Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000)

Phozo's Cocktail and Cigar-fueled Bulking Log

I haven't been a frequent poster on BB.com, but I've spent enough time in the nutrition forum to be convinced that it's bulking time and regardless of how few people visit, view, or post in this log, it is definitely a useful motivational tool for packing it on.

History:

Right, like everyone else, I was horribly out of shape. 225 lbs at 5' 10".

Also suffered from severe depression (which I would discover later was caused by a low-fat diet) and borderline alcoholism.

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Pancrase saved my life. I dropped to 185 lbs which is where I am now to fight at 170 lbs. I don't roll anymore....switched from pure strength training to bodybuilding, which has left me with a somewhat awkwardly proportioned body.

I have massive obliques compared to the rest of me (from boxing and grappling) as well as a big upper back and neck, but strong narrow lats. TINY legs and overall non-bodybuilder proportioned physique. We'll see how this is affected during my bulk. My love handles are going to rock.

The Goal:

A clean bulk. (sort of.)
    Gaining strength and size until I reach 17% bodyfat or I look gross in the mirror, whichever comes first.
    Move by bench press and bb row past 360 lbs.
    Finally give my legs some size/strength.

Currently:
    186 lbs
    12% BF

The Excuses:

So for all of you newbies with every excuse in the world not to train hard and kick ass, let me list my petty little excuses (that I'll be categorically ignoring as I plow through PRs.)

1. I sit on my ass all day. I'm a skull-ring maker and spend most of my day on a workbench.
    2. I have three jobs. The other two I can't discuss, but rest assured I sit on my ass there too.
    3. I'm not giving up alcohol. In fact, I'll be posting pictures of amazing, life-changing cocktails when I have them.
    4. I'm not taking any supplements other than a whey shake, fish oil, and a multi.
    5. I have a ton of injuries. Shoulder surgery (recurring) and a hernia as well as broken ribs, toes, and fingers that continue to cause occasional pain.
    6. I smoke cigars and pipes and the occasional cigarette. I've done it every day for over a decade and I can still box 12 rounds and run 2 miles with my mouth closed. Smoking is one of my favorite things to do and I will never stop.
    7. I'm not 18. I'm in my 30s.

The Eating

Calories will start at 3000.

Week 1: 3000 cal
    Week 2: 3100 cal
    Week 3: 3200 cal
    Week 4: 3400 cal (anticipated bulking number)
    Week 5 and up : Will continue to increase by 100 cals every two weeks if necessary until bulking number is achieved.

I'm usually a hi-fat guy. I'm going to try a more balanced carb/fat diet on this bulk.

The Routine

2 Week rotational split.

Week A
    1: Power/Strength Upper body Push
    2: Legs
    3: Hypertrophy Back / Bis
    4: Boxing / Grappling
    5: Hypertrophy Chest / Shoulders / Tris

Week B
    1: Power/Strength Upper body Pull
    2: Legs
    3: Hypertrophy Chest / Tris
    4: Boxing / Running
    5: Hypertrophy Back / Shoulders / Bis

I'll be measuring my lifts on Day 1 of each week and weighing myself the mornings of Day 4.

Broscience you will find here that you shouldn't necessarily replicate:

1. I drink protein shakes. I think it tastes awesome. I even do a post workout shake.
    2. I eat more protein than I need. 210 to 220 grams a day.
    3. I like yoga.
    4. About once every two months, I spend 3-4 hours in an isolation tank (like in the movie Altered States.)
    5. I train about 60 minutes after a small meal. I don't like training on an empty stomach.

So we're off. Bulk starts on Monday. It's on like Donkey Kong Jr.
    Attached Images
    ---
    This Machine Kills Fascists.
    ---
    BULKING LOG : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137967093&pagenumber=
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---
    "He runs, an activity that we defeated eons ago when humans discovered we are slower than every other animal on earth and can ride horses" - joelash302

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In!

Good luck! I think you will build your lats and legs up quickly on this bulk - especially legs.

phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cheers. Should be an adventure. If my legs get bigger, I'm tattooing a martini glass on each quad.
    ---
    ---
    BULKING LOG : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137967093&pagenumber=
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---
    "He runs, an activity that we defeated eons ago when humans discovered we are slower than every other animal on earth and can ride horses" - joelash302

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by phozosado View Post
    Cheers. Should be an adventure. If my legs get bigger, I'm tattooing a martini glass on each quad.
    Right on! Oh, I have big obliques, too. It makes me look really thick waisted from the front. I dont even work them!!

Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000) Chadillac2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Subbed. Loved the intro and definitely looking forward to following this one.

NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Keeping an eye out, I know the feeling about the obliques. 7+ years of fencing made me so unproportional....time to get to work haha Good luck!
    Powered by dat ******** shiz.
    Future dispenser of all things pharma- 2016 it gets real.
    Tar Heel

Originally Posted by NCepeeist View Post
    Keeping an eye out, I know the feeling about the obliques. 7+ years of fencing made me so unproportional....time to get to work haha Good luck!
    LOL. Massive right quad and calf, massive right front deltoid?
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

Originally Posted by Chadillac2000 View Post
    Subbed. Loved the intro and definitely looking forward to following this one.
    Welcome aboard.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NCepeeist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    LOL. Massive right quad and calf, massive right front deltoid?
    Yup. throw in about an inch difference between right and left arm and forearm! Haha thank god I've evened them out a bit.
    Tar Heel

Can. Not. Wait. To start bulking tomorrow. I'm going to go through those weights like a razorblade through butter. Iggy Pop is lined up for the iTunes - it's heavy push day. I'm hyped as f*ck and I only hope I don't injure myself for all my zeal. Problem is, I'm so excited I can't sleep.

Beware. Whatever I lift tomorrow will be PR'ed to hell by the following week. I don't expect to be strong off of this cut, but bring it on. Come at me, iron. I am Krom.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

Get it! Coming off a cut my BP went from 115->145 (5x5 scheme). I havent tried maxing it out yet, but will be doing so tommorow! Though with the lack of sleep IDK how well my lift will be, damn exams.
    Tar Heel

First day of my bulk. Crazy. I didn't sleep last night I was so excited.

Weight 186

Not gonna set any PRs today, obviously. Coming off of my cut and a shoulder injury, I'm weak as hell. Remember Monday is my low-rep day.

Push day of week A.

Flat Bench
    245 x 8
    265 x 6
    285 x 4
    315 x 2 (couldn't get the second one without a bit-o-help from my spotter.

Incline Bench
    205 x 8
    225 x 8
    245 x 7 (son of a b*tch, couldn't get the 8th one with good form. Form bad = doesn't count.)

Standing Overhead Press
    115 x 8
    135 x 8 (cheated with legs on last 2)
    135 x 8 (cheated with legs on last 3)

Close Grip Bench (smith)
    225 x 8
    225 x 8
    225 x 8

Shrugs
    275 x 20
    295 x 20
    315 x 20 (form was a bit shakey on the last 3)

Food was awesome.

Meal 1
    Bacon and Eggs.
    Turkey Sausage.
    Blueberry waffles.
    Coffee.

Meal 2
    Bacon and Eggs (yeah, I like bacon and eggs.)
    Blueberry Waffles (yup)
    Sweet Potato Fries with hot sauce
    Ben and Jerry's Peanut Brittle Icecream.

Meal 3
    Protein shake
    Sirloin Patty melt on toast
    sausage
    Fries

Cals 3047
    pro 220
    Carb 215
    Fat 147

I'm not concerned about the lifts. They'll be back up in no-time. I'm expecting PRs on BB bench in two weeks.

The hard part is reducing my fat intake. I'm trying to gradually replace fat with carbs. I usually take in 170 grams a day, so cutting it back to 147 is a good start. I'm going to make some curry-rice tonight to eat with my chicken and salmon. That should do the trick.

Ben and Jerry's Peanut Brittle is a huge letdown. So disappointed. I'm going to have to workshop this with some other things I have laying around the house and try to make it better.

Legs tomorrow. Legs are a big challenge for me. We'll see how it goes. Wednesday is back, however, which means lock up your doors and get down to your basement. Duck and cover. On back day, I punish the barbells for making me feel like a wuss on leg day.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

Thought I'd throwup my Sunday night pre-bulk meal.

I git vicious Sunday blues. No real reason since my job is very easy, pays a lot, and gives me massive amounts of time off. I think it's residual High School stuff. Anyway, I usually cleanse myself with some amazing food and a gin martini.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In on this. I agree in 1 and 5 in the op.
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    In on this. I agree in 1 and 5 in the op.
    Speaking of which, how's your back? Is that why deadlifts are out for you?
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Speaking of which, how's your back? Is that why deadlifts are out for you?
    Some days good some days bad. It bothered me during deads last week and squatting Saturday
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In-- this log looks interesting.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000)
    In for the destruction of weights.
    BTK - Work. Hustle. Kill.

5/3/1 Winter Bulk - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137721563

PB's
    Bench: 240x5
    Squat: 285x3
    Deadlift: 405x2

Originally Posted by SideSteal View Post
    In-- this log looks interesting.
    Welcome aboard.

Breakfast was eggs, bacon, waffles, and sausage. Not a good start to my whole "let's try lower fats" thing. It's okay. I blame the weights and I will be collecting out of their ass when I see them today.

I've got a long day of work ahead of me and will likely only be able to fit two meals into the day. Leg session will be in the afternoon. I started doing legs later in my training and as a result, they're not as developed as they should be. It wouldn't be as bad if my back weren't so disproportionately strong. BJJ isn't like wrestling. I never put a lot of focus on legs and spent more time developing dat dere choking muscles in the back.

iPod will be loaded with BLack Flag for this one. I'm also going to wear my Turnbull AC's shirt (that's from The Warriors - for all of you young people out there.) There was a street gang with bald heads and I look like one of them.

Okay, I wanted to be one of them. F*ck it, I am.
    Attached Images
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In. Very impressive transformation and great lifts.
    My New Bulking/Nutrition Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135055561

Anti SF/FF. Pro Real Food.

Originally Posted by NordAK View Post
    In. Very impressive transformation and great lifts.
    Thanks, pal. Welcome.

Originally Posted by AWD_TURBO View Post
    In for the destruction of weights.
    Glad to have you. Weights and I - we have a hostile relationship. Based on your sig, I suppose you know what I mean.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

Had to rush my leg workout, which I hate doing. I felt okay. I never destroy on my leg days. I've got some kind of psychological block with BB squats that just screws with me. I go to parallel and keep my form tight, but Iv'e never been able to really pack on the weight. I can go much heavier than 315, but it's hit or miss and lately I've been missing more than hitting.

Squats:
    135 warmup
    225 x 8
    275 x 5
    275 x 5
    275 x 5
    275 x 5

Romanian DL: (felt super-strong on this one. Grip isn't even ALMOST giving out now.)
    225 x 8
    245 x 8
    265 x 8

Leg Press:
    630 x 8
    720 x 8
    810 x 7 (had to use my hands to assist on number 8. F**K!)

Then some:
    C Raises
    Quad and Ham xtensions.

Eating was horrible. Didn't have time to eat until 8:30pm.

Meal 1:
    Bacon and Eggs
    Sausage
    Blueberry Waffles.
    Coffee

Meal 2:
    Wendy's Jr. Deluxe Cheeseburger
    Wendy's 3/4 lbs Triple with Cheese

Meal 3:
    Protein Shake
    Waffles
    Sweet Potato Fries
    Bacon

Total:
    3190 Cals
    151 Fat
    227 Carb
    237 Pro

Still have a lot of work to do tonight. Won't be getting in the sack until very late. Tomorrow is back day (YES). I'll have to work all morning and won't get my lift in until around 9pm. That'll take a shot out of me, but luckily my back will still totally destroy all iron in sight come gym time tomorrow. Meals tomorrow will again be two big meals - one when I wake up at 8am and one when I get back from the gym around 10:30pm.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

Forgot to comment on my mood:

---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great workout today man! Wish I could squat that much. Mirin eats! SMASH Back day tomorrow!
    BTK - Work. Hustle. Kill.

5/3/1 Winter Bulk - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137721563

PB's
    Bench: 240x5
    Squat: 285x3
    Deadlift: 405x2

^^^Thanks. I wish I was 6' 2".

It's a proportionate thing. If I can bench over 300, row over 300, I should squatting close to 400. Instead, I'm built like a goddammed inverted T-rex. Big arms and back and little legs. A lot of former BJJ guys have the same issue.

On a side note, my chest and shoulders are horribly sore today. Some residual pain in my elbow. No problem for me, i've seen this sh*t before. Old injury. We're gonna hit back so hard that pain will leap out of my body and onto that douche doing curls in the squat rack.

Off to bed.

Tonight's film....thinking about Straw Dogs (the original, you losers) or maybe Key Largo, the Bogey one. Gonna eat a goodnight piece of bacon to help me sleep.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Subbed

Some good hardcore training. Like this. Will definitely follow. Train hard, man!
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

It's a proportionate thing. If I can bench over 300, row over 300, I should squatting close to 400. Instead, I'm built like a goddammed inverted T-rex. Big arms and back and little legs. A lot of former BJJ guys have the same issue.
    I feel ya, disproportionate ftl.