emusoda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

deadlift lower back pain

I tried doing dead lifts for the first time and I'm not sure if the pain that I'm experiencing is bad or good. I had a friend watch me (he doesn't work out) but I showed him some vids so he would know what to look for in form. He said my form was good, my back was straight the whole time. Now it's been a couple days since I did it and i have some pain in my lower back. It's not a sharp pain or anything extreme, could it just be doms? I only feel the pain if i tighten my back muscles or if I bend certain ways. The pain isn't in my spine area, it's in the side area of my lower back.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by emusoda View Post
    could it just be doms? I only feel the pain if i tighten my back muscles or if I bend certain ways.
    Most likely it is.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Make sure you are not using too much weight. Hell, start off with just the bar to ensure your form is correct.

hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I tried doing dead lifts for the first time and I'm not sure if the pain that I'm experiencing is bad or good. I had a friend watch me (he doesn't work out) but I showed him some vids so he would know what to look for in form. He said my form was good, my back was straight the whole time. Now it's been a couple days since I did it and i have some pain in my lower back. It's not a sharp pain or anything extreme, could it just be doms? I only feel the pain if i tighten my back muscles or if I bend certain ways. The pain isn't in my spine area, it's in the side area of my lower back.
    You say you had a friend who doesn't work out watch it and he said your form was good? Sounds like an odd person to ask about a form check. Anyways, if you are feeling pain like not muscle soreness (You should be able to tell the difference), your form is probably off.

post a vid here...you might get better feedback.

Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hmmm...i just started SS 4-5 months ago so the first weeks are still pretty fresh in my mind. I dont remember being sore 3 days after my first deads day...of course i started with an empty bar. What weight did you use?

Even when i am sore from deads, its more like a stiffness from exertion....not injury.
    Fierce Five log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172189533&p=1457532133

Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frozn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by eldawg View Post
    Make sure you are not using too much weight. Hell, start off with just the bar to ensure your form is correct.
    This.. I would get your body used to the flexability first and than start working weight.. Although the bar is quite light.. I usually use it to stretch before I start with weight...

The lower back is a difficult place to judge pain vs soreness unless you have experienced some sort of back issue. DOMS in the lower back are more constant and a tight pulling. An injury (obviously each is different) but from my experience actual pain from injury is more sporatic, increases/decreases, is very sharp and usually focused in a small area and not throughout the entire muscle...

emusoda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hyacinth30 View Post
    You say you had a friend who doesn't work out watch it and he said your form was good? Sounds like an odd person to ask about a form check. Anyways, if you are feeling pain like not muscle soreness (You should be able to tell the difference), your form is probably off.

post a vid here...you might get better feedback.
    Well I got some vids of dead lift forms from this site to show him what to look for. The pain really isn't that bad, I've had doms in my arms and chest that killed compared to this.

Originally Posted by Cheap5.0 View Post
    Hmmm...i just started SS 4-5 months ago so the first weeks are still pretty fresh in my mind. I dont remember being sore 3 days after my first deads day...of course i started with an empty bar. What weight did you use?

Even when i am sore from deads, its more like a stiffness from exertion....not injury.
    I used about 100lbs, it was relativity easy but I could really feel it in my legs after about 15 minutes. Yeah it's like a stiffness, my lower back seems like it's tighter.

t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I got some vids of dead lift forms from this site to show him what to look for. The pain really isn't that bad, I've had doms in my arms and chest that killed compared to this.

I used about 100lbs, it was relativity easy but I could really feel it in my legs after about 15 minutes. Yeah it's like a stiffness, my lower back seems like it's tighter.
    As previously posted by others and yourself, the pain between a "working soreness" and an injury should be apparent. If you are using less than 135 and the plates aren't at the "standard" height, you might be lowering the bar to low as well. Go swim, stretch, drink water.
    I Rep Back.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=671123731#post671123731

^Try to make it happen^

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Video yourself. No need to second guess your form...if you're still unsure then post it up in here.

Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suggest ask someone in the gym or even a trainer to watch you do a few reps and see how you are going. Form suffers more so when lifting heavier weights. Since it was your first time, you should start with just the bar, however, I feel with the bar I am just 'too powerful' for it alone, so I like to add on extra weight. Also I would recommend a belt when working with your lower back, you do not want to be back here in 20-30years with a bad back and I am laughing saying, "I told you so"

Registered User |}373r/\/\1n3|)'s Avatar
    |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) |}373r/\/\1n3|) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are still sore when your next deadlifting day rolls around, then maybe try rack pulls instead that day. Just google them if you are not sure what they are. I used these before transitioning to deadlifts and I believe it helped a ton. Gave me more time perfecting the technique before I dropped the bar lower and helped strengthen my back to prepare it for full out deads.
    "Watch your thoughts, for they become your words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Destination2010 View Post
    I suggest ask someone in the gym or even a trainer to watch you do a few reps and see how you are going. Form suffers more so when lifting heavier weights. Since it was your first time, you should start with just the bar, however, I feel with the bar I am just 'too powerful' for it alone, so I like to add on extra weight. Also I would recommend a belt when working with your lower back, you do not want to be back here in 20-30years with a bad back and I am laughing saying, "I told you so"
    This. Check on your form AND flexibility. Can you at least touch your toes? I had one deadlift injury way back when maxing--silly pushing things to the limit--and that injury, while it's 90% healed it will always linger. It's definitely not an exercise to be treated carelessly.

Of you have lower back soreness/fatigue this is GOOD. Posterior has worked out properly, and don't mistake this for an injury. The difference is significant to a more sharp, intense pain usually caused by your discs up against your nerve. Sciatica can be an issue, I've had it before.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.