap.

Also try limiting your caffeine intake throughout the day to get a better sleep . If your diet is good, training is intense and intelligent, and your getting enough rest there should be no reason you don't make gains.

I'm not sure if you've answered this yet, but do you squat, deadlift, do chinups, and dips? those 4 compound lifts have been my go to. switch it up from time to time and do the squats and deadlifts for high reps, aswell as weighted dips/chins for lower reps.

RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RGoose18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There's always going to be people like the OP in life. They're quitters.....they point the finger and blame others or "genetics" for their failures. I love having ppl like this in the world. It means more accomplishments for those of us who put in the hard work.

You enjoy that new car OP, take it through the burger king drivethru a few thousand times and then get back to us.....

Originally Posted by RGoose18 View Post
    There's always going to be people like the OP in life. They're quitters.....they point the finger and blame others or "genetics" for their failures. I love having ppl like this in the world. It means more accomplishments for those of us who put in the hard work.

You enjoy that new car OP, take it through the burger king drivethru a few thousand times and then get back to us.....
    If I never lift another weight again, then why would that go hand-in-hand with eating junk food?

Stereotyping a non-gym user as a junk food addict is no different my society stereotyping all bodybuilders as steroid using meat-heads.

I began using the gym to achieve the following: muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular fitness, aerobic endurance and a good body composition. I believe that an aesthetically pleasing physique is a by-product of these.

You talk about 'quitters'. What is your worldly advice then old bean? Since 18 months of practicing as I have been practicing have achieved next to nothing in the way of results. Keep on smashing myself to bits for another 18 just so I can tell people I didn't quit?

If I keep doing today what has failed to get results for the past year and a half, what makes YOU think that results will come my way?

Sensible answer please!

AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlanApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Right Kent80, For fu*k Sake. Here you go. ALL the information is on the stickies at the top of the "Nutrition" forum - read them. You WILL learn.

You weigh 160lbs there or there abouts. You want to gain muscle. Your typical calorific needs will be around 2200 cals. With workout, make it 2500. You want to grow, so for argument sake, lets say you need 2900 calories.

Simple.

You eat like this, no matter what time, what foods (as long as its pretty low in sugar and saturated fats, but not totally devoid of them):
    Carbohydrates: 300g (1200 calories) - there ar 4 calories per gram of carbs
    Protein: 200g (800 calories) - there are also 4 calores per gram of protein
    Fat: 100g (900 calories) - there are 9 calories per gram of fat

You can change these if oyu wish - you could knock off 25g of fat (225 calories less) and add 25g of carbs (100 cals) and 25g Protein (100 cals) if you wish. It doesnt make a huge amount of difference. It really is that simple. Try it for 2 weeks. If you are gaining weight at around 1lb or so a week, then great. If not, then add more calories in the same proportion. If you are losing weight, then add 500 more calories in the same proportion.

When you hit the gym, DO NOT DO MACHINE EXCERCISES - use the bars and dumbells. Put on a weight that allows you to lift 8 to 15 reps. Each set (of 8 to 15 reps) lift until you hit failure - NOT until you are a bit uncofmortable, but until you can;t lift it again. Do 3 sets of these per excercise. Do 3 excercisxes per bodypart. Do 2 bodyparts per workout. Workout 3 times a week. 4 if you want to. But you MUST go to near failure - yes, it hurts a bit and is uncomfotable, but thats what tears the muscle fibres in order for them to repair and grow. It's simple. Lastly, do NOT spend more than an hour (yes, 60 minutes) in the gym. Anything more, you aren't working hard enough. If you want, use SuperStrength 9google it) or MAX OT (more advanced but still a great workout and well explained). Alternatively do this:

Monday - chest & shoulders & triceps
    Wednesday - Legs and abs
    Friday - Back and biceps

You can even leave the triceps and biceps out if you want. It doesnt really make a big difference, as long as the big lifts (the squat, deadlift, benchpress) takes you to failure or very near failure.

Rememeber, if you aim for 12 reps and fail at 8, so what? Doesn't matter. You;'ve done enough. You aim for 12 but can do 15, so what, do them. Doesn't matter, as long as you reach failure or near failure.

Then rest.

It really, really is that simple. Ignore everything else. You do this for a few months, you will see the difference. But I can;t stress this enough - IGNORE WHAT OTHERS SAY OR DO IN THE GYM - stick to these principles, feel your own body, and you will be fine.

Also, I can;t stress this enough - you HAVE to go to failure or near failure. This does NOT mean until it is uncomfortable or a bit painful, it means until YOU CAN NOT LIFT THE BAR IN GOOD FORM FOR ANY MORE REPS.

It is simple as 5hit.
    Last edited by AlanApe; 02-02-2012 at 02:03 AM.
    "I'll do today what others won't so I can do tomorrow what others can't" - such a fitting quote for bodybuilding!

Originally Posted by AlanApe View Post
    Right Kent80, For fu*k Sake. Here you go. ALL the information is on the stickies at the top of the "Nutrition" forum - read them. You WILL learn.

You weigh 160lbs there or there abouts. You want to gain muscle. Your typical calorific needs will be around 2200 cals. With workout, make it 2500. You want to grow, so for argument sake, lets say you need 2900 calories.

Simple.

You eat like this, no matter what time, what foods (as long as its pretty low in sugar and saturated fats, but not totally devoid of them):
    Carbohydrates: 300g (1200 calories) - there ar 4 calories per gram of carbs
    Protein: 200g (800 calories) - there are also 4 calores per gram of protein
    Fat: 100g (900 calories) - there are 9 calories per gram of fat

You can change these if oyu wish - you could knock off 25g of fat (225 calories less) and add 25g of carbs (100 cals) and 25g Protein (100 cals) if you wish. It doesnt make a huge amount of difference. It really is that simple. Try it for 2 weeks. If you are gaining weight at around 1lb or so a week, then great. If not, then add more calories in the same proportion. If you are losing weight, then add 500 more calories in the same proportion.

When you hit the gym, DO NOT DO MACHINE EXCERCISES - use the bars and dumbells. Put on a weight that allows you to lift 8 to 15 reps. Each set (of 8 to 15 reps) lift until you hit failure - NOT until you are a bit uncofmortable, but until you can;t lift it again. Do 3 sets of these per excercise. Do 3 excercisxes per bodypart. Do 2 bodyparts per workout. Workout 3 times a week. 4 if you want to. But you MUST go to near failure - yes, it hurts a bit and is uncomfotable, but thats what tears the muscle fibres in order for them to repair and grow. It's simple. Lastly, do NOT spend more than an hour (yes, 60 minutes) in the gym. Anything more, you aren't working hard enough. If you want, use SuperStrength 9google it) or MAX OT (more advanced but still a great workout and well explained). Alternatively do this:

Monday - chest & shoulders & triceps
    Wednesday - Legs and abs
    Friday - Back and biceps

You can even leave the triceps and biceps out if you want. It doesnt really make a big difference, as long as the big lifts (the squat, deadlift, benchpress) takes you to failure or very near failure.

Rememeber, if you aim for 12 reps and fail at 8, so what? Doesn't matter. You;'ve done enough. You aim for 12 but can do 15, so what, do them. Doesn't matter, as long as you reach failure or near failure.

Then rest.

It really, really is that simple. Ignore everything else. You do this for a few months, you will see the difference. But I can;t stress this enough - IGNORE WHAT OTHERS SAY OR DO IN THE GYM - stick to these principles, feel your own body, and you will be fine.

Also, I can;t stress this enough - you HAVE to go to failure or near failure. This does NOT mean until it is uncomfortable or a bit painful, it means until YOU CAN NOT LIFT THE BAR IN GOOD FORM FOR ANY MORE REPS.

It is simple as 5hit.
    Thank you for the advice.

One question: If I notice I am gaining fat at a greater ratio than muscle what do I do? In the past I've reduced my calories, but would you suggest keep on eating an excess and hope that my gains in muscle will eventually overtake initial gains in fat.

I gain fat really easily.