waltersb123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do I need to train abs?

Hey bros.. what is your opinion on training abs? I've been training for 2 years now and have never had body fat low enough to see abs... my question is.. if I cut down to 10% body fat will my abs look decent? And will my obliques look good? Any replies would be much appreciated

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you care about abs, then you should train them, just like with any other muscle group.

How you'll look @10%BF is hard to say, even more so without seeing a picture of your current form.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

Registered User AussieAthletics's Avatar
    AussieAthletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieAthletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieAthletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Many variables my dude, for instance are you doing solid compound lifts compared to isolated, are you actively engaging your core in your lifts? Some body builders will say abs do not need training if you are lifting heavy weights correctly etc. Also genetics can affect the outcome at lower levels too. In saying that but I don't see why you wouldn't just train abs. They're enjoyable to train and you can literally spend 10-15 minutes on them at the end of a session every few days and remove the doubt for when you finally cut. Also depending on your current BF% you can quite easily tell (hear me out here haha) by doing a really braced crunch just standing (or sitting doesn't matter) and can try feel for the ab muscles through your belly fat lol. I know it sounds dumb but you can definitely feel them even with some substantial body fat covering them. If you don't feel any of them then I think yes definitely start training your abs and obliques. Man I hope this post helps haha.
    ¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸ 100% DIET ¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸¸„+*ˆˆ*+„¸

Registered User TheFuarkingBoss's Avatar
    TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes

Brah

Unfortunately I can't upload a pic as my phone camera has cracked. However, my stats are:
    Height 5ft 8
    Weight 90 kg
    Body fat 18%

Thanks man. I've always performed the 3 main compound movements. I should definitely start training abs.. it's just one of those things where my body fat has always been too high to see them.. so I just think what's the point! Can definitely feel the muscles there! In the morning when I've not eaten I can see the top 2 abs.. obliques are what look most badass in my opinion!!!

Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jedee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AussieAthletics View Post
    ...Also depending on your current BF% you can quite easily tell (hear me out here haha) by doing a really braced crunch just standing (or sitting doesn't matter) and can try feel for the ab muscles through your belly fat lol. I know it sounds dumb but you can definitely feel them even with some substantial body fat covering them. If you don't feel any of them then I think yes definitely start training your abs and obliques. Man I hope this post helps haha.
    Chiming in to say this is something I do too!! doesn't sound dumb to me, but could just be an Aussie thing hahaha

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Anyone that has spent even just a few hundred hours reading about common physical therapy protocols, injuries, imbalances...etc. will tell you that abs are very important for hip health. Even if you didn't care about having low bodyfat and showing off abs they are still important to work. Same for glutes, rear delts and lower traps. They basically all need direct work on some level for 90% of the population.

Unmoggable Ass Pirate Slayermanlet's Avatar
    Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol yes it's a hugely important and large set of muscles. Very important for overall strength and injury prevention. Disregard all the bs about them getting enough work through squats and deads etc.

Here are three exercises for you.

Ab wheel (GOAT imo work up to doing it with plates on your back, use proper form)
    Hanging leg raises (google progressions and work through them)
    Hardstyle plank (google it)

Those are all you need. You can also throw in side planks.

philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Slayermanlet View Post
    lol yes it's a hugely important and large set of muscles. Very important for overall strength and injury prevention. Disregard all the bs about them getting enough work through squats and deads etc.

Here are three exercises for you.

Ab wheel (GOAT imo work up to doing it with plates on your back, use proper form)
    Hanging leg raises (google progressions and work through them)
    Hardstyle plank (google it)

Those are all you need. You can also throw in side planks.
    ^ these three exercises
    I actually switched from a bs crunch/bicycle abs/other bs movement routine to these exact three exercises (plus weighted cable crunches and axe cutters) a few weeks ago and the difference was immediate.

I wholly advocate these (done properly) over some nonsense crunches that you blast 100's of them and don't really feel anything.

Unmoggable Ass Pirate Slayermanlet's Avatar
    Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Slayermanlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by philgriffiths View Post
    ^ these three exercises
    I actually switched from a bs crunch/bicycle abs/other bs movement routine to these exact three exercises (plus weighted cable crunches and axe cutters) a few weeks ago and the difference was immediate.

I wholly advocate these (done properly) over some nonsense crunches that you blast 100's of them and don't really feel anything.
    On rc ab crew represent

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Halos
    hanging leg raises
    t-bar oblique twist
    wood choppers
    oblique cable twists.

I think it is more important to train obliques than abs, abs do take a beating if you are training "properly" but obliques often get left in the dust. Also those exercises train abs too.

philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    t-bar oblique twist
    off to google I go :-)

ab crew represent all day
    "Through Calorie-counting all things are possible" : Phil 19:26

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by philgriffiths View Post
    off to google I go :-)

ab crew represent all day
    They are great because you can overload, and they don't leave you exhausted like hanging leg raises do.

All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) All-Star11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    train abs crew