Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Possible aneurysm? Help!!

A couple days ago I began lifting againg after a three month break, which in and of itself is another story, but anyways, on the third set of my barbell flat bench, I had the worst sudden headache I have ever had in my life. It took all I had not to just yell in pain. The pain subsided after about 20 seconds, so I tried another set....same thing. Being that I had just gotten back into my routine, I thought I would stop and try again the next day. Come the next day, I got that same sudden headache doing pullups.

Usually my philosophy to injuries and pain is to "wait it out" and most the time it goes away. Head injuries, with that extreme of pain scare me a bit, so I went to the doc and they ordered a CTA scan. The results came back yesterday and they want me to go back in and get another one in a more specific area where they said they may see possible rupture. Right now I feel like absolute crap....worthless since I can't lift, and anxious as hell awaiting to hear when my next scan will be. And when it does, what will the results say?

So, my question is this....Have any of you ever experienced anything like this yourselves, with the sudden severe headache? And if you have, how long were you out of lifting? I would greatly appreciate any feedback from you guys, as I am sitting here going crazy not being able to lift, not to mention the fact that I may have a ruptured vessel in my head.

Thank you.

CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyJunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have before, except I just got into lifting, I was more a Cardio Demon, I would run then feel the sides of my head feel likes it being pushed in then BAM headache, even during the Decemeber which was pretty cold in florida last season. I got Scans, etc, everything came back to me normal. And if your not lifting and you still urge too, pick up a Muscle and Fitness Mag, and learn what you can be doing when you go back.
    When I'm in a rock band, I'm gonna do a cool, mellow song. Then in the middle I'll stop, announce "This part is just to be an ******* to people playing Guitar Hero," and then fail wildly on the strings for 30 seconds

Miscer Black Ops - Code Name Junkie

kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Been there.

I've gone through similar headaches. Mine almost always happen during incline or overhead pressing movements. Pure, unadulterated, agony. It was unimaginable pain for someone who hasn't gone through it. Tunnel vision, stars, and a headache that sometimes made me vomit. It felt like the side of my head was on fire. If you've played football and had a wicked stinger, imagine one right above your ear.

Turns out this isn't as uncommon as you might think.

For me, it was a severely strained trap muscle which had lesioned, and was leaking blood. The swelling was causing muscle spasms up my neck and along the side of my head.

Once properly diagnosed, I could work against it. Still, it took a good 3-4 weeks of light work before I could do sets to failure w/o the headache returning.

I'm not a doctor, and please don't mistake my post for medical advice. My problems required a doctor, and I advise you to see one, and confirm what might be wrong.

Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meticulous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I am hopefully going to see a doc today or tomorrow. I need to get back in the game. This is killing me.

bump

™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ™da1™ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try breathing during your set i know u might say u do but most people hold there breath to push more naturally gota keep the oxygen fllowing and it is easy to get a headache if all the blood is rushing to the body part your working out
    At the end of the day its the internet.

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    holy crap dude that sounds bad, stop lifting altogether and keep us updated on what happens. good luck
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COOP1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Had the same thing happen to me a year ago, it sucked big time! I was doing heavy leg presses, and all of the sudden it felt like somthing exloded in my head. It was like I could feel the blood rushing all though m head. I waited 5 minutes and tied it again, but it hurt to bad. Long story short, went to the ER, got a cat scan and against my will, got a spinal tap as well. Doc also made me do a CT scan two days later. I had a headache for 4 days, later after Doc got all the test ran, he said it was a "zinger"(pinched nerve). He said take a few weeks off, and call him if I had it happen again. It hurts every ounce in awhile,but I just shake it off.
    REPUBLICAN

Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marcus8880 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds like someoen wasnt breathing properly while working out... Even if subconciously you hold your breath once it'll shoot your blood perssure up.. And the more times you do it and the more times it goes up, the harder it is to go down... Im surprisde there isnt a sitcky thread on bloodpressure, breathing and headaches while working out..

Thanks a lot for the responses. I hope to get my MRA set up some time this week, and hopefully get back to the weights early next week. I feel like a big turd not being able to lift.

FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10) FNULNU is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Meticulous View Post
    Thanks a lot for the responses. I hope to get my MRA set up some time this week, and hopefully get back to the weights early next week. I feel like a big turd not being able to lift.
    Better to feel like a turd than dead.

Hope it works out for ya.

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Marcus8880 View Post
    Sounds like someoen wasnt breathing properly while working out... Even if subconciously you hold your breath once it'll shoot your blood perssure up.. And the more times you do it and the more times it goes up, the harder it is to go down... Im surprisde there isnt a sitcky thread on bloodpressure, breathing and headaches while working out..
    got anymore info on this? interesting....
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenwa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Blood pressure headaches are sometimes accompanied by bloodshot eyes, and dizziness.

Any of those?

marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marty01606 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just posted the same problem in the ask the Chiro Section. That is the worst pain i have ever felt in my life though. I believe (this is my opinion) it has to do with how your neck is positioned on the rep you hurt on if you were pushing hard and picked up your head slightly I think you could pull something. I also did it once doing curls. The worst pain ever lifting. Listen to your body and make sure your form is strict.

Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok, I've experienced this once or twice before but yesterday was the ultimate. About a week ago it happened for the first time in about 10 years. It started in the back of my neck and went up the base of the skull into my head, like a rubberband was just tightened up. Forgot what I was doing but after a few minutes the rubberband loosened and it was business as usual.

Yesterday though I started off with a really light set of dumbells just going through the motions for the initial morning stretch. Towards the last reps. it started again on my right side. Cognitive of it I tried another set slowly, breathing properly, but as soon as I had to put some resistance it came back again. I assure you my breathing was as it should be throughout the whole ordeal. As I progressed through my workout the pain shifted to my other side of my neck/head. That's why I figured it wasn't an internal injury, but it got worse and worse, especially on the flat bench. Any stress of pushing a little harder and the pain was excruciating. Then it stopped 'going away' after the set. So I quite and went to cardio. I did low intensity interval training and when resistance increased so did this pain to the point that after 4 minutes I was done. Barely made it home, grabbed some old Vicodin and dropped for about 1/2 hour waiting for that 'tight rubberband in my head' to loosen. It finally went down to a small grinding headache which lasted and is still somewhat there today. Even towards the end of walking my dog it started flaring again last night.

The only thing different in my workout was a sinus problem flaring up from allergies and barometric changes. I know my breathing and form were not to blame as I was aware of them throughout the workout. It definetly was horrible and I was almost on my way to the ER. But it seems it isn't as uncommon as I figured. I do believe, though, in my case the sinus cavities are somewhat involved. Good luck and I hope your test come back negative and maybe the pinched nerve theory is the correct one.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Aneurysms and other vascular problems are certainly NOT my area of expertise. But as a chiropractor I am tried to recognize a potential cerebro-vascular problem. With that being said, when a patients states that they did or are experiencing the worst headache they've ever had and it's a sudden onset, that's a red flag that it could be a cerebro-vascular problem (ie aneurysm).

But keep this in mind, even if that's what it is, it could still be quite small and not cause a long term problem. Kind of like how some heart attacks are actually small and inconsequential - sometimes the person doesn't even know they had one.

I sincerely hope your prognosis is good!

Best.
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allclear2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do a Google or Yahoo search on 'Weight-Lifters Cephalgia' and 'Benign Exertional Headache'. Lots of info. and it describes the symptoms just like you(and I) have experienced. Of course if it persists and doesn't go away definitely have it checked out, which is what you have done. Good luck.

porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    http://www.kingmaker.net/DeadDoctorstxt.html

Read this. Dr Wallach addresses aneurysms.
    I use Dr Wallach's formulas and have for 10 years. I have seen great results in myself and others. Amazing results, that have happened again and again so as to dispute any idea that it may have just been lucky. PM me if you want to know what some of those results have been.

jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This happened to me a little over a month ago during a benchpress. I accidentally held my breath on the last rep, and it felt like something inside my head exploded. It can only be discribed as the worst headache you can imagine.

I tried warming up the next day with some bw pullups but after the third rep it came back and lasted just as long. I did some reading about weightlifters headache and decided to try again a week later. I felt it start to come back (even though I was using much lighter weights), so I stopped and waited another week. It took three weeks before it went away fully, and even after three weeks I still "felt" it. It was very very mild, but I could still feel a pressure in that same area (it wasnt painful). It's been about 5 weeks since it happened, and I can work out 100% again, I can't even feel it. I suggest you don't do anything for at least a week. Then ease into any physical activity from there on out.